Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

otto navi?

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/13, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mymustangrunfaster
Thanks. Hope it is everything we hope it too be, but at the same time no offense I wouldn't have expectations set too high especially given that its priced at $750...I mean stock factory costs nearly 2 grand...do you thinnk the outdated android os has anything to do with its low pricing.
Well remember the Factory unit brings a SAT radio tuner, HD radio tuner, Antena screen ect ect plus the HAVOC system built into it. This on the other hand is not a full blown radio but a Android system integrated into a Radio. So the cost will be down.

Example:Look at a Alpine unit. The 928HD, 8 inch. It does a TON of things and once you have the connections can do more. But yet this system is 1500$. No aftermarket will ever cost what the factory does, and the reason why Android style HU are becoming more popular because of all the different ways they can be setup for customization. If you really look at the aftermarket, more companies are trying to do just this. Hybrid Radio's and Tablets.
Old 4/29/13, 11:47 AM

@ninjak so the posting is an error on ottonavi's part? or does it not work with premium sound. i assume shaker would be the premium sound in mustangs no?
Old 4/29/13, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

The OttoNavi:UPDATE Pic Heavy

So....I have it. Arrive on Monday around 2. Caqme home grabing a sub, and there it was on my porch inside the pool wall. I guess the MY UPS does work ! Took a good look and it was package nicely. Brought it in and un Boxed it.

Hmmmmm.....

Ok....

Welll....ok...but its design in Korea ? Hmmmm

It was packaged well. Organized and everything nice and neat.

Getting it Unbox I took a look at the components first. Have to say they did a good job. The buuton feel was nice, did not feel cheap, felt OEM like...The screen looked good, and even the colour matched up for those of us with the charcoal interior.

The back of the unit is basically a Harness fest, two USB ports, a HDMI port, and the GPS connection.
Old 4/29/13, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oooooh ahhhhhhh

I'm so excited to hear a real review!
Old 4/29/13, 08:01 PM
GT Member

Man, I can't wait to see this project complete! VERY exciting product! I hope it loves up to the hype or at least won't be a complete letdown.
When do you think you will install it?
Old 4/29/13, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Obviously I can't answer for him, but I'd be putting it in right now!
Old 4/29/13, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

OttoNavi:Pic Heavy

The unit did not look bad at all. Was a solid piece, and not much bigger than the OEM unit it seemed. I received a free backup cam, but man..ITS HUGE !!!! I do not think I will use it....I'll take it to a few installers and get a pulse from them.

So out I go, to a few installers locally here, and they were interested in the system. They have never seen this so they were wondering how it would work. All agreed the back-up cam was huge. The install fees range from 125~150 .....so I decided since I was not using the back-up cam I could do it myself. I asked about how high the GPS antenna needed to be and the answer was on the dash, or just underneath...so I decided I could handle that as well, and save that 125~150.

So back to the fort. of course it starts to look like rain in the good ol MIA, but I forged ahead anyway. I grabed my tools, (lol a ratched screwdriver and my screw/sockets for it) and went to Roxxy. The first thing was to remove the OEM, so I had to pull up the middle console, move to side, and remove the screws that hold the OEM panel in place. Easy.

Now that its exposed, Our Shaker 500 is basically 8 screws. Four to hold the LED panel, Four to hold in our Radio. Two harnesses. Easy.

So I removed the radio and the LED and put them in the house. Mow its time to work on the new unit. This is when I discovered that THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS !!!!!!!!!! WOW REALLY ????? Well no worries. Its all pretty easy and self explained really. Looking at the OEM, I figured how the brackets went on. Just like the OEM unit.

So with that done, I did a test fit, and perfect. So far so good. Now for the harnesses. I read thru the tabs on each and lined up what was needed. Everything was clearly marked in Sesame street letters....so lol no screw ups here. The harnesses only plugged in one way so problems there as well. There are no RCA's to hook up, so the RCA's just stay. One nice thing was dust covers for all the RCA's so it was all nice and neat. Nice touch.

So now that I have this all in place its time to do a test on the main panel. Well.....now here is when it stop being easy........
Old 4/29/13, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

OttoNAvi: Pic Heavy

Well it was all going sooooooo well. I grabbed the H/U unit, and did a test fit. It seemed a bit off going in, so I did not force it. I tried the power, and the unit did not come on.....Oh OH. So I pulled it, and took it inside. I double checked the main unit, and all was good. I came inside and took a closer look at the H/U board. Upon close inspection I found this.....

Bent pins.......GAH !!!!! Hmm I think one of the installers may had done it, while he was looking he took it out of the plastic and placed it monitor up on a work bench. The pins are on that side, and that is where the could have been bent because it was on a angle. Well no worries. I am a system engineer, so bent pins are a way of life. Grabbed some more trusty tools and went to work.

Pins fixed I went back out and CAREFULLY installed the H/U unit. Everything lined up, and it slid in much easier this time. I turned the key and hit the power button. Houston we have ignition !

Satisfied with how everything lined up and doing a dry test of the GPS signal, I went and buttoned up the system. I have to say it all fit quite nicely together. It truly looks OEM, and I was surprised on how well they pulled it off. So its in. It works. Now its time for the real testing.

Up next, OttoNovi: The GOOD, The BAD, The UGLY!!
Old 4/29/13, 08:42 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if nothing else it looks really good.

Was poking around and saw one reference saying that an upgrade to android 4.0 was possible but it didn't go into detail.
Old 4/29/13, 09:26 PM
Banned

I emailed them today. ...

I'm curious about your Nav unit you have for the 10-14 Ford Mustangs.

I have the Shaker Pro which of course is the best radio, having a factory sub. *How would I retain that?

Will I able to retain any of the factory bluetooth features? i.e. have my phone route calls through the bluetooth?

I also have the comfort package which includes heated seats. *How will I retain the use of them? *Is that what the blank spots are for on your faceplate?

Will there be any future releases with more robust hardware/improved screen resolution, or even a more modern OS like android 4.0?

---------------

Hello,

This unit does work for the Shaker sound system but not sure if the Shaker PRO will be a difference.

It have its own Bluetooth program and internal microphone. You can make phone calls and stream music from your phone. However it does not support SYNC.

The blank spot is for the heated seat option in the future but currently they have not come out with the software yet.

There will be a OS update in the future to Android 4.0

------------------

That being said, I'm waiting for better software and hardware. Android 4.0 minimum, 1280x720 IPS, dual core processor and compatibility with the comfort package.

Looks great though. Boot time has to be horrendous though.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 4/29/13 at 09:27 PM.
Old 4/29/13, 09:41 PM
Bullitt Member

OttoNavi: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Well the Unit is in. It works. Well time to see what it can do.

THE GOOD
1:Package: Well this unit is pretty nice. Does not have a cheap feel. It also has a built in 4g H/D and also has a SD slot. The H/U panel comes with a USB slot in the front and the bottom of it, and the system brought all the USB cables with it. The screen is clear,it looks good. It displys in HD so I guess it its not surprising it shows well. Very nice. It comes with a remote, but I need a circular battery, that they did not supply...REALLY ??? (Bad) But the usb cables and a stylus makes up for that.

2. OS: The Android OS that is on the system is gingerbread 2.3.4. The system runs pretty well. Actually its quite fast. The boot up does not take that long, I seen Kenwoods take longer, and you can put the Ford logo, (or any logo really) up while it boots. It snaps into Android, and your ready rock. I think I could even change the desktop on this, but I am not going to mess it with it.....for now.....

3. APPS: This unit is interesting. It is actually like a tablet or phone more than a radio. It behaves JUST like a phone/Tablet. Is that good ? or Bad....well it depends. The good is that it has Wi-Fi built in. Hell it has 3g/4g built in. It literally can run off a phone acct. So I decided to hook it to my wi-fi and see what it does. It runs fine. Hell I decided well let me attach my google acct. With some of these radios, you have to be rooted.....not on this puppy. Google acct activated, and it's time to download. Lol I can download every app on my GS3 to this radio. Dam...thats not bad. So later I will be setting up some GOOD apps. Some of the apps the Radio comes with, well suck. But lol, nothing Google Play will not fix.

4. NAVIGATION: This unit comes with Igo installed. I have never used it, but it works very well. It has 3d/2d views and it seems OttoNavi gave it the newest US maps. Driving with it on, it updates pretty fast. Faster than I thought it could. Has speed, signs, ect.....all of the things that the other Nav units bring. Turn on a hotspot and switch to Google Live. Traffic and all the things it brings, right at your fingertips. Not bad, not bad at all.

5. HAVOC CONTROLS: very cool. It says what its doing on screen, and its a nice looking icon and nothing cheesy looking. It responds fast, and I was surprised again just how well the unit does.

6. SOUND: Sounds as good as the OEM, actually a little louder. Download a dsp EQ app, and your golden. No complaints here.

Overall the system run pretty smooth. I was surprised by it really. Also with it being fully unlocked, there are a plethora of things I could do to it.....This is a good thing. But now on to the Bad..

THE BAD

1.DVD: Well it does not work. It loads the cd/dvd, but then it pops it in and out, and then eventually spits it out. Not sure whats wrong there, not a huge deal as I use digital media, but still.....going to call tomorrow on it.

2.HAVOC CONTROLS: Well it may be nick picky, but a blue led light is supposed to light up when I use a control. it does not. I have a call in on this as well. The screen says on and off, but I want my lights dammit ! The rest of the unit lights up, including the havoc controls regular lights, just not the Havoc control leads.

3. SCREEN: Ok I hate the touch on the screen. It responds well for direct touches, much like the Fords Nav screen like in my Explorer, but swiping on tis screen SUCKS BIG TIME. maybe its my big fingers....hell I do not know. But when I try to swipe, it just does not happen like I want to. I set the calibration, and that helped, A lot actually, but dam did that screen not **** me off. I will say this, I should not have to swipe a lot, once the screen is set, and apps set, and the remote has a swipe on it, so no big deal. But still I wish I could get this thing to swipe easier.

4. APPS: Ok some of these apps straight up sucks bloody A**...I mean I can tell this unit was for Europe or more precise the mid east, because there is a Quaran app...(Well actually the book said so, but it was removed.) So meh, but the other apps need help. The RADIO is the first one to go. The BT Phone app sucks as well, its out of here....and I will go through and find the other ones that suck. But as I said earlier, its ANDROID !!!! Nothing the market will not fix.

Overall a few glitches I can live with. THough the DVD thing WILL GET FIXED....I could care less if I never use it, I want it to work. Tomorrow I will see whats what.The screen I will adjust to, and the apps, well you know what I said about that. Now to the Ugly

THE UGLY:

1. DIRECTIONS: Where the hell are they ???????? Heck the book explaining the apps are not much better. I caled and told them, "Hey in the US, we like to READ STUFF" They said they have a instruction kit coming. I will say they do have install vids up on you tube.

THE FINAL WORD

I would say I am pleased with the overall package. Besides the glitches I stated, the biggest being my non working DVD, the over all package is nice. The Unit responds fast, and with a tweak or two, it will be even better. The fact it is a FULL ANDROID system is a HUGE PLUS. No root needed for this puppy. Also with the ease of install, its worth the price of admission. It behaves like a tablet or more-so a phone. The screen is clear, and its not slow. I think the slow-mes is when it loads a dvd...and the transition, but of course I cannot test it. App wise, it works pretty fast.

