Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

302 boss intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/13, 09:23 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no low end loss. Of course I have mods that compliment each other.
Old 4/26/13, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by am5.oh
It's awesome! If you get a good enough tune you won't lose any tq at all. I was at 397 380 w just intake and tune, after LTs and manifold I'm at 423 and "380" tq!!
So how is it that you have the same tq number after adding the manifold and LT's that you lost no tq? The LT's are what ate up the loss.
Old 4/26/13, 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by V10KLZZ71S
I have no low end loss. Of course I have mods that compliment each other.
I don't quite understand how that can be said. With different length runners there will be tq loss, period. And in my experience it is noticeable. Bottom line is that with other mods you may still net an increase. However your tq would be higher with the factory mani.

On a personal note I don't trust the coyote to run that high. The boss motor has a lot more than a different manifold. It holds more oil in the pan, has different cams and stronger parts for one.

Last edited by typesredline; 4/26/13 at 12:53 PM.
Old 4/26/13, 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by typesredline

I don't quite understand how that can be said. With different length runners there will be tq loss, period. And in my experience it is noticeable. Bottom line is that with other mods you may still net an increase. However your tq would be higher with the factory mani.

On a personal note I don't trust the coyote to run that high. The boss motor has a lot more than a different manifold. It holds more oil in the pan, has different cams and stronger parts for one.
Think it only holds more oil because of the oil cooler. Even still, I love the boss manifold cosmetically. As for performance, there may be some meat on the bone up top, but I'd rather not have to rev it so high to get there.
Old 4/26/13, 06:05 PM
V6 Member

The intake by itself is not the only trq maker. I have very free flowing exhaust plus all the other things in my sig and I have no low end loss. Low end trq is created in an engine thru velocity of air in and out at lower rpms. Velocity is the key, apparently I have that. I spin mine 7400 often.
Old 4/27/13, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

On a manual its been my experience that 3.73's , o/r X or H , Boss Mani, CAI will net you the most from stock with the boss intake and will be a blast to drive. A TB wouldn't hurt either and the more power mods you add the manifold's torque loss becomes negligible if any at all. I can roast the tires in 1-3 gears if I so desired and catch 4th on the interstate during high rpm shifting,Plus it looks awesome. I think If you just threw this manifold on a stock car and tuned for it you would not be happy with it you have to have supporting mods .....just my .02. I completed my engine bay with the Boss and heres a pic.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 4/27/13, 12:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Burke985
On a manual its been my experience that 3.73's , o/r X or H , Boss Mani, CAI will net you the most from stock with the boss intake and will be a blast to drive. A TB wouldn't hurt either and the more power mods you add the manifold's torque loss becomes negligible if any at all. I can roast the tires in 1-3 gears if I so desired and catch 4th on the interstate during high rpm shifting,Plus it looks awesome. I think If you just threw this manifold on a stock car and tuned for it you would not be happy with it you have to have supporting mods .....just my .02. I completed my engine bay with the Boss and heres a pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

DING DING Winner!!!! You have it figured out!
Old 4/27/13, 03:39 PM
GT Member

So how is it that you have the same tq number after adding the manifold and LT's that you lost no tq? The LT's are what ate up the loss.
Idk you would have to ask Bob Kurgan, he tuned it.
Old 4/28/13, 07:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by steven46746
Is the motor safe to rev that far in stock form?
I don't think so personally. In a previous life I was very big into the Honda scene. I can tell you the even when done properly, higher revs can kill the motor over time.

I've changed the redline from 7900 to 9000 before, and done it with cams, valve springs and retainers to properly hold them. But over time I found issues with chain tensioners, oil pump, etc.

Keep in mind that the Boss CAR was many upgrades that people for some reason seem to forget. So bottom line is that even tuned, you get a bit more HP and TQ for a whole 1500 rpms up top. Under that you loose TQ and under 5k you loose HP. The extra 500 rpms till shift point aren't even enough of a gap to say that less shifts will make you faster. I run dead even with a 302. Is it worth it??
Attached Thumbnails 302 boss intake manifold-image-2192261414.jpg  
Old 4/28/13, 08:35 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I don't think so personally. In a previous life I was very big into the Honda scene. I can tell you the even when done properly, higher revs can kill the motor over time.

I've changed the redline from 7900 to 9000 before, and done it with cams, valve springs and retainers to properly hold them. But over time I found issues with chain tensioners, oil pump, etc.

Keep in mind that the Boss CAR was many upgrades that people for some reason seem to forget. So bottom line is that even tuned, you get a bit more HP and TQ for a whole 1500 rpms up top. Under that you loose TQ and under 5k you loose HP. The extra 500 rpms till shift point aren't even enough of a gap to say that less shifts will make you faster. I run dead even with a 302. Is it worth it??
What mods are done to your car? A stock boss has been proven to be 2-3 tenths quicker than a stock GT
Old 4/28/13, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And yet many have raised their redline that high and have had no issues. Comparing a Honda to a Mustang is pointless.
Old 4/28/13, 12:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
And yet many have raised their redline that high and have had no issues. Comparing a Honda to a Mustang is pointless.
Well he did say over time, not a month later.
Old 4/28/13, 05:27 PM
V6 Member

I think the Boss Mani discussion is turning into another 'which CAI is the best' discussion. My two cents: if you want it, get it, whether for cosmetic reasons or because you want the top end power. It's your car, do what you want with it, make it your own, that's part of the beauty of owning a Mustang.

However, with this mod know that you WILL lose some low end power (although a good tune and supporting mods can make it negligible) and also that red-lining ANY engine repeatedly and frequently is not the best thing for it if you want reliability and longevity.

For me personally, with 3.73s, a good tune, and a vortech supercharger on the way, it's a good way to really dress up the engine bay and add some top end hp without really noticing the low end torque loss, so I'll probably be picking one up.

The overarching message of my post: do your research, figure out want you want and why you want it, then do what you wish in order to make your car the car you want it to be.
Old 4/28/13, 11:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
So you picked up 26 rwhp and 0 rwtq with the addition of longtubes and the Boss intake? That's really not impressive at all. Who's tune?
SCT...tuned by Bob Kurgan and idc if your impressed or not, ok bye!
Old 4/29/13, 01:21 PM

Boss 302 intake

I install my boss intake with a steeda cai with bama tune but I'm getting a whistling noise when i accelerate

Last edited by sherifdude; 5/29/15 at 06:50 PM.
Old 4/29/13, 01:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sherifdude
I install my boss intake with a steeda cai with bama tune but I'm getting a whistling noise when i accelerate
Turbo?
Old 4/29/13, 01:32 PM

I wish
Old 4/29/13, 01:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I wish
Sounds like something isn't secured. Recheck all the hoses
Old 4/30/13, 02:20 PM
V6 Member

If it's an actual whistle (like a high pitched whine), check all the hoses/fittings and make sure everything is secure, it could just be the suction sound of the Steeda CAI that you're not used to.

If it's the CAI, do a sound tube delete and you won't hear it so much. Plus, it will clean up the look of your already great looking engine bay.

Last edited by chadr0; 4/30/13 at 02:22 PM.
Old 4/30/13, 09:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by steven46746

Well he did say over time, not a month later.
Exactly. I'm talking over 5 yrs and 50k miles later, don't get me wrong. But the point is that raising the redline WILL have an impact on motor life and it WILL be noticeable. The remaining question is not if but when.

Quick Reply: 302 boss intake manifold