Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Watts to think?

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/11, 03:14 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, we offer it as well as being able to get most of the "good" suspension products out there. Cost is 695.00 to your door anywhere in the U.S.

Here's a link:

http://www.silverhorseracing.com/car...ategory_id=256
Old 3/7/11, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cloud9, any reason you decided not to go with the Griggs Watt's link again and switch to the Fays2 instead?
Old 3/7/11, 03:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smbstyle
cloud9, any reason you decided not to go with the Griggs Watt's link again and switch to the Fays2 instead?
To be honest I was hoping not to mod the Boss nearly as much as my GT500. Based on the Motor Trend review, I think there's at least some hope The Griggs suspension performs well, but it's a big investment and a fairly intensive installation. Since the Fays2 just bolts on, I figured it was a better route, particularly if I don't end up needing to completely overhaul the suspension like the GT500 required.
Old 3/7/11, 03:55 PM
Legacy Tms Member

There's also the added problem that Griggs is currently not in business. They made a wonderful product, but what is left is being bought up by Chris Alston's Chassis Works. So when production will be rolling again and on what pieces remains to be seen. There's a thread on it over at corner-carvers covering more of the details. Unfortunately, just another victim of this economy, along with Midwest Auto Gear, Barry Grant Fuel Systems, etc...

If they were not in the position they are in, they would be an excellent option, but as stated, quite an investment in time and installation. If you found a dealer with some NOS parts, it might be a path to consider, but support is going to be hard to come by.
Old 3/7/11, 04:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
To be honest I was hoping not to mod the Boss nearly as much as my GT500. Based on the Motor Trend review, I think there's at least some hope The Griggs suspension performs well, but it's a big investment and a fairly intensive installation. Since the Fays2 just bolts on, I figured it was a better route, particularly if I don't end up needing to completely overhaul the suspension like the GT500 required.
yeah good luck with that, i think you have the same disease I have... after doing a ton of work to my 03 Cobra including a Kenne Bell, I sold it and told myself "never again", and now with my CTS-V racking up $5k in parts in the past 3 months, I see myself going down the same path as before, lol. I was two seconds away from dropping the car off at a fabrication shop for a full cage, and stripping it out to throw some race seats in it before I had to call them and say no thanks. Something is seriously wrong with me, but hey, it's better than doing drugs! (probably more expensive though....)
Old 3/7/11, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Interesting to note how short the lateral links on the Fays are in comparison to those used by Griggs...
Old 3/7/11, 06:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
There's also the added problem that Griggs is currently not in business. They made a wonderful product, but what is left is being bought up by Chris Alston's Chassis Works. So when production will be rolling again and on what pieces remains to be seen. There's a thread on it over at corner-carvers covering more of the details. Unfortunately, just another victim of this economy, along with Midwest Auto Gear, Barry Grant Fuel Systems, etc...

If they were not in the position they are in, they would be an excellent option, but as stated, quite an investment in time and installation. If you found a dealer with some NOS parts, it might be a path to consider, but support is going to be hard to come by.
Well that bites. Hopefully someone will still be able to get bushings, etc for wear items or things that might go :break:
Old 3/7/11, 06:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by smbstyle
Something is seriously wrong with me, but hey, it's better than doing drugs! (probably more expensive though....)
That's funny. One of my track buddy's lines is "drugs would be cheaper".
Old 3/7/11, 06:48 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Gary, I agree with your friend. Fortunately though, it's pretty rare that all your teeth fall out and you do embarrassing things for money to make it to the track

The same can't be said for meth heads and the like.
Old 3/7/11, 06:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Gary, I agree with your friend. Fortunately though, it's pretty rare that all your teeth fall out and you do embarrassing things for money to make it to the track

The same can't be said for meth heads and the like.
No doubt, hopefully you know the post is with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Drugs are a road to nowhere, heck I don't even drink. However, if my Boss doesn't show up soon I might start
Old 3/7/11, 07:06 PM
Bullitt Member

heck I don't even drink. However, if my Boss doesn't show up soon I might start
I'm right there with ya!
Old 3/7/11, 09:06 PM
Cobra Member

