1974-1978 Mustang II Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

*Updated* Arin's Uber "76" Mustang II Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/06, 05:59 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Maybe you can contact this guy. He has hedman headers on his II.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216577

You might also want to contact Paul's Automotive Engineering in Cincinnati. They have a 347 in a II. http://www.paulsautomotiveengineering.com/

I also found this . .

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...hlight=headers
Old 10/23/06, 06:32 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by future9er24
i cant get to illinois without my exhaust
wanna bet?
Old 10/23/06, 07:02 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the thing is, i know exactly how to get the headmans to fit, they'd just rather go searching for the holy grail and come back with a part that isnt right and hope it works and repeat, rather than doing it my way. *sigh*

i was supposed to go down to the shop and talk them through how to do it today, but my dad came home late and now the shops closed. ugh. they better have it done by tomorow, and they better not be the **** shorties. i paid for those longtubes, and i waited near a month for them to arrive. im not letting all that time and money go down the drain. ESPECIALLY since it would cost me around $60 to send them back to indianafor a net savings of 120, which is less than what the shorties will run me.

how come nothing ever goes right this is the absolute final stage, with one teeency detail that they havent worked out, and its keeping ym car from me.
Old 10/23/06, 07:33 PM
Needs to be more Astony

these big projects always have snags..keep your head up it'll be done and you'll be cruising in that sweet II in no time!
Old 10/24/06, 12:15 AM
Post *****

thanks..

after this swap its no more shops. im doing it all on my own or with buddies. no more overpriced labor.the only thing i will go to shops on ever again are tires, gears, and paint/body

my motor and susepension will be done by me, as will the blower. thanks for all your support anyone. sometimes i just get so frustrated with all this. i owe you all beers
Old 10/24/06, 07:44 AM
Needs to be more Astony

so in about 4 1/2 years we could get a beer from you...
Old 10/24/06, 10:06 AM
Post *****

lol pretty much
Old 10/24/06, 02:29 PM
Needs to be more Astony

arin you probably mentioned this before but how much weight is a v8 equiped Mustang II?
Old 10/24/06, 02:55 PM
Post *****

i know that my V6 was supposedly 2800lbs so with the V8 and AOD i should be a good (well... weight is never good lol) 300-350 lbs more than that. and maybe an extra 160 with the driver

also, another update. the mechanics STILL cant put the driver side in. the're talking to a local header shop that says no headers were ever made for a mustang II. WTF!!! headman, hooker and blackjack ALL made headers for the MII. now i have to wait to monday, since they're going to that header shop to get a custom header made. i told the to disconect all the steering and such, but they still say it wont work. maybe it has to do with my AOD? but... what would that do to my steering....

sigh, its been almost three months. my friends with mustangs are all asking how i fall asleep everynight. i think im going insane.
Old 10/24/06, 06:30 PM
ARF
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arin... told you... there where no headers made for the 74-78... anyway... thats why I custom made them for my mach1... about the weight... in my MEXICAN MUSTANG II MACH1 1974 V8 OWNER MANUAL says... 1,373 kilograms... thats about 3026.946860006 US pounds...
Old 10/24/06, 06:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
just use a big beer can stick a line out each end and whalla you have an intoxed car. Kidding How is it all coming together Buddy ?
Old 10/24/06, 07:02 PM
Post *****

Well ed, things arent going as smoothly as planned lol.

and ARF, i find this very strange because there are alot of members both at StangNet and at MustangII.net that have these very headers installed on their IIs, along with mustang II headers from Hooker and Blackjack.

maybe paddock shipped the wrong part >_<
Old 10/24/06, 09:31 PM
Post *****

well since i cant play with my car, i might as well play with the toys for my car :P

