Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Vibration Issues At Highway Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/15, 02:34 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not only concerned about comfort but also the long term effects. The mirror and rear glass that rattle during the vibration also rattle when I hit a moderate bump. I would bet the rattles have, at a minimum, have been aggravated by the harmonics of the vibration.

That wont do.
Old 2/19/15, 08:48 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by farsidejunky
I have been heavily researching this today on multiple forums.

Deysha, please answer what you can. It appears that drive shaft harmonics are a common problem on the S197's. Yet there are no bulletins about it.

I spoke to another person on another forum who has my identical problem and set up (M6 and 3.73's) and his car is waiting for a Ford engineer through Ford of Murfreesboro, which is coincidentally the same dealer I purchased mine from.
There are many, many others as well.
Please help me understand how this is not documented and addressed yet.
Everyone’s concerns get addressed and documented as long as they are bringing them into their dealers and getting them checked out/repaired, farsidejunky. They are all reviewed on a case by case basis. I am happy to get this escalated for you and also document it on your file. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 2/19/15, 12:44 PM
GT Member

Deysha:

It is fair to give the dealership the opportunity to fix it prior to escalation. The point I was trying to make is how this particular issues seems to be fairly common. I am sort of stunned that there is not a maintenance bulletin on it of some sort.
Old 2/20/15, 06:59 AM

Deysha:

It is fair to give the dealership the opportunity to fix it prior to escalation. The point I was trying to make is how this particular issues seems to be fairly common. I am sort of stunned that there is not a maintenance bulletin on it of some sort.
I understand, farsidejunky. The escalation will simply provide them with another hand to help them out if needed. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha
Old 2/23/15, 09:13 AM
GT Member

Dropped off at the dealership this morning. They gave me a loaner; a Fiesta...

It just doesn't seem like an equal tradeoff...

I will post results from this visit as I get them.
Old 2/23/15, 02:53 PM
GT Member

Paging Deysha!

The new verdict is a road force balance. All of my mechanical knowledge comes from what took place 20 years ago, so I have no idea what this is.

But here is what I do know. The dealership is telling me that all tires are within specifications except the passenger rear, which he said IIRC was at 31 pounds (does that sound right?). He said the solution is to replace the tire. Which is not covered under warranty.

He is currently trying to work out something with the parts manager now. What he is trying to work out, I have no idea.

What I do know is that Ford of Murfreesboro issued the Ford Certified label on this vehicle and I purchased it 23 days ago. It has been making this noise since the road test. I initially took it in the week after I purchased it for this problem.

Do I have a pot to **** in over holding the certifying dealership responsible?
Old 2/24/15, 09:13 AM
GT Member

The servicing dealership has the ability to replace the tire under the Ford Certified warranty. They are working that now.

I am still not convinced this will fix the problem given what I have read elsewhere, but we will see.
Old 2/24/15, 01:17 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is bothering you so I wanted to say I truly hope this gets it fixed for you man but GOOD LUCK, that's all I'm going to say. I went through ALL of this and after I paid for a road force balance the first time, I went back b/c it didn't fix it and they re-did it b/c (it got off balance) somehow I guess a mile after I left lol.

They re did it for free and the car still had the same shakes. It may help yours some b/c like I said my mirrors don't shake. I also got a new tire b/c one was out of round under warranty (after market tires). Sound familiar?

They were not a major brand tire so after the new tire came in and was balanced it still shook so I brought it back again and asked the tire dealer about it which they attributed it to my "Chinese tires" and how no tire can be perfectly round but these were probably not as well made like a name brand tire.

Guess what I now have different tires (General G-Max) and guess what it still does the exact same thing (also had a road force balance done when the new tires were put on).

Btw a road force balance is simply a machine that acts like the road and allows them to balance that way rather than just spinning it mid air with nothing touching it. Let us know how it turns out. Try putting the car in sport mode and see if that makes it worse. I will say this, the shaking did reduce some after the road force balance but as I've mentioned it is still there.

Last edited by choate; 2/24/15 at 01:20 PM.
Old 2/24/15, 06:46 PM
GT Member

I did some reading on the road force balance today. When I was working on cars back in the day, we were still using the bubble balance, and the nicer shops had the one that spun them at higher speeds. I am still trying to figure out how the Coyote can have that much compression and still run 87 octane... Showing my age and lack of current knowledge here... Anyway...

I have only had it three weeks, one of which was at the Ford Dealer for service. The tire came in at 4:30 today so they will not be getting to it until the morning. I will leave that car at the dealership until it is fixed correctly. They can give me a loaner on their dime until it is right. Yes, I am stubborn.

And for the record, I have Good Year RS-A's on it, and they look new(ish). I think the selling dealer, which is not the current servicing dealer, replaced the OEM tires with them before they resold the vehicle.

I don't remember if you mentioned it, Choate. You are lowered, right? What gears? M6?

Last edited by farsidejunky; 2/24/15 at 08:25 PM.
Old 2/25/15, 07:54 AM

Paging Deysha!

The new verdict is a road force balance. All of my mechanical knowledge comes from what took place 20 years ago, so I have no idea what this is.
But here is what I do know. The dealership is telling me that all tires are within specifications except the passenger rear, which he said IIRC was at 31 pounds (does that sound right?). He said the solution is to replace the tire. Which is not covered under warranty.
He is currently trying to work out something with the parts manager now. What he is trying to work out, I have no idea.
What I do know is that Ford of Murfreesboro issued the Ford Certified label on this vehicle and I purchased it 23 days ago. It has been making this noise since the road test. I initially took it in the week after I purchased it for this problem.
Do I have a pot to **** in over holding the certifying dealership responsible?
The servicing dealership has the ability to replace the tire under the Ford Certified warranty. They are working that now.

I am still not convinced this will fix the problem given what I have read elsewhere, but we will see.
Thank you for the update, farsidejunky. It seems to me your dealer is doing everything in their power to help you get this resolved. Let me know what happens.

Deysha
Old 2/25/15, 02:13 PM
GT Member

Tire replaced. Road force balanced. Vibration still present.

The service adviser said it was back to square one.
Old 2/25/15, 05:18 PM
GT Member

^Lol sorry it's not funny but it kind of is b/c I know exactly what you are going through. I just gave up when it was close to ok. Yeah I've had the vibration as long as I can remember. The one thing is I don't remember if it did it with stock wheels and tires b/c I literally only drove on them probably 200 miles at most before my new wheels came in. The dealer then took my tires and wheels and swapped for the new ones and gave me credit for the stock wheels/tires so I didn't have access to them anymore to see if that fixed the vibrations. I am very interested to see if they can get yours to stop. Mine isn't all that bad but for example today on the way to work today I had a can of soup in the passenger seat and you could visibly see it vibrating back and forth. it's shaken like that or worse through 2 different sets of tires, stock suspension, to lowered, 2 different sets of front LCA that were making noise (didn't think it had anything to do w the vibration), new rear LCAs, relocation brackets etc. None of that seemed to hurt or help it any. My car is an automatic 2012 (factory 3.15 years) that was built in Feb of 2011

Last edited by choate; 2/25/15 at 05:23 PM.
Old 2/25/15, 06:15 PM
GT Member

Did they replace anything in the rear end? Axles? Dif? Ring and pinion? Bearings in the rear end?

I stopped by the dealership and they had placed another call to the "hotline".

Deysha, I am ready for that escalation now.
Old 2/26/15, 06:29 AM

Did they replace anything in the rear end? Axles? Dif? Ring and pinion? Bearings in the rear end?

I stopped by the dealership and they had placed another call to the "hotline".

Deysha, I am ready for that escalation now.
Thanks for the PM, farsidejunky. I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 2/26/15, 12:25 PM
GT Member

I stopped by the dealership and they had placed another call to the "hotline"
None of that was replaced. I added all those parts I mentioned on my own dime for a performance upgrade. The dealer never had my car except for replacing the front LCA b/c they made bad noises over bumps. Keep us posted
Old 2/26/15, 02:44 PM
GT Member

Hotline came back with a bunch of small things to check. Pinion angle, gear lash, some of the bearings, etc.. It all sounds centered around the rear end. They will have it through tomorrow at least. I will keep you posted on the results.

