Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/10, 06:35 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Well folks by all the evidence I've gathered, except a compression test, the Bronco motor is just fine. The oil was beautiful. The coolant is completely clear of oil and the oil is completely clear of coolant. I haven't seen the white smoke since Friday night. I think it was just because it sat and the temperature outside was down a little bit.

I finally started looking at the oil pan and there was one bolt missing, which I knew, but almost all of them were not even finger tight. The bolts appear to have like two washers on them for the most part, but one had like 4 on it. I could tighten them all down without them being stripped or anything, but it really puzzles me why someone did such a half *** job putting them in. The drain bolt had a washer on it and that had a piece of shredded up black plastic behind it. I took those off and the bolt seals just fine. Not sure what that was about. It was leaking around the pan the way they had it.

Anyway. All is good. I found out I have a Dana 44 front differential with 3.54 gears. As long as no one has ever changed them out.

Oh. One more thing. I was driving the vert on the freeway yesterday and I opened her up a little but I got up to about 85 or 86 mph and the needle just fell all the way to 140. After I slowed down a bit it came back to normal. I did it again and it fell over again. Of course it also bounces at about 5-15 when going slow, but its always been accurate otherwise. Ideas?
Good to hear the Bronco is up to snuff. Weird about the washers though. Did you pull the bolts out and remove the washers? Were all the bolts the same length? It sounds like the pan was off and they used washers to space down bolts that were too long. With that many washers they will surely loosen again and the leak will be back.

Sounds like two issues with the speedo, a jumping needle usually means a kinked cable causing an uneven cable speed. The the dropped needle is odd usually that is a broken speedo, but it is really odd that when you slow down the needle comes back and works correctly again.

Unless of course the Fox has an electronic cluster...if it does I have no idea whats up with it.
Old 3/29/10, 06:43 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the speedometer reminds me of the II.. the speedo on that shakes all the time, and hell even the tach. once the tach starter working backwards... my idle was at 6K+ and i was revving "up" to 1K lol
Old 3/29/10, 06:46 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Well folks by all the evidence I've gathered, except a compression test, the Bronco motor is just fine. The oil was beautiful. The coolant is completely clear of oil and the oil is completely clear of coolant. I haven't seen the white smoke since Friday night. I think it was just because it sat and the temperature outside was down a little bit.

I finally started looking at the oil pan and there was one bolt missing, which I knew, but almost all of them were not even finger tight. The bolts appear to have like two washers on them for the most part, but one had like 4 on it. I could tighten them all down without them being stripped or anything, but it really puzzles me why someone did such a half *** job putting them in. The drain bolt had a washer on it and that had a piece of shredded up black plastic behind it. I took those off and the bolt seals just fine. Not sure what that was about. It was leaking around the pan the way they had it.
I wonder if they let some jackleg put an oil pump in it at some point?

Oh. One more thing. I was driving the vert on the freeway yesterday and I opened her up a little but I got up to about 85 or 86 mph and the needle just fell all the way to 140. After I slowed down a bit it came back to normal. I did it again and it fell over again. Of course it also bounces at about 5-15 when going slow, but its always been accurate otherwise. Ideas?
I wonder if the trans slipping has anything to do with it? It has a traditional cable for the speedo and a plastic gear in the tailshaft of the tranny that goes on the VSS. Could be corrosion or wear in some of those parts causing it to act up, the cable might need to be lubed, or a bad VSS sensor.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 3/29/10 at 06:47 PM.
Old 3/29/10, 07:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like Ford has seriously underrated the power of the new 5.0 435 at the wheels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyki...=youtube_gdata
Old 3/29/10, 07:41 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bluethunderhorse
Looks like Ford has seriously underrated the power of the new 5.0 435 at the wheels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydyki...=youtube_gdata
Old 3/29/10, 07:57 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My ol' F150's oil pan bolts had loosened up over time. Seems like after the first 100k. And the gasket seemed like rubber. Just tightened em up with a ratchet by hand (no tq wrench) and it's worked fine.

