Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss 302 vs Camaro ZL-1 in Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/12, 12:23 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Off topic, but does anyone know what it costs to replace the shocks on one of those cars when they wear out? Just curious about that, and if anyone has considered that maintenance cost when buying one.
The article mentioned 'metal' in the fluid in the shocks so they can control the fluid via electromagnetics. So the shocks and valving and fluid prob aren't way over the top. But the control unit, plus the return on investment = big $$.
Old 1/18/12, 12:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I would still rather have the laguna boss .... It has a forged engine ... Buy a $8k kenne bell supercharger (bringing it to the same price as the ZL1) and run the track at 750+hp and let's see how the ZL1 can try to keep up!!! Even with all the awesome tech that chevy is giving you Ford is still giving you more car for the money.
Old 1/18/12, 12:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy
2 seconds is an eternity.... Especially when the slower car has r comps. I wonder what the zl1 would run on the corsas. Then again the corsas are known to be crap after a day on the track, and they didn't mention the condition of the tires. Another variable to add to the mix ....

Btw I would have bought the zl1 if it were out at the time, I've got no shame or brand loyalty....

In fact I already have my eyes on the f30 m3
Yeah this is the key thing. They did a good job (IMO) in keeping as much as possible the same: the course, they day, the driver, etc. The Camaro simply pounded the Boss. 2 seconds is a decent beating at a road course. I agree with you though... All these comparisons would be infinitely better if they outfit the cars with the same rubber. The meats on the Camaro are quite a bit better than the Boss. So I would love to see the track times of the Camaro if it had the same size and tires as the Boss.

That two seconds would collapse down a bit I think.
Old 1/18/12, 12:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Krnnerdboy
Speaking of which, if the boss puts out similar times as the c6, then the zl1 should be quicker than the vette... Do we have any time comparisons on this track?
I've handily outrun C6 Grand Sports in the Boss let alone a standard C6, but as I mentioned above I run about 2 seconds slower than a Z06 that's driven well. I'm really curious to hear what GM has to say about the ZL1 versus their own flagship Corvette lineup. Based on this test it would lay waste to the C6 and Grand Sport and be comparable to the Z06. I'm having a hard time comprehending that with the almost 1000 lb. weight difference between the Z06 and ZL1 no matter how "magical" this new suspension setup might be. I guess we'll know more when they start showing up at the track this summer.
Old 1/18/12, 04:27 PM
Cobra R Member

The Boss is more "raw" and the ZL1 is more "refined". I'm much more interested in driving a car that has that raw feel to it, that's what provides a really enjoyable driving experience.
I don't care how much the ZL1 beat the Boss by, I love my car!
Old 1/18/12, 04:32 PM
Cobra Member

two second sis a lot of time on a track, but lets be honest can anyone here say after all the talk we have had on tires that the choices Ford made on the Boss 302 are the best? I think a swap to r-comps with more grip and the time difference is gone. we also know suspension changes can make a huge difference. i think the reality is that these two cars will be a drivers race on many tracks. i like what GM is doing though, iv'e got not hate for the ZL1 it's a cool car. i do think a lot of ZL1 drivers will turn up at the track scoffing at the Boss drivers and find out quickly they aren't as high up the food chain as they think.
Old 1/18/12, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
I've handily outrun C6 Grand Sports in the Boss let alone a standard C6, but as I mentioned above I run about 2 seconds slower than a Z06 that's driven well. I'm really curious to hear what GM has to say about the ZL1 versus their own flagship Corvette lineup. Based on this test it would lay waste to the C6 and Grand Sport and be comparable to the Z06. I'm having a hard time comprehending that with the almost 1000 lb. weight difference between the Z06 and ZL1 no matter how "magical" this new suspension setup might be. I guess we'll know more when they start showing up at the track this summer.
Exactly! I find it very hard to believe that they would beat their own flagship with a car in the same price range, and even so how would they do that with an extra 1k lbs.... Can't wait until they start posting up more times on the zl1 at different tracks, namely streets of willow

One thing for sure is that the boss doesn't give up as much as I thought in the straight line
Old 1/18/12, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GT1000
Ok I would still rather have the laguna boss .... It has a forged engine ... Buy a $8k kenne bell supercharger (bringing it to the same price as the ZL1) and run the track at 750+hp and let's see how the ZL1 can try to keep up!!! Even with all the awesome tech that chevy is giving you Ford is still giving you more car for the money.

Oh god, not the "well if it had THIS" and "if it had THAT" crap.... It got beat. That's that. Run what ya Brung.

Let's not go to the Camaro5.com level people, even if it's in a different class, a loss is a loss, stop making excuses on why it lost or how you can modify the Boss to beat the ZL1. Give credit where it's due. Bad *** car. Hat's off to GM to getting the heavy Camaro to handle a road course with stride. I hope the GT500 can hold up to the hype and I'm very excited to see the GT500 and ZL1 comparo.

Last edited by smbstyle; 1/18/12 at 04:45 PM.
Old 1/18/12, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smbstyle

Oh god, not the "well if it had THIS" and "if it had THAT" crap.... It got beat. That's that. Run what ya Brung.

