Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hood Rusting On My 05 !

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/10, 01:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Flagstang Team Mustang Source

Adrian

Car: Mustang GT
Old 3/14/10, 03:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by lsanch33
The bubbles you see on these hoods is not corrosion. During the paint process in the assembly plant, the vehicles are dipped in e-coat (aka ED, electrocoat paint). This is primarly for the steel panels (the aluminum hood is installed with the steel body shell (it is going along for the ride basically). The wet ecoated body is then baked to 350degF to cure the ecoating dry. If the oven is not setup correctly, or the panel hem is not designed correctly, the ecoating paint can "boil out" of the hems during the bake process causing the crusted boil defect shown . . . . . the assembly plant should sand these "boils" out prior to basecoat application, but when the plant is lazy they will tend to just paint over the boil! Obviously the basecoat over crusted boiled ecoat will not adhere or "stick" very well either. Hopefully the new 2011 hoods have a better hem design to prevent the issue from occuring in the 1st place.
Then this is a class actionable suit problem. Their technique causes the issue, therefore, it's a negligence issue, and as such, no owner should have to endure paying for the repair on a factory paint job when the shoddy, lazy factory painting process produces the issue. Thank you for this information.

As such, Ford should offer to *properly repaint*, for free, one time, any hood on any S197 that is found to produce the problem per the TSB, if they are out of warranty.

I would fall into that category, btw...

I don't suppose you have any hard evidence or documentation regarding this statement, do you?
Old 3/14/10, 03:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

like pic's before I had mine fixed , at least I think it was.
Old 3/14/10, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Do all cars with aluminum panels have this issue, and if so, is it standard practice by the original painters to not stand by their work?

There's a class action if the answer is 'no' here... Why should we, after 3 or 4 years, need to pay to repaint hoods simply because they don't know how to paint them right in the first place?

I don't wanna screw Ford, but then, we're being screwed if we're paying for what is in effect a bad factory paint job.

Any lawyers got a take on this?

/just found another bubble on mine... and it's crawling topside.
I have a 2004 Honda S2000 that has an aluminum hood. I've got 45,000 on it and have no paint issues, of course the car is parked when the weather is bad. I hope Ford gets this figured out, I'm looking at switching to a Mustang later this year.
Old 3/18/10, 10:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They need to go back to a Composite (plastic/fiberglass) hood like the '94-04. '99-04 took it one step further and had a Composite trunk lid too. I was quite pleased with these panels !!

Sure it would be a little heavier than the aluminum one and maybe cost a bit more, but not having to deal with warrenty corrosion issues and p*ssed-off customers would be well worth it.

After 16 years and 340k miles of year-round driving SN-95's, I can't wait to deal with this on my new '11 !!

Doug
Old 3/19/10, 09:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Lookin forward to your report in the near future Doug ! With any luck they'll have it figured out by then.
Old 3/20/10, 10:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Not that that'll be nifty... but what does that do for me and others like me with the current Al hoods?
Old 3/22/10, 06:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm 99.9% sure Ford still has the AL hood on the '10 and the '11 too, and I'm pretty sure they don't plan on switching back anytime soon due to the weight penalty.

They sure bragged up all the PRO's on the switch from Composite to Aluminum hood swap in 2005 !! Only PRO I saw was the lighter weight, everything else about it had me concerned and rightly so after reading through this NINE PAGE thread !!

Doug
Old 3/22/10, 07:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Lookin forward to your report in the near future Doug ! With any luck they'll have it figured out by then.
Whatever changes Ford has done to the hoods between 2005 and 2011 to eliminate the problem is probably pretty minimal ...we'll see.
I was seriously considering putting a :gay:hood deflector on my '11 to cut down on the stone chips durring the winter. But I think this could make matters worse for the hood edge by trapping moisture right where the problem is.

I wonder if you could mask-off and spray some bed-liner or something similar on this underside area to permanently seal it off and protect it ... hmmmmm ??

Then do the typical 3M clear bra on the top side of hood and fenders to protect from the stone chips.

Doug
Old 3/22/10, 07:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
Whatever changes Ford has done to the hoods between 2005 and 2011 to eliminate the problem is probably pretty minimal ...we'll see.
I was seriously considering putting a :gay:hood deflector on my '11 to cut down on the stone chips durring the winter. But I think this could make matters worse for the hood edge by trapping moisture right where the problem is.

I wonder if you could mask-off and spray some bed-liner or something similar on this underside area to permanently seal it off and protect it ... hmmmmm ??

Then do the typical 3M clear bra on the top side of hood and fenders to protect from the stone chips.

Doug
2005 to 2011 my car is an 07 GT/CS & I got it ! or had it !
Old 3/25/10, 05:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
My corrosion warranty is up in a month, and I also have rust bubbles on my hood lip.

I am phoning around and getting different answers, but all say no coverage unless it is perforated.

For those that got them to do this for them, what exactly do I need to know and say to them to get them to fix this?

Cheers
Old 3/28/10, 10:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Mine started a year ago, and now it's spread from the underside to the front where you can see it. This is rediculous on a 4 year old car! My dealer originally told me to write a letter to Ford, and thought I' dhave some luck getting them to pay for a repaint. I never got around to writing it because I honestly didn't think it'd work.
Old 3/28/10, 10:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I just sent them an inquiry. Let's see how long it takes them to respond, shall we?
Old 3/28/10, 12:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
Mine started a year ago, and now it's spread from the underside to the front where you can see it. This is rediculous on a 4 year old car! My dealer originally told me to write a letter to Ford, and thought I' dhave some luck getting them to pay for a repaint. I never got around to writing it because I honestly didn't think it'd work.
What would you have to lose by writing the letter? You've defeated yourself before getting started.
Old 3/29/10, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, not really. Ford has replied to my inquiry thusly:

"Tough. Suck it."

Well, they didn't actually use those words, they used a whole lot of other ones, some completely unlrelated to the topic (I'm not real sure, for example, what the NHTSA has to do with this, but whatever.)

It was very polite, as was I, and in two responses, I got one of two questions answered:

1) "Is it an acceptable industry standard for paint on aluminum body panels to bubble up and fall off after 3-4 years?" - Unknown.

2) "Is is acceptable that the owner is responsible for a BAD FACTORY PAINT JOB?" - Yes.

Again, a *whole* lotta mellifluous words were used, but that's the bottom line: "Tough. Suck it."

---

And with that, I just wrote off future Ford buying. Quality isn't Job 1, or I wouldn't have bubbles. Screw 'em.

/will enjoy my car nonetheless, but it will be the last late model Ford I ever buy... as of this writing, pending them fixing it if they choose to.
//If we have to sue them? No dice, I'm out.
///overreacting? Hardly. Not the first non-quality Ford issue I've had with them... kinda tired of it.
Old 3/29/10, 09:07 PM
Cobra Member

Have you posted photos of your bubbling?
Actually your dealer should be able to help some with this as well. It's in their interest too to keep you as a returning customer.
Old 3/29/10, 09:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I cant believe you guys are having trouble having this fixed. I know several people that had there hoods fixed from Ford for free !!.... Its a engineering process mistake like the post from sombody above..
If I can be any help with proof from other who had this fixed let me know..
Old 3/30/10, 08:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, I'm lettin' ya know: You can be of some help. Could ya just post it here anyway? We'd all be so very grateful, I'm sure. I know I would be.
Old 3/31/10, 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Yes, please post. I need the help too.
Old 3/31/10, 06:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Paint just flaked off the top side of the center of the rear lip area of her hood... That so sucks, y'all. Factory paint that sucks is... sucky.

Well, actually, it doesn't suck, because if it did, it would still be there.

Sigh...

Quick Reply: Hood Rusting On My 05 !