The sound is good, and best of all it looks OEM. I plan on getting it better customized, but I wanted to get this up so you guys could read it. So in the end is it worth the coin ? I think so. If you want a tablet style radio, its for you. If you want something that does a radio and Nav, its for you. If you are not comfy with android, then it may not be good for you, because it behaves exactly like a android device, down to having things in the system tray.

So there you have it. I am going to snap a few more pics, and I'll add them later, after I customize it more.

Last edited by Ninjak; 4/29/13 at 09:46 PM.
Old 4/29/13, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle

I have the Shaker Pro which of course is the best radio, having a factory sub. *How would I retain that?

Will I able to retain any of the factory bluetooth features? i.e. have my phone route calls through the bluetooth?

I also have the comfort package which includes heated seats. *How will I retain the use of them? *Is that what the blank spots are for on your faceplate?

Will there be any future releases with more robust hardware/improved screen resolution, or even a more modern OS like android 4.0?

---------------

Hello,

This unit does work for the Shaker sound system but not sure if the Shaker PRO will be a difference.

It have its own Bluetooth program and internal microphone. You can make phone calls and stream music from your phone. However it does not support SYNC.

The blank spot is for the heated seat option in the future but currently they have not come out with the software yet.

------------------

That being said, I'm waiting for better software and hardware. Android 4.0 minimum, 1280x720 IPS, dual core processor and compatibility with the comfort package.

I would say it works with a SHaker Pro. It has 4 RCA inputs, so if that is the same RCA that are not hooked in the regular shaker 500, there are inputs. The rest I think will come, Hell I am looking at doing 4.0 right now......
Old 4/29/13, 09:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Soooo happy to have read this. It seems like it's really difficult to get a decent review on things lately, especially non name brand things.

This seems like a very nice product, especially since you mentioned that you can essentially download different apps to replace the shortcomings of the factory installed apps.

Do you think you can post a video of the start up of the unit and the new apps you installed so we can check it out?

Thanks!
Old 4/29/13, 09:54 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who woulda thought "Otto Navi" would be good?

Great job! and great review!
Old 4/29/13, 09:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by G Wrecks
Soooo happy to have read this. It seems like it's really difficult to get a decent review on things lately, especially non name brand things.

This seems like a very nice product, especially since you mentioned that you can essentially download different apps to replace the shortcomings of the factory installed apps.

Do you think you can post a video of the start up of the unit and the new apps you installed so we can check it out?

Thanks!
I'll Try to get one up soon. So far so good, I am going to start looking at replacing apps. I want to see what happens with my CD/DVD though before I go to far. Will probably get some stuff up tomorrow. Driving Roxxy to the office, so i'll be using Nav and a few other things. Oh something I left out. It automactically goes to screen mode when you go into reverse. So all you need is a back-up cam.

Last edited by Ninjak; 4/29/13 at 10:08 PM.
Old 4/29/13, 10:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ninjak
Getting it Unbox I took a look at the components first. Have to say they did a good job. The buuton feel was nice, did not feel cheap, felt OEM like...The screen looked good, and even the colour matched up for those of us with the charcoal interior.
i love how it looks so close to stock.
Old 4/29/13, 10:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great though.

As much as I want it now, I'm going to wait for the same thing. Mostly because I don't want to lose my heated seats.
Old 4/30/13, 03:54 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the review!

Originally Posted by G Wrecks

As much as I want it now, I'm going to wait for the same thing. Mostly because I don't want to lose my heated seats.
Can you confirm if heated seats work? That would be a deal breaker for me...
Old 4/30/13, 06:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

---------------

Hello,

------------------

No doubt. If this were 4.0 and had heat seat support I would have bought it already.

PS: You say the unit isn't from the US. If true the DVD issue you're having could be a region lock. And if that's the case, you won't find a fix.

Last edited by Rando; 4/30/13 at 06:17 AM.
Old 4/30/13, 06:34 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about making the steering wheel controls work?

Quick Reply: otto navi?