2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

leaks

Search this Thread

Old 8/21/10, 03:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, if i'm still alive and well when the new 'Stang redesign comes out, i'll probably be selling this one. We live once right ! But we've got a long way to go, wait is gonna be long.
Old 8/22/10, 03:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Topnotch
2014: 540hp Ecoboost 5.0 SE
440hp BOSS motor for base GT
360hp EcoBoost 3.7 V6
290hp Ecoboost 2.0 4cyl (SVO)

Lincoln will get a coupe built on the same platform for long term cost saving (GM will build the Camaro and CTS on the same platform/Dodge builds the 300/Charger/Challenger on the same tweaked chassis)Materials will become more upscale
in the use of alcantara/cloth/leather. Brembos/Recaros become standard GT items. In the
mean time look for leather Recaros on the GT500 and 2013 brings BOSS 302 with 1970 style stripe
and one heritage color (Supposedly Grabber Green but could by Lime).
Seems reasonable to me, but I would think that the top model would get at least a bit of a power bump between now and then, especially with the Z28 coming. I know it should be losing some weight, but still.

Also, as fun as a new SVO could be, I just don't really see the need for it with the base engine putting out similar numbers and already getting good mileage.

I also think the 2.0 EB would be way more fun in the Fiesta or Focus than a Mustang.

I would love to see grabber green come back though. Maybe someone could do a photoshop of the current Boss in GG???
Old 8/23/10, 07:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Clino
Also, as fun as a new SVO could be, I just don't really see the need for it with the base engine putting out similar numbers and already getting good mileage.

I also think the 2.0 EB would be way more fun in the Fiesta or Focus than a Mustang.
The reason for an EB 4 banger is because the EB V6 is going to be near $30k. Ford doesn't want to lose 50% of their Mustang buyers. The EB 4 will most likely be in the $22k-$25k range.
Old 8/23/10, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by John H
Honestly, is this how spoiled people are getting with the recent Mustang powerplants?

Do people realize how much horsepower that is: 540?! If I were a Ford person reading quotes like this, it would make me wonder what I'd have to do to satisfy people. By 2020 people are going to be complaining that the top of the line Mustang won't have 750HP, the GT won't have 600HP and the "lowly" base model won't have 425HP. This is getting a little ridiculous in what people expect in terms of power in their cars. Remember folks, as awesome as the Mustang is, it's not a supercar.

[/END RANT]
John H: Give us time.
Old 8/23/10, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

2014: 540hp Ecoboost 5.0 SE
440hp BOSS motor for base GT
360hp EcoBoost 3.7 V6
290hp Ecoboost 2.0 4cyl (SVO)

Lincoln will get a coupe built on the same platform for long term cost saving (GM will build the Camaro and CTS on the same platform/Dodge builds the 300/Charger/Challenger on the same tweaked chassis) Materials will become more upscale
in the use of alcantara/cloth/leather. Brembos/Recaros become standard GT items. In the
mean time look for leather Recaros on the GT500 and 2013 brings BOSS 302 with 1970 style stripe
and one heritage color (Supposedly Grabber Green but could by Lime).
Topnotch: Not good--then Ford will always deny the top engines/interiors/whatever to Mustangs so that they won't "exceed" what's being offered in the Lincolns (actually, this sorta may be happening right now so that the Mustang won't step on the GT500's/GT350's turf, so to speak). You can see how the Camaro and the Challenger truly reek from being on shortened versions of the obese platforms of the 300/Charger and the Zeta Blight respectively! Having to diddle with the uniquely Mustang platform to accommodate Lincoln's Leisure World needsis gonna suck outloud and off key, and I am being charitable...No one will buy a two-door Lincoln anyway.

I'd rather have all Lincolns discontinued entirely than to have "Lincoln concessions" screw up the Mustang in any way. And trust me, if Mustangs have to share their next platform with any Lincoln, there will be concessions...

Greg "This sucks the pus out of scabs" Ates

Last edited by Eights; 8/23/10 at 08:50 AM.
Old 8/23/10, 09:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Eights

Topnotch: Not good--then Ford will always deny the top engines/interiors/whatever to Mustangs so that they won't "exceed" what's being offered in the Lincolns (actually, this sorta may be happening right now so that the Mustang won't step on the GT500's/GT350's turf, so to speak). You can see how the Camaro and the Challenger truly reek from being on shortened versions of the obese platforms of the 300/Charger and the Zeta Blight respectively! Having to diddle with the uniquely Mustang platform to accommodate Lincoln's Leisure World needsis gonna suck outloud and off key, and I am being charitable...No one will buy a two-door Lincoln anyway.

