Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

TracKey Has Arrived - Ford’s Email to All Ford and Lincoln Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/11, 02:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got a call from my dealer. They have successfully placed my order for TracKey and were told it could take "up to a week" to arive. Stopped by the dyno shop and with winter approaching, their schedule is pretty flexible. Should have comparative dyno charts and datalogs by the end of next week
Old 10/24/11, 02:10 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by MoscowBoss

Al,
Check it out and decide for yourself. Attached is the 2012 Mustang Warranty and also the Boss supplement owners manual that includes a warranty section. Pay attention to page 12 and 15 of the warranty doc and page 38 of the Boss supplement. The problem has been that Ford did advertise in a few Ford published docs, not all, that TracKey did not compromise the warranty. That is the problem I think. That statement is in conflict with what is in the warranty doc. They did always say this would be an aftermarket product and the Ford warranty policy for aftermarket and racing is nothing new. Actually compared to other FRPP warranties for their Mustang power packs and super power packs this 36/36k warranty is best in class. Go ahead, have at it.

BTW, my TracKey is ordered and installation scheduled
The installation of the program won't void your warranty but does shave 2 years off of it. But I doubt if it states that they will warranty any race related failures. I would want clarification from Ford in writing that states that the car can be raced and still be warrantied. But I doubt that will happen.
Old 10/24/11, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by cloud9
Just got a call from my dealer. They have successfully placed my order for TracKey and were told it could take "up to a week" to arive. Stopped by the dyno shop and with winter approaching, their schedule is pretty flexible. Should have comparative dyno charts and datalogs by the end of next week
Why would a program take a week to arrive? It's streamed over the interweb. Not like it's on cd.
Old 10/24/11, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received this e-mail reply from my dealer when I questioned the warranty issue. Here it is and I quote "if you opt to turn the Trac Key tune on, Ford will retain the 36/36 warranty.. but you will lose the 60/60 powertrain portion. Bear this in mind, the 60/60 is a "Limited" warranty which actually covers anything that can be deemed a defect in equipment. So you actually are not losing that much" I am not sure how he arrives at that last conclusion. As for me, my reply to him on this was, since I paid for the extended warranty I think I will pass on the Trackey.
Old 10/24/11, 02:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
The installation of the program won't void your warranty but does shave 2 years off of it. But I doubt if it states that they will warranty any race related failures. I would want clarification from Ford in writing that states that the car can be raced and still be warrantied. But I doubt that will happen.
Correct it does not void the new vehicle warranty but the 36/36k applies only if the TracKey was the cause of a powertrain item. As for racing, the Boss supplement says this in the warranty section:

"In the event the vehicle is intended for track use, and the loss of
warranty coverage is not of concern
, the following vehicle durability
modification is required:" and it goes on to say what to do to make it more reliable for racing.......

So I read it as, racing is not covered and it states that in the main warranty doc also. I expect that is fact. If you always want your warranty to apply do not modify it and do not track it or you could be taking a chance, but it is up to you as many have stated here. Seems clear to me. If some thought they were getting a race car with a warranty they assumed wrong. They got a street car, a bad *** one.
Old 10/24/11, 02:27 PM

Little bit of grey area there. Each dealership will handle something like this differently also. Good relations with your service department always helps.
Old 10/24/11, 02:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
[*]95% of you boss owners will use the trackey on the street.
Maybe a few times. But it is too abrupt and would get annoying on the street.
Old 10/24/11, 02:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cloud9... Stopped at my dealer today as well. TracKey software "kit" is going to be shipped overnight. The software itself is downloaded and the "kit" includes the a.) TracKey instructions, B.) Premium Fuel Only sticker for fuel door and C.) Voucher card to be given to customer after install of software.

Again as I stated in another thread.... TracKey is available for install on November 1st, 2011.

According to the Part manager at the dealer, who called Ford on this today, you will lose any ESP Warranty you purchased when you initiate a start with the TracKey. Mine is for 7yr / 100k miles. So it's either stay as i am or get tracker and get pro-rated for my ESP.........
Old 10/24/11, 02:34 PM
Cobra R Member

As I already have a high mileage Boss I'm OK with the additional 36,000 warranty after i activate my key. ;-)
Old 10/24/11, 02:38 PM
Cobra Member

Race car with a license plate...

I guess the sticky issue here is the Ford marketing campaign that touted the 'race car with a license plate' didn't include the addendum 'without a factory backed warranty if you race your race car'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP0CqCs77ZM

Common sense tells me if you race your Boss on a regular basis, you have already been down this slippery slope warranty issue. TracKey has just added an interesting wrinkle to the equation.

