Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Vibration Issues At Highway Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/15, 07:46 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vibration Issues At Highway Speeds

So I finally gave in to the urge and bought myself a mustang. The last one I owned was a '67 back in 1993 (high school). It is a '13 GT Premium with one owner and 33000 miles (still under warranty), and I am thoroughly enjoying it so far.

That said, I have the (evidently common) vibration at highway speeds. It starts at around 55-60, and at 70-80, vibrates mirrors. I am not feeling this through the steering wheel at all, and it feels nothing like any balance issues I have felt in the past. I have been reading here, and it seems that it can be attributed to a range of problems from tire balance (which this is clearly not) to tolerances in drive shaft components.

I am going to set up an appointment to have it looked at. I guess what I am asking is what should I tell the service department to make sure I don't waste time dealing with what I know to not be the problem. I specifically do not want to go after market unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks in advance.

ETA: 3.73 gear ratio

Last edited by farsidejunky; 2/2/15 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Anthony Lubrano (3/30/17)
Old 2/3/15, 01:29 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by farsidejunky
So I finally gave in to the urge and bought myself a mustang. The last one I owned was a '67 back in 1993 (high school). It is a '13 GT Premium with one owner and 33000 miles (still under warranty), and I am thoroughly enjoying it so far.

That said, I have the (evidently common) vibration at highway speeds. It starts at around 55-60, and at 70-80, vibrates mirrors. I am not feeling this through the steering wheel at all, and it feels nothing like any balance issues I have felt in the past. I have been reading here, and it seems that it can be attributed to a range of problems from tire balance (which this is clearly not) to tolerances in drive shaft components.

I am going to set up an appointment to have it looked at. I guess what I am asking is what should I tell the service department to make sure I don't waste time dealing with what I know to not be the problem. I specifically do not want to go after market unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks in advance.

ETA: 3.73 gear ratio
Hello farsidejunky,

Welcome to the forums! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I recommend you try to be as specific as possible explaining your concern. You can also ask if you can go on a ride with the tech/service manager, so you can show them what you’re experiencing. This may help with the diagnosis.

Deysha
Old 2/3/15, 02:19 PM
GT Member

Thank you, Deysha. I was supposed to take it in today for service but strep throat in little man took precedence.

I will take the tech for a test ride as I can get it to be symptomatic very easily.

When you are saying "as specific as possible", are you talking about my description here, at the dealership, or both?

Last edited by farsidejunky; 2/4/15 at 03:53 PM.
Old 2/4/15, 10:07 AM

Thank you, Deysha. I will supposed to take it in today for service but strep throat in little man took precedence.

I will take him for/her for a test ride as I can get it to be symptomatic very easily.

When you are saying "as specific as possible", are you talking about my description here, at the dealership, or both?
Thanks for the info, farsidejunky! I mean when you speak to your dealer. Riding with them is always a good idea.

Deysha
Old 2/6/15, 07:06 PM
GT Member

Will do. Service appointment is rescheduled to Monday at 0800.

Here is to hoping it is something simple rather than some of the other ones with similar descriptions.
Old 2/9/15, 07:47 AM
GT Member

I took the service technician for a test ride. His first thought was that it was a drive shaft problem. He said he was going to look through Oasis for any service messages and then take a look at the vehicle.
Old 2/9/15, 07:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
cheap useless ford break pads my guess I went after market rotors & pads & now feel safe.
Old 2/9/15, 08:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Maybe even how ford cannot paint aluminium to , you never see paint oxidize on an Airplane a FedEx or ups truck ever & my cat started 8 months from new , their ideas is paint never treat aluminium or even seal it. here is the result.
Attached Thumbnails Vibration Issues At Highway Speeds-1418253455713.jpg   Vibration Issues At Highway Speeds-20141019_124458.jpg  
Old 2/9/15, 10:47 AM

Will do. Service appointment is rescheduled to Monday at 0800.

Here is to hoping it is something simple rather than some of the other ones with similar descriptions.
I took the service technician for a test ride. His first thought was that it was a drive shaft problem. He said he was going to look through Oasis for any service messages and then take a look at the vehicle.
Thanks for the update, farsidejunky.

Deysha
Old 2/9/15, 01:17 PM
GT Member

The service technician is trying to determine if the problem lies in the driveshaft or the differential. Will keep this updated.
Old 2/9/15, 02:58 PM
GT Member

They said it is the driveshaft. They have ordered it and will arrive in two to three days.
Old 2/13/15, 09:19 AM

They said it is the driveshaft. They have ordered it and will arrive in two to three days.
Great! Thanks for the update, farsidejunky!

