2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

More Quality Lapses

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/06, 10:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by incomingRPG
Those are pretty strong accusations Mark, too bad NONE OF IT IS TRUE. You have your facts all wrong... http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=47185
My original post...The price of gas will change people's buying habits. (Yes, some of us will still buy our Mustang's.) But daily driven vehicles with long commutes will eventually change. Honda and Toyota are ready to meet that challenge today. Unfortunately, it will probably be years before the "domestic" manufacturers have an answer.

For that I was called a moron by jcopin...do you work for honda??
lol that sounds like a press release
the domestics have no tiny cars??
moron

My response to being called a Moron was...No, I don't work for Honda, personally I would not buy either, but I would praise Ford IF they had an answer. So are you trying to be Beavis or Butthead with the moron comment? Congratulations, I think you've succeeded!

Looks like you're trying to spray me like a skunk.
Alright, I stand corrected. I misread the posts. It doesn't change the fact that you started the name calling in this thread (and continue to do so). My lazy and blind comments were my assessment of your inane assertion that the Fusion and '94 Accord look the same. Truth be told, you used the blind comment before I did.

As for spraying you like a skunk: you don't need any help from me in that department. You do a great job of spraying yourself.

I think everyone in this thread has had about enough of us taking shots at each other. If you wish to continue it, PM me.
Old 5/15/06, 10:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tech
This is a good article that is related to this topic. Hopefully it will change some minds in here:

http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/bamw...11-autos.shtml
thats what i been talking about

the other dork just sounded so **** cheesy there up to the challenge .. god someone beat me with my own shoe for your info chevy has a fit / yaris called the aveo

fords got a focus / mazda 3 etc i dont care what mieage the thing gets... its a lawnmower with seats .. 105 hp for yaris .. god .. cant wait to be behind these things getting on the higway ..joy
Old 5/15/06, 12:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jason929rr
Ford didn't carpet all the way up in the back!??! Thats it! i'm trading her in!
Me too. First thing in the morning, trading in mine for KIA, I heard they have very good carpets in their cars.
Old 5/15/06, 04:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
That was my point. Unfortunately, as you can see from all the posts here, one cannot criticize any of the car's serious shortcomings without being flamed or accused of being a troll.
No "troll accusations" thrown your way by me...not sure if I would consider the carpet item as a serious shortcoming though.

(for those who cited Pontiac as an example, 'fraid they don't count).
I mentioned the interior of a Saturn, which I would not consider "world-class". I would reserve that description for Lexus, Acura, and Audi. However, the people looking at the Sky when I was looking at it thought the interior was a "quality" interior. Perception is reality, as it is said.

While people here blast me for my criticisms and sing the blue oval's praises, Ford's market share continues to dwindle.
No blasting, just discussing. It is unfortunate the market share is going down. I would love to see another SE Mustang between the GT and GT500. Unfortunately, I think it will be difficult to cost justify one, given this reality. That is why I hope for Ford's comeback...purely selfish Mustang reasons!

So, I wonder the best way is to provide the carpet feedback to Ford using one of their formal communication processes?
Old 5/15/06, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Alright, I stand corrected. I misread the posts. It doesn't change the fact that you started the name calling in this thread (and continue to do so). My lazy and blind comments were my assessment of your inane assertion that the Fusion and '94 Accord look the same. Truth be told, you used the blind comment before I did.

As for spraying you like a skunk: you don't need any help from me in that department. You do a great job of spraying yourself.

I think everyone in this thread has had about enough of us taking shots at each other. If you wish to continue it, PM me.
Mark, I never started any name calling here. If my agreeing with BC's post #10 "More excuses for poor workmanship from the blindly devoted, I guess." is the start of name calling, I disagree. You had not even made a post at that point, so how can you think it was directed at you. To the contrary you are the one that started the name calling in post #23. Perhaps another case of you misreading the posts.

Truthfully, I tried to avoid all of this with you, but I will defend myself. Somewhere else you stated that certain people tend to bring it out of you. I guess that I happen to be one of those. For that reason alone, if I see you making posts, I will actually avoid making posts contrary to your point of view. Perhaps we could have a gentlemen's agreement to avoid taking shots at each other in the future?

