2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

"Leaked" 2015 Mustang on Dec. cover of Car & Driver

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/13, 08:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bob
That's the elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about, wasn't it BMW that was/is replacing coked up cylinder heads under warranty? I know GM has installed a fairly complex system for scrubbing the PCV system of oil for that very reason. I know DI is pretty nice tech but I'm not a huge fan for the reason you cite and the limitations it imposes on modifying the engine for big power. Granted if Ford introduces DI on the next Mustang it will cover most of the typical bolt on crowd with the exception of power adder people who will most likely have to use some sort of supplemental fuel injection scheme as its simply not a matter of being able to install a BAP or bigger pumps or easily replaced injectors. This is definetly a case where I think "don't fix it if it ain't broke" applies or well long enough for DI to mature in the performance aftermarket and modding a DI engine for serious to extreme power is no more difficult than modding a current port injected engine.
It the engine issues and two replaced fuel rails that had me looking domestic in the first place.
Old 10/30/13, 08:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Personally I think the Stang should be a 4 Series fighter, for less coin being a domestic. As for a 3 series fighter give me a manual turbo Fusion.
Old 10/31/13, 02:50 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
You should hear some AMGs or Jag Rs of late - exhaust notes that would shame a NASCAR racer.

As for turbo V8s in general, just saw a video where a stock TT 4.something Audi S8 did a quarter in under 12 sec and over 120mph. If turbos on a V8 can fling a fat luxo barge down the quarter at that clip, sign me up!
Well, AMGs should be compared to SVTs or Saleens.
But the car I'm talking was a SL V8 and the V6 Firebird sounded way better! Some guys that were around and were not very car savy even asked if the firebird was a V8 because it sounded much tougher and bigger than the puny sounding SL V8.

As to the turbo, to each his own. There's a reason a Lamborghini doesn't have a turbo. It does not need it. Turbos were designed to compensate for lack of power.
Old 10/31/13, 02:54 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mrp5150
+1

I've seen a white Jaguar F-Type (the V8-S model) driving around my neighborhood a few times and it sounds absolutely brutal. Same thing with a lot of the Maserati V8's. They sound so refined and classy but just so angry at the same time.
Well, this is obviously a matter of taste and opinion. I prefer the way a GT500 sounds than a Ferrari V8 for example. If you like how F1 cars sound you would probably like the thinner and screaming sound of a Ferrari. I prefer the growl of an American V8.
Old 10/31/13, 02:59 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by conv_stang
And someone is drunk if they think a V-6 sounds better than an M3
Oh, so this is how we are defining different opinions now? If somebody has a different opinion than you, he has to be drunk? Mature, are we?

The latest gen M3s are V8. But till 2006 they were inline 6 and sounded like the puny cars they were. The new M3s sound nice and as I said, if you like the thin V8 sound you will like it. But yes, when you just start up and the engine is in idle, I think a Firebird or Mustang V6 can still sound better. Reving and driving may be a different story. But a M3 V8 or not has nothing on a Mustang GT or Vette in the sound department!
Old 10/31/13, 04:58 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustango
Turbos are for puny engines.
Twins look right at home on the Ford GT . . . .

And on the Cobra-Jet Mustang Concept by FMC . . .

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/30/f...ncept-w-video/

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 10/31/13 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10/31/13, 06:04 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The funy thing is, most Euro V-8s don't even sound like a V-8, at least nothing like an American V-8. The other day we were all gathering and somebody showed up with a BMW V-8 and we were just commenting how an American V-6 actually sounds better.
Euro V8 = 180* crank vs American V8 = 90* crank.
Old 10/31/13, 06:06 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Twins look right at home on the Ford GT . . . .
An 8.3 Whipple would look even better!

Old 10/31/13, 07:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Lol...that comes with the new 901d option - hood delete
Old 10/31/13, 07:45 AM
GT Member

If I want a German car, I buy a German car!

