Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

TracKey Has Arrived - Ford’s Email to All Ford and Lincoln Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/11, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
The 91 octane minimum requirement in TK is also an indication that the tune is more aggressive than the black key, and may imply higher octane fuel will improve output.
Are you telling me that the Boss isn't a 91 octane minimum without the trackey? What is it?
Old 10/23/11, 09:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the 91 requirement it allows the ecm to run more aggressive timing in the midrange to make up the so called torque loss the roadrunner loses to the coyote. ie: the 390 ft/lb with track key and 380 without iirc
Old 10/23/11, 09:59 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Are you telling me that the Boss isn't a 91 octane minimum without the trackey? What is it?
No sticker on the inside of the filler cap = regular fuel is acceptable.

Doesn't mean you get max performance and economy on regular, just that the engine does not require higher than 87 octane to run OK.
Old 10/23/11, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

The 91 octane minimum requirement in TK is also an indication that the tune is more aggressive than the black key, and may imply higher octane fuel will improve output.
Do you have an opinion about 90 octane without ethanol as compared to 91 octane (is this assuming no ethanol?) as indicated by TracKey. I have only found 90 octane without ethanol here, having trouble finding 91. Also would you advise then going with 93 octane/ethanol mix which is easy to find. Hope this is only a slight divergence of your thread.
Old 10/23/11, 10:27 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LadyBoss302
Do you have an opinion about 90 octane without ethanol as compared to 91 octane (is this assuming no ethanol?) as indicated by TracKey. I have only found 90 octane without ethanol here, having trouble finding 91. Also would you advise then going with 93 octane/ethanol mix which is easy to find. Hope this is only a slight divergence of your thread.
Janice

Run 93 in the Boss. 91 is for the mid west and west coast have nots. Don't worry about the Ethanol.

Peter
Old 10/23/11, 01:22 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Excellent Question reguarding the 91 octane verse the 93 octane with ethanol.
Old 10/23/11, 03:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boss man
Excellent Question reguarding the 91 octane verse the 93 octane with ethanol.

Guys typically you always want to run as high an octane fuel as the engine NEEDS independent of "how" the oil company blends the fuel to achieve this octane.

The only caveat is gasoline fuels blended with alcohols need further attention. Blending gasoline with alcohol makes it “greener” as the alcohol brings to the combustion process chemical oxygen (from the chemical makeup of the alcohol, C2H6O for Ethanol) which is used in the combustion process. But you need more of this blended fuel to supply the energy to the engine to be converted into work. This is so called oxygenated fuel. The resulting blend DOES have or display a higher octane rating but the amount of “energy” (or BTU capacity) is quite a bit less in the alcohol blended fuel relative to pure gasoline. Ethanol only has 62.2% of the energy content per pound mass than does gasoline (for those wanting the actual numbers, higher, constant pressure heating value at 77F, Ethanol 12,780 BTU/lbm vs 20,556 BTU/lbm for Isooctane). Research octane of Ethanol is around 107. Typically octane does not have anything to do with engine power.

However, as computer controlled timing systems on engines have become more sophisticated and knock sensors implanted in our engines which listen to damaging detonation, the ECU through feedback systems can increase spark timing to take advantage of higher octane fuels. Older engines developed to run on say 87 octane fuel with a fixed maximum spark advance (based on 87 octane calibration) cannot advance engine spark advance for higher octane fuel and if you fill the car up with “premium” fuel thinking it will clean the engine or develop more power, you are just wasting your money. The Boss’s ECU can and does actively change engine spark both with the black key and it is believed to have alternate spark advance logic for TK.

But we should let Ford Racing people who monitor these posts come forward and answer your questions as to what spark advances or retardations vs. engine fuel octane ratings are accomplished with the certified version of TK.
Old 10/23/11, 05:05 PM

Below is my email to Ford Motor Company’s North American Customer Relationship Center about my concerns on the 3 years or 36,000 miles warranty after the installation of TracKey.
I will keep the forum informed when I get an answer from FMC.

23 October 2012

Mary Anne
Ford Motor Company
North American Customer Relationship Center

Thank you for the information I requested on the emission ratings for the 2012 Boss with and without the use of TracKey. The data you provided me from Ford’s Plant Vehicle Team/Performance/Racing Engine Calibration has indicated there is no difference between the emission ratings between the 2012 Boss with or without the use of TracKey.

Some of my requests about the Boss TracKey were addressed; others were not. Below is my original email to Ford Motor Company (FMO) about issues I have concerning the Boss TracKey program.

Ford Motor Company
Main Topic: Community/Environment
Email Questions:

What is the difference in the emission ratings between a 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 driving with TracKey and driving without TracKey?

Please include the Global Warming Score, Annual Greenhouse Gas Emissions, Smog Score, Emissions Certification Standard and Annual Smog Emissions for the following vehicles:

2012 Ford Mustang Boss Coupe without TracKey
2012 Ford Mustang Boss Coupe with TracKey
2012 Ford Mustang GT500 Coupe

Also, I would like to know what issues Ford is having before they can release TracKey to many anxious 2012 Boss owners.

V/r
Warren Martin

I contacted Lisa Chiladakis at CARB for the emission ratings for the 2012 Boss and the 2012 Shelby GT500. Below is CARBs comparison between the 2012 Boss and the 2012 Shelby GT500:
2012 BOSS COUPE 5L, 2012 GT500 COUPE 5.4L,

Emission Ratings

Global Warming Score: 4* 5*

Ranked 1-10 Ten is the cleanest Score*

Annual Greenhouse Gas Emissions: 12563 lbs. 13885 lbs.

Smog Score: 4* 6*

Ranked 1-10 Ten is the cleanest Score*

Annual Smog Emissions: 1650 grams per mile 2400 grams per mile

There are many online forums, i.e. The Mustang Source.Com and the Boss Mustang Online, for the 2012 Boss owners’ to vent their opinions about their 2012 Boss.

I am certain some if not all forums are monitored by FMC. Deysha, is a representative at Ford Customer Service Division that monitors The Mustang Source.Com. She has been very helpful answering some of our questions about most anything but TracKey.

The main topic of discussion on every forum, to no one’s surprise, is the release of TracKey. Why is it taking FMC so long to release TracKey? There has been a lot of finger pointing to CARB for TracKey not being released.

After I contacted CARB for the emission ratings for the 2012 Boss and the 2012 Shelby GT500 I find it hard to believe CARB was the reason for the long delay releasing TracKey. The emission ratings for the 2012 Boss was much lower than the 2012 Shelby GT500.

FOC first announcement of TracKey was on 11 November 2010 via “Media.Ford.Com. It was every Mustang owner’s dream or was it? We waited and waited for more information on TracKey.

The production of the Boss was announced but nothing on about TracKey. We place our orders with our Ford dealerships; they knew as much about TracKey as the future Boss owners did – NOTHING!

We have been driving our Boss for months and the only information we have about a delivery date for TracKey has always been the same answer; it will be here – SOON!

After nearly a year of virtually total silence from FMC about TracKey - the very long awaited announcement about the release of TracKey has arrived. However, the release date of TracKey at SEMA next month will keep all the forums very hot with new questions.

As a Boss owner I have many questions I feel that needs to be addressed by FCO so I may make an informative decision about having TracKey installed on my Boss.
The first announcement FOC released about TracKey was on 11 November 2010 via “Media.Ford.Com which read in part:

2012 MUSTANG BOSS 302 LETS LOOSE WITH TRACKEY; CHOOSE STOCK OR FULL-RACE CALIBRATION

• TracKey, available for 2012 Mustang Boss 302 owners through Ford dealers, adds TracMode powertrain control software to the car
for track use, providing full race calibration and two-stage launch control in addition to stock calibration,
without compromising factory warranty

• Using a dual-path powertrain control module (PCM), TracKey software is installed after the vehicle is purchased; accessed by a specially programmed vehicle key, new code coexists with stock Boss software, allowing drivers to choose between street or track use simply by selecting a key

• No aftermarket chips or permanent modifications are made when TracKey is used, allowing owners to return to the stock setting by starting the car with a regular key

It is my understanding:
TracKey is warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when installed on a Boss 302 or Laguna Seca by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts, when the warranted Ford Racing Part is identified as the causal part of a warrantable concern.

Marry Anne, the new 3 years or 36,000 miles warranty now has me and other Boss owners with many issues about TracKey that needs to be addressed promptly by FMO.

What happened to: TracKey, available for 2012 Mustang Boss 302 owners through Ford dealers, adds TracMode powertrain control software to the car for track use, providing full race calibration and two-stage launch control in addition to stock calibration, without compromising factory warrant?

1. Does the installation of TracKey reduce your current Ford driveline warranty to the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty?

2. How does TracKey affect owners that purchased an extended warranty from FOC?

3. Why is TracKey only installed after the purchase; is it to give the owner the option of 5 year 60,000 mile warranty without TracKey or 3 year 36,000 mile warranty with TracKey?

4. Would TracKey be the blame for premature T-86 transmission failures and not covered by the warranty?

If any of these TracKey concerns are true it is my opinion FMC has not been forth coming about TracKey and has used misleading marketing to promote TracKey.

V/r
Warren

From: Customer Relations, Nacrc (.) [mailto:nacrc@ford.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:16 AM
To: Martin, Paul W Civ USAF AFMC WR-ALC/GRNAAA
Subject: Ford Motor Company - Emission Ratings - 2012 Mustang TracKey

Hi Warren,

Below is the information obtained from our Plant Vehicle Team/Performance/Racing Engine Calibration contacts. I hope it is helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to write us. Have a great day!