Or you can PM me and tell me how you really feel about me, I noticed that you edited that part out. Go ahead if you want, I have no desire to respond, because I really don't care.

If you chose to follow that path, please be advised that I won't read any PM from you.
Old 5/15/06, 05:22 PM
V6 Member

Ford built the stang to look good outside and go fast. Oh ya to put a huge smile on your face when you drive it. The Mustang is designed from the begianing to go fast. The Camary may only be 32 HP shy of 300 but its how it is put together. I own a 86 GT at 200 HP (completly stock) and can still take cars rated with more HP. And hay at least it's not $75K with the roof cracking or flying off like the vett.
Old 5/15/06, 06:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by incomingRPG
Mark, I never started any name calling here. If my agreeing with BC's post #10 "More excuses for poor workmanship from the blindly devoted, I guess." is the start of name calling, I disagree. You had not even made a post at that point, so how can you think it was directed at you. To the contrary you are the one that started the name calling in post #23. Perhaps another case of you misreading the posts.

Truthfully, I tried to avoid all of this with you, but I will defend myself. Somewhere else you stated that certain people tend to bring it out of you. I guess that I happen to be one of those. For that reason alone, if I see you making posts, I will actually avoid making posts contrary to your point of view. Perhaps we could have a gentlemen's agreement to avoid taking shots at each other in the future?

Or you can PM me and tell me how you really feel about me, I noticed that you edited that part out. Go ahead if you want, I have no desire to respond, because I really don't care.

If you chose to follow that path, please be advised that I won't read any PM from you.
My post #23 is nothing more than your post #10 re-phrased to make the opposite point of view. Yet somehow, my post is name-calling and yours isn't? Whatever dude....

As to my editing of my original post, I decided that particular part was uncalled for and withdrew it.

If you want to make a gentleman's agreement, that's fine with me. I've grown weary of this anyway so let's call it over and done.
Old 5/15/06, 07:26 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation Warning!

No more poop flingin' and back on topic guys....
...take it to personal messaging if you want to yap at each other.

Old 5/15/06, 07:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
No more poop flingin' and back on topic guys....
...take it to personal messaging if you want to yap at each other.

I'm done. No need to bring out the bat Mister Admin!
Old 5/15/06, 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll put it back on topic for ya Boomer ! Going to reply to your post.....#38.

I guess you could call my wife and I conquest buyers. You see years ago (muscle car era) I was strictly a GM guy. In the last 20 years or so, my wife and I went to Japanese products. In 01 we decided to try a Ford product, so we bought a new Ranger 4x4 xtra cab loaded. For the first 2 years I could'nt keep it out of the shop. Almost drove me crazy. All of the doors had to be taken off and adjusted; tailgate fell off ; not once but twice. Ford dealership put 3 sets of shoes on it; finally they went to another brand. paint issues, etc. You name it ! It got to the point where I had to sit down with the dealership owner, to get things straightened out. Then this winter the snow plow from the municipality, comes down the road and plows the gravel from the shoulder of the road all over it. Paint job ! Should get it back tomorrow.

Then the wife buys a new 04 Silver Anniversary Mustang with 6 kms on it. First thing I notice before it comes off the lot, is someone took a paint stick to it in 3 places. Really! Now this car only has 6 kms on it; so who put the paint stick to it??? Dealership fixes it, no questions asked. With 1000 kms on it, it has to go in for a new electronic throttle cable, and a new sensor. We put 3000 kms on the car, and store it for the winter. Come out in the spring last year, 4 oil spots on my garage floor. Looking at the position the car is sitting, the very first thing I think of is, rear main seal. I contact the service manager, and his reply was ........I think your crazy. Can't be a rear main seal. It's a new car! My reply to him was...I might be crazy, time will tell! So they put purple dye in with the motor oil to see where it is leaking.

