1974-1978 Mustang II Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

*Updated* Arin's Uber "76" Mustang II Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/06, 11:11 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes those are the ones. I asked around and found out they come like that. go figure lol.

Theres a guy on StangNet offering to sell his stock manifolds to me for not much. Might go that route. Part of me wants to test fit these things tho...

i'll take a look at the distributor tomorow too.
Old 12/11/06, 01:50 AM
Post *****

heres a video my friend took, but the sound qualitu aint that great. Its WAAAAUYYYY lkouder lol

and some pics with my two buds. They're truckies

Old 12/11/06, 10:29 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by future9er24
I've thought about that. I think i'm going to start reading up on how to tune carbs...
There should be a screw on the side of the carb... you turn the screw to adjust the air/fuel and you just listen to the way the engine sounds if you go either lean or rich the engine wil start to run rough. Just turn it inbetween those times til the engine is running smooth and you should be good.

I think its usually clockwise is more fuel counter is more air... but i could be wrong on that.
Old 12/11/06, 04:47 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
There should be a screw on the side of the carb... you turn the screw to adjust the air/fuel and you just listen to the way the engine sounds if you go either lean or rich the engine wil start to run rough. Just turn it inbetween those times til the engine is running smooth and you should be good.

I think its usually clockwise is more fuel counter is more air... but i could be wrong on that.
there is a WHOLE lot more to tuning a carb than what you are telling him!

try here!

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/1999/12/holley/
Old 12/11/06, 05:15 PM
Post *****

regardless i wont be driving fiona for a bit. took off the lincoln manifolds (jesus teh MII comparment is cramped) and discovred one was cracked, so much so that a part just fell off

check out the pictures

The last few show the flanges of the manifolds. i was playing with them, trying to mount them in the conventional manner, but i realized those ****ed flanges keep hittting ****. i figured if i cut off the flanges, or grinded them down, and fabricated a custom extension to snake through the gaps i could hook it up to cats and mufflers. too bad the #$%^ers broke.

I found a guy on stangnet selling his stock II manifolds. If i cant shoehorn the hedmans in, i'll go that route.
Old 12/11/06, 05:35 PM
V6 Member

i see you have a oil pan dipstick tube and not the one that comes out the timming cover are you running a late model 5.0 motor?
Old 12/11/06, 05:38 PM
V6 Member

regardless i wont be driving fiona for a bit. took off the lincoln manifolds (jesus teh MII comparment is cramped) and discovred one was cracked, so much so that a part just fell off

check out the pictures

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...4/IMG_0821.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...4/IMG_0820.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...4/IMG_0819.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...4/IMG_0818.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...4/IMG_0817.jpg

The last few show the flanges of the manifolds. i was playing with them, trying to mount them in the conventional manner, but i realized those ****ed flanges keep hittting ****. i figured if i cut off the flanges, or grinded them down, and fabricated a custom extension to snake through the gaps i could hook it up to cats and mufflers. too bad the #$%^ers broke.

I found a guy on stangnet selling his stock II manifolds. If i cant shoehorn the hedmans in, i'll go that route.
why dont you try these headers?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/bi...1976+1977+1978
Old 12/11/06, 05:52 PM
Post *****

Yeah it's a latemodel. '92 out of a lincoln Mark VIII LSC or somesuch.

and i have those. the shop just never got em to fit :-\

i'll have to figure this out on my own
Old 12/11/06, 10:35 PM
FR500 Member

What about the parts you were planning to grab from the salvage yard? No stock manifolds there? Hang in there.
Old 12/11/06, 11:55 PM
Post *****

Didnt have time to go this weekend. did an interview for a project, plus it was pouring rain

although... sicne my project was about mustangs, i took the interviewee for a ride. fishtailed and powerslid for the first time with the V8. he loved it
Old 12/12/06, 04:07 PM
Post *****

well, test fit the long tubes

On the driver's side, they slit in easily enough, until the bolt flange hit the steering shafta and and the rest of that area. its really hard to weave the big fat mondo collector pipe thing down there, especially with the flangethat sticks out in certain places.

passenger side was a bit different, i had trouble sliding it in at all. the space between the motor and frame is quite compact. also ( i didnt get that far but...) it looks like its gonna be even ahrder for the collector pipe to squirm and squeeze around that monstrous starter. if the ground wasnt wet, and if i had more clearance, i'd go under and try and slide it up, but it is and there isnt, so i didnt.

sigh lol.but looking at the spacial issues, i feel very competent that i can take another set of stockers and whip up some shorties and custom midpipes for em.

if i could get my hands on some fox or MII or even 1st gen 302/289 manifolds im sure i could figure it out. MII or newer would be preferable i suppose. MII bec it should fit, and fox bec they're tubular, and this, easily cutable and weldable

we'll see how it goes
Old 12/12/06, 04:24 PM
V6 Member

well, test fit the long tubes

On the driver's side, they slit in easily enough, until the bolt flange hit the steering shafta and and the rest of that area. its really hard to weave the big fat mondo collector pipe thing down there, especially with the flangethat sticks out in certain places.

passenger side was a bit different, i had trouble sliding it in at all. the space between the motor and frame is quite compact. also ( i didnt get that far but...) it looks like its gonna be even ahrder for the collector pipe to squirm and squeeze around that monstrous starter. if the ground wasnt wet, and if i had more clearance, i'd go under and try and slide it up, but it is and there isnt, so i didnt.

sigh lol.but looking at the spacial issues, i feel very competent that i can take another set of stockers and whip up some shorties and custom midpipes for em.

if i could get my hands on some fox or MII or even 1st gen 302/289 manifolds im sure i could figure it out. MII or newer would be preferable i suppose. MII bec it should fit, and fox bec they're tubular, and this, easily cutable and weldable

we'll see how it goes
arin you can make those fit, do you have a torch to heat and bend where needed? and the passanger side goes in easier if the motor mounts are off aand you can change the starter to the mini high torque and you should be good!
Old 12/12/06, 04:51 PM
Post *****

I dont have a torch, nor do i really have cash for a mini starter. Plus, i still dont know if it'll fit around the belhousing of the AOD.

I've looked down there and i know that a compact 4into1 stockish setup and one pipe snaking through the obstacles will work out fine, and be alloooottt more economical for me at the moment. i can stull use one of the lincoln manifolds, sicne i looked at IT for cracks, and there were none. one more manifold and im set, that'll run me what, $20?

Maybe down the road when i have more time/money/tools...
Old 12/12/06, 05:34 PM
V6 Member

I dont have a torch, nor do i really have cash for a mini starter. Plus, i still dont know if it'll fit around the belhousing of the AOD.

I've looked down there and i know that a compact 4into1 stockish setup and one pipe snaking through the obstacles will work out fine, and be alloooottt more economical for me at the moment. i can stull use one of the lincoln manifolds, sicne i looked at IT for cracks, and there were none. one more manifold and im set, that'll run me what, $20?

Maybe down the road when i have more time/money/tools...

heres another option!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12/12/06, 05:36 PM
Post *****

WTH!!! lol!!!!

ironically enough, those look like they'd be perfect for the old "forward facing" exhaust i wanted to do lol. too bad i found out forward exhaust is illegal

still.. pretty awesome.
Old 12/12/06, 06:45 PM
V6 Member

WTH!!! lol!!!!

ironically enough, those look like they'd be perfect for the old "forward facing" exhaust i wanted to do lol. too bad i found out forward exhaust is illegal

still.. pretty awesome.
actually there not forward facing the driverside faces the rear and the passanger side goes almost strait down, i used a set of these on my 1972 pinto wagon with a 302!
Old 12/12/06, 07:17 PM
Post *****

but... they would be great for a forward system...

tale the one on the left and put it on the passenger side, the flange will be in the front, going stright down into the emty zone of my engine compartment. use the one on the right on the otherside and its facing forward with a slightly downward angle. that could be routed sideways across the car (drivers side to passenger) into a two-into-one muffler

curious.. verryyy curious...
Old 12/12/06, 09:50 PM
FR500 Member

Time to put the welding skills to the test! Or maybe you can just take the flanges and weld up eight individual pipes sticking up through the hood flanking a shaker intake... (good way to show off the flames!) LOL!
Old 12/12/06, 10:24 PM
Post *****

you know, if my car was smog exempt... i would lol
Old 12/13/06, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Do they actually check you car for emissions in California? here in Montana I don't even think they know what an emissions test is.

Quick Reply: *Updated* Arin's Uber "76" Mustang II Buildup