Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/12, 08:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nota4re
**** owners unite!!! (I'd like to think I am one too!!)

Let me address the questions.

Regarding the panels. There are two reasons that people may want the panels from us. One, getting new panels will allow the owner to retain his/her existing panels in their virgin OEM form. Second, getting panels from us that are "pre-modified" will aid in the installation process - less for the customer to do. Obviously, many prospective customers would say yes to both reasons.

I purchased a pair of these panels with the intention of confirming 1) that I got the right panels and; 2) what the packaging was. The good news is that I did indeed get the right panels and the bad news is that the boxes are very large. Our challenge is in packaging/shipping and how do we achieve this in the most economical way. We are still looking at that. Additionally, we are looking at the "degree of difficulty" of the panel mods that would be needed and how easily the average DIY'r could do these mods themselves. Just to be completely transparent - we seek to sell roll bars and have no interest in making profits from selling OEM panels. As such, we are aligned with our prospective customers in that we want to keep panel costs and shipping as low as possible - all of which may add to the attractiveness of our roll bar solution.

In summary: We will provide an option to order panels from us and pre-modifying them is the least of our concern. We DO have concerns about shipping costs. We still have work to do to determine the amount of mods and best methods for the DIY'r to achieve. We would like to make this as easy as possible - potentially enabling you to purchase/obtain your panels locally. The good news here is that the panels are hardly unique. To the best of my knowledge, they are NOT unique to the Boss and there's probably a LOT of current gen Mustang models that share this panel. As such, they are hardly a "treasure" and should be easily obtainable many, many years into the future.

The other interior mod will be where the support tubes transition into the trunk. We tried to be as smart as we could in lessening panel mods when we came up with our design. The horizontal sheetmetal rear shelf (that houses your rear speakers) comes forward and then has ~4" vertical lip on it. The LS cross brace attaches to this lip and the Boss rear seats have a latch on this lip. Our support tubes transition to the trunk just below this lip. The design objective was 1) to avoid making any cuts in this sheetmetal and; 2) get as close as we can to this lip.... thus enabling LS owners the ability to "notch" the upper edge of their trim panel instead of cutting a hole. Frankly speaking - I still don't know what mod is required here. I will have more info and pics soon. After all... if you're still reading this there's no denying that you ARE ****!

Aside from the minor interior trimming/mods that will be needed, the other question was what holes/cutting/sawing must be done for installation. Again, we've tried to make this as easy and least intrusive as possible! There will be 4 holes total that will need to be drilled - and you won't even need a template to make them. In the trunk and around the rear shock towers, you will see that Ford uses double-wall sheetmetal as reinforcement. The sheetmetal layer on the trunk side and easily visible to you has a couple of holes in it - but the sheetmetal layer that it sandwiches against doesn't have these holes. We will have you drill out the holes through the second layer of sheetmetal - 2 holes per shock tower and this is where we will have you bolt in the shock tower brace along with momentarily dropping the top of the shock to use it as an additional attachment point for the brace. That is the totality of drilling/cutting that you will do. Everything else is complete bolt-in.

Sorry for the long post. As I say way too often...... "more soon".
Thanks for the detailed information. I didn't realize that the panel were so large. Knowing that now I will most likely elect to source the panels locally and use your directions for modifying the panels.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 1/12/12, 09:04 AM
GT Member

So the side panel only needs a notch cut in the back?

I was looking at the bar from MaxMo and they require the panel to be cut in half, I'm hoping yours doesn't go that far.
Old 1/12/12, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

So the side panel only needs a notch cut in the back?

I was looking at the bar from MaxMo and they require the panel to be cut in half, I'm hoping yours doesn't go that far.
"MaxMo" rear braces attach to the wheel well sheetmetal. Our rear braces are significantly more "in-board" and do not require any modification to the side panels. The side panel modification is solely the mods needed for the foot of the main hoop (on each side). Hope that helps.
Old 1/12/12, 01:53 PM
GT Member

"MaxMo" rear braces attach to the wheel well sheetmetal. Our rear braces are significantly more "in-board" and do not require any modification to the side panels. The side panel modification is solely the mods needed for the foot of the main hoop (on each side). Hope that helps.

So you're saying just a notch at the floor where main hoop attaches. I like that much better.

I'm still in for one, just have to wait till my wife gets her retirement check sorted out.
Old 1/12/12, 11:08 PM

Wow. This is the best read I've ever read about a roll bar installation. You have successfully made a technical article into an interesting read! I'm quite excited about the potential for your bar and harness. I can't wait to order my 13 Boss.
Old 1/13/12, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow. This is the best read I've ever read about a roll bar installation. You have successfully made a technical article into an interesting read! I'm quite excited about the potential for your bar and harness. I can't wait to order my 13 Boss.
And you, sir, make sure you get your *** back over here safe and sound after serving our great Country. PM or email me when and if you ever are interested in a product from us! Take care.
Old 1/26/12, 08:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I picked the first roll bar up last night!! Off to powder coating today! I have a week-long biz trip next week but expect to have some "FINISHED PRODUCT" pics next weekend. FINALLY!
Old 1/26/12, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Impatiently waiting
Old 1/26/12, 11:32 AM
GT Member

Awesome! Can't wait.
Old 1/30/12, 12:12 PM
V6 Member

I picked the first roll bar up last night!! Off to powder coating today! I have a week-long biz trip next week but expect to have some "FINISHED PRODUCT" pics next weekend. FINALLY!
Have a safe trip Kendall!

Rob
Old 2/2/12, 07:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks like we nailed the color....

(Cool Tech Roll Bar pictured with OEM LS cross brace.)

Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-barcolor.jpg
Old 2/2/12, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

Looking good!
Old 2/2/12, 10:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Beautiful!!
Old 2/2/12, 01:30 PM
V6 Member

Kendall you didn't just nailed it you hit it out of the ballpark !

The pipe clamps look awesome. I don't see the seatbelt centering brackets, did you decide not to use them ? The bar is going to look great with black seat belts with some red Boss Logos on them, can't wait to see them. When can we expect them to be on the Cool Tech website ? Hope you are having fun on your business trip.

Rob
Old 2/2/12, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man that is SWEEEEEEET! Just waiting for the word mine is ready!
Old 2/2/12, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

cant wait to see a comp orange painted rollbar in a C/O Boss....
Old 2/2/12, 09:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Bars look really good painted. Can hardly wait to see pictures after final installation.
Old 2/3/12, 08:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smbstyle
cant wait to see a comp orange painted rollbar in a C/O Boss....
I considered it, but thought it would be too much. I decided to follow the roof and interior color. I'd be curious to see one though if someone decides to do it.
Attached Thumbnails Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-012.jpg  
Old 2/3/12, 09:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
I considered it, but thought it would be too much. I decided to follow the roof and interior color. I'd be curious to see one though if someone decides to do it.
I am also against "too much" in my street car, but since I have KB, I think that would be the bee's knees to have the bar painted KB. A little flair, but not too much...maybe just right.

Jimmy
Old 2/3/12, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Got back from my trip and jumped in on getting the roll bar installed.

Attached are some first pics. Notice the strategic location for the pass-thru to the rear strut brace... This location requires only a notch in one panel. Fitment has been amazing. (The side panels shown are the prototypes and the production templates will have you leave more material for a tighter fit. We'll share pics when we do the next install!!

Going to bed...

Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-photo1.jpg

Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-photo5.jpg

Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek-photo6.jpg

Quick Reply: Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek