Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Watts to think?

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/12, 05:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete07GT
Thanks for giving me the heads-up. I've read other peoples' interactions with Sam Strano countless times on the web. Out of all of his reviews I've never once heard anyone complain or have something bad to say about the guy. He literally sounds like a guy who believes in putting the customer first and making his own suggestions after careful consideration and input from his consumer. I think that's more than admirable and I will surely begin talking to him about suspension before I start dropping in power adders. It frustrates me to no end reading on here that people want to go straight to 400 or 500rwhp without taking into consideration HOW it will affect the factory suspension setup and the inability to hold all of that power under control. I have goals and a long term plan. It I had the disposable income I would sure drop $15k and go with a GRIGGS setup but I have no track time (coming up in a month or so that will change) nor the excess cash to support a hobby of that magnitude.

Do you recall any of the questions he asked you that blew you out of the water?
What has blown me out of the water is that you have never tracked your car yet you're talking about buying $15k suspension setup if you had the money. The fact that you have already done things to the car is a mystery??? I hope you don't plan on running those 20's on the track....

What frustrates me is you talk about throwing power adders, suspension mods, all sorts of crap at a car to make it the best possible when right now you have no idea how to drive....???

Here's all I got for you: Get some track brake pads, and race brake fluid. Go to the track and forget everything that you think you know because you can break the back end loose making a turn in town. Get a good intructor and just listen and learn. When you have pushed the car as it is to it's limits safely and in control and you actually have a clue what you are doing out there, then start modding the car if you want to go faster.

I'm not trying to be a d**k but you should really re-evaluate your "goals and long term plan".....
Old 1/17/12, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Adam 81

Perhaps you can share some of the information/packages that Sam recommended. Might save him from answering the question multiple of times
Old 1/17/12, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

The stuff he came up with isn't anything crazy or some special combo of different parts. It was basic specific parts that fit my use of the car, what I wanted from a suspension, at a certain price range. It will not match his needs. Therefor it doesn't matter. And I guarantee you if you call Sam and tell him you want to order this this and this he will ask you why and then what is the car doing and then what do you want it to do and on and on (this is a good thing).... I am not saving him or you or anyone any time.
Old 1/17/12, 01:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by adam81
What has blown me out of the water is that you have never tracked your car yet you're talking about buying $15k suspension setup if you had the money. The fact that you have already done things to the car is a mystery??? I hope you don't plan on running those 20's on the track....

What frustrates me is you talk about throwing power adders, suspension mods, all sorts of crap at a car to make it the best possible when right now you have no idea how to drive....???

Here's all I got for you: Get some track brake pads, and race brake fluid. Go to the track and forget everything that you think you know because you can break the back end loose making a turn in town. Get a good intructor and just listen and learn. When you have pushed the car as it is to it's limits safely and in control and you actually have a clue what you are doing out there, then start modding the car if you want to go faster.

I'm not trying to be a d**k but you should really re-evaluate your "goals and long term plan".....
I agree with this post, although it comes off as fairly "abrasive".
Old 1/17/12, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

The stuff he came up with isn't anything crazy or some special combo of different parts. It was basic specific parts that fit my use of the car, what I wanted from a suspension, at a certain price range. It will not match his needs. Therefor it doesn't matter. And I guarantee you if you call Sam and tell him you want to order this this and this he will ask you why and then what is the car doing and then what do you want it to do and on and on (this is a good thing).... I am not saving him or you or anyone any time.
Unfortunately idid email and call him, but he didn't pickup and his email told me to call him. I'll try again later
Old 1/30/12, 06:39 AM
GT Member

Two of my track only cars have used the Watts link and I have been very happy with the set up. I have only had 4 track days with my LS and purchased the system. The Cortex system was delivered on Friday. The quality looks and feels outstanding. The diff. cover is a work of art. The instructions are excellent. Now lets see how the install goes in the next couple of weeks.
Old 1/30/12, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jim woodruff
Two of my track only cars have used the Watts link and I have been very happy with the set up. I have only had 4 track days with my LS and purchased the system. The Cortex system was delivered on Friday. The quality looks and feels outstanding. The diff. cover is a work of art. The instructions are excellent. Now lets see how the install goes in the next couple of weeks.
Awesome Jim!!!! This is the exact system I was thinking about.... Keep us updated. Are you doing anything else to the suspension?
Old 1/30/12, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you're literally wringing every last available fraction of a second out of your Boss, I don't really see the point of modifying the suspension, especially if you aren't doing it with corresponding data logging and skidpad time. Save your money and use it towards brake pads, fluid, and tires. You'll see a far better return on your lap times than with various suspension components.
Old 1/30/12, 02:56 PM
GT Member

I could not agree with you more but with my style of driving I wanted it. Remember we all do not drive the same or have the same level of skills and style
Old 1/30/12, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jim woodruff
I could not agree with you more but with my style of driving I wanted it. Remember we all do not drive the same or have the same level of skills and style
I'm with you on that! but many will say that you can't compensate poor driving with mods...

Let us know how it goes! I know my h&r rss suspension has taken away the buyers remorse for this car completely...I just feel more at home with my setup and to me, that's priceless. While everyone's mileage may differ, I'm more able to put the car where it needs to be and the chassis feels more m3 to me now.(meaning more tossable and stable) And now that the spring rates are stiffer there's also the side effect of less movement or squat, which minimizes the movement of the panhard bar.
Old 2/4/12, 07:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Get some knowledge and experience before spending money.
Old 2/4/12, 08:13 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jza1736
Is it a good place to start to settle down the live rear axle? Is it needed?
Probably the most noticable effect will be when your cornering hard, a panhard rod swings through an arc as the axle rotates unlike a watts link which keeps the axle centered. Under hard cornering you will feel the axle swing through its arc with the factory setup and and it can be a bit disconcerting.

For $650 why doesn't Ford just do it from the factory? I'm sure it would be cheaper for them to do it in bulk
I've wondered that myself? The panther cars (crown vic, town car, et al) in thier final iteration were equipped with a watts link.

I'm sure cost is a factor as the watts link under the panther cars looked rather flimsy to me.

Frankly I'm perplexed why a Boss guy would install a power adder on a Boss? Your adding weight in all the wrong places and even worse you adding a gaggle of power and destroying part of the balance that makes the Boss such a competent car, and thats not even getting into a power adders well discussed heat management problems. More power is always welcome, however I would think in a Boss, improving its naturally aspirated qualities would be a better way of achieving added power?

Last edited by bob; 2/4/12 at 08:20 AM.
Old 2/4/12, 11:11 AM
GT Member

I am with you on that , there is no better mod. than seat time and starts. The Watts link is installed and minor testing done. Way to early to really tell for sure.I was hoping to go to Roebling Road in two weeks but can't.