Let's not go to the Camaro5.com level people, even if it's in a different class, a loss is a loss, stop making excuses on why it lost or how you can modify the Boss to beat the ZL1. Give credit where it's due. Bad *** car. Hat's off to GM to getting the heavy Camaro to handle a road course with stride. I hope the GT500 can hold up to the hype and I'm very excited to see the GT500 and ZL1 comparo.
:dumbpost:
Old 1/18/12, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
:dumbpost:
correct, your post was very dumb.
Old 1/18/12, 05:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Soooo.. what would you have said if they put a GT500 against a Camaro SS with handling package?? Would that still have been a fair compare?
Old 1/18/12, 05:50 PM
GT Member

The stock to stock test is great and stock for stock the More expensive ZL1 is better but no one who goes to the track regularly keeps Thier car completely stock ... I was showing that although the ZL1 strength is in its awesome suspension ... The strength in the Boss is the engine and it's almost pullet proof strength. Is you bring it up to equal money spent by adding a ford racing supercharger the boss is actually a better performer. A better bang for your buck. Nothing against the camaro I actually really like it.
Old 1/18/12, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Soooo.. what would you have said if they put a GT500 against a Camaro SS with handling package?? Would that still have been a fair compare?
Who cares, it's not like it's a Ferrari vs. a Focus. It's a $8k difference in price. Would you say that the Boss 302 and M3 comparison isn't "fair' because of the price difference? Granted the ZL1 target market is the Shelby GT500 owners, I still think it's fair to consider some people may be considering both the ZL1 and the Laguna Seca.

I'd rather read reviews on the underdog losing than minivan shootouts or what the best hybrid is. I'd say "I figured that" if the GT500 won. I also think the majority school of thought on the Camaro in general, from prior tests by the magazines, is that it can't handle a road course well, so I can honestly say that I was suprised that it won out not on lap time, but driver experience over the LS, which is supposed to be the top of the line road-course pony car.

Last edited by smbstyle; 1/18/12 at 06:34 PM.
Old 1/18/12, 06:36 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I'm not stating anything new, just my opinions...
* ZL1 costs about 17% MORE than the Boss 302 - not a fair comparison.
* Boss 302 being under-tired can be remedied very easily by owner.
* ZL1 still looks ugly, with a crap interior, and bad outward visibility.
* Boss 302 looks lean and mean, and always turns heads, with great colors.
* Boss fuel economy is 15-30% better than ZL1 (not huge for this crowd, I know).
* ZL1 still has a useless trunk, Boss 302 can hold 3 sets of golf clubs easily.
* Skip Laguna Seca option, save $5k, still kick ***, buy great weels and tires.
* Does anyone over the age of 12 really look at a Camaro and say, 'wow', or 'cool', or 'I want one'?
* 2013 Shelby GT500 will come in around the same price as ZL1, will be a better comparison, for sure.
Old 1/18/12, 06:37 PM
GTR Member

This is a complete waste of an article IMO.

MT knew what the end result was going to be, and they knew what was in the works from SVT when they tested the cars. If the Boss beat the ZL1, I could see it being a worthwhile article. To call the techniques used for tuning and archaic, seems a bit moot. I don't really care how you get there, it's what it does on the track that counts. I hoped that given the price, power, and tech difference between the cars that the ZL1 would win. At only two seconds, the Boss seems to have held its own in there.

To quote my post on a local car forum:
The $14k price differential and 136 hp differential is so favorable to the GM side you'd have to be Richard Bernstein to not notice.
If you don't know who that is, look it up.
Old 1/18/12, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GT1000
The stock to stock test is great and stock for stock the More expensive ZL1 is better but no one who goes to the track regularly keeps Thier car completely stock ... I was showing that although the ZL1 strength is in its awesome suspension ... The strength in the Boss is the engine and it's almost pullet proof strength. Is you bring it up to equal money spent by adding a ford racing supercharger the boss is actually a better performer. A better bang for your buck. Nothing against the camaro I actually really like it.
Okay, I see where you are coming from. Yeah, you definitely have a point, if someone shopping those two cars could take the $8k they save and put it into the LS. IMO I'd take that money you'd spend on a blower and pick up a set of Motons or heavily worked Penskes to "even" the fight.
Old 1/18/12, 08:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Whammer
The Boss is more "raw" and the ZL1 is more "refined". I'm much more interested in driving a car that has that raw feel to it, that's what provides a really enjoyable driving experience.
I don't care how much the ZL1 beat the Boss by, I love my car!
You do have a point. I've read a few GT-R reviews that say while it's a fast car and all, it's kind of boring to drive because so much of the heavy lifting is done by the car.
Old 1/18/12, 08:48 PM
BOSS Member

Seriously, is nobody looking at the whole picture here? The Camaro beat the Boss using each of their best ONE lap on ONE track. The Boss lives to run on a road course, ALL DAY LONG. Put them in an entire race and the results might be a little different. Maybe the ZL1 will handily beat the Boss and Shelby on all the tracks they run at, just don't get all your panties wound up over ONE win.

Did anyone else notice that Automobile magazine got a 12.6 out of the ZL1?
Old 1/18/12, 09:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

My panties aren't in a wad. I just don't understand where some seem to think this was an apples to apples comparison. I'm not talking about an $8k difference in price. Everyone knows the ZL1 competition is the GT500, not the Boss. Everything you read about the ZL1 from day one was that it was gonna be the GT500 killer. To the point others have made, it was a one lap run. Lets run 10 laps and then see what happens. Not to prove that the ZL1 was supposed to compete against the Boss, but to show how well the Boss holds it's ground on a car with more HP and Torq.
Old 1/19/12, 05:24 AM
Cobra R Member

I feel for the poor M3 owners.

Quick Reply: Boss 302 vs Camaro ZL-1 in Motor Trend