2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

More Quality Lapses

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/06, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Galaxie
It almost seems as if the thread is running its course
I believe it has run it's course. I'm not really sure why it hasn't been closed already... Please close it and stop feeding the troll he seems to be enjoying it...
Old 5/18/06, 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Unfortunately, Galaxie, I think certain members here are more interested in prolonging some sort of "thread war" - and grandstanding - than acknowledging that their viewpoint might be at best, biased, and at worst, erroneous.
Incredible! You just described yourself!

I provided a real-world example of how a soft plastic dash dryed up and cracked over the years and is repaired with a hard plastic dash cap.

You ASSume that the S197 Mustang hard plastic dash will dry up and crack since to you it's "cheap plastic". But nobody in the public has an S197 dash that's over two years old! This is not about a "thread war"-- this is about disproving these unproven ASSumptions that you and other people make because that aren't based in reality, just on your preconceived notions of Fords.

Interestingly, Ihave looked at the carpets in many competitors' cars,
and my observations tend to confirm what John's pictures ACTUALLY show: better quality carpeting that is glued or tacked or bolted down.
Please tell us all which picture that I posted shows this!
let me remind you what you first said:
Anybody with a GT, look up under the dash behind the pedals. Near as I could see, Ford couldn't be bothered to carpet the floor all the way up (you can see insulation), and worse yet, didn't properly tack or bolt the carpet down.
So I did just that, and took a picture of my '06 Mustang. I also found pictures of a 350Z, G35 and RSX.
The pictures I posted show:

• The carpet in my own 2006 Mustang ends under the pedals and smooth, molded black foam firewall insulation is exposed. The carpet lays down smoothly against the floor.

• Nissan 350Z carpet ends under the pedals , and has firewall insulation showing,just like an S197 Mustang. The insulation is gray fiber.
  • G35 carpet goes up higher on the left side of the floor only, while the carpet ends under the pedals exposing sheet metal, bolt heads, and insulation, which actually looks more unfinished that the S197 Mustang.
  • Acura RSX carpet ends under the pedals the same as a S197 Mustang, but has a jagged, crooked upper edge that doesn't exactly scream "high quality".
How the heck did you come to the ASSumption that pictures show " better quality carpeting that is glued or tacked or bolted down" in the Z, G35 and RSX ? It must take a whole lot of imagination (or poor eyesight). Did you reach into the pictures and pull on the carpet to see if it was glued down?
As to plastics, it's been widely acknowledged by many, many automotive journalists that the Mustang's most significant shortcoming is the "acres and acres of cheap plastic" in the interior. If some people here can't see it, that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not up to the standards of most cars priced similarly to the GT. End of story.
The FACT is, these "journalists" are giving their subjective OPINIONS. If your opinion is that the s197 Mustang is not up to your standards, don't buy one and quit complaining about it .

Buy an import, stick your head under the dash and enjoy the smug feeling of knowing your carpet is "high quality", and the exquisite ecstasy of squeezing the "soft touch" plastic interior. We all know how important that is to you...

John, I know you and some others on this thread are getting a rise out of plotting responses to try and somehow "defeat" me in this debate
No, it's about was all about dispelling your ASSumptions about the S197 Mustang's quality.
(trust me, I could do this all day),
Bring it....
but the evidence backs me, not you. Wishing something to be so, does not make it so. So I propose that we just agree to disagree, because we're clearly never going to reach a consensus on this issue.
What evidence? Kindly show me what evidence you are referring to. Are you referring the the pictures I posted, where you are trying to twist them around using you imagination to show something they don't show?
Old 5/18/06, 04:58 PM
Cobra Member

Again, do some research before flying off at the mouth. There have been plenty of complaints about the plastic in the new Mustang scratching easily on these forums - there may even be a comment in this thread somewhere, if I remember correctly.
You, of all people, are demanding that others do research to back up their statements and provide proof? You, sir, should take your own advice and stop being so hypocritical.
Old 5/18/06, 05:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

oh man lol. this is great. just a thought though. BC_Shelby you said "i rest my case" that means you have to stop talking
Old 5/18/06, 07:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Again, most import vehicles in the same price range as a Mustang GT.
I am interested in the specific manufacturers and models you use as benchmarks. For example, the Honda Accord picture posted previously does show uneven cuts in the carpet. One might consider that shoddy or cutting corners.

