Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Darkside Build Begins

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/16, 03:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
In my case, the car is registered in a county that doesn't require emissions testing. So I'm good for now... My concern is future changes to the local law.

Would headers be legal with factory cats? It probably wouldn't do any good to have the headers though...

Last edited by crjackson; 4/14/16 at 03:49 PM.
Old 4/14/16, 04:02 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,610 Posts
Originally Posted by crjackson2134
I have, and I'd love one, but the problem is getting it installed locally. There is a very reputable Mustang shop locally and he installs nearly everything but the D.O.B. kit and doesn't want to make the jump. He's also a ProCharger, VMP, Roush dealer and has done several hundred of these installs.

I haven't made my final decision, it just that I'm loving the programability of the Procharger. If I get said shop to do the install, it'll be either the Procharger or the VMP stage 2.
If your local shop also installs the VMP and Roush kits.. I don't quite understand why they wouldn't be familiar with the D.O.B kit.. As the kit pretty much uses the same OEM parts for the Shelby GT500 and is also similar to both the VMP and Roush kits to begin with anyhow..

But either way you really can't go wrong with the Roush, VMP and ProCharger kits, as their all excellent choices as well
Old 4/14/16, 04:21 PM

In my case, the car is registered in a county that doesn't require emissions testing. So I'm good for now... My concern is future changes to the local law.
If your law changes ? You can still get around it if your state has an emissions exemption law for putting 5000 miles or less per year on your vehicle..

Otherwise you would just re-install your factory catted mid-pipe each year prior to emissions inspection..

Would headers be legal with factory cats? It probably wouldn't do any good to have the headers though...
As long as your factory cats are still in place, you should still be able to pass emissions with aftermarket headers.. Just make certain your rear 02 sensors are not turned off in the tune or your car will not pass..

However if your looking into long tube headers, I would recommend upgrading to high-flow cats, as you wouldn't be able to re-use your factory mid-pipe with long tubes anyhow..
Old 4/14/16, 05:38 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,201 Posts
The guy that's going to do the header/SC/Tune assures me that it will pass emissions testing (going with the catted H as mentioned). He said the rear O2's will be active and working, and it will pass both OBD2 and sniff testing when done. Given his local following / reputation, I have no reason to doubt him.
That's a great piece of mind! Awesome.
Old 4/14/16, 05:40 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
The only other option, is to re-install the factory OEM catted mid-pipe every year prior to emissions inspection..
Yeah,....that is a pain in the ***** to do every once a year. lol
Luckily his tuner can get around it with the tune and be good to go!
Old 4/14/16, 09:02 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
That's the claim and actually the promise, so it's encouraging to say the least. Now I'll just need the proof. He said he doesn't ever use the packaged tunes, and that's one of the reasons. It's apparently very time consuming to work this voodoo so it'll be expensive, but discounted when you buy the whole package from him. His prices are competitive with most everyone's.

Last edited by crjackson; 4/14/16 at 09:06 PM.
Old 4/15/16, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Finding a local tuner who's willing to work with you is the key.. As I'm sure that an aftermarket high-flow cat will pass the OBDII test providing the rear 02 sensors remain turned on..

However when it comes to dealerships, most of them are by the book and will fail your car through the visual inspection, if they notice the stock mid-pipe has been changed..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/15/16 at 01:49 PM.
Old 4/15/16, 01:57 PM

That's the claim and actually the promise, so it's encouraging to say the least. Now I'll just need the proof. He said he doesn't ever use the packaged tunes, and that's one of the reasons. It's apparently very time consuming to work this voodoo so it'll be expensive, but discounted when you buy the whole package from him. His prices are competitive with most everyone's.
I really don't think you'll have any issues.. Seems to me that your tuner values you as a loyal customer who appreciates your business..

Therefore IMHO.. It think it's pretty safe to assume that your tuner will honor his commitment by keeping his word and promises to you
Old 4/15/16, 02:07 PM
V6 Member

He spent many years working for Ford. He said that if I have any backwash warranty or inspection wise, he can take care of it with a quick phone call. Several of the local dealers send work his way when they can't handle it. I went as far as calling the mentioned dealerships to check his references and he didn't mind or get offended. He said he respected the due diligence and hopes I'll join the bandwagon that endorses his business.
Old 4/15/16, 02:20 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Good, just make sure to get it in writing for proof,.................just in case!
Old 4/15/16, 03:12 PM

He spent many years working for Ford. He said that if I have any backwash warranty or inspection wise, he can take care of it with a quick phone call. Several of the local dealers send work his way when they can't handle it. I went as far as calling the mentioned dealerships to check his references and he didn't mind or get offended. He said he respected the due diligence and hopes I'll join the bandwagon that endorses his business.
Seems like your in very good hands then.. In the meantime keep us all posted and let us know how everything is going..

-Rocky
The following users liked this post:
crjackson (4/15/16)