Heres the blower, top view again. you can see the TB at the top of the image, and see the ducting go around the supercharger as well as into it:

here is a curious little peice. its kindof like a TB, but its what you see to the right of the pic, where the two metal pipes meet. what is it??? theres levers springs and the whole flapper door of a TB init, and its NOT the MAF bec thats right by the airbox:

airbox... in abox! lol:

heres the ducting again, after being disconnected from the blower unit itself:

heres the intake side of the blower (where the air goes in, not where it connects to the intake):

and the "air extrusion port" for lack of a better name:

my less than ideal workstation:

one more closeup:

yeah so.. thats pretty much been all the fun i've had all day. ic ant wait to eventually put this onto my II of course thats all a bit of a ways away.... in case you hadnt noticed lol
Old 10/24/06, 10:35 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to clean that blower housing and ducting! As for that mysterious part? My guess would be it is some kind of boost bypass or air recirculating valve? In regards to your less than ideal workstation - at least you actually have a place where you can work on those parts. Hope you can remember where all the nuts and washers are supposed to go during reassembly.
Old 10/24/06, 10:48 PM
Post *****

nah, none of that ducting is gonna be reused. its all for EFI stuff with TBs and all. my motor is carbed, hence the adaptor plates i mentioned. either way, its not hard to rebuild it all.

so only the blower is gettin cleaned

im probably going to save all the parts though, in case i ever need them or biuld something custom.
Old 10/25/06, 05:20 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Catch me up a bit . . .

Has that blower/carb combo been used before, or are you fabricating the adaptor plates that you mentioned.

(If you have already explained this direct me to the page and I shall 'read on'.)
Old 10/25/06, 06:39 PM
Post *****

well i have no idea if i explained this all, so here i go:

-the blower itself was used in EFI form on the 2.9L V6 in a bronco II.
-no carb plates ever made
-i have to fabricate the plates myself
-which means i also have to learn to weld from my friends

im still trying to design the plates. a "one on top of another" plate system might be simple, but i want something that works well. plus i have no idea what to do for the pulleys. if i put it right on top, it is so short that it will have to be pushed very far forward. the blasted thing is heavy and i dont know what if the tiny little bolts in there will take the abuse. but there are those loops also that you can see at the corners of the unit. maybe i can make some sort of set of rods that thread through those and hold it in place.

thats all assuming i put it on top. if it goes on the side or something, like i've seen on some other cars, or also, like a centrifugal blower. im sure i could whip up a bracket. i havent exactly seen the motor in the car yet, and im sure the lincoln had an AC compressor... so maybe my blower could go there?

so im not sure exactly where the blower is even sitting. it might be on top, or it might be on the side or something, with piping like on the EFI V6 leading into a carb hat or somesuch... that might be interesting clearance wise, because i know if i bold this on top, i will be cutting up the hood or making a cowl.

i basically have to wait til the car is here for me to do mockups and stuff. until then i guess i have to do my homework (in more than one way lol *sigh*) and maybe fit in some time to polish up that blower
Old 10/25/06, 08:10 PM
Needs to be more Astony

even without the blower the car should have great power to weight ratio.

about 3000lbs and 250hp is great. 12lbs per hp.

better then my 1999 GT that is 3237lbs and 260hp is 12.45lbs per hp.
Old 10/25/06, 09:35 PM
Post *****

i guarantee your car is far more efficent though and that there are more parts for it... and that said parts are easier to install

have you planned/done any mods to that GT yet?

oh and im still not near my buddie's dart yet he's at about 3200lbs with closer to 400hp!!! i cant let a mopar be the fastest car in the school!!!
Old 10/26/06, 08:23 AM
Needs to be more Astony

once i get some money for mods i will start my own thread of my car progress.

but my plans.

short term.
-few cosmetic mods, headlights, grill, rims.
-cat back exhaust.
-drop in K&N filter (not going CAI, refer to long term)
-upper intake and possibly lower but that is kinda costly.

long term.
-turbo kit.
-built short block using teksid aluminum block and forged internals.

Quick Reply: *Updated* Arin's Uber "76" Mustang II Buildup