I'd rather have all Lincolns discontinued entirely than to have "Lincoln concessions" screw up the Mustang in any way. And trust me, if Mustangs have to share their next platform with any Lincoln, there will be concessions...

Greg "This sucks the pus out of scabs" Ates
I used to want a Lincoln coupe, but you are right. There's no market for it.
I would rather see them build a SHO type Mustang. Something a little more sophisticated.

If they do make a Lincoln coupe, I think it needs to be a Ecoboost V6, AWD & IRS.

As for the Mustang becoming a Super Car? You can count me out! These cars are getting too expensive as it is. I can buy a small summer home for a price of a Shelby Vert! lol
Old 8/23/10, 09:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eights were the hell you been. Missed your bits of Mustang Wisdom! aka DarkCandy
Old 8/23/10, 09:36 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Topnotch: Not good--then Ford will always deny the top engines/interiors/whatever to Mustangs so that they won't "exceed" what's being offered in the Lincolns (actually, this sorta may be happening right now so that the Mustang won't step on the GT500's/GT350's turf, so to speak).
Firstly, the GT-500 is considered part of the Mustang's lineup, and the GT350 is not anything they worry about. The idea that they are at all hobbling any current model to not "step on GT500/GT350's turf" is ludicrous. The 2011 GT and BOSS 302 are simply incredible, among if not the best performing cars at their price point.

Secondly, the days of Ford holding back power so that Lincoln gets alittle extra are rapidly coming to an end. SHO already surpasses MKS EcoBoost numbers, and the 305-hp V6 is now a growing presence in Ford-branded engine bays. Lincoln will have better base engines than comparable Ford vehicles, but performance/sport editions of those Fords will get the good stuff. Lincoln will take itself up-market with better materials and luxury "goodies," which their higher transaction price will reflect.

As for platforms, the key is intelligent platform design/management. Hastily cutting down a platform designed for large sedans into a Ponycar is a dumb idea to begin with, but a pony-sized platform with some flexibility is a great idea. The original Mustang was, after all, built on the Falcon platform.
Old 8/23/10, 09:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Eights were the hell you been. Missed your bits of Mustang Wisdom! aka DarkCandy
RedCandy5.0: I been around--fairly quiet for me since I hugely approve of the 5.0L TiVCT V8 and 3.7L TiVCT V6! How you been?

I like the looks of the "regular" Boss 302 a whole bunch (esp. in Competition Orange with black trim!) but, like almost everyone else, I think the paint on the Boss 302 Laguna Seca is totally WTF? Paint 'em like the "regular" Boss 302s and move on, or at least remove all the red except for the "C" stripes on the side.

I'm not a fan of the "2+2" exhaust system--a lotta weight could be saved by takin' the Sawzall to the half of the exhaust that you don't want (I'm not really a fan of side-exiting exhaust--too much exhaust enters the car when you're at a traffic light with the windows down--so I'd keep the rear exhausts myself. Side exhausts smack of 'Fifties hot rods, when "lakes pipes" down each side of the car were the rage, and they smell of checkerboard mudflaps with reflectors--fit for a lowered Chevy but not fit for a real vehicle. 'KnowwhutImean?

And I'm glad Ford went with natural-aspiration like the originals, although I woulda preferred a duplicate of the FR500C's enormous intake manifold

Even so, I would prefer a Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition--but with the Boss 302 Laguna Seca's engine and the GT500's transmission! Hell no, I ain't hard to please!

I can't wait for the comparos--a "regular" Boss 302, a Boss 302 Laguna Seca, and a BMW M3 V8 going ***** to the walls at Laguna Seca. For kicks, throw in a 2011 Mustang V6 with all the perfiormance options from the factory--except that the V6 has been swapped out for the EcoBoost V6. There are some good times ahead! Camaros and Challengers can watch from the Putt-Putt miniature golf parking lot down the street...

The hidden issue here: Can Shelby American compete against the Boss 302 and the Laguna Seca?

(Submitting now to avoid *&%$#@ Time-Out!)

