Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
16.67%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/10, 01:11 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Well i just checked the dipstick on teh Bronco and the oil looks fine to me. It doesn't look like chocolate milk or coffee as I've read on the net. And the Bronco does not suffer from any loss of power that I can tell, nor does it ever have any kind of ticking noises. She runs just fine. Idles fine. Accelerates strong. So maybe I'm just being paranoid. But I will do the compression test so I can rest easy. I hate the way the plugs are positioned. Very much a PITA. They kind of go in sideways and at odd angles. Much different than the 4.6 3v in then Mustang.

Coolant looks good to. Both in the radiator and in the expansion tank.

Now I did find something weird. There is a hose that runs from the lower radiator hose over the oil filter and back again. It appears as though the oil filter mounts on to some sort of spacer that acts like a cooler or something. I've never seen this before. Is this stock or did someone add this. The lower hose has an adapter spliced in with these 1" hoses running over to the block where the oil filter mounts. But its not part of the block. It looks like it screws on and then the oil filter screws on to it.
Old 3/29/10, 01:28 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Well i just checked the dipstick on teh Bronco and the oil looks fine to me. It doesn't look like chocolate milk or coffee as I've read on the net. And the Bronco does not suffer from any loss of power that I can tell, nor does it ever have any kind of ticking noises. She runs just fine. Idles fine. Accelerates strong. So maybe I'm just being paranoid. But I will do the compression test so I can rest easy. I hate the way the plugs are positioned. Very much a PITA. They kind of go in sideways and at odd angles. Much different than the 4.6 3v in then Mustang.

Coolant looks good to. Both in the radiator and in the expansion tank.

Now I did find something weird. There is a hose that runs from the lower radiator hose over the oil filter and back again. It appears as though the oil filter mounts on to some sort of spacer that acts like a cooler or something. I've never seen this before. Is this stock or did someone add this. The lower hose has an adapter spliced in with these 1" hoses running over to the block where the oil filter mounts. But its not part of the block. It looks like it screws on and then the oil filter screws on to it.
Yeah, its an oil cooler. I've seen them on various cars and trucks in the past. IIRC the SSP Fox body Mustangs had one like that on them. The one on the Bronco may have been part of a towing package.

Dose it look something like this?

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 3/29/10 at 01:37 AM.
Old 3/29/10, 01:41 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Yeah, its an oil cooler. I've seen them on various cars and trucks in the past. IIRC the SSP Fox body Mustangs had one like that on them. The one on the Bronco may have been part of a towing package.

Dose it look something like this?

Exactly like that.
Old 3/29/10, 03:46 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could I also be looking at a cracked head, or God forbid a cracked block?

When I go the vehicle I found receipts for alot of work that was done in the months before I got it. Like new radiator hoses, new heater core, and new radiator. I wonder if someone was trying to cure a problem they hadn't completely figured out, and then when they finally found out what it was they traded it in. Just a theory.
fwiw I was told by my former fleet mgr that the reason Ford cancelled the 460 was because over time the heat would cause the head to warp. Whether that's the same with the iron block 351 I don't know. But if some idiot let if overheat, that could cause a warped head or a slight leak in the head gasket. But if that's the case, usually you'd see a bit of white on the dipstick from water getting in the oil. And water usage from the radiator.
Old 3/29/10, 09:08 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
all the signs of a cracked headgasket that I know of you've checked, when I wore a hole through the block (which would do the same thing), I had chocolate milk all over, hell it even worked it's way back into the air intake, and the timing chains and everywhere! ugh, the smell

I'd do the compression check and go from that.
Old 3/29/10, 09:10 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it was a *****.
Well ok then, we can let it slide.
Old 3/29/10, 09:50 AM
Post *****

I'm gonna do the compression test. I think I'm fine. But the test should also let me know how worn out cylinders/rings are. Whether its 100, 125, 140, 150 or so throughout. I'd like to know how strong the motor is.

I can't imagine anything being wrong though. She idles and runs better than the vert. The only problem is the squeaky belt.
Old 3/29/10, 11:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
Edson, nah my headlights aren't yellowing. I think they're plastic lenses, they feel that way, but no yellow at all. It's possible they are glass butbi don't think so. I've got a tiny little bit of condensation inside one, but their still nice and bright
Im having problems with my lights tht they dont light up the road a lot. Did a haze cleaning that only helped a little. Let me put it this way, the high beams light up the road as much as other cars regular lights
Old 3/29/10, 11:35 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry double post. It was a repeat from the one below this one.

Last edited by BoogieNights; 3/29/10 at 11:42 AM.
Old 3/29/10, 11:38 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Originally Posted by Knight Rider
Hey Sean fellow F150 owner. Do you have a problem with yellowing headlights?
What I do for my headlights on my Celica is hit them with Mcguires cleaner wax. If they are really bad I use a fine wet/dry sandpaper first then polish them with the cleaner wax. everytime they come out looking like new.

