2012-2013 BOSS 302
View Poll Results: CONFIRMED pricing only - How much are you paying for your Boss/LS (by type of car)?
Boss - under MSRP
11.02%
Boss - MSRP
58.27%
Boss - 0 to 2k over MSRP
7.09%
Boss - 2 to 4k over MSRP
0.79%
Boss - more than 4k over MSRP
1.57%
LS - under MSRP
3.15%
LS - MSRP
12.60%
LS - 0 to 3k over MSRP
1.57%
LS - 3 to 5k over MSRP
3.15%
LS - more than 5k over MSRP
0.79%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Those who have ordered - what are you paying?

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/11, 08:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Vito
out of about 25-30 dealerships only two have an LS, one said
other one hasn't gotten back to me yet after I asked price.
Those of us that locked in early may end up being pretty happy we paid MSRP. I won't be surprised to see many of these, Boss and Laguna Seca, going for ADMs. There just aren't that many being built.
Old 1/6/11, 09:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do have one dealership lined up MSRP for a regular Boss
Old 1/7/11, 09:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
Those of us that locked in early may end up being pretty happy we paid MSRP. I won't be surprised to see many of these, Boss and Laguna Seca, going for ADMs. There just aren't that many being built.
I think those of us who are paying MSRP will be giving the incentive for others to wait for when they will be BELOW this price. I think it also means that if people become aware that there were not many who paid above, then there won't be an easy opportunity for a dealer to say "the market says above".

I acknowledge that paying MSRP at this time is the price to own one of the first ones.
Old 1/7/11, 09:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
I think those of us who are paying MSRP will be giving the incentive for others to wait for when they will be BELOW this price. I think it also means that if people become aware that there were not many who paid above, then there won't be an easy opportunity for a dealer to say "the market says above".

I acknowledge that paying MSRP at this time is the price to own one of the first ones.
You could be right. However, if the economy improves and demand for toys picks up, the limited number of remaining Bosses will go up in price. Of course the inverse is true if demand is weak. I'm just saying that with such a small build quantity, I'd rather take my chances that I paid "a little" more than I might later this year than the chance I might pay more, maybe even a lot more. Not to mention I'll get a full spring/summer/fall to drive mine over waiting for one.
Old 1/7/11, 10:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
You could be right. However, if the economy improves and demand for toys picks up, the limited number of remaining Bosses will go up in price. Of course the inverse is true if demand is weak. I'm just saying that with such a small build quantity, I'd rather take my chances that I paid "a little" more than I might later this year than the chance I might pay more, maybe even a lot more. Not to mention I'll get a full spring/summer/fall to drive mine over waiting for one.
I think the GT500 market is one to reference, although anything could happen. As you well know, HUGE demand and subsequent HUGE markups were seemingly more of the norm, although not always the case. I only have anecdotal evidence from reading on forums and talking to a couple of dealerships in 2 states.

Fast forward to today...a smaller number of GT500s being built for 2011 (5500), and deals can be had. Buyers are more likely aware of the decpreciation hits on the first model years and less likely to pounce. Of course, I can't make judgments on anyone who pays a certain price because it's about what it is worth to the buyer.

However, to me this is similar to when Ford puts incentives on a car. It immediately "devalues" what might be asked for it by dealers.

For this car, I think it is relatively good news that many of posting here are NOT paying over MSRP on the standard Boss at the start. I believe it is an indicator that those dealers who ask more are less likely to move them. If we are truly motivated to get an early one, we most likely would look for a dealer, even one where there was some travel involved, to get one at the lower price.

If course, ultimately, this discussion might be moot since I certainly don't have enough information to assess where things are at. I think it would be good to see how many orders are actually in Ford's ordering system at this moment against the allocations.