I hope we never see a turbo V8 in a Mustang! Turbos are for puny engines. Not for muscle cars.
Good thing the Mustang isn't a muscle car anymore. As far as the turbo thing, . People use turbos because they make an insane amount of power (especially on 5.0's) and they're efficient. If they're not your thing so be it but to say they don't belong on a Mustang is just ridiculous.
Old 10/31/13, 07:54 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by bob

I wouldn't argue against either!
Old 10/31/13, 10:29 AM

Oh, so this is how we are defining different opinions now? If somebody has a different opinion than you, he has to be drunk? Mature, are we?

The latest gen M3s are V8. But till 2006 they were inline 6 and sounded like the puny cars they were. The new M3s sound nice and as I said, if you like the thin V8 sound you will like it. But yes, when you just start up and the engine is in idle, I think a Firebird or Mustang V6 can still sound better. Reving and driving may be a different story. But a M3 V8 or not has nothing on a Mustang GT or Vette in the sound department!
I think both gen M3 sound great, though distinctive.

As for the E46 M3s, of which I have more than a little familiarity, yes they were inline sixes, perhaps one of the better cylinder arrangements for a number of reasons, and they were hardly "puny" as they would evicerate the a 3.7 Stangs and even run ahead of the 4.6 Stangs on the straights, then evicerate them as soon as one turned the steering wheel. That a decade+ old 3.2 M3 can still readily outpower brand new Stang 3.7, even after spotting the latter an extra half liter is hardly the mark of a puny car. They do have a very sharp sound, but that is as much reflective of their high CR, very aggressive cams, machined and polished ports and header exhaust, all of which send down each exhaust pulse like a knife-edged rifle shot than the softer pulses of a less highly tuned motor.

As for the current V8 M3, they has, what I would say, a dinstinct note over a Stang or Vette, more different than better or worse. Kind of has a distant, almost ghostly quality (I'm reaching here) than the deeper, earthier big Yank V8s. A lot of these Euro motors, though, I find sound much better in real life than on video. For some reason, video/audio clips just rarely captures the richness of their sounds like they can the deeper American V8s.

I would agree that the current V6 Stang could use a more soulful exhaust note though. Not that its bad, but not really sporty either - I'm sure Ford could do better.
Old 10/31/13, 10:40 AM
Cobra Member

For those of you saying it looks like a Fusion coupe. I don't really see the resemblance. This is what happens when you make a coupe from sedan. Almost identical.

vs

Old 10/31/13, 01:12 PM
Cobra R Member

idk

Old 10/31/13, 01:16 PM
Cobra Member

If they designed a Fusion coupe, it would NOT look like that mustang.
Old 10/31/13, 01:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cinque35
idk

Certainly not dissimilar, but I really think the fusion is a good looking little car. I like the Aston Martin look. I would love to see a FUSION SHO, 4wd and a really nice ecoboost 6'er for about 400 ponies. It would make a great option for someone who needs a functional back seat and still wants performance.
Old 10/31/13, 01:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
My fear is that Ford may have just "GTO'd" the Mustang the way GM messed up. Cause the GTO was fast, but it didn't look like what everyone thought a GTo should look... too much corporate styling. I hope I'm wrong. I think this looks "mustang" enough... just barely.
Old 10/31/13, 01:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
My fear is that Ford may have just "GTO'd" the Mustang the way GM messed up. Cause the GTO was fast, but it didn't look like what everyone thought a GTo should look... too much corporate styling. I hope I'm wrong. I think this looks "mustang" enough... just barely.
Old 10/31/13, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The last gen GTO was just a rebadged Holden Monaro, all they did is slap a new grill and logo and there you go, a sport car with just old brand name stock on top of it.
Old 10/31/13, 04:16 PM
V6 Member

The GTO revival was the most souless sports coupe ever "produced" by the American car industry, let alone Pontiac. As much as I'm not on board with this new Mustang design yet, if it looks like the renders it will still have that miserable GTO beaten by miles. Then again even the Hyundai Scoupe did.

Last edited by Mustango; 10/31/13 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: "Leaked" 2015 Mustang on Dec. cover of Car & Driver