Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Vibration Issues At Highway Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/15, 01:55 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to my world. They told me they can't make a dealership work on a customers car. Um isn't that part of being a ford certified dealer?

At least someone is calling you. I had to call the dealer 4 times yesterday before someone would answer and not hang up before I got transferred to service only to be told that the carrier bearings are on back order. I have 3 ford sets in my garage from gear changes that didn't need new carriers and I wod be happy to give them to them so they can fix my car.

deysha

Thank you for looking into this. I hope you fare better than I have.
Old 2/27/15, 01:59 PM
GT Member

After searching several forums I have realized this is a problem with a lot of mustangs and all that I have found he the 373 option. Makes me wonder if there is a slight out of spec area in the axle housings that the higher rpm of the driveshaft is causing issues with the pinion bearings. I have found tons of these threads since I first started having issues
Old 2/27/15, 02:03 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same here, brother. 3.73 gears, mostly manual. But everybody from Ford appears to be in the dark when you ask them.

"Have you ever heard of this problem before?"

"Nope"
Old 2/27/15, 03:10 PM
GT Member

so I called and talked to my CSR. I told him that the Manager informed me that an engineer would look at my car and not the dealer tech. He said no they wont work on it the tech would. When i told him I had the call recorded from the manager saying that he would have an engineer look at it and the dealer was not sending info back to ford his tone changed a bit. He is calling ford of Tullahoma and seeing if they can get me in to work on my car ASAP since I do not trust this dealer any further than I can throw them.
Old 2/27/15, 03:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by farsidejunky
Same here, brother. 3.73 gears, mostly manual. But everybody from Ford appears to be in the dark when you ask them.

"Have you ever heard of this problem before?"

"Nope"
Yeah I get that from them to deny deny deny. Are they actually a health insurance company in disguise???????????
Old 2/27/15, 03:53 PM
GT Member

Wow.

"Surprise" here, but everything "hotline" recommended they check was to specifications.

Monday they will take apart the rear end and see what they can find.

She is out on furlough for the weekend so at least I can drive her.

Ugh again.
Old 2/27/15, 04:51 PM
GT Member

At least your dealer is moving a bit with yours I have been,fighting since the beginning of December and still got nothing
Old 2/27/15, 06:55 PM
GT Member

I had a chat with the service adviser today when I picked up the vehicle. He finally actually communicated with me other than just "well, we need it another day".

The tech who is working on my car is a Mustang owner and their "Mustang guy". When I first brought it in, he was the one that did the ride along to hear the vibration, and called it a harmonic problem right away.

At any rate, he will continue to work the problem. They will take apart the rear end on Monday to see what is going on inside. The tech is evidently pretty well known and respected.

So we will see where it goes.

What has your dealership done since the beginning of December?

Last edited by farsidejunky; 2/27/15 at 07:02 PM.
Old 2/27/15, 07:25 PM
GT Member

Balance the tires, replace the drive shaft, supposedly an,nvh assessment, and that's all. 15 days in the shop for 2 hours of work
Old 3/2/15, 11:00 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Just received a call from the fill in for the regional service adviser who is out for the day. ...

Sorry, Deysha, but I was expecting a call from someone who was going to explain in technical terms (or even lay terms would have sufficed) on why this is so hard to nail down, why it is taking so long, etc. Instead?

"We care. It will be okay."

Not impressed. At all.
Your CSM can find resolutions to your concerns and work with your dealer, farsideunky. Let me know if you want me to reopen your case.

Originally Posted by keltymd
Welcome to my world. They told me they can't make a dealership work on a customers car. Um isn't that part of being a ford certified dealer?

At least someone is calling you. I had to call the dealer 4 times yesterday before someone would answer and not hang up before I got transferred to service only to be told that the carrier bearings are on back order. I have 3 ford sets in my garage from gear changes that didn't need new carriers and I wod be happy to give them to them so they can fix my car.

deysha

Thank you for looking into this. I hope you fare better than I have.
You’re welcome, keltymd. I’ll get back to your PM as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 3/2/15, 04:42 PM
GT Member

I had a chat with the service adviser today when I picked up the vehicle. He finally actually communicated with me other than just "well, we need it another day".

The tech who is working on my car is a Mustang owner and their "Mustang guy". When I first brought it in, he was the one that did the ride along to hear the vibration, and called it a harmonic problem right away.

At any rate, he will continue to work the problem. They will take apart the rear end on Monday to see what is going on inside. The tech is evidently pretty well known and respected.

So we will see where it goes.

