Midwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/07, 04:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dly

Auto's are for wussy's who let their wifes drive their cars

My wife doesn't even want to drive my car, that's not an issue.

Originally Posted by blkstang06
You know that and I know that, but thats how there advertising these!
Oh baby, don't get me started on advertising and marketing theory; I hear ya man I hear ya.

Originally Posted by dly
For those who would like to see what Tom is getting into:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=97933

If you think it will run you a grand ,you might as well double that figure with all the smaller items you will need
Shifter, new console, all the little things etc.etc.

save yourself a big headache and buy a clutch and be done with it.

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
That would quite an undertaking I would think. If you solely make you decision based on dollars I would think a new clutch,pressure plate and flywheel would still be much cheaper. The install time for each would be similiar. But I also think the transmission crossmember and radiator are also different in an auto trans car. I believe the auto trans cars have a trans fluid cooler in the radiator.
Scott
You two guys kinda disappoint me, if you think I haven't done my homework on this. You should know by now that I joke around alot but I do A LOT of research on my mods. Darrell I can get the complete setup: trans, converter, ECM, harness, shifter, pedal assembly, etc. for $800 plus freight or a 12 hour drive if I want to haul myself. Scott the crossmember is different however it can be used with slight modification or I could just pick a new one up pretty easily. I don't think the radiators are any different; if they are, I'd just pickup this: http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...lay.php?gid=12

Anyway not to debate this with you guys...... like I said I'm undecided what I want to do. I'm not that worried about track times (Scott, ) however just the ability to punch it from a stoplight and have the pull from 4.10s and the blower pull you through the gears sounds exciting. I don't know what I'll do yet. It also depends on the new TCI-prepped 5R55, which will be available in February and I have a lead setup with a vendor to receive additional info on January 14 (and no, it's not Brenspeed, poster boys!).
Old 12/18/07, 04:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
My wife doesn't even want to drive my car, that's not an issue.

Oh baby, don't get me started on advertising and marketing theory; I hear ya man I hear ya.

You two guys kinda disappoint me, if you think I haven't done my homework on this. You should know by now that I joke around alot but I do A LOT of research on my mods. Darrell I can get the complete setup: trans, converter, ECM, harness, shifter, pedal assembly, etc. for $800 plus freight or a 12 hour drive if I want to haul myself. Scott the crossmember is different however it can be used with slight modification or I could just pick a new one up pretty easily. I don't think the radiators are any different; if they are, I'd just pickup this: http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...lay.php?gid=12

Anyway not to debate this with you guys...... like I said I'm undecided what I want to do. I'm not that worried about track times (Scott, ) however just the ability to punch it from a stoplight and have the pull from 4.10s and the blower pull you through the gears sounds exciting. I don't know what I'll do yet. It also depends on the new TCI-prepped 5R55, which will be available in February and I have a lead setup with a vendor to receive additional info on January 14 (and no, it's not Brenspeed, poster boys!).

Well it is a big change no less. I am not 100% sure about the radiator but every Ford I own today has a trans cooler built into the radiator. They are all automatics including the 70 Mach1. I would have to go look at my stang to see for sure. I am not debating with you... just looking at the change for what it is. It is not a small change. As for 1/4 time and leaving a stop light running thru the gears I would just say go look at Don W.'s track posts. They are pretty awesome.
Scott
Old 12/18/07, 04:47 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I like having my hand on my stick, no auto's for me
Old 12/18/07, 04:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I very much enjoy shifting gears myself too. I had a red '05 with automatic before getting the silver '06 with manual, I definitely like the manual much better, much more fun to drive.
Old 12/18/07, 05:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Glenn , Thank the bean counters 6 speeds cost more bucks! As far as gas mileage I averaged a solid 28 MPG on my last 220 mile road trip, and that was running between 80-90 mile an hour. the only engine mods C&L CAI, Steeda UDP's and Steeda headers!....
with those speeds I was getting 23mpg last year. So you did good. I want to do the jlt and a tuner but I also want to go with a turbo or a s/c with in the next year or so.
Old 12/18/07, 05:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The Bullitt muffler, Fords new magic muffler! they claim it will make the 4.6 sound like a 390 GT ....and they only want 580.00 a pair for them...
f that lol
Old 12/18/07, 05:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly

Auto's are for wussy's who let their wifes drive their cars
autos are those people that want to wins races
Old 12/18/07, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Glenn

I'm a little bias but
Old 12/18/07, 07:12 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Glenn

MMMMMM I brought my car to drive and have fun with ...not to race

If I wanted to race I would have spent another 20 grand and brought a fast car.
Old 12/18/07, 07:15 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

And I stand by my statement to double your estimate. Every project I started has nickle and dimed me to death.
Old 12/18/07, 07:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Any sound clips out there anywhere??
Not that I know of!....notice the serration's on the inside of the tip! thats deferent. Scott why don't you buy a set and post some sound clips...you can give them to your wife with the headers for Christmas......
Attached Images  
Old 12/18/07, 07:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by dly
And I stand by my statement to double your estimate. Every project I started has nickle and dimed me to death.
Theres always cost over runs!......But I think Tom is headed in the right direction with the possible auto swap!! a TCI StreetFighter and their new auto shifter would be a bad to the bone combo!...
Old 12/19/07, 05:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dly

Maybe that's 'cus all of your projects end up being wrapped in leather, carbon fiber, or.......... mirrors.

Just kidding Darrell, I know what you're saying. Thanks.
Old 12/19/07, 06:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Maybe that's 'cus all of your projects end up being wrapped in leather, carbon fiber, or.......... mirrors.

Just kidding Darrell, I know what you're saying. Thanks.
Darrell this post reminded me, do you have any pics since you installed the Disco ball....
Old 12/19/07, 08:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

http://www.madville.com/link.php?id=179108&t=19
how many 5 yr olds can you beat up
Old 12/19/07, 08:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly
MMMMMM I brought my car to drive and have fun with ...not to race

If I wanted to race I would have spent another 20 grand and brought a fast car.
me too
Old 12/19/07, 11:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Reinstalled my factory over-axle pipe & GTA's today.
What a difference It is now about half as loud than with the mid-mufflers.
Scott,you'll want to use the H without resonators if you keep your GTA's on. It's quieter now than with the factory H,cats & mid-muffler system. Sounds alot like Steve's car from Stangstock. Really wakes up above 3000,nice distinct header tone. Cruise & idle are quiet. The GTA's give it a deeper rumble than with the Pypes straight-thru mufflers, but the 'burble' it used to have when deaccelerating is just about gone. No drone @ any speed or RPM which is nice. I'll get some vids next week.
Old 12/19/07, 01:41 PM
Cobra Member

Seems like long tube headers and GTA mufflers go very well together, I'd like to hear a clip of that. I really like the way my car sounds with the GTA's, seems like long tube headers would be a great way of making the car sound even better.
Old 12/19/07, 04:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
Reinstalled my factory over-axle pipe & GTA's today.
What a difference It is now about half as loud than with the mid-mufflers.
Scott,you'll want to use the H without resonators if you keep your GTA's on. It's quieter now than with the factory H,cats & mid-muffler system. Sounds alot like Steve's car from Stangstock. Really wakes up above 3000,nice distinct header tone. Cruise & idle are quiet. The GTA's give it a deeper rumble than with the Pypes straight-thru mufflers, but the 'burble' it used to have when deaccelerating is just about gone. No drone @ any speed or RPM which is nice. I'll get some vids next week.

Larry,
So I take it you are happy with the GTA's? I know it is not about how many decibels I can get out of these exhaust. I just want to get a nice aggressive sounding exhaust that does not have that drone crap going on. As soon as I get done with this post I am going to order my OBX headers. Here is what I plan to do with mine in the long run. Since you get 2 H-pipe set ups with these headers I am going to install the set with the resonators for awhile and then with the second set I am going to fabricate a prochamber box like I have now. I think you will be impressed how much it lowers the tone of the exhaust. I have already found the required 304 SS at work for this project. I ready to get this done!!!!!
Scott
Old 12/19/07, 09:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

2008 Bullitt Muffler - Passenger Side
Muffler Designed by Ford to match the sound of the 1968 GT390 featured in the movie "Bullitt"
Fits 2005-2008 Mustang GT
Compare at $298.49

8R3Z-5230-A
Your Cost
$239.99

You Save
$58.50

2008 Bullitt Muffler - Driver Side
Muffler Designed by Ford to match the sound of the 1968 GT390 featured in the movie "Bullitt"
Fits 2005-2008 Mustang GT
Compare at $298.49

8R3Z-5230-B
Your Cost
$239.99

You Save
$58.50

Fords anwser you dont need no headers H pipes just these!

Quick Reply: Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread