5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

302 boss intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/13, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by conv_stang

What mods are done to your car? A stock boss has been proven to be 2-3 tenths quicker than a stock GT
We are both completely stock. He does pull slightly past 120mph to be fair. But the difference isn't significant at all. Now at the track it's a different story. He cranks his shocks to 5 all around and hits 3-5 seconds faster than me.

Now just curious because I'm newish here, when you say "proven" I assume you mean that the same driver on the same track on the same night back to back ran a boss than a gt and the difference was 2-3 tenths right??? Because if it wasn't that exact scenario I call bs. WAAAAAY too many variables to say that. I speak from several runs straight up.

Last edited by typesredline; 4/30/13 at 10:04 PM.
Old 4/30/13, 10:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by chadr0
with this mod know that you WILL lose some low end power (although a good tune and supporting mods can make it negligible) and also that red-lining ANY engine repeatedly and frequently is not the best thing for it if you want reliability and longevity.
I have to disagree with these two things. Supporting mods and a good tune don't make the loss negligible. They just put you back to where you were. I get that you could have a tq number of let's say 100. And after adding the boss mani, LT's and a tune you're still at 100. But that's still a LOSS folks. Because LT's and a tune with the stock mani might have you at 120.

Also redlining a stock motor at the stock redline is perfectly fine. It is designed to handle a bit higher than that. The shape of the retainers on the valve springs are the main factor here. They control PtoV clearance based on height. The stock Coyote should be able to handle around 72-7300 safely. So the 6900 redline is perfectly safe. But once you start hitting 7500+ regardless if you make power there, you start causing wear on the bottom end, valve springs, the oil pump will start to cavitate the oil, etc.

To each their own. I just don't see the value.