Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Watts to think?

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/12, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete07GT
What's the weight of the Fays2 Watts Link? With my car weighing in at 3430lbs+ already, maneuvering may be increased with having the watts link installed but powering my land boat with even more extra weight is still going to be slowing me down more on straight aways..?
I think it is like 30lbs. I don't think 30lbs will affect your speed....
Old 1/15/12, 07:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adam81

I think it is like 30lbs. I don't think 30lbs will affect your speed....
Now that you mention it, that added weight on the rear axel will probably be beneficial. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 1/15/12, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that you mention it, that added weight on the rear axel will probably be beneficial. Thanks for chiming in.

No it won't. That Fay's and Steeda set up is just stupid. Clamping those arms to the axle tubes, putting the center bolt in a slot, it's wonder that works at all. Watts linked should be designed like the Griggs, Cortex and Techco setups. Minimal added weight. Uses the differential housing to tie in the center pivot bolt, and minimal added framing for attaching the arms to the frame.
Old 1/15/12, 05:13 PM
GT Member

The Fays2 Watts link weighs 27lbs with all the hardware (12 unsprung, 15 sprung). Subtract the 11lb factory Panhard bar and you have a net gain of 16lbs. Changing out the factory rear swaybar for an adjustable Strano bar takes an additional 5lbs off (20-15).

11 lb. addition.

My car, 3/4 tank of fuel, scaled at 3604 with a cross weight of 49.8.

Dave
Old 1/15/12, 05:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy
Rofl! That's pretty Comical.

Well for me, I found that its a bit loose for the tighter tracks and autox. The looseness wasn't as noticeable on the faster track at wsir. I just ordered some h&r rss. I hope to compare the time differences at the streets of willow this month, which I have a good set of times to compare. If they don't go down at all I'm pulling it off....
If this is truly the case, you need to learn how to adjust the link to suit your set-up (springs, swaybars, etc.). You can easily take the looseness out of your corner exit.

Dave
Old 1/15/12, 05:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
No it won't. That Fay's and Steeda set up is just stupid. Clamping those arms to the axle tubes, putting the center bolt in a slot, it's wonder that works at all. Watts linked should be designed like the Griggs, Cortex and Techco setups. Minimal added weight. Uses the differential housing to tie in the center pivot bolt, and minimal added framing for attaching the arms to the frame.
You do realize that the "Griggs" is called the Griggs Watts Link, don't you? Same basic concept except the Fays2 attaches to the axle tubes and the Greggs attaches to an aftermarket diff cover. The adjustment of the roll center is the same with the same results. Price difference is approx. $400 more for the Griggs Watts Link/ TA Cover.

The whole purpose of the Watts link is to add adjust ability for specific tracks/courses/grip and keep the axle centered. My car is capable of accelerating out of tight corners, full throttle, with zero wheel spin on 315 A Hoosiers. A good portion of this capability is credited to the Fays2 Watts Link. I also helped wrench on a Fays2 Watts Link equipped F-Body for the past 3 years with measurable success. Both Sam Strano (ex-2011 Mustang GT) and Mark Madarash (Pontiac Trans-am) use a Fays2 Watts Link. I'm not sure we can debate the results of these two?

Dave

Last edited by iDrive; 1/15/12 at 06:50 PM.
Old 1/16/12, 07:05 AM
GT Member

Would you please post the link to techco. I can not find it.Thanks.
Old 1/16/12, 07:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by iDrive
The Fays2 Watts link weighs 27lbs with all the hardware (12 unsprung, 15 sprung). Subtract the 11lb factory Panhard bar and you have a net gain of 16lbs. Changing out the factory rear swaybar for an adjustable Strano bar takes an additional 5lbs off (20-15).

11 lb. addition.

My car, 3/4 tank of fuel, scaled at 3604 with a cross weight of 49.8.

Dave
Any idea why I'm scaling at 3450 (rounded up to nearest 50lb) with LCA's, UCA, panhard, C&C plates replaced, flowmaster 40 series mufflers, cats punched and I'm on 20's? Also removed spare tire and jack assembly but everything else. Are you rolling in a vert or something?

