2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss 302 vs Camaro ZL-1 in Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/12, 06:59 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
Before everyone gets too excited over this minor win lets look at some facts.
With 136 more HP, and 176 more TQ it better put up some pretty good track times especially with wider tires and fancy shocks. But with 176LBS of torque MORE that's the best it could do?? Great job GM, you successfully beat a car with 76 less CI and N/A that cost's 7K more, just barely. But the win was from the two fastest laps on ONE track by ONE driver. How will that blown pig fare after a real road race where the Boss loves to run? Cause we all know how well blowers love heat. You can get a couple of good first laps out if it, but what happens after 10+ laps in normal summer temps?

Put the ZO6's 427 in a Camaro and see if it can beat a Boss on the track, I'll call the weight penalty vs more power a draw. If it can do that I'll be impressed an give it high praise.
But you're missing something important that has been observed multiple times already on Camaro5. The LS has an "illegal front splitter" no rear seat, R compound tires, and the illegal for street Trackey. I think someone also mentioned that the Camaro has a better warranty as well.
Old 1/17/12, 07:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
My post from another forum....

Personally, I hope I get to see a ZL1 at the track. I'm very much looking forward to the challenge. I see the Camaro runs the same width tires as I do on track. I'm pretty sure the 400 lb weight savings on similar tires will offset the extra 150 hp it has for the first lap or two......until it starts pulling timing from the blower, then it's game on
Allow me to follow this post with my post from another forum....

...the driver is the key, and I can't wait to shame some inept ZL1 owners on-track in my poor little BOSS 302.
Old 1/17/12, 07:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is the configuration I'm guessing they ran, cutting out the two red circled areas and taking the straight bypasses.

I would love to see some in-car video of their laps to be certain, and also to pick up some Pobst Secrets!

Name:  OIcac.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  132.0 KB
Old 1/17/12, 07:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

The ZL1 achieved 1.0 g, the LS achieved 1.01 g on the track. If the driver wasnt so afraid to run up on the curbs with the LS, the LS would have run closer to the ZL1. I want a braver driver in the LS.
Old 1/17/12, 07:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
My post from another forum....

Personally, I hope I get to see a ZL1 at the track. I'm very much looking forward to the challenge. I see the Camaro runs the same width tires as I do on track. I'm pretty sure the 400 lb weight savings on similar tires will offset the extra 150 hp it has for the first lap or two......until it starts pulling timing from the blower, then it's game on
I'm with you, man. More competition = more innovation and more fun.

This is like anything else, TVs, computers, smart phones... faster and more powerful with every new model. The race is on!

I would say that I always thought of MT to be a bigger fan of the Euro cars, then Chevy, then Ford, certainly not Ford biased - ever. It's been driving me crazy for years.
Old 1/18/12, 02:07 AM
Bullitt Member

I love my LS. No questions about it. However I can appreciate other cars and brands. That being said the new suspension Chevy has on it's Vettes, the CTS-V, and now Camaro is no joke. Yes those cars have big motors and are powerful. But that magnetorheological suspension is amazing. It is so good Ferrari now has something similar they run on their cars.....
Old 1/18/12, 02:11 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by adam81
I love my LS. No questions about it. However I can appreciate other cars and brands. That being said the new suspension Chevy has on it's Vettes, the CTS-V, and now Camaro is no joke. Yes those cars have big motors and are powerful. But that magnetorheological suspension is amazing. It is so good Ferrari now has something similar they run on their cars.....
Off topic, but does anyone know what it costs to replace the shocks on one of those cars when they wear out? Just curious about that, and if anyone has considered that maintenance cost when buying one.
Old 1/18/12, 03:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think it would have changed the outcome of the article that much if any, but ...

The suspension setting was set incorrectly for the LS. The article states that the shocks/struts were set at "5 at all four corners". Track prep for the LS has the rear shocks set at 3 or 4 depending on the track. This is probably why the car wasn't as settled as it should have been.
Old 1/18/12, 04:43 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
The ZL1 achieved 1.0 g, the LS achieved 1.01 g on the track. If the driver wasnt so afraid to run up on the curbs with the LS, the LS would have run closer to the ZL1. I want a braver driver in the LS.
Old 1/18/12, 06:40 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't think the win for the ZL1 comes as any big surprise. I'm happy that the Boss performed as well as it did against a car with far more HP and TQ.
I knew the ZL1 was going to be a very solid performer and would be a pretty impressive car. But the real battle is still looming.

I guess you could say the Boss was just a tune up fight for the ZL1, but it's real challenge is with the '13 GT500. Does the GT500 send the ZL1 running away with it's tail between it's legs? We'll know the answer to that question in a couple of months.
Old 1/18/12, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
Such a small difference is negligible and to think that such a small difference in measurable grip is going to translate to a noticeable difference in track times is ridiculous. Pobst is one of the most accomplished drivers in the world and to think that a "braver" driver would have somehow managed to get more out of the Boss is nothing more than blind brand loyalty.

Nobody on this forum could get within seconds of the times he's posting in either of these cars.

Originally Posted by Dig-It Racing
I don't think it would have changed the outcome of the article that much if any, but ...

The suspension setting was set incorrectly for the LS. The article states that the shocks/struts were set at "5 at all four corners". Track prep for the LS has the rear shocks set at 3 or 4 depending on the track. This is probably why the car wasn't as settled as it should have been.
That's going to make a marginal effect on overall handling and performance if any at all.

Last edited by MrBonus; 1/18/12 at 06:53 AM.
Old 1/18/12, 07:23 AM
Bullitt Member

It is so good Ferrari now has something similar they run on their cars.....
Yes, they licensed it from GM.
Old 1/18/12, 07:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Afdharley
Didn't mention the trackey, or did I miss it?

70 more cubic inches, 140 more hp and a supercharger and it was only 2 seconds! For $15k more!
2 seconds is a pretty big deal on the track. It's $8k more than a LS Boss.

I have a feeling the 2013 GT500 will be faster around the track but the ZL1 with it's suspension will be better composed.

Last edited by bpmurr; 1/18/12 at 07:39 AM.
Old 1/18/12, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
2 seconds is a pretty big deal on the track. It's $8k more than a LS Boss.
That's the difference I run from my buddies in their modded Z06s (500 rwhp, coilovers and bigger tires) on both power tracks like BIR and technical tracks like MAM or MPH. I'm surprised the Camaro can run with a Z06 since it's almost 1,000 lbs heavier. Something doesn't sound right.
Old 1/18/12, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

2 seconds is an eternity.... Especially when the slower car has r comps. I wonder what the zl1 would run on the corsas. Then again the corsas are known to be crap after a day on the track, and they didn't mention the condition of the tires. Another variable to add to the mix ....

Btw I would have bought the zl1 if it were out at the time, I've got no shame or brand loyalty....

In fact I already have my eyes on the f30 m3
Old 1/18/12, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I think the subjective commentary is as important as the objective stuff...and they were impressed with the zl1, so hat's off to gm...because I do think it will make Ford work harder on the stang and because it improves the 'cred of american muscle in general.

re: R compounds and all the objective timing stuff...remember that the 'regular' boss, run by MT, ran faster than Rnady ran the LS at LS in the bet driver's car shootout.
Old 1/18/12, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fuhrius
I think the subjective commentary is as important as the objective stuff...and they were impressed with the zl1, so hat's off to gm...because I do think it will make Ford work harder on the stang and because it improves the 'cred of american muscle in general.

re: R compounds and all the objective timing stuff...remember that the 'regular' boss, run by MT, ran faster than Rnady ran the LS at LS in the bet driver's car shootout.
Different day, different conditions. You can't really compare lap times without some measure of controls in place.
Old 1/18/12, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Speaking of which, if the boss puts out similar times as the c6, then the zl1 should be quicker than the vette... Do we have any time comparisons on this track?
Old 1/18/12, 10:29 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Said this in the other thread.
Interesting that they didn't put the 2012 GT500 up against it.

Was it that they really wanted to put 'built for track' cars on the track...or....
Even before the 5.8 came out, they didn't want to show how close the cars are (if they are) and hurt the already deflated view on the ZL1 once the 650 comes out.

Can you imagine if the ZL1 was pitted against it in the article, lost...and thats even before the new car comes out?
I would be VERY curious if they had one there and tested it...
Old 1/18/12, 11:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

I appreciate that Motor Trend compared the ZL1 to the Boss 302 LS. I am sure alot of Boss 302 LS owners are wondering how their Boss 302 LS stacks up against the ZL1. The ZL1 will be considered a track car so it is only naturual to compare the leader of track cars to it. However, knowing the main focus of the article was the new ZL1, I am sure the driver left a little on the table for the LS. Does anyone really think the driver would try and embarass the theme of the article ?

Quick Reply: Boss 302 vs Camaro ZL-1 in Motor Trend