Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/12, 07:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roketman
If I want to look cool at a cruise night ,I drive a Ford GT!
Rub it in Ron.
Old 3/5/12, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I still can't get any babes!
Old 3/7/12, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got the main hoop installed. Did it by myself, but would have been easier with some help. No issues and very nice fit! The only thing I would do different is to put painters tape on the black bracket during the install. Got a small scratch in the black powder coat as seen in the picture. I did keep the bar covered with the shipping foam during the install.

Old 3/7/12, 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2006mach1
Got the main hoop installed. Did it by myself, but would have been easier with some help. No issues and very nice fit! The only thing I would do different is to put painters tape on the black bracket during the install. Got a small scratch in the black powder coat as seen in the picture. I did keep the bar covered with the shipping foam during the install.
Lookin good! I'm starting mine tomorrow and I will take your advise about protecting the gusset.
Old 3/8/12, 07:45 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
That looks GREAT. Love the C/O bar.
Old 3/8/12, 05:42 PM
GT Member

Just got the word about my bar from Kendall today. Went to powder coat and is shipping next week. Perfect timing as my car is going in for paint tomorrow, carbon decklid, Tiger hood and roof getting done in Wood Brothers Red/Performance White. Lime rock 4/9, lots of work yet to be done!
Steve
Old 3/9/12, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

It is not mentioned in the directions, but when install the bracing in the back, you will have to scrap seam sealer from the inner fender to get the backing plate to fit flush. Also, when drilling the holes for the plates, pull out the inner fender liner enough so when you drill from the inside, you do not drill thru the liner also. In the pic you can see where I had to remove the sealer. Directions say to drill 3/8 holes, but I drilled 5/16, as that is the bolt size. I like tight fits! The fit of the entire bar is amazing! What a nice and clean install when done.

Old 3/9/12, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Here are some more pics of the finished product. Easy install and I did it all by myself. Well, I did have my GF hold the 1/2 wrench on the inner fender bolts. Everything fit perfect! And as I said before, very clean! The bar almost looks like a factory install. Now all I need to do is get a rear seat delete built or purchased. Not sure what route I am going to go there? Sorry if there is too many pics in one post.

Old 3/9/12, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey John, awesome job on the install. Thanks for all the tips and feedback. I'm updating the instructions as we speak to include your tips for the backing plates. I'm glad the bar is tight - that's the way all 3 have been that we did here locally. It is really amazing the car to car consistency from Ford. Again, thanks for taking the time to take and post all of the pics!
Old 3/9/12, 11:43 PM
V6 Member

Qy

Originally Posted by 2006mach1
It is not mentioned in the directions, but when install the bracing in the back, you will have to scrap seam sealer from the inner fender to get the backing plate to fit flush. Also, when drilling the holes for the plates, pull out the inner fender liner enough so when you drill from the inside, you do not drill thru the liner also. In the pic you can see where I had to remove the sealer. Directions say to drill 3/8 holes, but I drilled 5/16, as that is the bolt size. I like tight fits! The fit of the entire bar is amazing! What a nice and clean install when done.

Hi John,

Thanks for your updates and suggestions. Had I read this update I defenitely would have drilled the hole to 5/16" as I broke off a 3/8" drill bit when I hit the heavy section of the metal. I also had to grind down some of the spot welds that were sticking out too much and would not allow the strut bar to butt up flush against the left rear shock tower. I also painted the area afterwards. You also did a great job on trimming the panels around the main hoop. Hope you find a good rear seat delete kit to finish the project. Did you use any thread locking compound on the main hoop bolts before the final torque? I was going to talk to Kendall about that but forgot. I too did most of it myself but had the wife help here and there. She loves the look of the bar and as Kendall once said "when the Queen is happy, the land is happy!"

Regards,

Rob
Old 3/10/12, 04:43 AM
GT Member

Man that looks good! Now I can't wait for mine to get here. The fit is awesome and the finish looks great as well. Plenty of opportunities for sponsor and event decals LOL! Great job on the trim work too.
Steve
Old 3/10/12, 06:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have came down to help if you asked I dIdnt realize you were doing yourself...
I am heading over to your place sunday to check it out.. Hopefully weather will be good..
Old 3/10/12, 06:21 AM
GT Member

John you can make a seat delete for tons less than buying one. I did mine for less than $50 in material.

Just get some thick cardboard to make a template. I used 3/8" plywood and painted it flat black to seal it and covered it in a wool felt from hobby lobby.

Better that paying $150 for one and having to cut it to fit around the bars.
Old 3/10/12, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
I would have came down to help if you asked I dIdnt realize you were doing yourself...
I am heading over to your place sunday to check it out.. Hopefully weather will be good..
Shawn, I thought about asking you...... then got busy and forgot. Should be here on Sunday. Looks like I will building a rear seat delete. Supposed to warm.
Also, I painted the inner fender plates and surrounding area semi flat black. I did not have to grind any welds on mine.
Old 3/12/12, 05:33 PM
Cobra Member

Got mine installed today! Not too bad of an install. Beveling the edges of the joints and a drop of wd40 should be added to the instructions. after that, it was a breeze!

It looks amazing and a professional install.
Attached Images  
Old 3/12/12, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That does look good! Great job Jason!
Old 3/12/12, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dig-It Racing
That does look good! Great job Jason!
Thanks Kevin!
Old 3/13/12, 06:42 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Job well done Jason! Bar looks Great. I love it!!!
I sure wish I could afford one. Maybe Cooltech would be interested in sponsoring a bar with Cooltech decals on it for my car........LOL
O-Well, some day the money will come along.
Can't wait to see your car in person.
Old 3/13/12, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks great!!

Still really hoping for a 05 - 09 GT version of this someday soon! I would think there would be a heck of market out there.
Old 3/13/12, 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Still really hoping for a 05 - 09 GT version of this someday soon! I would think there would be a heck of market out there.
As far as we know, the Cool Tech roll bar should fit just fine in any 2005+ (S197) Mustang Coupe. Do you see any reason that it wouldn't?

Quick Reply: Cool Tech Roll Bar - Sneak Peek