What has your dealership done since the beginning of December?
Any Update?
Old 3/3/15, 08:52 AM
GT Member

Not anything noteworthy. I dropped it off yesterday morning and have not heard any updates as of yet. I will call today at COB if I do not get a call.
Old 3/3/15, 01:01 PM

Not sure if this is related but I had a 2010 F150 with a very similar vibration problem.
Went through the same BS with the dealer. Balanced and changed tires, new driveshaft and many many attempts to fix the issue. After so much wasted time and having the dealer beat on my truck. I was on the verge of getting rid of the truck I loved because this vibration was driving me nuts.
My last attempt at repair, was by a tech who greased the splines on my drive shaft that were inadequately greased at the factory.
Problem solved and no more vibration. There is now a TSB for this repair for the F150

Last edited by Beefster; 3/3/15 at 01:04 PM.
Old 3/3/15, 02:04 PM
GT Member

I spoke to the service adviser. Hotline recommended one thing to check. It was done and it did not fix the problem. Now we are waiting on Hotline to approve opening up the rear end.

Deysha, the Hotline system is stunning in its inefficiency. The tech is waiting 24 hours for the response (translation: approval) for the next step.

My car has been at the dealer for 9 working days. At least 5 of those working days was because the dealership was waiting for a response from Hotline.

I am once again terribly unimpressed with this process.
Old 3/3/15, 02:16 PM
GT Member

I spoke to the service adviser. Hotline recommended one thing to check. It was done and it did not fix the problem. Now we are waiting on Hotline to approve opening up the rear end.

Deysha, the Hotline system is stunning in its inefficiency. The tech is waiting 24 hours for the response (translation: approval) for the next step.

My car has been at the dealer for 9 working days. At least 5 of those working days was because the dealership was waiting for a response from Hotline.

I am once again terribly unimpressed with this process.
I have to agree and went thru the same wait then they were told not to open it and do an NVH test and that was when she was in the dealer for 11 days.

I think hotline is the wrong term to use for this number they call maybe something along the lines of terminal hold line
Old 3/3/15, 04:14 PM
GT Member

Deysha, at this point it's clear that the problem is not with the dealership, but rather with hotline. What the heck can be done about that?
Old 3/4/15, 08:53 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Deysha, at this point it's clear that the problem is not with the dealership, but rather with hotline. What the heck can be done about that?
This is something your CSM could have assisted with, farsidejunky. Let me know if you’d like me to reopen your case.

Deysha
Old 3/4/15, 09:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordService
This is something your CSM could have assisted with, farsidejunky. Let me know if you’d like me to reopen your case.

Deysha
Deysha,

I have been talking to my CSM for weeks about this exact issue and have not gotten anywhere.
Old 3/4/15, 09:25 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordService

Deysha
Could have? Past tense? Reopened? Why would it have been closed?

There is a fundamental communication problem here. The service person that called me told me it was their responsibility to make sure the dealership was doing everything they were supposed to. There was nothing said about anything else.

Deysha, when information is uncovered after asking rather than volunteered, it gives the impression that things are being withheld. I am not accusing you or the customer service rep of that, but in the absence of information, people will draw their own conclusions.

So. Please help me understand the full capabilities of the service rep. Because neither of you have volunteered this information to this point. Additionally, what can the rep specifically help me with in regards to Hotline?

Escalation is clearly a tool. A tool that you have encouraged me to use now for the 2nd time. But neither you nor the CSR explained to me what the tool does. I need to know what the tool does in order to properly use it.

Last edited by farsidejunky; 3/4/15 at 10:00 AM.
Old 3/4/15, 10:00 AM
GT Member

Could have? Past tense? Reopened? Why would it have been closed?

There is a fundamental communication problem here. The service person that called me told me it was their responsibility to make sure the dealership was doing everything they were supposed to. There was nothing said about anything else.

Deysha, when information is uncovered after asking rather than volunteered, it gives the impression that things are being withheld. I am not accusing you or the customer service rep of that, but in the absence of information, people will draw their own conclusions.

So. Please help me understand the full capabilities of the service rep. Because neither of you have volunteered this information to this point. Additionally, what can the rep specifically help me with in regards to Hotline?

Escalation is clearly a tool. A tool that you have encouraged me to use now for the 2nd time. But neither you or the CSR explained to me what the tool does. I need to know what the tool does in order to properly use it.
GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will also add the RECORDED comment time and time again from my CSR. "Ford cannot make the dealership work on your car and cannot do anything to speed up the process". With that in mind I have to ask what good is the warranty on our cars? If the dealers don't want to touch it how can we get it fixed if Ford cannot make them??

Quick Reply: Vibration Issues At Highway Speeds