Thank you for just proving my point. I rest my case.
I posted those pictures because the SN-95 car's carpeting is less nicely attached. The S197 car is different in design and in assembly procedures. It is my opinion that comparing the past and present Mustangs show acceptable (to me) improvement.

In the MINI, there is a larger area of exposed metal, although it is definitely tacked down better.
Old 5/18/06, 08:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06

Buy an import, stick your head under the dash and enjoy the smug feeling of knowing your carpet is "high quality"

Nice John, this is excellent.....
Old 5/18/06, 08:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
...the Mini has plenty of problems of its own, like the lack of leather seats (vinyl seating surfaces all around, which is disgraceful given what they charge).
Leather is an option.

Since people don't seem to want to let this go, allow me to cite yet another example of where Ford cut corners in the Stang: the HVAC controls. Those rotating dials have to be some of the lightest, flimsiest ***** I've seen yet.
What do you consider a benchmark (specific manufacturer and model)?

I think this thread has outlived its usefulness.
Only if the sniping continues...otherwise, I welcome seeing "point-counterpoint". I will be looking at these things and asking Ford reps at Woodward this year what they think about it.
Old 5/18/06, 08:47 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much do you think it would cost to eventually upgrade the plastic dash and door sides in our car? Is that even feasible???..I am addicted to mods Please HELP
Old 5/19/06, 05:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Let's see you "nit-pick all my mistakes" PLEASE, Mr. "rediculous" (I think you mean ridiculous).

Buh-bye now!
Out of the entire post, that's your response? My typo?

And the emoticons are getting a little old. You're supposed to be a writer? Is this how you are supposed to express the tone of your writing? Maybe you should start using them in your articles....you might pick up a few more readers.

And you have to use an exhausted exit line that was part of a Saturday Night Live bit....that's original. I'd love to see where you get the rest of your material.
Old 5/21/06, 03:04 PM
Cobra Member

Was looking closely at a GT on the lot today (lots of them on the lots these days, it seems), and noticed another - what I would consider egregious - example of cost-cutting that helps make my argument about how Ford only did a half-way job on this car.

Anybody with a GT, look up under the dash behind the pedals. Near as I could see, Ford couldn't be bothered to carpet the floor all the way up (you can see insulation), and worse yet, didn't properly tack or bolt the carpet down.

Seeing how my car was under a cover the last ten days due to all the rain in my area I finally got around to checking out the area. In my opinon as a "Finish Carpenter", I see that the people at Ford did a fine job. The foam insulation is attached and fully covers the firewall. The carpet is clean cut and is high enough. Tacking carpet is for flooring, not for vehicles. No the carpet is not attached under the pedals, but is heldown at nearby kick covers like anyother vehicle.

I mean, I know they've cut corners, I know they've deleted many convenience features, I know they used cheap plastic on the inside...but this is just plain sad. I've never see anything like this on any car before. Not to mention looking like crap, what happens when that whole thing gets dirty, and you find yourself having to vacuum insulation instead of carpet (??) or the carpet catches into your shoes or somehow gets caught up into the pedal mechanisms...?
I know of more convenience features added from the days of my Cobra, with more coming for O7 and of none deleted. Seems you have not looked at many vehicles lately. Vaccum the foam insulation? Shoes belong nowhere near the insualtion. If the foam ever needed cleaning, its a dream job over fiber. The carpet is not going to catch on the back of the pedals. As for catching into shoes, well those type of soles belong on a wooden floor. Anyone wearing them on carpet is plain inconsiderate.

To make matters worse, the Ford parts manager at the dealership - whose family are long-time Ford fans and performance nuts - candidly and quietly admitted to me that he has MAJOR issues with Ford quality, and says that it is still way, way behind.

It's his job to deal with problems. If problems are eliminated so is his job!

This post of your visual opinion, is an additional reason I have little respect for Editors in general. They tend to change around the facts, to try and make a story.
Old 5/21/06, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont know why all of you complain about the interior. It's sturdy, nice looking ,and these "cheap plastics" dont scratch if you accidentally bang your coat zipper against them.

People absolutelyt praise the Mazda 3 because of the extremely nice looking plastic in the interior, but ya wanna know how easy it scratches? Im not kidding, you could accidentally scratch the interior of your car up if you had a long fingernail.

I think it looks nice, I could care less how much the material costs, and I dont know why you are all so obsessed with this.