Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/12, 06:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered my bar in Race Red, looks like a high quality piece and I like how the rear shock towers get tied together. Kendall what is the finished weight?
Steve
Old 2/16/12, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I just bought one too.
Anyone looking for a harness bar? I have one for sale!
Old 2/16/12, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

LOTS of great info and references posted in this thread!! Keep 'em coming, guys. I for one am certainly learning a LOT!!

Gary - I too think your buddy is a smart dude! Our set-up is very similar - but we went with 3/16" steel and then we TIG-welded a ring-latch. The loads can be crazy high in a collision and we would have gone to 1/4" but we wanted to have full thread engagment. Anyway - the more choices that are out there - the better!!

Thanks too for the roll bar orders that keep coming in!
Old 2/16/12, 08:13 PM
V6 Member

" TIME TO MAKE THE DOUGHNUTS I MEAN THE ROLL BARS "
Old 2/17/12, 03:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Wow, this has become a highly informative thread. After having installed numerous racing seatbelts in cars and trucks, I enjoy seeing the ideas people have for installations that do not require using none stock mounting points. Love this thread.
Old 2/17/12, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Roll Bar Update - Feb 17

I had though there was a possibility that we could have the first set of bars shipped this week but it looks like it will be the end of next week. The first set of ordered bars are (in order of purchasing);

1. Terry - Red
2. Kelvin - Red
3. Rob - Red
4. John B. - Competition Orange
5. Jason - White

All 5 of these bars have been fabricated. 4 of the bars are at the powdercoater and the 5th bar is here as I just got it back from the packaging company. On Monday (I'm off work, but they aren't) I'll drop the 5th bar at powdercoat. Also, today we picked up from fabrication all of the large gusset plates that the bars will mount to. We are taking these to powdercoating Monday also. These gusset plates will be powdercoated in a fine black wrinkle coating - regardless of bar color as they will be hidden from view once installed.

The three red bars will be coated - no problem (and may already be completed and waiting.) The color match to Competition Orange had to be special ordered - with a minimum purchase of 50lbs at a cost of $12.25/lb. The Performance White was also a special order with the same minimum of 50lbs but the cost was $7.25/lb. I'm not going to charge either John or Jason a premium as I will count on other customers to order these colors in the future (Please, please!) I will add these as available "standard" colors and I plan to add the new 2013 silver inside the Laguna Seca as a "standard" color. From this point forward, however, I will provide a DELTA additional cost that is not one of (Red, Black, White, Orange, or the 2013 Silver).

In summary the first 5 bars and all of the gussets plates will ALL be at the powdercoater as of Monday. I was told that the special order Orange and White would both arrive during the week. As such, it is my expectation that all of these bars and gussets will be done by next Thursday (they're closed on Fridays.)

I have received the prototype packaging box with the provisions to hold the bars during shipment. The box is 36" x 58" x 8". With the bar, weight is 60 lbs. Shipping via Fedex to NY is $121.40 as an example. For a commitment of 50 boxes - my cost is $32 each. I think the shipping cost estimate on our website is, therefore, pretty close to actual costs which was our intent. The packaging company is telling us we will have the boxes on Friday. Our objective will be to box and ship the outbound bars on Friday and we will provide tracking numbers the day we ship. Please note that there is risk to slip a day or two if either the powdercoater is late receiving the custom colors and/or the packaging company slips on us. This is as candid as I can be regarding the EXACT disposition of the first set of bars.

Those of you in the second group - please smile! Hopefully, all of these aforementioned production pains will be worked out allowing us to go from fabrication to paint to shipment very efficiently. As for now, you bars are still in fabrication with an estimated ship date of mid-March. We still have a few bars available in this second batch if anyone is inclined to jump in!
Old 2/17/12, 10:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
Those of you in the second group - please smile! Hopefully, all of these aforementioned production pains will be worked out allowing us to go from fabrication to paint to shipment very efficiently. As for now, you bars are still in fabrication with an estimated ship date of mid-March. We still have a few bars available in this second batch if anyone is inclined to jump in!