Oh and a very experienced S197 owner who frequents a track out here about every weekend during the season tells me Sam Strano took 3 championships in an S197 using a panhard bar. Though no comparison to a watts link in most people's opinions, it CAN be accomplished with the right driver mod..
Old 1/16/12, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Double posted somehow.

Last edited by Pete07GT; 1/16/12 at 08:20 AM.
Old 1/16/12, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Any idea why I'm scaling at 3450 (rounded up to nearest 50lb) with LCA's, UCA, panhard, C&C plates replaced, flowmaster 40 series mufflers, cats punched and I'm on 20's? Also removed spare tire and jack assembly but everything else. Are you rolling in a vert or something?

Oh and a very experienced S197 owner who frequents a track out here about every weekend during the season tells me Sam Strano took 3 championships in an S197 using a panhard bar. Though no comparison to a watts link in most people's opinions, it CAN be accomplished with the right driver mod..
I talked to Sam personally just a few days ago and he told me he ran the Fays2 on his S197 2011 Mustang GT....
Old 1/16/12, 08:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jim woodruff
Would you please post the link to techco. I can not find it.Thanks.
I believe they are out of business and the part is no longer available.
Old 1/16/12, 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I talked to Sam personally just a few days ago and he told me he ran the Fays2 on his S197 2011 Mustang GT....
Can you ask him about using a panhard pre-2011 model? I want to check the validity AND what brand of panhard he used if he did indeed win 3 championships using the 3-link setup.
Old 1/16/12, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Can you ask him about using a panhard pre-2011 model? I want to check the validity AND what brand of panhard he used if he did indeed win 3 championships using the 3-link setup.
It would probably behoove you to call him yourself and ask.... If you don't plan on doing any mods it isn't really a concern...

Regardless you said he won on an S197 chassis. They are basically the same through all years. Take a complete Boss suspensions and put it on say a 2006 car. I bet it would handle **** near the same.
Old 1/16/12, 09:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

It would probably behoove you to call him yourself and ask.... If you don't plan on doing any mods it isn't really a concern...

Regardless you said he won on an S197 chassis. They are basically the same through all years. Take a complete Boss suspensions and put it on say a 2006 car. I bet it would handle **** near the same.
I said he won with a panhard on an S197 chassis which I don't know if legitimate or not. I have no problem investing in a piece of suspension that will help my car grip to a track surface and help me run better lap times. But this is still my daily and I need a 10% improvement overall with handling responsiveness through proven data and input from independent and unaffiliated professional driver input before making a sound decision. It's easy for claims to be made by drivers when they are being paid by the manufacturer to do it and I mean absolutely no disrespect here!
Old 1/16/12, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

If this is truly the case, you need to learn how to adjust the link to suit your set-up (springs, swaybars, etc.). You can easily take the looseness out of your corner exit.

Dave
Im assuming you think I have a fay2 on my car? Bc I don't.
Old 1/16/12, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I said he won with a panhard on an S197 chassis which I don't know if legitimate or not. I have no problem investing in a piece of suspension that will help my car grip to a track surface and help me run better lap times. But this is still my daily and I need a 10% improvement overall with handling responsiveness through proven data and input from independent and unaffiliated professional driver input before making a sound decision. It's easy for claims to be made by drivers when they are being paid by the manufacturer to do it and I mean absolutely no disrespect here!
No disrespect taken. Again if I were you I would call Sam Strano. He is a person who sells you what you DO need not what you DON'T need. When I called he grilled me on what I was wanting to do. To be frank I wasn't really prepared to answer some of the questions as I didn't even think of them myself (not a suprise....I'm learning). I just called to talk suspensions and get edumacated as there are vendors selling stuff and advertising Boss products but I haven't seen any independent evidence or support for anything aftermarket in the Boss forum yet . I don't go to any of the other Mustang forums....