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/29/10 at 08:48 PM.
Old 3/29/10, 08:24 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
my oil pan is all good... Gary, does your bronco have the E4OD trans? If itdoes, have you noticed whether or by the bolts holding the pan thing on the bottom to loosen up kind of often? I've had to retighten mine twice in 6months
Old 3/29/10, 08:28 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
check the speedo cable gary

I'm glad to see they underrated it, actually...reminds me of the 60's when the did that, as well as avoiding overstating, like they did a few years ago with the cobra?, and get hell for it

in other news, on my way home, me and my friend with the V6 Stang were messing around, I couldnt leave him, but he said he was having to kick it pretty good to keep up with me, in my heavy *** SUV, haha
Old 3/29/10, 10:23 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
in other news, on my way home, me and my friend with the V6 Stang were messing around, I couldnt leave him...in my heavy ***, haha

:gay:

I only used your words.
Old 3/29/10, 10:25 PM
Post *****

:gay:

I only used your words.

If I could reverse a past infraction for you i would. that was ****ing awesome
Old 3/29/10, 10:27 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
my oil pan is all good... Gary, does your bronco have the E4OD trans? If itdoes, have you noticed whether or by the bolts holding the pan thing on the bottom to loosen up kind of often? I've had to retighten mine twice in 6months
It does have the E4OD. Those bolts are fine.

Like Lee suggested, I'm pretty sure someone paid a shade tree mechanic to change the oil pump at one point and he half-assed it. Which makes me worry about the oil pump and also if they knocked any gunk or gasket crap into the pan. Or whatever else they might have done.

Because I don't know the entire history of the Bronco, and since Ford only ever uses dummy gauges, I've decided that I'd like to get a few actual gauges for the truck. Not sure where I'm gonna put them. But I'd like to actually be able to monitor the coolant temp, oil pressure, and oil temp before something goes wrong.
Old 3/29/10, 10:28 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by future9er24
If I could reverse a past infraction for you i would. that was ****ing awesome

The son has become the teacher.
Old 3/29/10, 10:34 PM
Post *****

The son has become the teacher.
Old 3/29/10, 10:36 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
The thunderstorms that move in Friday afternoon could even become severe in a few cases, so please check back as we get closer to the end of the week. Right now it looks as though highs will still be around 70 on Friday, but then due to a cold front moving through on Saturday, we'll probably be cooler with highs in the 60's through the weekend. Next week we should warm right back into the 70's again with more showers and thunderstorms coming in late in week.

Gonna be 77 on wednesday.
Old 3/29/10, 10:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 3/29/10, 10:50 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
son of a b****
Old 3/29/10, 10:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well guys I catch up with yall tomorrow
Old 3/29/10, 11:04 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
It does have the E4OD. Those bolts are fine.

Like Lee suggested, I'm pretty sure someone paid a shade tree mechanic to change the oil pump at one point and he half-assed it. Which makes me worry about the oil pump and also if they knocked any gunk or gasket crap into the pan. Or whatever else they might have done.

Because I don't know the entire history of the Bronco, and since Ford only ever uses dummy gauges, I've decided that I'd like to get a few actual gauges for the truck. Not sure where I'm gonna put them. But I'd like to actually be able to monitor the coolant temp, oil pressure, and oil temp before something goes wrong.
I saw a Bronco at the store the other night that had an A pillar gauge pod in it. I was backing out when he fired it up and noticed them lit up, so I have no idea if they were designed for it, or if he made it himself. Or you could just go old school and mount them under the dash like we did it back in the day.

Edit:

The ones in the Bronco I saw may have been like this....

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...+install+tommy

http://www.dfuser.com/mfg/other/pods/ford.php

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 3/29/10 at 11:07 PM.
Old 3/29/10, 11:17 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I saw a Bronco at the store the other night that had an A pillar gauge pod in it. I was backing out when he fired it up and noticed them lit up, so I have no idea if they were designed for it, or if he made it himself. Or you could just go old school and mount them under the dash like we did it back in the day.

Edit:

The ones in the Bronco I saw may have been like this....

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...+install+tommy

http://www.dfuser.com/mfg/other/pods/ford.php
Thanks Lee. That'll work perfectly. Unlike the Mustang visibility in the Bronco is not a problem. I feel like I'm perched on a tree looking down on everything. Except I can't see the ground 10' in front of the hood.
Old 3/30/10, 11:44 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Look what the wifey found.....

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast