Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss 302 vs Camaro ZL-1 in Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/12, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
I've never thrown a code for overheating and I've pushed my car as much as anyone on the track. I've also NEVER had an issue with the brakes. (btw, the '13 brakes are no different than the '12). Now they have made accommodations to the grille and hood to hopefully allow it to run cooler, but we've yet to see them tested by an owner on track. There is a simple foolproof solution to cooling the '12s though, and that's removing the grille on track days. Other options (I've chosen) are the 302S grille, hood and radiator for people that are really pushing the car. The 302S hood provides significant downforce (its primary purpose) so additional cooling is a side benefit. I haven't seen any discussion of greater downforce with a '13 hood, although it's possible albeit likely less significant since it's not as open.
I'm glad your not having trouble, but many people have gone into limp mode on the track. Many people/articles have had some brake fade. I'm just listening to what is on the board here and in some magazine articles. Also, since I do not live in SD, but close to the surface of the sun, I really need the car to be able to survive 90 degree days. The only thing that sucks worse then your engine going into limp mode on the first session of the weekend is your brake pedal going to the floor coming into a 90 turn when your going 110 mph. Ok, maybe blowing your engine from oil starvation. Makes losing your clutch pedal or your tire coming apart seem really really minor.
Old 1/21/12, 03:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluesun
I'm glad your not having trouble, but many people have gone into limp mode on the track. Many people/articles have had some brake fade. I'm just listening to what is on the board here and in some magazine articles. Also, since I do not live in SD, but close to the surface of the sun, I really need the car to be able to survive 90 degree days. The only thing that sucks worse then your engine going into limp mode on the first session of the weekend is your brake pedal going to the floor coming into a 90 turn when your going 110 mph. Ok, maybe blowing your engine from oil starvation. Makes losing your clutch pedal or your tire coming apart seem really really minor.
I'm just trying to correct the facts from your post.

Limp mode due to overheating does not throw a code. The car returns power once the CHT drops below approx 254F and does not leave a CEL. There were some issues with random misfire codes (totally unrelated to overheating) but those were resolved with a crankshaft relearn procedure done as a TBS at your dealer.

There are no issues with the Boss brakes. They're the same brakes as on the GT Brembo cars and GT500. The only issues I've seen reported with brakes are related to improper pad selection, or failure to use a DOT4 high temp fluid. Those are not issues with the Boss, they'd occur on ANY vehicle used on the track. A few articles question the brakes bite, but not using track pads or fluid. Anyone putting their car on the track without them is asking for trouble. Again, the 2013 has the same brakes as the '12 so I don't get your point about waitig for a '13.

It's generally 90+ in central Nebraska and 85-95 even in Northern MN during the summer so it's only cold up here in the winter, not when we're on the track
Old 1/21/12, 04:24 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by bluesun
Yes, the Boss has been throwing codes for the engine over heating and also the brakes do not seem to be up to the task. The main reason I'm waiting for a '13. I really fail to see how Ford screwed this up, but there you have it. Not sure about the LS1.
??? I was referring to the supercharged ZL1. AFAIK there are no mechanical differences between the two model years. The new grill with the removable fake fog lights and hood vents might improve on track cooling but that remains to be seen.
Old 1/21/12, 07:04 PM
Cobra R Member

The ZL1 looks pretty balanced.

Still prefer the Mustang though.
Old 1/21/12, 07:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
The ZL1 looks pretty balanced.

Camaro ZL1 Coupe Track and Road Footage - Red, Silver, and White ZL1s - YouTube

Still prefer the Mustang though.

Like most Gm products its longevity is for crap!
Old 1/21/12, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
??? I was referring to the supercharged ZL1. AFAIK there are no mechanical differences between the two model years. The new grill with the removable fake fog lights and hood vents might improve on track cooling but that remains to be seen.
I know you were referring to the ZL1, but I haven't heard anything bad about it's track performance yet. Just trying to be neutral, despite wanting a Boss.

As for brakes, why would a track focus car require a change of pads and fluid to go on track? I'm pretty sure a Porche could be taken out without that. And this entire thread talks about how to get non fading performance: https://themustangsource.com/f813/br...eviews-492130/

As for the overheating, this thread: https://themustangsource.com/f813/co...ilable-503600/

and this comment: "From discussions with some very knowledgeable people, the main challenge with the OEM Boss engine in warm-weather track conditions is that there is no upper plateau for oil and water temps. In our (OEM) testing on a 90F day, we saw coolant temps as high as 240 and oil temps in excess of 300 - resulting in limp-mode. The longer duration the track sessions, the worse both temps became. With this oil cooler, we saw 220-230 degree max water temps and oil temps at a max of 280 degrees."

A 90F day will happen in March around here, so track season is pretty much from October to April. I was incorrect about the overheating throwing a code, but limp mode is not much fun either. I know in the 12's you can take out the grill but that just seems to be a cheesy solution. Some are also buying the S version hood and radiator.

So, as much as I want a Boss I was really hoping I wouldn't have to screw around worrying about the brakes and the cooling.
Old 1/21/12, 07:57 PM
Cobra Member

Every first run production car will find issues here and there. The cooling issue is an ez fix. As for the brakes they are a good PFC street pad. You can take them on the track. But if you push the car hard, you probably will experience brake fade. For the peace of mind and security, why wouldn't you switch to a dedicated track pad?

The Boss comes with Dot 3 brake fluid. The manual states to change to Dot 4 before tracking the car. Why would Ford put Dot 4 in every car when maybe 10-15% will see the track and HPDE events?

If you want a track car that you won't have to change anything buy a 302S and be done with it.
Old 1/21/12, 08:08 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
Put the ZO6's 427 in a Camaro and see if it can beat a Boss on the track, I'll call the weight penalty vs more power a draw. If it can do that I'll be impressed an give it high praise.
Good question, alot of Z/28 fans want an LS7 powered Camaro with the ZL1 suspension goodies, however the thinking is that this hypothetical Z/28 would cost the same or more than the ZL1 (since the LSA in the ZL1 was designed as a cheaper alternative to the LS7)

Originally Posted by adam81
Yes those cars have big motors and are powerful. But that magnetorheological suspension is amazing. It is so good Ferrari now has something similar they run on their cars.....
Indeed, Ferrari liscensed the technology from GM, somebody else as well (Acura or Lexus seem to ring a bell though I'm not certain), I think the MRC shocks more than anything else contributed to the ZL1's on track performance since they allowed the tires to stay in contact with the road better.

Originally Posted by cloud9
I've handily outrun C6 Grand Sports in the Boss let alone a standard C6, but as I mentioned above I run about 2 seconds slower than a Z06 that's driven well. I'm really curious to hear what GM has to say about the ZL1 versus their own flagship Corvette lineup. Based on this test it would lay waste to the C6 and Grand Sport and be comparable to the Z06. I'm having a hard time comprehending that with the almost 1000 lb. weight difference between the Z06 and ZL1 no matter how "magical" this new suspension setup might be. I guess we'll know more when they start showing up at the track this summer.
Take it for what its worth, but the Z06 is IIRC around 15-20 seconds faster at the 'ring per GM's own timed runs.

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Does anyone over the age of 12 really look at a Camaro and say, 'wow', or 'cool', or 'I want one'?
Well if sales are any indicator there are either alot of 12 year olds who know a thing or two about running a lemonade stand or maybe alot of people did want the Camaro.

Originally Posted by bpmurr
You do have a point. I've read a few GT-R reviews that say while it's a fast car and all, it's kind of boring to drive because so much of the heavy lifting is done by the car.
And yet there are Mustangers who want an AWD Mustang with a DCT, torque vectoring this and so on. Technological convergence is a bad thing (although those MRC shocks on the ZL1 are pretty cool)

Last edited by bob; 1/21/12 at 08:35 PM.
Old 1/21/12, 09:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

I would not give the win to the ZL1 because it was a preproduction model. We do not know how close that thing was to a production model in suspension setup. The only way to know how the ZL1 stacks up against the Boss 302 LS is to run a production ZL1 against a Boss 302 LS on at least 10 tracks with 10 different drivers and then do a statistical analysis of the data to determine a winner. Untill then , we just have a ballpark indication of how the ZL 1 might perform.
Old 1/21/12, 09:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I would not give the win to the ZL1 because it was a preproduction model. We do not know how close that thing was to a production model in suspension setup. The only way to know how the ZL1 stacks up against the Boss 302 LS is to run a production ZL1 against a Boss 302 LS on at least 10 tracks with 10 different drivers and then do a statistical analysis of the data to determine a winner. Untill then , we just have a ballpark indication of how the ZL 1 might perform.
And yet based on one track, we all boast of our superiority over the M3. The Camaro just won bragging rights fair and square. No biggie.
Old 1/21/12, 09:44 PM
Cobra Member