My high is speeeeeeeed!! And loud motors & exhaust!
Old 3/7/11, 09:59 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Oh yeah, I'm with you - all tech and no jokes makes Jack a dull boy.. unless it's Jack Bauer, in which case he'll just kill you dead like Chuck Norris
Old 3/8/11, 12:33 AM
Banned

Hope that helps. Any more technical discussion you want to know about, just ask.
What about durability/wear items? Any kind of idea as to the mileage you'd normally get before any of the moving parts wear out? Are these parts serviceable and available?
Old 3/8/11, 04:21 AM
Cobra Member

Does Ford have issues with the Fays2, warranty wise?

Will it be a simple Bolt-On with the Torsen?

Do you (SilverHorseRacing) offer group buys?

LQQK
Old 3/8/11, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am interested in purchasing one of these in 2012, depending on how the car feels. Raced & HPDE'd plenty with the PHB setup, interested to see how the Watts would feel.
Old 3/8/11, 10:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LQQK

LQQK
Good questions! & I'm definitely interested in a buy group!
Old 3/8/11, 11:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Torsen vs. Traction Lok diff won't make a difference, the size of the carrier is the same. The question is whether or not the Watts links will clear the larger finned rear cover used on the BOSS and GT500. I think Sam Strano said he's installed a few Fays links on 2010+ GT500s without issue, however--so we should be OK.

Last edited by 06GT; 3/8/11 at 11:49 AM.
Old 3/8/11, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the Fays2.
I can not believe how short those arms are. When I was looking into buying my watts link (SN95) I was assured (by Fays2 even) That arm length was crucial to healthy amounts of articulation in the rear end. I suppose if the car is lowered significantly that it may be alright since the available space for the axle to move is drastically smaller, but this just seems strange to me.
Old 3/8/11, 03:06 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
What about durability/wear items? Any kind of idea as to the mileage you'd normally get before any of the moving parts wear out? Are these parts serviceable and available?
The kit uses spherical rod ends / bearings at all moving points. Standard regular maintenance / cleaning that you would do on any custom suspension product will insure everything goes for a long time, and the moving parts are all "off the shelf" components available from race shops without issue.

Well, like anything else aftermarket, they would probably love to disallow warranty claims on the radio due to the suspension, but by law, they can only disallow a repair caused by the aftermarket product - i.e. they can disallow engine warranty if you use nitrous, but they still have to fix a broken door handle on your car. So I'd say you should be fine, but YMMV based upon your relationship with your dealer and what warranty claim you are trying to make.

The Torsen doesn't change the dimensions of the rear axle housing so you should be fine. Clearance of the diff cover *may* be an issue, but only on large aftermarket-style pieces. The Boss piece shouldn't be an issue because at the center it is not much deeper than a stock steel cover, and the watts link has close to the same clearance as the PHB assembly. That said, even if it was too close to call, it's nothing a die grinder wouldn't fix since the Boss diff cover is cast aluminum, and you'd only need to kiss the center fins to gain the clearance (if required).

Not on something like this - there just isn't the money in it for us to do so, and Fays does not have a discount program that would come into play even if we were to sell ten of them at one time. I sell these because I am a believer / user of the product, not because it is the most profitable piece for us to offer. If we sold just the most profitable items, I'd be selling another brand (or two or three) of suspension (who will remain nameless )

Originally Posted by cntchds
I can not believe how short those arms are. When I was looking into buying my watts link (SN95) I was assured (by Fays2 even) That arm length was crucial to healthy amounts of articulation in the rear end. I suppose if the car is lowered significantly that it may be alright since the available space for the axle to move is drastically smaller, but this just seems strange to me.
It's enough, and works well. The only way to lengthen the arms anyway would be to either move the mounts outboard or cantilver the center over into a "Z" layout similar to how the late model Durango is set up. The arms on our race car setup are not any longer and work well there as well. The arm length therefore is dictated by making it a bolt-in kit vs. a custom setup. And while the length is a compromise of the bolt-in design, I don't feel it hinders the product in any way. If I did, I wouldn't have it on my own cars.

Quick Reply: Watts to think?