Last edited by Eights; 8/23/10 at 10:06 AM.
Old 8/23/10, 11:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
John H: Give us time.
"Us"? Please forgive my ignorance, but are you a part of the Mustang team in some way? Not trying to be a smarty pants. Just didn't know if you are or not.
Old 8/23/10, 12:23 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The hidden issue here: Can Shelby American compete against the Boss 302 and the Laguna Seca?
Y'know, I think history may repeat itself and Mr Shelby may part company with Ford sometime soon, just as he did in 1970. Maybe for different reasons this time arousnd, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's no Shelby's for the next-gen Mustangs. SVTs, Boss 302 and maybe even Mach1s will do nicely, thanks.

And I mean no disrepect to Mr Shelby, because I do appreciate the magic that he bought to the Mustang.

Old 8/23/10, 12:40 PM
Cobra Member

I was told by a Ford Rep a few years ago, that the Boss would replace the Shelby. Made sense at the time, because it was rumored that the Shelby was only going to be around for a couple of years.

I can see a "Big" Boss being made, but I don't see it as the top dog. The Boss doesn't come as a convertible, and the current Boss 302, lacks a lot of the bells & whistles that comes with the Shelby.

Hard to say what Ford will do. Maybe another SVT Cobra? Always loved the Mach1! Keep the Shelby name?
Old 8/24/10, 03:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GTJOHN
The reason for an EB 4 banger is because the EB V6 is going to be near $30k. Ford doesn't want to lose 50% of their Mustang buyers. The EB 4 will most likely be in the $22k-$25k range.
I'm not quite sure I follow. So are you thinking that the EB 2.0 will replace the current 3.7 as the base engine? I don't think that's going to happen. The 3.7 is a great engine, and already offers an amazing balance between performance and economy. I don't think Mustang buyers are THAT worried about a few more MPG at the expense of the performance difference between the two.

If they do offer the EB 2.0 in the Mustang (I still don't see the need) I think it will be an SVO type model that is focusses on handling and technology. More of a semi-premium model to compete with the imports.
Old 8/24/10, 03:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Y'know, I think history may repeat itself and Mr Shelby may part company with Ford sometime soon, just as he did in 1970. Maybe for different reasons this time arousnd, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's no Shelby's for the next-gen Mustangs. SVTs, Boss 302 and maybe even Mach1s will do nicely, thanks.

And I mean no disrepect to Mr Shelby, because I do appreciate the magic that he bought to the Mustang.

I think the Mach would be great as the top of the line. It was pretty close to what the GT500 is now. Big power, bold looks and all the bells and whistles.
Old 8/24/10, 07:10 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Clino
I'm not quite sure I follow. So are you thinking that the EB 2.0 will replace the current 3.7 as the base engine? I don't think that's going to happen. The 3.7 is a great engine, and already offers an amazing balance between performance and economy. I don't think Mustang buyers are THAT worried about a few more MPG at the expense of the performance difference between the two.

If they do offer the EB 2.0 in the Mustang (I still don't see the need) I think it will be an SVO type model that is focusses on handling and technology. More of a semi-premium model to compete with the imports.
According to that post, the V6 is going to be Ecoboost and 360hp. That's a pretty expensive base engine IMO. I see the car selling near $30k. Thats why I think the Ecoboost 4 will be the base engine.

A Special Edition with a 290hp Ecoboost 4 doesn't make any sense, considering the performance of both the V6 & V8. It made sense a few years ago and back in the 80's, but not now.

If I were to make a modern version of the SVO, it would be based off a Ecoboost V6!
Old 8/24/10, 06:23 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GTJOHN
I can see a "Big" Boss being made, but I don't see it as the top dog. The Boss doesn't come as a convertible, and the current Boss 302, lacks a lot of the bells & whistles that comes with the Shelby.
I could go for a big boss: https://themustangsource.com/concept/10boss/boss10.jpg

(But I hate to think what that beast would do to the CAFE average!)
Old 8/25/10, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

"Seek and ye shall find", or somethin' Biblical like that!

Just when I call for a comparo between the BMW M3 and a Boss 302 and/or a Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Motor Trend pits a regular Mustang GT Premium coupe with the performance options (Brembos, summer tires, 3.73s, yada yada yada...) against a new BMW M3 with the Competition Package and any other performance-enhancing options they could order for the Bimmer in a dragrace/roadrace knock-down drag-out at Willow Raceway.