Talking

I found the article entertaining , but would not give the ZL1 bragging rights because the driver was afraid to run up on the curbs with the Boss LS. If I were to drive the ZL1, I would probably run 3 seconds slower than I would with the LS because I dont like the steering wheel,seats, or visibility in the ZL1. It all comes down to how comfortable one is in the car to get the best time when on the track. That was more what the article said about the time on the track. Now, I would brag about the LS having a higher average g-force than the ZL1. It all comes down to what one wants to brag about.
Old 1/21/12, 10:12 PM
Cobra Member

Question

rmaginnis, where did you find the chart on lateral acceleration ?
Old 1/21/12, 10:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

And yet based on one track, we all boast of our superiority over the M3. The Camaro just won bragging rights fair and square. No biggie.
I agree. Next round...GT500 vs. ZL1.
Old 1/22/12, 05:13 AM
GT Member

Let's get some ZL-1s on the road, we in the Mustang community have worked out a lot of bugs that mostly show up under track conditions and have or are finding solutions. Shifting issues, brake fade, axle venting, cooling just to name a few, if GM puts this car out and it has no issues on track, then bully for them, but like Gary states is the Camaro going to out perform the 900 lb lighter Z06? We have had a full season of flogging our cars and finding the limits, let give it 6 months and see what this car is really about.
Steve
Old 1/22/12, 07:36 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cf6mech
I was thinking more in the terms of letting you take it out yourself for a few.
lol, i may take you up on that!
Old 1/22/12, 07:45 AM
Cobra Member

well the catch is, we have seen bmw's, m3's, and porshces on many tracks all fall to the Boss. the only new camaro ive ever seen at the track was a full on race car from young Chevrolet. i still don't call this a pure win. honestly Probst is a world class driver and does anyone think if he was trying to win a race in that LS he wouldn't have run that thing up on those curbs and not said a word about it?

Old 1/22/12, 01:46 PM
GT Member

I just realized...........who gives a s>>>! I've owned my own repair business with machine shop, in time the exhaust valve guides will wear with the valve spring rates they are running so it will start spraying for musquitoes and the first time the engine starves for oil count on cyl 1 & 2 rod bearing along with the first main to go squeak and then its over. (they joy of having the oil pump attached to the last main bearing cap. Dont lose sight that its still a GM product, Hand grenade with the pin already pulled.
Old 1/22/12, 02:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by BLAZN BOSS
I just realized...........who gives a s>>>! I've owned my own repair business with machine shop, in time the exhaust valve guides will wear with the valve spring rates they are running so it will start spraying for musquitoes and the first time the engine starves for oil count on cyl 1 & 2 rod bearing along with the first main to go squeak and then its over. (they joy of having the oil pump attached to the last main bearing cap. Dont lose sight that its still a GM product, Hand grenade with the pin already pulled.
They really must have an issue with blown motors huh? I was at a track event with some of my Vette buddies last summer when one guy blew up his Z06 from oil starvation. I've heard it's been an issue for Vettes due to the high g load they produce. The funny thing is this guy's the slowest in our group. He just likes cruising around on track but doesn't push too hard. I also ran into a guy with a TVS s/c'd Camaro last year that said he had just had his motor replaced by GM due to a failure (unrelated to the supercharger) Now both guys had their motors replaced by GM under warranty, but I didn't realize that they had a reputation for blowing up motors.
Old 1/22/12, 02:26 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
GM has had major valve train issues since they started with the cylinders on demand systems. Broken lifters and valves will snap off and fall into the cylinders also. Pushrods were working great until they had to worry about fuel economy. Really a weak design.
Old 1/22/12, 05:20 PM
GT Member

Gm has oiling problems period.........ever seen how oil has to return to the oil pan on a V-8 small block pushrod motor? It has to flood the last 3 vavle springs, fight gravity and go up hill to the opening in the head and fall into the lifter valley drip past the cam and lifters past the crank and then finally try and get to the oil pump pick up ......oh the pick up thats pressed into the pump that vibrates loose unles you tac weld it. If you know much about recipricating assemblies all that oil trying to get back to the pan is bouncing off the crank........slowing it and foaming the oil up. GM sux........take one apart........you'll see. Yep they make power no denying it........I'll take longevity everytime over borrowed time HP.

Last edited by BLAZN BOSS; 1/22/12 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Boss 302 vs Camaro ZL-1 in Motor Trend