I'm gonna do the compression test. I think I'm fine. But the test should also let me know how worn out cylinders/rings are. Whether its 100, 125, 140, 150 or so throughout. I'd like to know how strong the motor is.

I can't imagine anything being wrong though. She idles and runs better than the vert. The only problem is the squeaky belt.
When you do the compression test look at the plugs. They will tell you if there is water leakage in the cylinder or not.

Also I have seen headgaskets blow and not show any signs of them blowing. The 96 Stang that I picked up actually had a blown head gasket and the last owner never even knew.

Im having problems with my lights tht they dont light up the road a lot. Did a haze cleaning that only helped a little. Let me put it this way, the high beams light up the road as much as other cars regular lights
Do we all see a mod in the future??
Old 3/29/10, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yellow head light I just shoot the ones that pee on them. !
How's about that MOTM currently a three way tie at 29 each wow
Old 3/29/10, 11:39 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Maybe it's time for some replacement lights or brighter bulbs. I'd recommend the sylvania silverstars, but one of my highbeams is already burnt out after a couple months of barely using them and it's $35 for replacements.
Old 3/29/10, 11:59 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I've used Silverstars in past vehicles and were dissapointed with them. The light may be whiter, but definately were not brighter.
Old 3/29/10, 12:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Maybe it's time for some replacement lights or brighter bulbs. I'd recommend the sylvania silverstars, but one of my highbeams is already burnt out after a couple months of barely using them and it's $35 for replacements.
The truck uses Sylvania lights but not silverstars
Old 3/29/10, 01:53 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
fwiw I was told by my former fleet mgr that the reason Ford cancelled the 460 was because over time the heat would cause the head to warp. Whether that's the same with the iron block 351 I don't know. But if some idiot let if overheat, that could cause a warped head or a slight leak in the head gasket. But if that's the case, usually you'd see a bit of white on the dipstick from water getting in the oil. And water usage from the radiator.
Mine uses a little bit of coolant... But the oil is nice and dark, keeps a good steady temp, and it only ever has white stuff coming out the pipes when it's cold. And I've smelled/seen a car go by with a blown headgasket, and mines not like that... Ya'll make me paranoid!
They probably need to be re-aimed. The lights on the Mustang are that way, ever since the accident they haven't been re-aimed and they are horrible, I outrun the low beams at 30mph, and the high beams I can leave on all the time and nobody ever flashes me for them ().
Old 3/29/10, 02:33 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts
http://wjz.com/local/Burglary.suspec...2.1597592.html
This one belongs on the Smoking Gun World's Dumbest Criminals....how dumb can you be?
Old 3/29/10, 03:47 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Criminals are lazy.
Old 3/29/10, 04:58 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by denlem
I've used Silverstars in past vehicles and were dissapointed with them. The light may be whiter, but definately were not brighter.
Mine are definitely brighter, and that's with the smoked lights. Don't think I can afford $40 every few months though.

Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple
http://wjz.com/local/Burglary.suspec...2.1597592.html
This one belongs on the Smoking Gun World's Dumbest Criminals....how dumb can you be?
Old 3/29/10, 06:17 PM
Post *****

Well folks by all the evidence I've gathered, except a compression test, the Bronco motor is just fine. The oil was beautiful. The coolant is completely clear of oil and the oil is completely clear of coolant. I haven't seen the white smoke since Friday night. I think it was just because it sat and the temperature outside was down a little bit.

I finally started looking at the oil pan and there was one bolt missing, which I knew, but almost all of them were not even finger tight. The bolts appear to have like two washers on them for the most part, but one had like 4 on it. I could tighten them all down without them being stripped or anything, but it really puzzles me why someone did such a half *** job putting them in. The drain bolt had a washer on it and that had a piece of shredded up black plastic behind it. I took those off and the bolt seals just fine. Not sure what that was about. It was leaking around the pan the way they had it.

Anyway. All is good. I found out I have a Dana 44 front differential with 3.54 gears. As long as no one has ever changed them out.

Oh. One more thing. I was driving the vert on the freeway yesterday and I opened her up a little but I got up to about 85 or 86 mph and the needle just fell all the way to 140. After I slowed down a bit it came back to normal. I did it again and it fell over again. Of course it also bounces at about 5-15 when going slow, but its always been accurate otherwise. Ideas?
Old 3/29/10, 06:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Mine are definitely brighter, and that's with the smoked lights. Don't think I can afford $40 every few months though.

I've been running the same set silverstar's in my s10 for 5 years with no problems. People flash their lights at me all the time when I have them on low, some people just keep their high beams on until I turn mine on

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast