2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Hydro-Powered Stang

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/04, 09:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing how Mazda developed a Hydrogen powered Renesis engine that can easily go between gas and H, would anyone be interested in having a Mustang outfitted with such an engine?

I'd get one as a second car...

I'm not sure on the horsepower for an H-powered car, but I'm sure its comprable to petrol. And what better way to get back at those Honda freaks who tsk-tsk the 'gas guzzling' V8.
Old 6/7/04, 09:25 PM
Cobra Member

no
Old 6/7/04, 09:28 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe, it all depends on the Hp and performance of the car. if it was just a little lower than the norm, than possibly, but if it has like, no power, no way. does anyone know how much power hydrogen engines make compared to gas?
Old 6/7/04, 09:28 PM
V6 Member

Sure if they can get 400hp out of it.
Old 6/7/04, 09:31 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sure I would if it was straight hydrogen and not the fuel cell crap. I know hydro engines make some sick HP
Old 6/7/04, 09:38 PM
Cobra Member

For the 2004 RX-8

Gas- 210HP
Hydro-120HP
Old 6/7/04, 09:45 PM
Cobra Member

If hydrogen were as readily available as gas is today, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, and I'd smile as I thought about the OPEC members pouring oil on their cornflakes in the morning.
Old 6/7/04, 09:46 PM
Post *****

Originally posted by FrankBullitt05@June 7, 2004, 9:41 PM
For the 2004 RX-8

Gas- 210HP
Hydro-120HP
not sure if it makes much of a difference, but the RX8 has a rotary
Old 6/7/04, 10:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Look at my avatar and you'll know my answer. Performance can be directly comparable to gasoline. It would take a little bit of tuning, maybe a turbo or super charger, but 400hp is not an unreasonable goal for a Hydrogen ICE (Internal Combustion Engine).

Another good thing about them, as I've said before, is that the there is no carbon incolved in the combustion, so no Ozone harming gases are produced excpet Nitrogen compounds. Using Catalytic converters they're developing, those compounds would be transformed mostly into a harmless gas.

All of this means that in a Hydrogen ICE car, the exhaust is actually cleaner than the air in 99% of the cities out there. So yes, you if you need fresher air than the city has, you can suck on the tailpipe of a Hydrogen ICE car if you feel so inclined - stupid as it may look. Whoa. I just came up with an idea that needs patenting. I'd say it here, but any of you could steal it. BACK OFF THIEFS!!
Old 6/7/04, 10:16 PM
Post *****

beats the heck out of the $400 sharper image ionic breeze or whatever.
Old 6/7/04, 10:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'd get one. In the future i'm sure they'll learn how to make it powerful. Just look at how the gas engine evolved. Back in the 30's average cars had like 40 hp. Besides when they figure out how to get huge amounts of the stuff i'm sure it would be no prob having a 2050 stang with a 400+ ci V8 hydro powered.
Old 6/7/04, 10:52 PM
Post *****

yeah, we really should invest in this kinda tech, b4 gas runs out. that way, we can always have our fast musclecars
it proabably wouldn't take that long to get a highpower hydrogen engine.
Old 6/7/04, 11:52 PM
GT Member

Look at my avatar and you'll know my answer. Performance can be directly comparable to gasoline. It would take a little bit of tuning, maybe a turbo or super charger, but 400hp is not an unreasonable goal for a Hydrogen ICE (Internal Combustion Engine).

Another good thing about them, as I've said before, is that the there is no carbon incolved in the combustion, so no Ozone harming gases are produced excpet Nitrogen compounds. Using Catalytic converters they're developing, those compounds would be transformed mostly into a harmless gas.

All of this means that in a Hydrogen ICE car, the exhaust is actually cleaner than the air in 99% of the cities out there. So yes, you if you need fresher air than the city has, you can suck on the tailpipe of a Hydrogen ICE car if you feel so inclined - stupid as it may look. Whoa. I just came up with an idea that needs patenting. I'd say it here, but any of you could steal it. BACK OFF THIEFS!!
Man, you really did your homework on this, or you are in the business? I think it would be quite interesting to see the power of a hydro-pony car. Although huffing the tailpipe doesent sound like something I would do.
Old 6/8/04, 01:50 AM
V6 Member

I'd get one.
Old 6/8/04, 01:59 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All assuming they make it completely safe.......................
Old 6/8/04, 02:44 AM
GT Member

It was brought up in a previous thread about hydro cars, and it may have been decipher who noted that it would be safer than gas due to the fact it would burn in a gaseous state rather quickly rather than spread out around the car and burn.

Decipher:
Please correct me if I got that wrong.
Old 6/8/04, 02:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

You're close. The dispersal rate is extremely fast, and being that it's lighter than air, any flame would just shoot straight up into the air, leaving the car practically untouched. Gasoline, on the other hand, is slow moving, only ignites in a gaseous state, so while it's still liquid it has time to spill and go everywhere, giving off burning fumes as it evaporates, making the flames spread everywhere, the flame would work it's way into the tank and explode, and the car would be a burning inferno.

This is an example of what I mean. Note the pictures on the side of the page.
A pic from it:

Hydrogen on the left, Gasoline on the right.

With the Hindenburg, it was actually the outer shell that was burning like that. Sure, it was a spark or friction or something that ignited the hydrogen, but that burned up really fast, igniting the shell, which was what kept burning and killed all the passengers. If they had made the shell totally fireproof, it would have just burned off all the helium, and plummet to it's death, no huge fires involved.

Twincamfxd, no, I'm not in the business. I'm just a 19 year old slacker high-school grad trying to figure out what to do with myself. It is a definite possibility though.
Old 6/8/04, 03:02 AM
GT Member

Great read, really changing my thinking on alternate fuels. hydro really seems like a win-win. I wonder what kind of power it will make in a mustang, or other performance car.

It is a definite possibility though.
You should really look into it. You really seem to have an interest in the field. Definately money in that as well.

If they sell them, and there are places to fill up, I will certainly buy one.
Old 6/8/04, 03:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

My city, Vancouver, has committed to having Hydrogen fuel stations and Hydrogen powered cars and buses (both fuel cell and ICE) in time for the 2010 Olympics, which will be held here. So yes, there will be places to fill up in most major cities at the very least in the not so distant future.

As with everything, there are drawbacks. This thread seems like it will have some staying power, so I'll go into those tomorrow or the next day (when it's not 3am )
Old 6/8/04, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Before hydrogen will become available for the mass market, I guess we will see natural gas powered cars. Engines need only very few modifications (natural gas' octane number is about 130!!!)

Quick Reply: Hydro-Powered Stang