We are just hedging bets, but if one believes the overall economic outlook news, I believe things will be at a similar level or less in terms of "positive outlook". Hard to say...
Old 1/7/11, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Confirmed today the purchase of a Black LS at slightly below MRSP. The dealer doesn't know delivery yet but thinks it's first quarter or second quarter.
Old 1/7/11, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean#4AI
Confirmed today the purchase of a Black LS at slightly below MRSP. The dealer doesn't know delivery yet but thinks it's first quarter or second quarter.
Nice Can we ask how much under?
Old 1/7/11, 08:23 PM
Cobra R Member

congrats Dean
do they have one more?
Old 1/7/11, 08:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Dean#4AI
Congrats!
Old 1/10/11, 06:37 PM
Cobra Member

I work at a dealership and paid slightly less than MSRP

CO with all the options. I love the hardware on the LS, but personally can't go for the aesthetics.

IMO MSRP is more than fair for the standard BOSS and $2-10k ADM is likely on the LS. Anything below that is a deal IMO.
Old 1/10/11, 08:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PACETTR

CO with all the options. I love the hardware on the LS, but personally can't go for the aesthetics.

IMO MSRP is more than fair for the standard BOSS and $2-10k ADM is likely on the LS. Anything below that is a deal IMO.
So that would be why 8 of the 10 LS buyers reporting in have paid MSRP or less?

You'll have an OKC neighbor with a silver one at sticker..... but I have to go to Alabama to buy it because none of the Oklahoma dealers with an LS allocation would even "talk price" with me (including JC). Kind of like I was treated back in '06.

Congrats on your car! What quarter are you getting it? Are you going to bring it up to Hallett to play?

Last edited by 66sprint200; 1/10/11 at 10:17 PM. Reason: sp
Old 1/10/11, 08:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

IMO MSRP is more than fair for the standard BOSS...

Anything below that is a deal IMO.

Why didn't you pay MSRP then?

I presume since the standard Boss prices are at or below MSRP, from the postings we've seen here, that we might be more likely to see below MSRP later in the model year more commonly.

Of course, that could be wishful thinking on my part. However, this seems to be different than the kind of GT500 mark-ups originally seen a few years back.
Old 1/11/11, 07:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 66sprint200
So that would be why 8 of the 10 LS buyers reporting in have paid MSRP or less?

You'll have an OKC neighbor with a silver one at sticker..... but I have to go to Alabama to buy it because none of the Oklahoma dealers with an LS allocation would even "talk price" with me (including JC). Kind of like I was treated back in '06.

Congrats on your car! What quarter are you getting it? Are you going to bring it up to Hallett to play?
Joe usually calls me for these kinds of things, and I'm not certain any of our stores have LS allocation. Probably why they wouldn't talk price. I am at the Yukon store if you ever want to stop by and say hi

I will definitely be at Hallett from time to time. I have seen your car around.

Why didn't you pay MSRP then?

I presume since the standard Boss prices are at or below MSRP, from the postings we've seen here, that we might be more likely to see below MSRP later in the model year more commonly.

Of course, that could be wishful thinking on my part. However, this seems to be different than the kind of GT500 mark-ups originally seen a few years back.
Because I got a "deal"

Keep in mind that people on this forum represent the minority; very informed and willing to travel. Most folks will check their local dealer(s) and be done, and when they see one AT MOST at any particular store, supply and demand takes over.

I applaud those who have scored "deals"

Last edited by PACETTR; 1/11/11 at 07:58 AM.
Old 1/11/11, 08:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Keep in mind that people on this forum represent the minority; very informed and willing to travel. Most folks will check their local dealer(s) and be done, and when they see one AT MOST at any particular store, supply and demand takes over.

I agree with that assessment. That's why I say if you can get an MSRP deal now, take it. Your "downside" is much greater than the potential "upside".

The upside: Wait and buy one under sticker later in the year. With so few being built, and at the price/value equation (unlike the KR), it is highly unlikely you'll see any go for invoice or even much under sticker.

The downside: Demand exceeds supply so the dealers that held out for ADM will get it, OR MORE IMPORTANTLY you might not get a car if unwilling to pay a potential ADM at that point.

IMO, it's worth taking the MSRP deal now if you can get it.
Old 1/11/11, 09:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Because I got a "deal"

Understand - was just giving a friendly jab Would you have been willing to pay MSRP?

And yes, I believe the information shared here has been helpful in attempting to understand the balance of supply and demand.

I am of the opinion that there is wisdom in some degree of waiting, but it's really too hard to say what "the market" really looks like regionally or nationally (both Canada and US), unless someone has access to the sales data that Ford sees. I guess we can conjecture based on the dealer allocations but I know I wonder how many people are in the market for a $40000-$47000 Mustang, especially based on the overlap with the GT500 pricing.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 1/11/11 at 09:20 AM.
Old 1/11/11, 09:28 AM
Cobra Member

Understand - was just giving a friendly jab Would you have been willing to pay MSRP?

And yes, I believe the information shared here has been helpful in attempting to understand the balance of supply and demand.

I am of the opinion that there is wisdom in some degree of waiting, but it's really too hard to say what "the market" really looks like regionally or nationally (both Canada and US), unless someone has access to the sales data that Ford sees. I guess we can conjecture based on the dealer allocations but I know I wonder how many people are in the market for a $40000-$47000 Mustang, especially based on the overlap with the GT500 pricing.
It is hard for me to say what I would pay as I have been selling Fords since the age of 21. I've never had to consider it.

And I believe there is more overlap with GT and Boss than Boss/GT500, at least from a price standpoint.
Old 1/11/11, 09:39 AM
FR500 Member

Since there is a time-dependent component to the price/demand curve, it might be useful to take a snapshot of pricing for future reference. So here is the breakdown as of today:

Boss - under MSRP____________7____15.91%
Boss - MSRP_________________25___56.82%
Boss - 0 to 2k over MSRP______2____4.55%
Boss - 2 to 4k over MSRP______0____0%
Boss - more than 4k over MSRP_0____0%
LS - under MSRP______________2___4.55%
LS - MSRP___________________6___13.64%
LS - 0 to 3k over MSRP________0____0%
LS - 3 to 5k over MSRP________1____2.27%
LS - more than 5k over MSRP___1____2.27%

Last edited by PTRocks; 1/11/11 at 09:45 AM.
Old 1/11/11, 09:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I think you should also break out your analysis for the Boss and LS separately.
Old 1/11/11, 09:57 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I think you should also break out your analysis for the Boss and LS separately.
Eventually, for the time being I'm just collecting the data. I don't have past snapshots to use, but I figured taking one at a point close to the start of production would be useful. The sample size is really small, and there is the inherent "keener" bias to the results. I am not a stats person, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express at some point in my life...
Old 1/11/11, 10:49 AM
GT Member

Joe usually calls me for these kinds of things, and I'm not certain any of our stores have LS allocation. Probably why they wouldn't talk price.
I was told that the Tulsa store had 1 allocation, but I was told "no word on asking price yet". I'm not sure about MWC? Another dealer in town had 1 allocation, but wasn't willing to discuss price either.

While I agree that this forum represents a minority of the car-buying public at large, I think that it is a bit more representative of the Boss 302 target market than, say, the regular Mustang GT or even the GT500.

First, the Boss is not nearly as recognized outside of the Mustang hobby as "Shelby" and thus won't draw in the cross-shoppers from other brands the way the GT500 did.

Second, this car is targeted specifically to road racing enthusiasts and especially to those us who are old enough to remember the 1970 Trans-Am campaign. I speak specifically about the lack of electronic gee-gaws and doo-dads that even people on this forum have "fussed" about; the lack of any options to personalize the car to a certain buyer's tastes; the sure-to-be-harsher road manners, doubly so for the LS, compared to the other Mustangs (I can hear some of the original GT500 buyers now....they thought that car was too harsh ). And I haven't yet mentioned the complaints that are sure to be heard from a certain demographic that you and I are both all too familiar with regarding the lack of horsepower for the comparable dollar spent (ie: buy a M-GT and supercharge it and it'll "blow the doors of the Boss on the street" crowd....)

Basically, I think the market for this car is smaller than some dealers might think. But I've been wrong before............

Anyways......

If you get your car before mine shows up, I'd beg a ride around the track in it

Quick Reply: Those who have ordered - what are you paying?