2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

"Leaked" 2015 Mustang on Dec. cover of Car & Driver

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/13, 04:32 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Munk
You'll be surprised what some people can do with a shelby
Oh, I know. But breaking the laws of physics is certainly not one of them.
Old 11/3/13, 04:34 PM
V6 Member

I don't think anyone here wants a ''euro mustang''. Not everyone can afford a 70K sports coupe, but more people can afford a 30k mustang than can rival the performance of a euro sports coupe. That's what most people want.
This is pretty much what I just said, just in different words.

But some do seem to want it to either look more like a Jag or Aston or sound like an European sports car or both. Go back and re-read some of the posts. ;-)
Old 11/3/13, 04:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha that's exactly how I feel
Me too.
Old 11/3/13, 05:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So you're suggesting that the engine from the 2013 Shelby GT500 is a hand built engine?

And Ford calls it a sports car on their website
I see what you're referring to however you will notice Ford doesn't refer to it as a sports car anywhere on the site itself - just that one mention in the webpage header.

Also if you look up the definition of a sports car:

sports car noun
: a low, small car that seats two people and that is made for fast driving

This is what most consider a sports car which is why I mentioned Corvette and Viper.
Old 11/3/13, 05:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
Now I know why I owned GM cars since I was 17. GM folks tend to get along and don't look down on other people liking other automobile manufacturers.
OMG really??? You are either trolling or seriously misguided!
Old 11/3/13, 08:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think this whole thing has gotten a bit off topic...
Old 11/4/13, 11:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rmurer
I think this whole thing has gotten a bit off topic...
Theres's so many topics here lol.
Old 11/4/13, 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You'll be surprised what some people can do with a shelby
Not really.

Keeping up with a Porsche in a straight line is definitely possible, but it's a drivers race. Less than 1/10th of a second separates them in a 1/4 mile drag race.

Keeping up with one on a track with corners...... never gonna happen. The Porsche can stop from 60mph in less than 100 feet while the Shelby takes more than 110 feet. The 911 can run through the slalom at more than 74mph while the Shelby struggles just to hit 70. Same story on the skidpad as well.

The Shelby is fine in a straight line but once you get to corners the weight and the old fashioned rear end just drags the car down. As a "sports car" it's not competitive.
Old 11/4/13, 11:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mustango
Well, better is in the eye of the beholder or in this case in the intention. For drag racing, well... For better quality build and parts the Vette probably has the edge. In general, I'm pretty sure the Vette will keep up with a Porsche. The Shelby Mustang, not a chance. ;-)
Certainly this depends on which porshe. A boxster isn't a gt3 and porsche even has hybrid SUVs now. Further it depends on the race. A gt500 beats the hell out of a lot of Porsches in some races. For that matter so does a boss. Obviously turning left and right goes porsche almost EVERYTIME. With the IRS coming out in the mustangs I will be curious to see what the Mustang can do. We shall see what we shall see.

The boss shows that mustangs aren't just about drag racing. Who would have thought that a Camaro could do a 7:37 on the ring??? Let's see what Ford can do to step up with the next gen Shelby. As I said, it's a great time to be a fan of American muscle.
Old 11/4/13, 12:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Moustang
Not really. Keeping up with a Porsche in a straight line is definitely possible, but it's a drivers race. Less than 1/10th of a second separates them in a 1/4 mile drag race. Keeping up with one on a track with corners...... never gonna happen. The Porsche can stop from 60mph in less than 100 feet while the Shelby takes more than 110 feet. The 911 can run through the slalom at more than 74mph while the Shelby struggles just to hit 70. Same story on the skidpad as well. The Shelby is fine in a straight line but once you get to corners the weight and the old fashioned rear end just drags the car down. As a "sports car" it's not competitive.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

It does pretty good against most. It's ahead of a few Porsche's, a few C6 Vette's. But yes those that you listed do slow the car. But it does well all things considered.
Old 11/4/13, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Not really.

Keeping up with a Porsche in a straight line is definitely possible, but it's a drivers race. Less than 1/10th of a second separates them in a 1/4 mile drag race.

Keeping up with one on a track with corners...... never gonna happen. The Porsche can stop from 60mph in less than 100 feet while the Shelby takes more than 110 feet. The 911 can run through the slalom at more than 74mph while the Shelby struggles just to hit 70. Same story on the skidpad as well.

The Shelby is fine in a straight line but once you get to corners the weight and the old fashioned rear end just drags the car down. As a "sports car" it's not competitive.
Well consider the price of a porsche, then the price of a shelby. You can upgrade brakes and suspension for the same price of a porsche maybe even a little less and still school it around a track.
Old 11/4/13, 12:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

I don't think anyone here wants a ''euro mustang''. Not everyone can afford a 70K sports coupe, but more people can afford a 30k mustang than can rival the performance of a euro sports coupe. That's what most people want.
The most bang for the buck has always appealed to me as I have to use some form of justification to even purchase a car that falls short in so many of the reasons to even own a car in the first place.. ie. comfortably and economically carrying people and stuff. A mustang is not a practical purchase for sure. I've owned 12 mustangs so I suppose had I wanted to, I could have afforded a more expensive European car at some point, but that just doesn't resonate with my Midwest raised Appalachian heritage blue collar values. Not hating btw.. They're fine cars to be sure, as are camaros, vettes, etc. But my heart belongs to Mustang from a long time ago. I'm liking the new car so far, but I'll be waiting for the newer power train with the 10 speed auto and some specialty version. Don't think it's only gonna cost me $30k however. Haven't seen that car for a few years now unless you don't want any options
Old 11/4/13, 04:21 PM
V6 Member

Not really.

Keeping up with one on a track with corners...... never gonna happen.
Well, yeah. I thought it was clear I meant keeping up with it around corners when I excluded the drag racing.
Old 11/4/13, 04:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by eric n
Certainly this depends on which porshe. A boxster isn't a gt3 and porsche even has hybrid SUVs now. Further it depends on the race. A gt500 beats the hell out of a lot of Porsches in some races. For that matter so does a boss. Obviously turning left and right goes porsche almost EVERYTIME. With the IRS coming out in the mustangs I will be curious to see what the Mustang can do. We shall see what we shall see.

The boss shows that mustangs aren't just about drag racing. Who would have thought that a Camaro could do a 7:37 on the ring??? Let's see what Ford can do to step up with the next gen Shelby. As I said, it's a great time to be a fan of American muscle.
Is a Boxter even a Porsche? Hehehe. Maybe in the U.S.

Now a SUV? Come on, you knew I didn't mean a SUV vs a GT500.
Yes, the "911"!

I thought it was also clear that I meant keeping up with a Porsche around the corners. Not in a straight line.

I mean, doesn't even a Zl1 handle much better than the GT500? I haven't driven one yet.
Old 11/4/13, 04:29 PM
V6 Member

Well consider the price of a porsche, then the price of a shelby. You can upgrade brakes and suspension for the same price of a porsche maybe even a little less and still school it around a track.
True, but remember we got to the Porsche starting from the Corvette. So let's not get lost here. Which is what is super impressive about the Vette. For the price, it's the only American car that can hang with Porsches and Lambos.

But that schooling around the track is not happening, with any upgrades, unless we are talking about straight line or driving in circles like Nascar, which is again, basically, a infinite "straight line."

Last edited by Mustango; 11/4/13 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11/5/13, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by conv_stang
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

It does pretty good against most. It's ahead of a few Porsche's, a few C6 Vette's. But yes those that you listed do slow the car. But it does well all things considered.

It beat a Porsche Boxter. LOL! The cheapest, slowest, convertible car Porche makes. It also managed to beat a Carrera S........... from 2009.

I notice the 911 GT3 beat the Shelby by almost 5 SECONDS PER LAP. That's huge. That's a similar performance difference as a 2013 Shelby compared to a 2012 Lexus IS F.

A 911 GT3 owner has about as much to fear from a Shelby GT500 as a Shelby GT500 has to fear from this:

You think a little brake upgrade and a bit of suspension tuning is going to make a Shelby keep up with a GT3 on a road course?

Look at those lap times in the link above. A 911 GT3 is 5 seconds per lap faster than the Shelby. You think a bit of braking improvement and a change of springs is going to make up that difference? 5 SECONDS PER LAP? If that were true then just how rotten is the suspension under the Mustang that it's fastest version can be made 5 seconds per lap faster with just a change of shocks and springs and maybe a swaybar?

Get real. The difference is insurmountable. NOTHING you do to a Shelby is going to make up a 5 second per lap difference.

Last edited by Moustang; 11/5/13 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11/5/13, 09:01 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

It beat a Porsche Boxter. LOL! The cheapest, slowest, convertible car Porche makes. It also managed to beat a Carrera S........... from 2009. I notice the 911 GT3 beat the Shelby by almost 5 SECONDS PER LAP. That's huge. That's a similar performance difference as a 2013 Shelby compared to a 2012 Lexus IS F. A 911 GT3 owner has about as much to fear from a Shelby GT500 as a Shelby GT500 has to fear from this: You think a little brake upgrade and a bit of suspension tuning is going to make a Shelby keep up with a GT3 on a road course? Look at those lap times in the link above. A 911 GT3 is 5 seconds per lap faster than the Shelby. You think a bit of braking improvement and a change of springs is going to make up that difference? 5 SECONDS PER LAP? If that were true then just how rotten is the suspension under the Mustang that it's fastest version can be made 5 seconds per lap faster with just a change of shocks and springs and maybe a swaybar? Get real. The difference is insurmountable. NOTHING you do to a Shelby is going to make up a 5 second per lap difference.
Guess you are too busy drooling over V6 Firebird sounds...

.it's a little over a second behind the $120,000 Carrera S with its Michelin Cup tires and ceramic brake option. And with better brakes, wheels tires and proper shocks yeah the GT500 could get close to the $190,000 GT3 and easily pass the Carrera S

Last edited by conv_stang; 11/5/13 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11/5/13, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
I see what you're referring to however you will notice Ford doesn't refer to it as a sports car anywhere on the site itself - just that one mention in the webpage header.

Also if you look up the definition of a sports car:

sports car noun
: a low, small car that seats two people and that is made for fast driving

This is what most consider a sports car which is why I mentioned Corvette and Viper.
Hmm. My window sticker says "4-Passenger Sports Car". I suspect the 2015's will say the same.

And I prefer the Collins English Dictionary definition over the Merriam-Webster Definition you are quoting. Here's the Collins version (note the words "usually" and "adequate"):

sports car

Definitions

noun
  1. a production car designed for speed, high acceleration, and manoeuvrability, having a low body and usually adequate seating for only two persons

Last edited by Mrsuitcase; 11/5/13 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11/5/13, 01:31 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Well, the current Mustangs have "usually adequate seating for only two persons" - and then those little upholstered spaces in the back. LOL
Old 11/5/13, 02:41 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...l-details-news

i like it but not enough to feel envy and run out and trade in my '13. I'd never by the 1st gen anyways.

Last edited by DarrenGT; 11/5/13 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: "Leaked" 2015 Mustang on Dec. cover of Car & Driver