For TracKey, here are the emissions numbers as determined by CARB at their lab:

Sincerely,
Mary Anne
Ford Motor Company
North American Customer Relationship Center
Old 10/23/11, 05:41 PM
Cobra Member

Good email!
Old 10/23/11, 05:48 PM
Banned

I smell a lawsuit. :sniff:
Old 10/23/11, 07:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I smell a lawsuit. :sniff:
I think I remember someone saying class action
Old 10/23/11, 10:59 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Jza1736
I think I remember someone saying class action
I think I see a or maybe I hear a

I hope ford never tries to make another fun car again..
Old 10/23/11, 11:08 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Old 10/23/11, 11:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang

I think I see a or maybe I hear a

I hope ford never tries to make another fun car again..
Yeah & I hope I never hear a false advertisement or a bait & switch ever again. But I guess we r both SOL!
Old 10/23/11, 11:46 PM
Cobra Member

I don't care who the company is or what they make. They should be held accountable for the product they market. Car dealerships are the worst with this. Hence, all the Boss's listed for MSRP. They should list them with the ADM.
Old 10/24/11, 03:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just curious if you have any first hand knowledge on which to base that opinion or just speculation? The reason I am considering trying it is based on a conversation another member on this board had with one of the programming engineers. He told him it will advance timing up to 100 octane. I have no reason to doubt that statement by the engineer, it's just that it becomes one more question about TK performance that has yet to be confirmed officially by Ford.
I don't have first hand info. I read the conversation you mentioned too. But there was something mentioned earlier this year by someone else "in the know" that corroborates the story.
Old 10/24/11, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jza1736
Good email!

Thanks!

I feel we are getting a royal screwing if TracKey decreases our manufactures driveline warranty from the 5 year/60,000 miles to 3 years 36,000 miles.

Maybe all Boss owners should park our cars in front of FMC and have a Boss-in
to protest this latest fiasco with TracKey!!!!!!!

Last edited by TheBlues9108; 10/24/11 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10/24/11, 07:12 AM

Yes, I agree with this that some parts will be covered beyond the 3 years. I also believe these statements by Ford give them a lot more room to wiggle and shake about covering a real defect in workmanship. I have worked with a different car company on a true Lemon. Man they just put you through the wringer. I wouldn't necessarily want to go through a hassle on a warranted item and hear, by gods you went out on a track, installed TracKey and see ya

That being said, I didn't buy this car for the TracKey, I saw it as part of my original deal to enhance performance for tracking and that if I tracked the car, I would be covered under my original warranty and Ford was going to stand by this product as a Track capable car with some racing parts.

That being said, why I really bought the car is because I love the Boss styling and new technology and I want to have FUN in my car. So i may assume more risk and have More fun with TracKey! Still considering.
Yes, Lady Boss 302 I agree with you about TracKey may give FMC some wiggle room to avoid warranty repairs.

I have also been through the Lemon Law process; it is time consuming but well worth the process. I have won all 16 Lemon Law mediations (5 different car manufactures) for myself and friends!

I feel we are getting a royal screwing if TracKey decreases our manufactures driveline warranty from the 5 year/60,000 miles to 3 years 36,000 miles.

Maybe all Boss owners should park our cars in front of FMC and have a Boss-in to protest of this latest fiasco with TracKey!!!!!!!

I have sent an email to Mary Anne at Ford Motor Company North American Customer Relationship Center asking her if TracKey changes the 5 years/60,000 miles warranty.

1. Does the installation of TracKey reduce your current Ford driveline warranty to the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty?

2. How does TracKey affect owners that purchased an extended warranty from FOC?

3. Why is TracKey only installed after the purchase; is it to give the owner the option of 5 year 60,000 mile warranty without TracKey or 3 year 36,000 mile warranty with TracKey?

4. Would TracKey be the blame for premature T-86 transmission failures and not covered by the warranty?

If any of these TracKey concerns are true it is my opinion FMC has not been forth coming about TracKey and has used misleading marketing to promote TracKey.

I will keep you updated.

Last edited by TheBlues9108; 10/24/11 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10/24/11, 07:22 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBlues9108
Thanks!

Maybe all Boss owners should park our cars in front of FMC and have a Boss-in
to protest this latest fiasco with TracKey!!!!!!!
I feel that we been getting screwed from the first day you took ownership of the car by not being able to purchase the TRACK KEY. Having the warranty pulled out of under you after promoting the car without compromising factory warranty is just the over the top and cannot be legal. As stated above....Some of us have waited 8 months ONLY to get taken avantage of!! Good job to all: on the post concerning the BAIT & SWITCH Warranty.
Old 10/24/11, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Shelby08
Aren't all warranties voided anyway if something goes wrong from running it on the track????

The Boss and TracKey has been overwhelmingly promoted as street car you drive to the track with the black Boss key and on the track with the red Boss key.

DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 11, 2010 – You hold two keys: One has a black Boss logo, the other red: Either will start your 2012 Mustang Boss 302. Slide the all-black key into the lock cylinder, give it a twist and you're treated to 444 ponies worth of smooth, streetable driving joy. Or choose red - the TracKey - and you have a competition-ready track car

TracKey

Quick Reply: TracKey Has Arrived - Ford’s Email to All Ford and Lincoln Dealers