Awesome, thanks for the update !!!

(Mine was ordered thru/by my friend Phil S., in NY, you are shipping both to him and we will make it a weekend project to do both our cars.)
Old 2/18/12, 02:55 AM
GT Member

Roll Bar Update - Feb 17

I had though there was a possibility that we could have the first set of bars shipped this week but it looks like it will be the end of next week. The first set of ordered bars are (in order of purchasing);

1. Terry - Red
2. Kelvin - Red
3. Rob - Red
4. John B. - Competition Orange
5. Jason - White

All 5 of these bars have been fabricated. 4 of the bars are at the powdercoater and the 5th bar is here as I just got it back from the packaging company. On Monday (I'm off work, but they aren't) I'll drop the 5th bar at powdercoat. Also, today we picked up from fabrication all of the large gusset plates that the bars will mount to. We are taking these to powdercoating Monday also. These gusset plates will be powdercoated in a fine black wrinkle coating - regardless of bar color as they will be hidden from view once installed.

The three red bars will be coated - no problem (and may already be completed and waiting.) The color match to Competition Orange had to be special ordered - with a minimum purchase of 50lbs at a cost of $12.25/lb. The Performance White was also a special order with the same minimum of 50lbs but the cost was $7.25/lb. I'm not going to charge either John or Jason a premium as I will count on other customers to order these colors in the future (Please, please!) I will add these as available "standard" colors and I plan to add the new 2013 silver inside the Laguna Seca as a "standard" color. From this point forward, however, I will provide a DELTA additional cost that is not one of (Red, Black, White, Orange, or the 2013 Silver).

In summary the first 5 bars and all of the gussets plates will ALL be at the powdercoater as of Monday. I was told that the special order Orange and White would both arrive during the week. As such, it is my expectation that all of these bars and gussets will be done by next Thursday (they're closed on Fridays.)

I have received the prototype packaging box with the provisions to hold the bars during shipment. The box is 36" x 58" x 8". With the bar, weight is 60 lbs. Shipping via Fedex to NY is $121.40 as an example. For a commitment of 50 boxes - my cost is $32 each. I think the shipping cost estimate on our website is, therefore, pretty close to actual costs which was our intent. The packaging company is telling us we will have the boxes on Friday. Our objective will be to box and ship the outbound bars on Friday and we will provide tracking numbers the day we ship. Please note that there is risk to slip a day or two if either the powdercoater is late receiving the custom colors and/or the packaging company slips on us. This is as candid as I can be regarding the EXACT disposition of the first set of bars.

I ordered mine on Thursday so I hope I'm in the 2nd batch. These are expensive compared to the MM bar but with the powder coating and apparent ease of install I think they will be well worth it. Reading this and other posts by Kendall I get the feeling he and his son are just enthusiasts like all of us that develop parts for their cars and then market the successful ones to us. Yes they may make a small profit but the R&D, fabrication and material costs for items like the roll bars and oil cooler kits are not cheap, high quality and attention to detail are evident in each post. I am happy to support guys like this and hope they succeed and continue to develop cool parts for all of us to enjoy.
Steve
Old 2/18/12, 04:00 AM
Cobra Member

Well said, Steve.

Looks like I ordered at the right time to be on the first batch.

Kendall, Thanks for the update.
Old 2/18/12, 06:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, thanks for the update Kendall. Hope the seat belts are coming along too!
Old 2/18/12, 07:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Steve and Jason for the comments. Yes, we are more expensive than the competition. Trust me, it doesn't necessarily mean that we are making any more margin!! I think once we get in a "normal mode", I am very pleased with the margins but we are kind of in "**** the torpedos" mode to get these out to fellow enthusiasts!

OK, belt status.... yes, this is progressing well. The good news is that belts may be available about the same time as the bars are. The bad news is that it may be because the bars slipped schedule a little bit. (OK, sorry, bad joke.) I received the custom-etched cam release for final approval. I love it. (I'll get a picture today and post it.) The embroidered tug straps have been previously approved and are in production. So, the belts sets will likely be up on the website and orderable very soon. The only component that I don't have a date on is the Mustang-specific belt clips that will be needed for the lap belts. I got a price last week from manufacturing which I OK'd. I just need to get an anticipated delivery date. I will communicate with all as soon as I have that. Expect a teaser pic later today.
Old 2/18/12, 07:07 AM
Bullitt Member

What is the width of the belts, and will they work with a HANS device, IE slightly narrower ?
Old 2/18/12, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

By weekday we are working to make parts for our beloved Boss 302s. To fund our fun Mustang hobby, the substantial part of our hands-on business is the Ford GT. Here's a pic of our modest shop.

Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-ct_shop.jpg

These days, I am merely the "back office" guy - and this is my son, Ryan (Age: 20), who really makes everything happen. This pic is of Ryan just after joining the 200MPH+ club - in a standing mile in this twin-turbo GT. Our customer, turned best friend, INSISTED that Ryan have the shot to hit 200MPH because Ryan is the one who pretty much single handedly built this 1100 RWHP beast! Last year Ryan built 6 twin-turbo GT's, numerous Whipple supercharger upgrades, and countless other Ford GT mods. To tie this diversion back into the Roll Bar thread - Ryan had a BIG ROLE in the evolution of the roll bar and the aesthetics. He is extremely detail oriented - even more so than I, but I say it is only because his eyes are better (younger).

Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-ryan.jpg

Here's a better pic of his work - still with some blue tape protecting some painted components. OK, yes, maybe you can tell that I am pretty proud of him - though I'm still kinda pissed that he kicks my butt at the track, besting my times in my own darn Laguna Seca!

Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-atrest.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-ttoncar.jpg  
Old 2/18/12, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Expect a teaser pic later today.
I headed out to the shop to work on the Boss, but now it looks like I will be taking my laptop out there too! I will be checking often!
Old 2/18/12, 08:49 AM
GT Member

Kendall he's only faster than you because he's too young to know what fear is
Old 2/18/12, 10:58 AM
V6 Member

Hi Kendall,

Thank you for all the hard work that you are putting into getting the bars out to all of us!
The smile on Ryan's face "PRICELESS" and I am happy for you.
So not only does Ryan have better eyesight he also has faster reflexes too ;-).
As far as your "modest shop", when I retire I would love to help Ryan turn wrenches. The only problem is that I will have a sign that says "WILL WRENCH FOR ROOM AND BOARD".

Yesterday installed the MGW shifter, with my son, and IMO it's a MUST DO mod for your car. I could not believe the difference it made. So after the first set of bars are shipped, take a brake and put one in your car. You deserve it!

Best regards,
Rob
Old 2/18/12, 12:53 PM
Cobra Member

Proud pappa! Good for both of you! nice that he's fast at 20! He will only get faster & better.
Old 2/18/12, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

OK guys - here's some pics.

This is a pick of the tug strap. These will be on the Harnesses as shown in the second pic. (I don't know Photoshop so I did what I could using PowerPoint!)

Name:  BeltTabPhoto.JPG
Views: 780
Size:  49.5 KB

And here are the tug straps integrated into the belts. Also notice the etching on the cam release. It is all metal - silver and black, although it looks white in the photo. It's a real quality piece - the pic does not do the cam release justice.

Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-tabonbeltmockup.jpg

Last edited by nota4re; 2/18/12 at 06:50 PM.
Old 2/18/12, 06:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Keep posting pics, my willpower is failing, I'm reaching for the checkbook
Old 2/18/12, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Very good news....wish I had looked at the website sooner so I would have been in on the first run...no worries tho...paid in full for the second run batch!

Quick Reply: Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek