Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss 302 vs Camaro ZL-1 in Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/12, 08:31 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1trickpony
You might as well compare a GT to a Camaro V6. I'm not surprised at the outcome except the ZL1 is slower in the quarter mile than I expected. The only thing I question, is Motortend on the take? Everybody loved the Boss when it first came out and now its constantly talking to you like your girlfriend (I took that as a negative)? It seems like the MT slammed the Boss on every subjective point. I smell advertising money at work.
Funny the members on Camaro5 said the same thing about MT being in love with Ford and hating GM.
Old 1/20/12, 08:33 AM
V6 Member

The Boss is yesterdays number one, the new ZL1 is today's news. Nature of the beast. I love the back and forth, I hope they keep going after each other. I just wish Mopar would up their game and try to take on Ford and Chevy a bit more. All of them get better because of each other...I love the new muscle war myself, almost like the "old days" and maybe better?

I can't wait to see the new GT500 numbers, I can't wait for the new 'stang and how Chevy will react, and I am really curious about this "cuda" talk that is going on.

Props to the Chevy, and it is my least favorite of the three. I like the 'stangs and Challengers the most myself.
Old 1/20/12, 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Funny the members on Camaro5 said the same thing about MT being in love with Ford and hating GM.
Just go back and read MT's article about the Boss and read what they are writing now. Its amazing how quick a car can turn into a dog overnight. As far as the Camaro 5 crowd, most of the posts over there are idiotic but I'm sure Ford has payed off magazines as well.
Old 1/20/12, 10:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to see DFV point out that the ZL1 was a Preproduction ZL1 that was compared to a Production Boss 302 LS. Since there is no production ZL1 to compare the preproduction ZL1 to, who is to know what enhancements and tweaks were made to the Preproduction ZL1 for this test. The camber could have been optimized at all four corners of the ZL1. What about missing sound deading material or other missing items to trim weight ? Some were claiming a win for the ZL1, but all this test does is show the ZL1 has some promise as a track car. That is all one can deduce from the article.

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 1/20/12 at 10:32 AM.
Old 1/20/12, 10:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The theme of the MT article was the sophisticated electronic magnetic controlled shocks of the ZL1. I am sure most race car drivers are aware of the shock system on the ZL1 and its IRS. It would be hard for a racer to go into the test without a preconceived idea that the ZL 1 is going to be more complient and possibly forgiving because of the magnetic system and IRS. I am sure MT does not pay a racer such as Randy Pobst enough to make him push each car to the limit. Since he felt more comfotable with the ZL1 he could choose a better line to get quicker times with the ZL1 whereas he ran a more compromised line for the Boss LS by not running over the curbs. He would most likely have to pinch the front end of the Boss LS to get thru the corners and cover more distance thru the turns and loose fractions of a second more thru the corners. Fractions of seconds lost at each corner are seconds lost per lap.

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 1/20/12 at 10:54 AM.
Old 1/20/12, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just wanted to remind everyone of this priceless Jalopnik post.

Syndicate

By Raphael Orlove

The Ten Most Stereotypical Questions Of Forum Fanboys

The car forum can be a safe haven for sharing helpful advice about automobiles or it can be a place for newbs to dwell and repeat the same inquires ad nauseam. According to Jalopnik readers, here are the ten most common questions you should find at these sanctuaries of enlightened discourse, broken down by type.
Welcome back to Answers of the Day — our daily Jalopnik feature where we take the best ten responses from the previous day's Question of the Day and shine it up to show off. It's by you and for you, the Jalopnik readers. Enjoy!
Photo Credit: Camilo Torres/Shutterstock

9.) Mustang/Camaro
Suggested By: BrtStlnd
What to expect: How is it possible that the Mustang is so ****ing awesome in every way and the Camaro is such an utter piece of ****? (For Camaro forums, just switch the names. This works for Evo and STI forums as well.)
Photo Credit: Paulo Keller
Old 1/20/12, 11:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 1trickpony
Just go back and read MT's article about the Boss and read what they are writing now. Its amazing how quick a car can turn into a dog overnight. As far as the Camaro 5 crowd, most of the posts over there are idiotic but I'm sure Ford has payed off magazines as well.

I don't think they are calling it a dog. Randy said it was his favorite car until the ZL1, now it's his favorite.
This is really a battle between raw muscle and sophisticated performance.
I believe in past tests (of various cars ) Randy mentioned how dated a stick shift feels. That CVS transmissions just perform better.

"Old school" feels better and is more satisfying to drive but technology is rapidly making it obsolete.
Good for GM for building a solid performer but I would never trade my Boss 302 LS for one.
Old 1/20/12, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I the only taxpayer happy to see that the ZL1 won the battle?
Old 1/20/12, 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by askjeffro
Am I the only taxpayer happy to see that the ZL1 won the battle?
I'm confused how do you say "taxpayer and happy" in the same sentence. And your on a mustang forum praising a GM product. This should be good. Hold on I'm going to get my popcorn and soda
Old 1/20/12, 12:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
I'm confused how do you say "taxpayer and happy" in the same sentence. And your on a mustang forum praising a GM product. This should be good. Hold on I'm going to get my popcorn and soda
I think he was being sarcastic.
Old 1/20/12, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
Sorry to disappoint you, but 5 Dot 0 is correct in my intention to deceive. While not sarcastic per say, I am alluding to the fact that since I was forced to help bailout years and years of bad GM product and management, I'm grateful that the product they were working on with my money actually turned out better than their usual crud.

So, please put the fireworks and popcorn away.
Old 1/20/12, 12:45 PM
Cobra Member

Sorry to disappoint you, but 5 Dot 0 is correct in my intention to deceive. While not sarcastic per say, I am alluding to the fact that since I was forced to help bailout years and years of bad GM product and management, I'm grateful that the product they were working on with my money actually turned out better than their usual crud.

At least our money wasn't wasted, good point. I'm keeping my popcorn out
Old 1/20/12, 12:53 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
It is my understanding (I could be wrong), that both GM and Chrysler (with Fiat) have paid back much, if not all, of their government loans. While Ford did not use any government bailout money, they did use 'bridge' type loan, privately. While a scary situation to be in for our great nation, I do beleive this was the right decision for us to have made. We saved literally millions of jobs, and now the Big 3 are strong, and producing some great products. Go U.S.A.!
Old 1/20/12, 01:42 PM
Cobra Member

Oh yeah I bet all the people that lost money on the original GM stock feel the same. And the loans paid back? The government bought how many shares of GM? they sold some already at a loss and are holding the rest so they don't take more of a loss. I think they made bad financial decisions and should have been left to fall. Another auto manufacture would have picked up the pieces. We see companies fall all the time. A new one will always take it's place.
Old 1/20/12, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Guys, my comment was meant solely as a jab to GM fanboys over the ZL1 win, I'm not attempting to open a can of worms here.

I'm happy to debate the merits of the bailouts and am actually uniquely familiar with how it continues to play out in terms of impact on all the parties in the automotive industry. But lets not hijack this thread with this topic. It was a joke meant to lesson the significance of the ZL1 win, that is all... I've certainly learned a lesson.
Old 1/20/12, 02:35 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
OK, let's not get political, you're right, Jeff. Although I do have more to say!!! But I'll keep my big fat mouth shut.
Old 1/20/12, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
OK, let's not get political, you're right, Jeff. Although I do have more to say!!! But I'll keep my big fat mouth shut.
Share away here:
https://themustangsource.com/f781/

Old 1/20/12, 03:23 PM
APW

Originally Posted by smbstyle
Since were on the topic of Pobst... pretty cool video and view from his S60R WC race car... holy launch control batman!

and going into the turns, you can hear him let off and that blow off valve sounds like a rocket launcher.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QklZ9V0QipE
Wow. Awesome video. Mesmerizing.
Old 1/20/12, 03:34 PM
APW

Agree. I just read that GM is the worlds number one auto manufacturer this year. This Ford / Chevy competition is good for our nation, good for our workers, and good for the evolution of our sweet rides!
Old 1/20/12, 03:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
It is my understanding (I could be wrong), that both GM and Chrysler (with Fiat) have paid back much, if not all, of their government loans. While Ford did not use any government bailout money, they did use 'bridge' type loan, privately. While a scary situation to be in for our great nation, I do beleive this was the right decision for us to have made. We saved literally millions of jobs, and now the Big 3 are strong, and producing some great products. Go U.S.A.!
You might want to check your sources if you think GM has paid back that loan. A loan is something you pay back, gm still owes money despite their lying commercial and the government actually took a 14 billion dollar loss on the deal. plus all the stock holders they screwed over.

Quick Reply: Boss 302 vs Camaro ZL-1 in Motor Trend