We talked for a good long while about what I wanted the car to do, what I was feeling in the car that I didn't like and wanted to change, what I did like about the car now, what my expectations were, etc, etc. We really didn't talk price. He came up with a couple different packages, highly suggested some parts, told me straight up no on other parts (that he sells....which were sometimes more expensive), etc, etc. From my little experience he is a stand up guy who knows his stuff, and isn't just looking to make a sale. He wants you to have what you need and not waste money on stuff you don't.

By the way we also talked about the support he provides post sale. I am almost more excited about that than him sellilng me what will work for me and not some random expensive stuff he needs to get off of his shelves....
Old 1/16/12, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

No disrespect taken. Again if I were you I would call Sam Strano. He is a person who sells you what you DO need not what you DON'T need. When I called he grilled me on what I was wanting to do. To be frank I wasn't really prepared to answer some of the questions as I didn't even think of them myself (not a suprise....I'm learning). I just called to talk suspensions and get edumacated as there are vendors selling stuff and advertising Boss products but I haven't seen any independent evidence or support for anything aftermarket in the Boss forum yet . I don't go to any of the other Mustang forums....

We talked for a good long while about what I wanted the car to do, what I was feeling in the car that I didn't like and wanted to change, what I did like about the car now, what my expectations were, etc, etc. We really didn't talk price. He came up with a couple different packages, highly suggested some parts, told me straight up no on other parts (that he sells....which were sometimes more expensive), etc, etc. From my little experience he is a stand up guy who knows his stuff, and isn't just looking to make a sale. He wants you to have what you need and not waste money on stuff you don't.

By the way we also talked about the support he provides post sale. I am almost more excited about that than him sellilng me what will work for me and not some random expensive stuff he needs to get off of his shelves....
Thanks for giving me the heads-up. I've read other peoples' interactions with Sam Strano countless times on the web. Out of all of his reviews I've never once heard anyone complain or have something bad to say about the guy. He literally sounds like a guy who believes in putting the customer first and making his own suggestions after careful consideration and input from his consumer. I think that's more than admirable and I will surely begin talking to him about suspension before I start dropping in power adders. It frustrates me to no end reading on here that people want to go straight to 400 or 500rwhp without taking into consideration HOW it will affect the factory suspension setup and the inability to hold all of that power under control. I have goals and a long term plan. It I had the disposable income I would sure drop $15k and go with a GRIGGS setup but I have no track time (coming up in a month or so that will change) nor the excess cash to support a hobby of that magnitude.

Do you recall any of the questions he asked you that blew you out of the water?
Old 1/16/12, 07:15 PM
GT Member

If you look up Sam's Championships (Pro and Solo), it lists Sam winning in the following years.

Pro:
2002 in FS, Chevy Camaro
2006 in ESP, Chevy Camaro (I believe it was a 2000-2001)
2007, 2008, 2009 in FS, Shelby Mustang
2010 in FS, 2011 Mustang GT

Solo:
2002, 2004, 2006 in ESP, Chevy Camaro
2010 in FS, 2011 Mustang GT

The rules in FS do not allow changing out the Panhard bar. You must run the factory equipment. ESP allows it. I don't recall if he used a Fays2 Watts Link in 2006, but I do know that he ran one last year with several event wins. He only ran the Pro Finale with the 2011 GT. A new GS Corvette in Solo.

btw, I bought my Fays2 Watts Link, f/r sway bars, springs, MM camber plates, and a set of AST shocks from Sam. Although I set up my car differently, Sam provides a solid base to start from.

Dave

Last edited by iDrive; 1/16/12 at 07:41 PM.
Old 1/16/12, 07:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy
Im assuming you think I have a fay2 on my car? Bc I don't.
Ahh, you are correct. I assumed you where talking about the Thread topic. I quickly read over the springs that you were referencing. My bad.

Dave
Old 1/16/12, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you look up Sam's Championships (Pro and Solo), it lists Sam winning in the following years.

Pro:
Solo:
I will bet if any of the info my buddy was telling me coincides with Sam's win history on a panhard, it will be one of these. But then again I can be completely wrong.

Quick Reply: Watts to think?