Reading all the rants and threats of class action suits tells me that there is no common sense regarding TracKey.

Old 10/24/11, 02:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Why would a program take a week to arrive? It's streamed over the interweb. Not like it's on cd.
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Cloud9... Stopped at my dealer today as well. TracKey software "kit" is going to be shipped overnight. The software itself is downloaded and the "kit" includes the a.) TracKey instructions, B.) Premium Fuel Only sticker for fuel door and C.) Voucher card to be given to customer after install of software.

Again as I stated in another thread.... TracKey is available for install on November 1st, 2011.

According to the Part manager at the dealer, who called Ford on this today, you will lose any ESP Warranty you purchased when you initiate a start with the TracKey. Mine is for 7yr / 100k miles. So it's either stay as i am or get tracker and get pro-rated for my ESP.........
Yea Al I hear ya, but figured it was something like what MyStang wrote above. The actual software will just be downloaded but figured there were some items like the C.A.R.B EO sticker etc that would have to be shipped. At least this way I'll have all that stuff by the time Nov 1 rolls around when they can actually tune it.

I also asked them to order me an additional track key and black key for spares. Not sure how all that's going to work. I can do the black key without a fob, just not sure about the red key.
Old 10/24/11, 02:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Thanks for the clarification on what is being shipped. I just wanted to get the ball rolling and get it "ordered" so they could navigate through whatever things had to happen before next Tuesday.
Old 10/24/11, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Let me just go on record and say that this is BS. Ford advertised the Boss as a race car and the trackey was/is a big part of this vehicle. For them to rape the warranty in ANY WAY after they advertised the vehicle as a race ready mustang and even more so with the trackey, is completely BS. :not cool ford:
Old 10/24/11, 03:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Let me just go on record and say that this is BS. Ford advertised the Boss as a race car and the trackey was/is a big part of this vehicle. For them to rape the warranty in ANY WAY after they advertised the vehicle as a race ready mustang and even more so with the trackey, is completely BS. :not cool ford:
Wow! Even annoyed you a little, huh? Your not even a Boss owner and you usually just try to push our keys. Oops, I meant buttons. I get confused because all my BMW friends don't get the warranty raped by pushing their M button.
Old 10/24/11, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Some of the posters here keep using the word race, there is a clear distinction between racing and tracking a car, they are not the same thing. Participating in drivers-ed at a track should not void any part of your warranty unless of course you missed a shift and over-revved the crap out of your engine. Btw, can anyone here tell me what part of the suspension is affected by using the Trackey? And why this should be part of this warranty issue.

Last edited by orng302; 10/24/11 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10/24/11, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by orng302
Some of the posters here keep using the word race, there is a clear distinction between racing and tracking a car, they are not the same thing. Participating in drivers-ed at a track should not void any part of your warranty unless of course you missed a shift and over-revved the crap out of your engine. Btw, can anyone here tell me what part of the suspension is affected by using the Trackey? And why this should be part of this warranty issue.
I like this guy. I wonder if he does it on purpose or by accident.
Old 10/24/11, 03:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by orng302
I'm not worried about Ford denying a suspension claim because of TK. More an engine and transmission issue, as they will be quite costly to repair/replace
Old 10/24/11, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

On purpose.
Old 10/24/11, 03:53 PM

Tracking is not racing huh? And drag racing should also be called 1/4 mile tracking I guess. Racing a clock or someone else. Doesn't really matter.
Old 10/24/11, 03:57 PM

The Boss 302 was advertised as a track car that is street legal, not a race car that is street legal. Racing is usually defined as a competition between one or more cars and there are lap times and lap speeds recorded. We have an insurance agent that regularly goes to HPDEs with us and he says it is very important that you learn the difference between tracking a car and racing a car. Should you ever have a mishap at the track..what you say is critical.

Some insurance companies actually look at HPDEs as driver improvement courses if they meet certain criteria such as percentage of classroom instruction to driving time, as well as certified instructors both in the classroom and in the vehicle when it is being driven. No times are kept, passing is strictly controlled, etc.

When all this started with the Boss, I re-read the warranty on my Shelby and it specifically uses the term "racing." The warranty also discusses implied intent as done by Ford (not a dealership). In Ford's own released statements they have implied numerous times that the Boss 302 is a car that can be used as a daily driver then be taken out for an occassional track weekend. All the car magazine write ups also imply the same, but they don't talk about taking the car from the showroom floor to competitiion (racing).

Quick Reply: TracKey Has Arrived - Ford’s Email to All Ford and Lincoln Dealers