In the meantime, there's somebody else from another forum I have been corresponding with and actually gotten his work order number, the servicing dealer, and the service advisor who's working this person's Mustang. It sounds like he has the exact same issue. An engineer has already looked at his vehicle, and he is just waiting for them to do some rear end work, and possibly some transmission work. Coincidentally, his servicing dealer happens to be my purchasing dealer. I will also keep his progress updated here as well.

Last edited by farsidejunky; 2/26/15 at 02:48 PM.
Old 2/26/15, 03:11 PM
GT Member

Hotline came back with a bunch of small things to check. Pinion angle, gear lash, some of the bearings, etc.. It all sounds centered around the rear end. They will have it through tomorrow at least. I will keep you posted on the results.

In the meantime, there's somebody else from another forum I have been corresponding with and actually gotten his work order number, the servicing dealer, and the service advisor who's working this person's Mustang. It sounds like he has the exact same issue. An engineer has already looked at his vehicle, and he is just waiting for them to do some rear end work, and possibly some transmission work. Coincidentally, his servicing dealer happens to be my purchasing dealer. I will also keep his progress updated here as well.
I am the guy from the other forum..... The engineer has not looked at my car yet. I was told by the area Customer Service Manager for Ford that I would hear from him shortly on 2/6/2015 and now the service manager will not return my calls. The local ford dealer do not care because I did not buy the car from them (I dont think they would care then either actually) and I am at my wits end.

Last I was told they were going to get a shim and bearing kit for my rear end and honestly I dont know if I want this dealer that does not care to service my car. I was told an engineer would come look at it and now that FORD will not call me back I have no idea what to do. I love my Fords I have three in my garage now (02 GT, F-150, and my 14GT) and I cannot say I will buy another if this is how I will be treated as a customer and a repeat customer at that. I have owned 6 Mustangs, 2 F150s, a Taurus, LTD, and several others and have loved them all but now...................
Old 2/26/15, 04:19 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by keltymd
I am the guy from the other forum..... The engineer has not looked at my car yet. I was told by the area Customer Service Manager for Ford that I would hear from him shortly on 2/6/2015 and now the service manager will not return my calls. The local ford dealer do not care because I did not buy the car from them (I dont think they would care then either actually) and I am at my wits end.

Last I was told they were going to get a shim and bearing kit for my rear end and honestly I dont know if I want this dealer that does not care to service my car. I was told an engineer would come look at it and now that FORD will not call me back I have no idea what to do. I love my Fords I have three in my garage now (02 GT, F-150, and my 14GT) and I cannot say I will buy another if this is how I will be treated as a customer and a repeat customer at that. I have owned 6 Mustangs, 2 F150s, a Taurus, LTD, and several others and have loved them all but now...................
I spoke to your customer service manager today, Kelty. He actually returned my call shortly after lunch. He said they were going to look at bearings in the rear end.
Old 2/27/15, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by keltymd

Let me check on this for you, keltymd. Please PM me with your VIN, full name, number, and case number (if handy).

Deysha
Old 2/27/15, 01:49 PM
GT Member

Just received a call from the fill in for the regional service adviser who is out for the day.

This may sound unappreciative, but the gist of the call?

"The dealership is doing everything they are supposed to be doing. We really do care. It will be okay and we are here if you need us."

A pat on the back. Ugh. How about a timeline?

I referenced Kelty and how the dealerships show zero interest in discussing with each other what appears to be the exact same problem.

Her: "They have a hotline request and are working the specific things that they were told to check"

Me: "You mean the second hotline request. The first didn't work."

Her: "They are doing everything they are supposed to be doing."

Me: "Was that yesterdays hotline request or a new one from today?"

Her: "I assume it was the one from yesterday."

So she didn't know.

Sorry, Deysha, but I was expecting a call from someone who was going to explain in technical terms (or even lay terms would have sufficed) on why this is so hard to nail down, why it is taking so long, etc. Instead?

"We care. It will be okay."

Not impressed. At all.

Last edited by farsidejunky; 2/27/15 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Vibration Issues At Highway Speeds