1974-1978 Mustang II Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

*Updated* Arin's Uber "76" Mustang II Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/07, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet meats! also I have an experienced friend who put forward facing exhaust manifolds on a 302 in a ford courier. And its working well for him.
goodluck
Old 1/9/07, 08:59 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
pics of car with said tires?
Old 1/9/07, 03:56 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't picked em up yet. This weekend has been ever so busy *sigh* I'll call the shop again after I get back from the eye doctor's (appt at 3:15, its 2:55 now...)

In other news, today was the first day of real sunshiny driving for fiona. I went over to a friends to play Battlefront 2 and Halo 2, and on the way home, the drive was mostly trafficless and sunny. Heck, I even accidentally chirped the tires. I love my V8
Old 1/9/07, 06:25 PM
Post *****

What I dont love is parts that disconnect lol. Makin a U turn today, I heard a POP and then all of a sudden its hard to finish the u turn. Yup, powersteering hose popped right off of the metal tube thing. Easy fix, by far, just need to cut down the hose (it was too long to begin with) and tighten the metal thingy and then reattact hose, tighten clamps, fill with fluid yadda yadda yadda

But it was pretty cool to see what M/S was like, if only for a few minutes. Quite humbling. Even though my car is "light" at 2900lbish, it reminds you that you are careening around in a heavy *** thing of metal.

Overall? fun **** I suppose I could always just not fix my P/S and stop lifting weights. Same effect lol. It seriously feels like a gocarts steering right now, except stiffer.
Old 1/10/07, 05:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
What I dont love is parts that disconnect lol. Makin a U turn today, I heard a POP and then all of a sudden its hard to finish the u turn. Yup, powersteering hose popped right off of the metal tube thing. Easy fix, by far, just need to cut down the hose (it was too long to begin with) and tighten the metal thingy and then reattact hose, tighten clamps, fill with fluid yadda yadda yadda

But it was pretty cool to see what M/S was like, if only for a few minutes. Quite humbling. Even though my car is "light" at 2900lbish, it reminds you that you are careening around in a heavy *** thing of metal.

Overall? fun **** I suppose I could always just not fix my P/S and stop lifting weights. Same effect lol. It seriously feels like a gocarts steering right now, except stiffer.

lol sounds like fun!
but remember its not true manuel steering the gear box is geared diffrent for power or manuel steering so power not working is harder to steer than manuel!
Old 1/10/07, 05:32 PM
Post *****

Awesome! lol. My friends and I used to always joke that PS was for wimps, especially since mine whined so loud. In their faces

I'm getting used to it, its really not that big of a deal. Who knows? might just leave it.
Old 1/10/07, 05:35 PM
V6 Member

Awesome! lol. My friends and I used to always joke that PS was for wimps, especially since mine whined so loud. In their faces

I'm getting used to it, its really not that big of a deal. Who knows? might just leave it.

dont do that the power steering gear box is designed for lubrication from the power steering fluid and will grenade without it!
Old 1/10/07, 05:41 PM
Post *****

****. Alright, guess this means I'll have to fix it soon.
Old 1/10/07, 06:46 PM
Number Cruncher

****. Alright, guess this means I'll have to fix it soon.
Or pop it out and put a rack and pinion from a Pinto in there.
Old 1/10/07, 08:03 PM
Post *****

Thats way to much work

On another note, I have developed an immense hatred of both 3rd gear and the tendency of my AOD to shift into it

I can gas it, but because of the 1.5ish:1 ratio of third gear, I go pretty much nowhere. Its not a REAL problem by any stretch, its just annoying for around town driving
Old 1/13/07, 06:36 PM
Post *****

Alright, update on fixing PS

So... Arin goes down to Kragen, gets a jug of fluid, moseys on home. He re-attaches the hoses to the powersteerin pump and all. Fills it up with fluid. All is well. Turns car on, so far so good. Turns the wheel a bit, looks over to watch power steering. The hose is moving from the pressure. Taps the wheel again

KABOOM!!!!!!!

powersteering shoots everywhere

Arin not happy. I tighted the ****ed clamps pretty ****ed tight! But the hose just goes WOOSH!!! and all hell breaks loose.

There are two causes here that i can think of:
1- not tight enough
2- too much fluid

I know the solution to number one, but i dont think thats it, or if it is, its not JUST that

How much of this stuff should be going in? I know the cap says "do not overfill", so i put what i thought was a decent amount in. Anyone know how much I should be using??

Sigh
Old 1/13/07, 07:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Arin, This might be a silly question, but are you sure that the hoses are good and on right? Is the pump from the 'stang or the donor car? Really, putting a manual rack in it is not that hard!!
Old 1/13/07, 07:16 PM
Post *****

I'm sure the hoses are on and in the right position, because they worked for a long while. are they on good and tight? clearly not.

The pump is from the donor lincoln LSC.

About the manual rack.. what all would I need to do it? If I did that I could but a whole new accessory system on the front, with new belts and all, and maybe even bolt up that huffer I have sitting in my room.
Old 1/13/07, 09:13 PM
Post *****

also, read every thread i could find on steering racks for the MII on stangnet... found some guy who ran the P/S rack, without actually powering, and it never blew up in the 4 years he had it.

But most of my research there has pointed me towards just swapping it out to a flaming river manual rack, or scouring the 'yards for a pinto rack. Theres a few connections that are manual rack specific, but hey, no biggie.

Also found some cool ideas for my suspension as well
Old 1/15/07, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

aside from my transmission nightmare, power steering was definately the biggest pain in the but. mine never leaked or what not, but I bought new lines from NAPA and the steel part was bent completely wrong. and the rubber part was about 2 feet to long.

what clamps do you have on the ends of your hose? are they just regular hose clamps? Once I shortened the hose I went back to napa to see if they could re-crimp it, but they wouldn't so I went to a local propane company and they put some super heavy duty clamps on that they used a press.
P/S is a hight pressure system, whatever you put on it make sure it holds.
Old 1/15/07, 11:03 AM
Post *****

they're just plan clamps that wrap around and you tighten the screw on the side and it closes them. The more you tighten the screw the smaller the diameter becomes and it clamps down on things.

I think im just gonna make it manual steering. The cars light, and I could do with a good upper body workout. Besides I'm sick of that horrid whine that confounded pump makes, not to mention the leaks.

I may have a few surprises for this build though, after that power steering pump gets yanked
Old 1/15/07, 11:17 AM
Bullitt Member

if your sure that you want to yank it, but those heavy duty clamps only costed 6 dollars. I am suprised that your worm drive clamps lasted as long as they did!
Old 1/15/07, 11:27 AM
Post *****

I think I may get those clamps anyway though Kyle. Instead of dishing out for a new manual rack, I'm going to do what a few other II guys who got sick of manual steering but didn't have any cash did. They yanked the pump, filled the unit itself with fluid, routed the two hoses together, and bled out the air. There are guys out there with this system intact for over 4 years, so I am inclined to beleiveit will hold.

It will still be harder to turn the wheel than normal manual steering, as the P/S rack is 3 turns to a lock, whereas the real manual is 4 turns to a lock. But I don't have to parallel park ever, nor do I plan to, so its really no big deal.

though, using the clamps you mentioned to hold the two tubes together seems like a good idea thanks!
Old 1/17/07, 01:04 AM
Post *****

Well, time for some updates. I did a mock up of the blower, like where I want to put it and all. Turns out its got the same width (not diameter) pulley aas the PS pump. This will be ineteresting

Blower, standing alone

Mocked up

theres more
Old 1/17/07, 01:05 AM
Post *****

ARIN'S GOT TEN HOLES AND TIRES!!! WOOOO!!!!!

Quick Reply: *Updated* Arin's Uber "76" Mustang II Buildup