Guess what? Not so crazy after all. Rear main seal gone! Get it fixed. This spring, back the car out again. Guess what, 2 more oil spots as big as your fist. Call the dealership. Valve pan gasket gone this time. Have to order one in; don't stock it anymore. While the car is in to the Ford dealership getting fixed, they chip the paint on the engine bonnett. At first they deny it; then fetch up. This car now has about 6000 kms on it. O YEAH! You know that carpet thing that BC started here? I noticed last year the carpet is very short in the wife's mustang, up around the pedals. At first I thought it was just a freak thing until BC mentioned it. If anyone has a right to flame Ford; I think my wife and I would shorly qualify. Will I? Heck no! I'm waiting patiently for a S/E. Talk about being true blue ! ..................either that or I'm a sucker for punishment !
Old 5/15/06, 09:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Merlot
If anyone has a right to flame Ford; I think my wife and I would shorly qualify. Will I? Heck no! I'm waiting patiently for a S/E. Talk about being true blue ! ..................either that or I'm a sucker for punishment !
Your experience is clearly unacceptable in terms of parts reliability and assembly. You must like that punishment!

My 2000 Mustang GT required a number of warranty repairs, especially in the drivetrain area (vibrating clutch pedal). It was annoying enough that I considered a Nissan 350Z before purchasing the Mach 1.

I think the main discussion points have centered around cost vs. perceived quality. Hopefully, you will not have a repeat of what happened here. That goes way over on the bad side of the scale!
Old 5/15/06, 09:46 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
I think the main discussion points have centered around cost vs. perceived quality. Hopefully, you will not have a repeat of what happened here. That goes way over on the bad side of the scale!
Unfortunately, there are those here who will still try to convince Merlot that his experience was just "perception."

That's a truly horrible experience - not just poor quality, but poor service on top of poor quality. Sadly, I don't think Merlot's experience is untypical. This sort of thing happens far more to domestic vehicles than to Japanese imports, and it's a big part of why Ford and GM are losing customers faster than a fat peeler in a Vegas strip bar.

What part of Canada are you in, Merlot?
Old 5/15/06, 10:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Unfortunately, there are those here who will still try to convince Merlot that his experience was just "perception."

That's a truly horrible experience - not just poor quality, but poor service on top of poor quality. Sadly, I don't think Merlot's experience is untypical. This sort of thing happens far more to domestic vehicles than to Japanese imports, and it's a big part of why Ford and GM are losing customers faster than a fat peeler in a Vegas strip bar.

I take the opposing viewpoint due to a completely different personal experience. I've owned many Fords over the years they've all been extremely reliable. On the other hand, the one Acura I owned had to go back to the dealership for warranty repairs more than any other vehicle. I may be an exception to the rule, but since it's the only experience I can go by, that's the way I view it.
Old 5/16/06, 03:43 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TomServo92
I take the opposing viewpoint due to a completely different personal experience. I've owned many Fords over the years they've all been extremely reliable. On the other hand, the one Acura I owned had to go back to the dealership for warranty repairs more than any other vehicle. I may be an exception to the rule, but since it's the only experience I can go by, that's the way I view it.
You have no idea how badly I hope your positive Ford experience is relatively common, since I plan on buying a GT in Dec/Jan. It will be the first Ford in our family in many years.

Of course, one is never married to their car. If it becomes repeatedly troublesome, one can always sell it and get something else. But with Ford's resale value, it is a bit of a hit to the pocket book to have to go through that kind of an unfortunate situation.

I don't have the stamina Merlot has. After the Ranger and 04 Stang experiences, I would have walked away from Ford's (or ANY brand, including Toyota) forever.
Old 5/16/06, 05:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You have no idea how badly I hope your positive Ford experience is relatively common, since I plan on buying a GT in Dec/Jan. It will be the first Ford in our family in many years.

Of course, one is never married to their car. If it becomes repeatedly troublesome, one can always sell it and get something else. But with Ford's resale value, it is a bit of a hit to the pocket book to have to go through that kind of an unfortunate situation.

I don't have the stamina Merlot has. After the Ranger and 04 Stang experiences, I would have walked away from Ford's (or ANY brand, including Toyota) forever.
The Acura was a big disappointment to me. I was really expecting better from it. The one positive I do have from my Acura ownership was that the local dealer's service department was great to deal with. I always felt that they took my concerns seriously. That can be hard to find in a Ford dealership but it is possible (the dealer I bought my Escape from has that mentality). So while the Integra was a disappointment, the dealer experience wasn't. I would still give Acura (or Honda) another chance but they aren't as likely to be my first choice now.

I do hope things work out well for you BC. Good luck!
Old 5/16/06, 05:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Perhaps...

Your opinion is truly why GM and Ford need to collectively work so hard on not only the design and reliability but also the consumer experience. Tom's experience with Acura does show that ultimately the dealership level makes or breaks it. My wife had a Saturn SL2 sedan that had fewer issues than the Mustangs I've had over the past 5 years. The dealership where she and bought the car and had service done were very responsive. It's why I am currently considering a Saturn Sky. While the car is different than the Mustang, it is an enthusiast vehicle, greatly styled, and the dealership staff have the same attitudes about working with their customers.

I've been fortunate to find a Ford dealership that I use for my maintenance service that has been helpful, but they don't seem to have the sales volume to have a large enough allocation for the new Mustang as compared to some of the other places I've looked.

I really love the new Mustang and did not think I would be looking at other vehicles, but as you mentioned previously about the price, one's hard-earned dollar and impressions about the car will definitely influence the buying choice.
Old 5/16/06, 05:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Indeed, he does have stamina!

However, I would never say 'never again'. The car market is extremely competitive, and new vehicles appear with more frequency than they did previously.

My first GM car was horrible back in 1987 and I made the "never another GM car" vow. I had Mitsubishis, a Nissan, Dodges, and then 4 Ford Mustangs since.

However, my wife got a Saturn in 1997 and had it until 2004, when she got a MINI. She liked the reliability and customer service attitude at the dealership. The C5 and C6 Corvette, the Saturn Sky, the Pontiac Solstice, and the Cadillac CTS-V are all examples of GM enthusiast cars that have drawn my attention in the last few years.

At this point in time, the manufactures and their retail stores really have to work hard, but we have many choices.

PS - My wife's MINI dealer is great. They take excellent care of her.
Old 5/16/06, 06:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Indeed, he does have stamina!

However, I would never say 'never again'. The car market is extremely competitive, and new vehicles appear with more frequency than they did previously.

My first GM car was horrible back in 1987 and I made the "never another GM car" vow. I had Mitsubishis, a Nissan, Dodges, and then 4 Ford Mustangs since.

However, my wife got a Saturn in 1997 and had it until 2004, when she got a MINI. She liked the reliability and customer service attitude at the dealership. The C5 and C6 Corvette, the Saturn Sky, the Pontiac Solstice, and the Cadillac CTS-V are all examples of GM enthusiast cars that have drawn my attention in the last few years.

At this point in time, the manufactures and their retail stores really have to work hard, but we have many choices.

PS - My wife's MINI dealer is great. They take excellent care of her.
My '84 Buick was a POS but it was also a repo so there wasn't any dealer experience to go with it. For that reason I do give GM some "benefit of the doubt". However, when my fiancee (who I told I would buy a new car once we're married) stated that she might want a Chevy Tahoe, I initially balked much to my surprise. It seems I wasn't quite over my GM experience even though I thought that I was.

P.S. - I really like the Sky too. I saw one on the road for the first time the other day.
Old 5/16/06, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

I have to jump in on this comment. How do you know that these occurrences happen to "far more" domestic vehicles than Japanese? Are you a market analyst for JD Power and associates? Have you worked the service department at both a Japanese car dealership and a domestic dealership? No. You make these comments thinking you are right when you really have no idea what you are talking about, hoping people will take your comments as fact.

Ford and GM are losing customers becuase of beliefs like yours that hold no reference to the truth.
Old 5/16/06, 11:20 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tech
I have to jump in on this comment. How do you know that these occurrences happen to "far more" domestic vehicles than Japanese? Are you a market analyst for JD Power and associates? Have you worked the service department at both a Japanese car dealership and a domestic dealership? No. You make these comments thinking you are right when you really have no idea what you are talking about, hoping people will take your comments as fact.

Ford and GM are losing customers becuase of beliefs like yours that hold no reference to the truth.
good response tech,

Quick Reply: More Quality Lapses