Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Brake upgrades for the track after reviews

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/11, 12:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smbstyle
I think ya'll are getting cabin fever, lol, buying all this stuff before you even drive the car and spending money on something based on the opinion of a magazine editor...

Here's my opinion, take it with a grain of salt. Drive the car on track first THEN decide what to get and what it needs! Not only will you then know EXACTLY where the weak points are, but you all also have a better appreciation for the mods you install to fix the issue than you would just slapping them on as soon as you buy the car based on a complaint you read in a magazine article.
So true, but my first track day is less than one month away
Old 2/25/11, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
None of the ones mentioned are street suitable, unless you want noise, dust, and ruined rotors...
That's what i loved about the DS2500's...they were great, almost no squeal(only when hot), and rotor wear was easy along with WAAAY less dust than factory pads. I will run OEM for a while and then do the DS2500's as a street/auto x pad and then go to a dedicated track pad for HPDE. No reason to skimp on brakes for the track regardless of what the reviews say
Old 2/25/11, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Agree with CO VaporGT. My Boss will on track probably by the end of April....need that stuff!
Old 2/25/11, 04:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
None of the ones mentioned are street suitable, unless you want noise, dust, and ruined rotors...
It takes 10 mins per side to swap the front pads out (I'd even run with the stock rears) at the track. Anyone that wants a combo that would work well on the street and on the track is going to be dissapointed somewhere.
Old 2/25/11, 04:18 PM

You should drive down here to AZ, we run year-round
Old 2/25/11, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by StillIntense
I've also run Hawk Blacks street and track on my Cobra R, and was very happy with them.
06GT: with your "Track Proven combos", did you ever drive them on the street as well, and if so, were they street usable?
I've run DTC70s on the street in the front as I was too lazy to remove them after the end of the track weekend, but they did score up my rotors a little from using them for 3 days well under their temp range. There was no loss of street stopping power when they were cold. I'd not recommend them for dual-purpose due to the rotor wear characteristics when they are cold.

Guys--just swap the pads out at the track! If you're changing to a set of wheels and tires for the track, it's a minimal additional burden. If you're running street tires on the track, you could probably get away with a dual-purpose pad since you won't be going as fast anyways.

Last edited by 06GT; 2/25/11 at 04:23 PM.
Old 2/25/11, 05:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
I've run DTC70s on the street in the front as I was too lazy to remove them after the end of the track weekend, but they did score up my rotors a little from using them for 3 days well under their temp range. There was no loss of street stopping power when they were cold. I'd not recommend them for dual-purpose due to the rotor wear characteristics when they are cold.

Guys--just swap the pads out at the track! If you're changing to a set of wheels and tires for the track, it's a minimal additional burden. If you're running street tires on the track, you could probably get away with a dual-purpose pad since you won't be going as fast anyways.
I think the ds2500's will be perfect for autox and, ahem...backroads then switch to the DTC70s for hardcore track use. thanks 06GT!
Old 2/25/11, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
I think the ds2500's will be perfect for autox and, ahem...backroads then switch to the DTC70s for hardcore track use. thanks 06GT!
Not to confuse things further, but generally using same manufacturer pads for track and street minimizes the pad incompatibility problems, so often it's recommended to use say Hawk HPS street, and their DTCs, unless swapping out rotors (that's a bit of a bigger job than just the pads) as well. Different manufacturers for each tends to lead more to brake judder problems.
Old 2/25/11, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not to confuse things further, but generally using same manufacturer pads for track and street minimizes the pad incompatibility problems, so often it's recommended to use say Hawk HPS street, and their DTCs, unless swapping out rotors (that's a bit of a bigger job than just the pads) as well. Different manufacturers for each tends to lead more to brake judder problems.
Thanks for the heads up!! Information like this is what makes forums like this world class...no BS just opinions backed up by facts. I FINALLY found a forum like http://www.IWSTI.com that has great people and intelligent info!!! I'm glad I'm here
Old 2/26/11, 05:37 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, a set of PFC01 pads, DOT4 fluid, and the cooling ducts should be a substantial improvement over the stock system.

Give the guys at Rehagen a call, I know they've played with brakes a bit and might have more insight than I do on the subject.
Old 2/26/11, 05:54 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

I'm moving to my new house today. I have a lot to add here much from 2011 trial and error. Will post later, can't right now
Old 2/26/11, 07:51 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

It's been confirmed that all the Boss cars driven on the track at Laguna Seca this past week had the cooling ducts installed.
Old 2/26/11, 08:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Cloud9 what do you thing about Ferrodo DS2500's front and rear with Motul RBF600?
Haven't tried them. I've heard nothing but good things about the Motul fluid, but I run the Brembo 600 and haven't had a good reason to change. I've been very happy with the DTC 70/60 combo and have brand new pads in the garage already. They're not cheap and will eat rotors but they stop the car! You can't run any track pads on the street unless as stated you want to sound like a Burlington Northern and unnecessarily wear your rotors. They also don't work well in panic stops when cold. I run the DBA two-piece rotors for weight savings. The stock rotors will work fine and you'll probably replace them more often, but there's more rotating mass. The difference is 8 lbs per rotor.
Old 2/26/11, 08:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

+1 that's why I want to be ready. We know we have to change pads and fluid. The rotors can be changed to save weight but aren't necessary. The steel lines are $200 so not a big deal one way or the other, but based on the reviews, it certainly implies they will improve the feel/responsivenes. That's less than half the cost of one set of pads.
Old 2/26/11, 08:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

No reason to skimp on brakes for the track regardless of what the reviews say
That's why I'm doing more than just pads and fluid
Old 2/26/11, 08:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
It takes 10 mins per side to swap the front pads out (I'd even run with the stock rears) at the track. Anyone that wants a combo that would work well on the street and on the track is going to be dissapointed somewhere.
Old 2/26/11, 08:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
I'm moving to my new house today. I have a lot to add here much from 2011 trial and error. Will post later, can't right now
Someone hire a mover for him!
Old 2/26/11, 08:53 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Someone hire a mover for him!
That's what friends are for! I'm heading up there after I get out of work, but I'll most likely miss all the big stuff.
Old 2/26/11, 09:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
That's what friends are for! I'm heading up there after I get out of work, but I'll most likely miss all the big stuff.
Thanks overboost! You take the boxes and hand Shaun the laptop!
Old 2/28/11, 06:35 AM
Bullitt Member

this is what you boys need for the Boss... (just got these in the other week for my CTS-V):

Quick Reply: Brake upgrades for the track after reviews