2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Hydro-Powered Stang

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/04, 08:11 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a related but slightly different note, what's wrong with alcohol? Gasohol was 'popular' for a while, alcohol is still used in noticable portions in some fuels (ie open wheel racing); it's time proven (been around since the depression); etc. Other than a slightly lower yeild than pure 'gas', and it's slightly higher volatility, alcohol seems the obvious choice for 'next year's fuel.' The volatility is easily remedied by pressurized fuel systems. It doesn't freeze as easily as gas, doesn't 'clump up' with age, has a high octane rating, which would open the door for better and better compression ratios on new cars, it's far cleaner than gasoline, converting a gas engine to a gas/alcohol engine is a (relatively) simple process... the list goes on and on. Attempts have been made to implement alcohol into gasoline in very small quantities, but I think that a gradual change from gasoline to gasohols with increasing percentages of alcohol would be a reasonable and viable venture.

Then again, there's gotta be a reason why it hasn't been done.

EDIT-- Just realized that Spooty brought up hydrogen before. I think that alcohol and diesel are both viable compliments/suppliments to gasoline. Both could literally be implemented next year with little overhead or backlash to those of us who drive older vehicles. Most gas stations have at least one diesel pump already; and IIRC there's already a small percentage of alcohol in certain gasoline. Not sure on that point, though.--EDIT

Gas?
Diesel?
Alcohol?
Hydrogen? I'm not sold.
Old 6/9/04, 08:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

My sister took an environmental science class in her university and told me something similar to what you said about global warming and how it could be a natural occuring thing and we may have little effect on it.
But really the main thing is the pollution we are affecting.
Old 6/9/04, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well i think it has to do with the fact that most race cars that run on it, produce too much torque and horse power then most people can control. The worst thing in the world is someone that can't control that kinda power behind the wheel of the vehile because someone WILL die!
Old 6/9/04, 08:21 PM
GT Member

Yeah, but then again, they're racecars. They'd lay rubber if you put gas in them (actually, they'd probably break if you put in pump gas, but you get the idea). A street car could run on alcohol with little to no noticable effect, or so I've been told.
Old 6/9/04, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thats not true, you'd notice the increase in power and torque. Like I said lots of people on the road now can't drive worth poo on gas. I don't even want to see them driving a car running on that stuff. That would scare the poo out of me. Not saying that I'd be scared of driving a car running on that, but I'd be scare of some dippoo that doesn't have a clue how to drive slam on the gas and crash into me.
Old 6/9/04, 08:34 PM
GT Member

Ah, just read why gasohol never took flight: appearantly, alcohol needs to be mixed with water to get it to the proper fuel state. Alcohol and water mix, alcohol and gas mix, but gas and water don't mix well. Therefore, alcohol being put into the fuel must be 200 proof or the water will separate out of it; and getting 200 proof alcohol is cost prohibitive. If the alcohol is too watery, it doesn't burn well and will separate, if it's too 'dry' it costs a lot. Therefore to be truly cost efficient, alcohol would have to be run in the pure.

Not sure if that's true, just what I read.
Old 6/9/04, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

It might be true hard to say.
Old 6/9/04, 08:55 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Wow, this thread got long fast.
Old 6/9/04, 10:12 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i still don't see why you're not sold on hydrogen dude. name one downside aside from the fact that it may cost a bit more to develop right now.

keep in mind that just about everything you use in your life had trouble starting off, but once it got going, it only made life easier. everyone/thing has to start somewhere
Old 6/9/04, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

True dat man
Old 6/9/04, 10:18 PM
GT Member

The people against hydro, seem to all say the same thing. It's not viable right now, it wont be cost effective, too costly at the moment, etc... We have determined at the beginning of this thread, that it is safer than gas, which is proven and makes sense. It burns alot cleaner, it will make good usable power, it is a renewable resource.

Now let me ask you this.
If it were available at any gas station, at a very reasonable price (like 1/2 the price of gas) and there was an offer to convert your car for free, with a warantee, and no power loss,

Would you do it?
Old 6/9/04, 10:19 PM
GT Member

I feel like I am selling green eggs and ham LOL.
Old 6/9/04, 10:21 PM
Post *****

btw hydro-haters, consider this. if ford doesnt make a hydro alternative, it might go back to 1974 with four bangers...:shudders in the corner: we cant let them make a ricermobile out of our favorite ponycar can we?
Old 6/9/04, 10:22 PM
V6 Member

Can I have my eggs over easy?
Old 6/9/04, 10:38 PM
Post *****

would you like fries with that?
Old 6/9/04, 11:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by twincamfxd@June 9, 2004, 9:21 PM
The people against hydro, seem to all say the same thing. It's not viable right now, it wont be cost effective, too costly at the moment, etc... We have determined at the beginning of this thread, that it is safer than gas, which is proven and makes sense. It burns alot cleaner, it will make good usable power, it is a renewable resource.

Now let me ask you this.
If it were available at any gas station, at a very reasonable price (like 1/2 the price of gas) and there was an offer to convert your car for free, with a warantee, and no power loss,

Would you do it?
yeah, maintains sound and power as gas engine, or maybe better. Since there will be no emmisions I will have unrestricted headers, just striaght pipes maybe. Look at all the mechanical advatages if you really think about what makes our gas engines less efficient.
Old 6/9/04, 11:11 PM
Post *****

the possibilities are endless. hey, when/if the oil reserves die out, what about all our buddies with classic stangs*? they wouldnt be able to drive 'em amore unless they modified them. i know some people would be ok with this, but i can bet most trailer queen owners wouldnt

*or any classic car for that matter
Old 6/9/04, 11:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd like my eggs sunny side up and served with a slive of ham ans some bacon and 2 lil sausages and 3 slices of toast. Please.

As for ford with their hydro ICE they already have the ability to make a hydro ICE 2.3L Inline 4. They got the technology already in their Model U concept car. The 2.3L is also the baby brother if you will to the 4.6 L v8 from the mustang. So they already know that it will work. All it means is doing some converting of parts from only being able to burn gas to being able to burn gas and mostly hydrogen. I also gotta say this; their 2.3L Inline 4 Hydro ICE looks freaking hot for a lil 4-banger :drive:
Old 6/9/04, 11:16 PM
Post *****

hmmm..yeah so does the model U. i like how the whole friggin thing is modular
Old 6/9/04, 11:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Maybe when hydrogen becomes the primary fuel source they will still have some petroleum for sell. Maybe 10 X's as expensive, but i'm sure it won't become 100% gone.
I WILL do everything in my power to someday own a 1969-1970 Boss Mustang. And it will need the precious gasoline.

Quick Reply: Hydro-Powered Stang