Deysha
Old 2/13/15, 02:52 PM
GT Member

Drive shaft replaced. The results?

Mixed bag. The bad news is the vibration is still present. The good news is that it is tremendously diminished.

Before replacement, I could feel it start at 45 mph, and it would stop at 80. Now it starts at 65, and stops between 70 and 75, and is not nearly as pronounced. Maybe 15-20% of the intensity from before.

Yet it is still there.

I spoke to the service manager about it, and we agreed that I would bring it in again after the weekend of the 21st due to me taking it out of town for my anniversary with my wife that weekend.

I will keep you posted.

Last edited by farsidejunky; 2/13/15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 2/14/15, 09:03 AM
GT Member

scratch my last post. Smaller speed range, same intensity. A 90 minute trip 10 Memphis today had knee keeping it at 65 or 80 in order to avoid it.
Old 2/16/15, 10:16 AM

scratch my last post. Smaller speed range, same intensity. A 90 minute trip 10 Memphis today had knee keeping it at 65 or 80 in order to avoid it.
Did you let your dealer know about this, farsidejunky?

Deysha
Old 2/18/15, 10:27 AM
GT Member

Yes. I will take it back in after the weekend.
Old 2/18/15, 11:15 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has done this since as long as I can remember. I did replace the wheels and tires right away pretty much and never bothered to switch back b/c the stock wheels were kept by the dealer for credit and it was 150 miles away. It's not enough to really drive me crazy but it's been there for over 31k miles. I just live with it b/c it's not annoying enough to spend time going back and forth with the dealer and I'm now out of warranty anyways.

FWIW my buddy that works for Ford had my car for while to put on new tires and I mentioned it to him. He then said the new tires must have fixed it b/c it's smooth now. Also, I did have one of the old tires replaced b/c I was told it was out of round before when I had a road force. It didn't change the vibration much if any. It wasn't worth chasing anymore to me but again not that bad. Good luck and let us know if you ever get it figured out. I've been through a couple road force balances, two different sets of tires, lowered it 1.5" with new shocks, twice new front LCA under warranty, added new rear lower control arms etc (not to fix the vibration but just saying) and it's still there. Worse in summer than winter and worse on certain roads more than others. Just my 0.02
Old 2/18/15, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by choate
Mine has done this since as long as I can remember. I did replace the wheels and tires right away pretty much and never bothered to switch back b/c the stock wheels were kept by the dealer for credit and it was 150 miles away. It's not enough to really drive me crazy but it's been there for over 31k miles. I just live with it b/c it's not annoying enough to spend time going back and forth with the dealer and I'm now out of warranty anyways.

FWIW my buddy that works for Ford had my car for while to put on new tires and I mentioned it to him. He then said the new tires must have fixed it b/c it's smooth now. Also, I did have one of the old tires replaced b/c I was told it was out of round before when I had a road force. It didn't change the vibration much if any. It wasn't worth chasing anymore to me but again not that bad. Good luck and let us know if you ever get it figured out. I've been through a couple road force balances, two different sets of tires, lowered it 1.5" with new shocks, twice new front LCA under warranty, added new rear lower control arms etc (not to fix the vibration but just saying) and it's still there. Worse in summer than winter and worse on certain roads more than others. Just my 0.02

This is not what I wanted to hear.

It is enough to cause the rattling of the rearview mirror and something else in the rear glass at peak. I am not going to let this go.
Old 2/18/15, 01:17 PM
GT Member

I have been heavily researching this today on multiple forums.

Deysha, please answer what you can. It appears that drive shaft harmonics are a common problem on the S197's. Yet there are no bulletins about it.

I spoke to another person on another forum who has my identical problem and set up (M6 and 3.73's) and his car is waiting for a Ford engineer through Ford of Murfreesboro, which is coincidentally the same dealer I purchased mine from.

There are many, many others as well.

Please help me understand how this is not documented and addressed yet.

Last edited by farsidejunky; 2/18/15 at 01:23 PM.
Old 2/18/15, 02:06 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just so you know the worst mine gets is from about 70+mph the passenger seat head rest shakes back and forth real fast (again some times worse than others) and if you have a plastic bag, lunch cooler etc in the seat you can see it vibrating. Also, the legs of your pants below your knees will vibrate. No mirrors shaking though

Quick Reply: Vibration Issues At Highway Speeds