2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

leaks

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/10, 03:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
I don't think Ford has the resources for both a notch and a hatch. Plus, I don't see a market for it. Waste of money IMO.

Same with a Lincoln Coupe. As nice as it sounds, Ford will lose money. There isn't a market for it. Let Europe and GM build those types of cars.

When the company and the economy are in better shape, then fool around and make a car like that.
Mustang is somewhat now and will moreso in the future become a separate brand within a brand...
notice since 2005 the only Ford logo on the car has been on some wheels,
not unlike Corvette and soon to be Prius offsprings... the majority of it's lifespan has consisted as three body styles...Ford had the resources in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's...what says they don't have those same resources today and tomorrow?
Old 10/15/10, 05:16 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
5. The F-150 will not have the 5.0 instead it will have a 6.2 designed for the trucks. If Ford is putting a 5.0 in the F150 it is opposite of everything I have seen. I heard Ecoboost and the 6.2
The 2011 Ford F-150 will, in fact, feature a 360-horsepower / 380 lb-ft torque version of the Mustang's TiVCT 5.0L 4V V8.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/2011/
Old 10/15/10, 05:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
The 2011 Ford F-150 will, in fact, feature a 360-horsepower / 380 lb-ft torque version of the Mustang's TiVCT 5.0L 4V V8.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/2011/

I stand corrected, kind of bizarre though. Does the F-150 really need 4 engine choices?
Old 10/15/10, 05:59 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I stand corrected, kind of bizarre though. Does the F-150 really need 4 engine choices?
Yes.
The 5L is the standard V8

Its there for the people that don't want, or can't get the 6.2 option,
or don't want the TT-V6, or trust it yet.

Critics would BLAST Ford for not offering an entry level V8
Old 10/15/10, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Topnotch
Mustang is somewhat now and will moreso in the future become a separate brand within a brand...
notice since 2005 the only Ford logo on the car has been on some wheels
I hope not in the same sense that Ram just became its own brand, separate of Dodge.
Old 10/15/10, 09:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Topnotch
notice since 2005 the only Ford logo on the car has been on some wheels,
not unlike Corvette and soon to be Prius offsprings... the majority of it's lifespan has consisted as three body styles...Ford had the resources in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's...what says they don't have those same resources today and tomorrow?
I don't think its a question of having the resources, its a question of whether the extra development and logistics costs are worth it to Ford's bottom line compared to other places they could be spending that money. Are there sales Ford is leaving on the table because of 2 roof options as opposed to 3, enough sales to justify the money?
Old 10/15/10, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
I don't think its a question of having the resources, its a question of whether the extra development and logistics costs are worth it to Ford's bottom line compared to other places they could be spending that money. Are there sales Ford is leaving on the table because of 2 roof options as opposed to 3, enough sales to justify the money?
I'm not sure, but I hope so. I would love to see three body styles again.

With the compact/hatchback segment getting stronger by the minute I would think it would be a great chance for the Mustang to capture parts of this market.

Look at the Fox era. The 4cyl LX hatch was a great alternative for those who wanted a cheap and useful car without having to drive around in a Golf or Civic. I could see this also being the case with a smaller EB 4 powered hatch/fastback.

I guess the next question would be, would it canabalize too many sales from the Focus and Fiesta for it to be considered? Who knows, but I would still love to see it.
Old 10/18/10, 09:27 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmm......

Old 10/18/10, 10:02 AM
MOTM Committee Member

^^^ If that is the coupe/notch I will definitely be getting the hatch :P
Old 10/18/10, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

not feeling it
Old 10/18/10, 11:40 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Hmmm......

Sorry, man, but I really think that look's time has been here and gone. If someone wants to argue they'll add a fast/hatch to the current line-up, I might buy that. Might not even take that much engineering. But I can't see the notch coming back.
Old 10/18/10, 11:45 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If it was a folding hardtop convertible, it might work..........but I'd still buy a fastback version over it anyday
Old 10/18/10, 12:00 PM

Old 10/18/10, 12:15 PM

Yeah, sorry to add to the hating, but no. I'd like a fastback... the current model almost is one anyway.

It's a good photoshop job though.
Old 10/18/10, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
I agree, take things with a grain of salt this early on.
Ford has finally learned from it's mistakes. The new design will be more modern, but will retain the classic stance that was lost in the mid 70s. The Mustang will continue to evolve in a similar manner to the Corvette; as opposed to the polarizing stylistic changes that are so commonly associated with most American cars.

just a rumor...