The Mustang won everything except it was bested by nine hundredths of a second around the track--but they had loaded the Mustang with all kinds of fluff options (and the weight those power-robbing items bring with them) to have the Mustang as close to "comparably equipped" to the BMW M3 as possible--about every option on the Mustang GT Premium's order sheet except the glass roof. It got the Mustang up to just over $40,000, but still about $26,000 less than the BMW M3!

It is a terrific article in the October issue of Motor Trend and their videos are outstanding! Many passes thru the quarter were dead ties until the Mustang finally won with a 12.7 @ 111 MPH vs a 12.8 @ 110 MPH! The Mustang won the 60-0 braking by 2 feet and the slalom & figure 8 by modest but valid margins, too.

GO READ THIS NOW:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...on/result.html

One of the world's ten greatest vehicles of all time just got bested by a Mustang GT premium--and this was the BMW M3 with the Competition Package, not just a regular M3 (and the Mustang had the performance options available from the factory, too, so both came to the fray with their knives sharp and their guns loaded). No GT500 nor Boss 302 required--just a well-optioned everyday Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium available from any Ford dealer in the country.

Mustang, you rock!

Greg "Proud as Punch" Ates
Old 8/25/10, 01:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by John H
"Us"? Please forgive my ignorance, but are you a part of the Mustang team in some way? Not trying to be a smarty pants. Just didn't know if you are or not.
John H: Sadly, no. Ford's loss. They need me--badly.
OTOH, they ain't doin' too bad a job themselves

The quote "Give us time." comes from a M*A*S*H episode years and years ago, a response by an Army spook to Major Burns's statement: "I bet you guys only answer to the President!"

Greg "As modest as I am magnificent" Ates

Last edited by Eights; 8/25/10 at 01:44 PM.
Old 8/25/10, 05:09 PM
Cobra Member

"Seek and ye shall find", or somethin' Biblical like that!

Just when I call for a comparo between the BMW M3 and a Boss 302 and/or a Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Motor Trend pits a regular Mustang GT Premium coupe with the performance options (Brembos, summer tires, 3.73s, yada yada yada...) against a new BMW M3 with the Competition Package and any other performance-enhancing options they could order for the Bimmer in a dragrace/roadrace knock-down drag-out at Willow Raceway.

The Mustang won everything except it was bested by nine hundredths of a second around the track--but they had loaded the Mustang with all kinds of fluff options (and the weight those power-robbing items bring with them) to have the Mustang as close to "comparably equipped" to the BMW M3 as possible--about every option on the Mustang GT Premium's order sheet except the glass roof. It got the Mustang up to just over $40,000, but still about $26,000 less than the BMW M3!

It is a terrific article in the October issue of Motor Trend and their videos are outstanding! Many passes thru the quarter were dead ties until the Mustang finally won with a 12.7 @ 111 MPH vs a 12.8 @ 110 MPH! The Mustang won the 60-0 braking by 2 feet and the slalom & figure 8 by modest but valid margins, too.

GO READ THIS NOW:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...on/result.html

One of the world's ten greatest vehicles of all time just got bested by a Mustang GT premium--and this was the BMW M3 with the Competition Package, not just a regular M3 (and the Mustang had the performance options available from the factory, too, so both came to the fray with their knives sharp and their guns loaded). No GT500 nor Boss 302 required--just a well-optioned everyday Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium available from any Ford dealer in the country.

Mustang, you rock!

Greg "Proud as Punch" Ates
Been a Ford & Mustang guy my entire life, but I am amazed by the things they are doing. They are actually doing what they need to do to survive, and maybe even make a little money along the way too!

The cool part about all of this, is that they are just getting started. Its going to be interesting to see how both GM & Chrysler react. IMO, Chrysler is either going to die in a few years or they are going to be a completely different company - maybe not for the good either.

GM will always build a fast & power car, but they need a design make-over IMO. Something is just lacking from them - both in exterior & interior design, materials etc.
Old 8/25/10, 06:05 PM
GT Member

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts
Check out the speed plots in the article. The "professional driver" couldn't rev match second while the author could. The sections just after slow curves, he could use second for more accel, but he's low revving it out with third. More than .09 to make up if he could find second gear...

Quick Reply: leaks