1974-1978 Mustang II Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

*Updated* Arin's Uber "76" Mustang II Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/07, 01:41 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I am very sorry to hear that Arin. It looks like a really beautiful car! I hope everything works out for you and that you find your stang the perfect home. I'm sure you'll find another II in the future with which you can have fun with all over again! Good luck to you and your stang!
Old 2/18/07, 04:52 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
You've got a darn good head (and hair ) on your shoulders. As much getting rid of the II sucks the end result is far, far more valuable. Besides once you finish school you can always purchase another II. Maybe even keep tabs on your II once she's sold. If I run across looking for a nice II on the left coast I'll be sure to throw them your link.

Oh . . . and since you mentioned the possibility of getting a CV PI, I can't help but keep singing 'Sabotage' by the Beastie's and thinking about their video!!

Below see future cruising photo of Arin and his friend?
Attached Images  
Old 2/18/07, 08:21 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is uncanny!
Old 2/18/07, 09:57 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
dang too bad... but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 2/18/07, 11:05 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
You've got a darn good head (and hair ) on your shoulders. As much getting rid of the II sucks the end result is far, far more valuable. Besides once you finish school you can always purchase another II. Maybe even keep tabs on your II once she's sold. If I run across looking for a nice II on the left coast I'll be sure to throw them your link.

Oh . . . and since you mentioned the possibility of getting a CV PI, I can't help but keep singing 'Sabotage' by the Beastie's and thinking about their video!!

Below see future cruising photo of Arin and his friend?
I only wish I could grow a moustache like that...

I've already been researching any and everything about CV PIs and it looks like I want one from 1999 or newer. Those run anywhere from $4-6K for nice examples. I definately want all the cop equiptemnt that I can legally use: pushbar, spotlights, etc. I'll get my own CB radio, maybe even a Nav system. After that I'll find some cheap 15" wheels so I can mount my $600 white letter tires on them. Maybe do my first port job on the throttlebody. I'll treat it like I treated the Cobra II and keep ALL my tools in the car. There have been plenty of times where a friend at school has a car that wont start up and I generally like to tinker, so it works out. Little by little I will make this car into what the Millenium Falcon was for spaceships :an unassuming vehicle, with law enforcement equiptment, plenty of space and some go fast goodies. Did I mention a dry 150shot of Nitrous?

You guys are definately right in that selling my car sucks, but theres gotta be something good to focus on right? Might as well be a plan for my CV PI
Old 2/18/07, 11:12 AM
FR500 Member

So your parents are cool with a CV PI? Just don't tell them what you're going to do to it, LOL. If the II was the Millenium Falcon, a CV PI could be the Imperial Star Destroyer (Import Car Destroyer) or the rebellion's equivalent, if they had one.
Old 2/18/07, 11:22 AM
Post *****

My II was never the Falcon, simply because it wasn't big enough, and because it actually looked like a fast car. She was probably more of an X-wing lol.

My parents are "kinda" cool with the CV PI. We need to find one in good condition and it has to satisfy all of us. That probably means it will have to be very clean, have good paint, and run well, none of which i can complain about. They might want "low miles" and most PIs have around 100K on them I'm in the process of teaching them that these cars run to about 300,000 miles on them. Heck I showed them an ad for a Lincoln Town Car with 398K!!! I think chances are pretty high I'll get one of these. I've also pointed out that they are speed goverend (not for long hehe) and not as fast as my mustang, plus there are airbags aplenty.

We'll see how it goes.
Old 2/18/07, 11:58 AM
Needs to be more Astony

you mentioned porting the TB...but on the 4.6 2v you want to port the intake plenum, that is where the restriction is.
Old 2/18/07, 04:53 PM
Post *****

Thanks for the heads up. I don't think it would hurt if I did both though, some of the other CV PI guys have done it.
Old 2/18/07, 06:10 PM
Needs to be more Astony

oh yeah no harm in doing both but just make sure to do the plenum.
Old 2/23/07, 11:58 AM
ARF
Bullitt Member

Keep Up The Good Work!!!
Old 2/25/07, 03:44 PM
Post *****

Well, there have been no serious offers yet so...

heres my current plan:

Fix the steering. I tried to take the ****ed thing off myself, i just dont have the strentgh or leverage to do that undercar work at my house.

Install supercharger. yeah, you all thought i gave on that didntcha? i was sorting through old parts in the garage, to sell for some spare $$$, and i found the bracket that mounts the blower to the orignal 2.8L. I whipped out my hacksaw, and whil.e im not quite done, it should be abl;e to fit the 302 soonish. it will be situated roughly where the power steering pump was. Yeah thats also right, manual steering for me. Lucky for me the blower and pump have the same type of pulley (though different diameters). I may need a belt tensioner of some sort, but hey, it can work.

I also think im going to do a paint job on it. I remeber reading on another car forum once about a guy who used laquer and painted his car with a roller. He had about 8 coats, but no clear (didnt need it) and he didnt waste a ton of paint in spray. The car looked pretty cherry after. my friend and i did this on his horse trailer when we were restoring it, and shoot, it looks darned good. I think I may just do gloss red or gloss white for simplicity's sake. I'll probably put on the cobra II side stripes, because those are decals too

I figure all this work will add a few thousand to the perceived value of the car.
Old 2/25/07, 10:02 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dang Arin, I hate to hear about you selling the 'stang...

best of luck with selling it though.
Old 2/25/07, 10:27 PM
Post *****

Thanks man
Old 2/26/07, 06:23 PM
Post *****

Talking

**** photobucket
Old 2/26/07, 06:33 PM
Post *****

This little bastard has been giving me trouble since day one No longer an issue I'd say

need to make a new bracket so the good ole alternator can go back on, but he decided he wants a new location, somewhere out of view

The real reason Mr. Alternator moved and Mr. Power Steering got banished???????

MAKE ROOM FOR NEW NEIGHBORS!!!

I decided to take the old supercharger to V6 bracket and hack it up a bit (yes, 1/4 steel cut by a hacksaw lol) and bolted them together again

still need to drill some new holes for the bracket and all, but it'll be good
Old 2/26/07, 07:11 PM
Needs to be more Astony

awesome. tahts going to take some work to do up that SC but i hope you can do it. how much did you get that SC for again? I think my 99 needs a ghetto rigged SC too.
Old 2/26/07, 07:20 PM
Post *****

well the blower, along with rbacktes the top end of a V6 motor, headers and countless other parts came to me 600 shipped

I think im going to refer to my II as ghettorcharged once its on
Old 2/26/07, 07:28 PM
Needs to be more Astony

not bad at all.

I hear you can weld...wanna make me some turbo headers?
Old 2/26/07, 07:35 PM
Post *****

ehhhh if you saw my last attempt at making some sort of exhaust manifold... you'd reconsider that request lol...

Looked like a chunk of sliver broccoli was growing out from the inside of the thing in some places lol

Quick Reply: *Updated* Arin's Uber "76" Mustang II Buildup