Expect the next Mustang to be smaller, while retaining the same proportions as the current model, albeit wider. The backseat will be nothing more than a novelty (possibly optional) due to the slightly shorter wheelbase. Expect even more voluptuous fender flares with even harder crowns on key character lines. The front fascia will sport a soft point topside with headlights that are almost invisibly blended with the grill kind of like a modern hodge-podge between a '69 gt500 and the current model, but with far better flow. The actual lamps will be flanked with functional brake ducting vents which almost seem as if they were licensed from cervinis... err the 1970 Mustang. No trapezoids, instead non-symmetrical pentagons bottomside. Rear hips are far more defined laterally. Side scoops return, however in completely different configuration than current. Hatch is also back, but don't worry, it's way more 60s than 80s... still though it has it's own modern spin to it. Rear headlights are still angled, but slightly recessed to appease both lovers and critics of the current design. Full under-tray is standard, with a (REAL) rear diffuser on the GT. Base engine is now EB I-4. 5.0 returns with 15% more power, and variable displacement tech. GT500 is nixed... err replaced. Practically all accessories are driven electrically...

Weight savings expected to be as much as 15%, no less than 10%...
I really like everything in this description, and I want to make a few sketches based on the details here. 15% more hp in a 15% lighter/smaller package gives us roughly a 475hp beast in the SN95 weight class. That'd be potent for sure.

BUT... do you guys really think the next Mustang will be all that much smaller considering the Mustang and Australian Falcon could be sharing the same platform in the future? I can't see them putting a 4 door sedan on a platform that's going to give the Mustang just a "novelty" backseat. Just my $.02.
I posted this quote on another forum and the info was passed to a "friend of a friend" who is or has contacts within the Blue Oval, so take it for what it's worth, but here's his response, which is interesting...

What you posted there has mixed info and speculation. There is no contract between Shelby and Ford for a GT500 beyond 2013, that's true. But there COULD be another "Mustang Cobra"
They are looking at going to the FPV (Aussie Ford) offerings with subtle changes and they are looking at redesigns on the S197 platform where the body's shorter by 5-7 inches. They are also up in the air on the CAFE standards being proposed. Nothing's really set yet because there's too much uncertainty. We'll know more by the Detroit Auto Show.
-------------------------

http://www.fpv.com.au/
They have been getting a LOT more performance than we have for a long time.
You guys can forget the "retro" thing, it's done after 2013. If you can believe it, they have been discussing a design akin to the old fox body cars... Seriously...
The S197 is simply to big and heavy to be able to meet the CAFE standards that are coming down the pipe.
Old 10/18/10, 02:46 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Old 10/18/10, 04:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by black_bullitt
I posted this quote on another forum and the info was passed to a "friend of a friend" who is or has contacts within the Blue Oval, so take it for what it's worth, but here's his response, which is interesting...
Understandable. Even if it is just through the grapevine. I would not necessarily support a Fox body redux. Though I get the point with the CAFE standards. Though I am unsettled by the "you can forget the retro". Like I said, through the grapevine. Though if true, it'd better be a helluva design. I never said toss the retro all together, I just said that it's time to move more forward and out of the 05-09 generation. The 10+ has been retro fueled by modern cues. I appreciate that. Now it's time to take it further. Detroit seems logical to let a few more details slip.
Old 10/18/10, 05:34 PM
Cobra Member

I think it'd be an enormous mistake to eschew the "retro" theme. To me, the so called "retro look" is simply what a Mustang should look like and that DNA should remain on all future Mustangs. While I respect the ethos behind the Fox body (small, nimble car, coupled with a potent V8 in the case of the GT and LX), I think they are incredibly generic and boring looking. Frankly, they are pretty ugly and have not aged well, no offense to Fox-body Mustang fans.
Old 10/18/10, 11:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The FPV cars are ugly, like evolutions of the lame, aero-round 1990s designs, and underpowered for their weight. I hope that's not their plan for a blueprint.
Old 10/18/10, 11:46 PM
Bullitt Member

So here it is guys, I found an early rendering of the 2014 mustang! It definitely has some Fox body influences while still retaining some the s197's retro Q's

leaks-fox197.jpg

Quick Reply: leaks