Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hood Rusting On My 05 !

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/08, 02:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It appears the dealers (some of them) are blowing this off. I would suggest we write letters, and send dated photos of the "bubbling" seams along with the letter. Do not send the letter to Customer Service, but to Ford Global Hqtrs, in MI. Perhaps if they are swamped with letters and photos, they will get the idea they have a block of unhappy owners out here.

Or, how many of us are members of the Mustang Club of America? Perhaps writing a letter to MCA and asking it be passed to their connection(s) at Ford corporate, on behalf of everyone on this forum with the problem. A copy of this thread could be included.

You just have to get the right person's attention. If you do write a letter, keep it polite and business like. Send copies of your warranty service requests, if the dealer provided one to you. Works much better then screaming and yelling.
Old 3/12/08, 09:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, It's been 3 weeks and not a word from Ford. Nice customer service......I guess I am SOL...Just like the dealer told me....I am very disillusioned by this.
Old 3/12/08, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is unfortunate that the responses at Ford are so variable. I had noticed the "bubbles" at the leading edge of the underside of the hood this past summer but it wasn't until I came across this thread that I was able to pinpoint the problem. With a copy of the TSB listed early in the thread I went to Country Lincoln Mercury Ford of Huntington, NY. (I didn't buy this car from them, although I have purchased Grand Marquis' from them) The Body Shop manager Paul Neiderauer looked at the hood, the TSB and set up an appointment for this past Monday for a loaner and the repair. I picked up the car today, job well done, car cleaned, they even took care of some acid rain spots on the spoiler and the air bag recall. Kudos to this dealership.
Old 3/12/08, 11:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ya know what..Thats GREAT to hear...Im serious..All dealers should treat their customers like that. Suburban Ford in Victoria here has treated me like shiat. After spending a ton of money there. If all places treated their customers like your dealership Ford may actually make some cash.
Old 3/13/08, 11:30 AM
Cobra Member

Yikes, glad I found this my baby is getting a full inspection when I go home. I doubt I will let anyone I don't know fix this If I have this problem I will take it to my friend who owns a body shop and get it fixed.
Old 3/13/08, 10:28 PM
Cobra Member

You know I have pitting in the paint on the roof that I noticed when I waxed my car. I guess I'll take the TSB in with me and see what happens.
Old 3/30/08, 06:12 PM

I noticed this post a few weeks back...

... then I noticed this on my 2008 Grabber Orange GT today. The car is a 2008 delivered on 8/20/2007. The car has 1100 miles and has never seen rain or snow. In fact, I had put the car away before Thanksgiving 2007 because we had an early snow fall and they salted the streets.

I'll be talking to my dealer this coming Monday because I doubt this condition will get better. This bums me out.

Old 3/31/08, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by pschwind
... then I noticed this on my 2008 Grabber Orange GT today. The car is a 2008 delivered on 8/20/2007. The car has 1100 miles and has never seen rain or snow. In fact, I had put the car away before Thanksgiving 2007 because we had an early snow fall and they salted the streets.

I'll be talking to my dealer this coming Monday because I doubt this condition will get better. This bums me out.

Boy, does that look familiar! My 2006 also has the problem with the blistering/bubbling under the hood. This car has only 4105 miles and has never been driven in winter weather. I recently had the car at the dealer to address the recall and had them look at the hood. 2 individuals looked at the car and quickly assessed the condition as a sloppy application of a seam sealer. I even had a copy of TSB 06-25-25 which they showed little interest in seeing. Later in the day, they reaffirmed their conclusion that it was sealer. After all, they had checked a number of other Mustangs and they all had similar issues. I remain quite skeptical, but unsure of what to do. The servicing dealer, which is also where we bought the car is Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg, Md.
Old 4/1/08, 10:52 PM
V6 Member

Hood Rusting

HERE ARE SOME PIC OF MY 2007 GT/CS TAKING HER TOO DEALER WEDSDAY SEE WHAT HAPPENS
Attached Thumbnails Hood Rusting On My 05 !-100_3334.jpg   Hood Rusting On My 05 !-100_3335.jpg   Hood Rusting On My 05 !-100_3336.jpg   Hood Rusting On My 05 !-100_3338.jpg   Hood Rusting On My 05 !-100_3340.jpg  

Old 4/2/08, 01:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well it can't be rust, as Aluminium cannot rust so it can only be partly contaminations with iron particles of the specific spots on your cars.

I've got it too on:

- my hood
- my doors
- my trunk lid

and yes... IT SUCKS!

Here in Europe FMC is hiding behind Dearborn and tells us to contact the US. How funny is that? If you are not successful getting this resolved in the US, how shall we do this here in Europe? The next thing (if they would ever agree on fixing this on their budget) is probably to suggest shipping the car over to the closest dealership at the Eastcoast.

That is what I call excellent customer service.

Very disappointing.

Just a quick comment on the 'lets buy an aftermarket hood' discussions. So what about my doors, my trunk lid? This is all .

Ford should take responsibility and get this fixed. No further excuses!
Old 4/4/08, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ford knows about it as there is a TSB out for it. Mine is substantially worse as it has crept around to the outside of the hood all along the front lip. It has been more than 6 weeks now since I contacted Ford "customer service" and Ford has basically ignored this. Unless the 'corrosion' penetrates the metal within 5 years they will do nothing for me. Nice service !!! Once they have your money they basically ignore your problems. This has been an extremely disappointing experience with Ford. I will not buy a new Ford again...And I have been a Ford man all my life.
Old 4/4/08, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by flight96
Ford knows about it as there is a TSB out for it. Mine is substantially worse as it has crept around to the outside of the hood all along the front lip. It has been more than 6 weeks now since I contacted Ford "customer service" and Ford has basically ignored this. Unless the 'corrosion' penetrates the metal within 5 years they will do nothing for me. Nice service !!! Once they have your money they basically ignore your problems. This has been an extremely disappointing experience with Ford. I will not buy a new Ford again...And I have been a Ford man all my life.
Its really embarrassing what they do here. How can they totally ignore their own customers?
Old 4/4/08, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why is it only along seams?
Old 4/4/08, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by daniel92
Boy, does that look familiar! My 2006 also has the problem with the blistering/bubbling under the hood. This car has only 4105 miles and has never been driven in winter weather. I recently had the car at the dealer to address the recall and had them look at the hood. 2 individuals looked at the car and quickly assessed the condition as a sloppy application of a seam sealer. I even had a copy of TSB 06-25-25 which they showed little interest in seeing. Later in the day, they reaffirmed their conclusion that it was sealer. After all, they had checked a number of other Mustangs and they all had similar issues. I remain quite skeptical, but unsure of what to do. The servicing dealer, which is also where we bought the car is Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg, Md.
From past experience ( I recently retired as a body tech at a local dealership ) that is not corrosion , but rather , a small amount of factory pinch-weld sealant that oozed out when the outer door skin was crimped around the door box. True , it looks unsightly , but it may never change in appearance the whole time you own the car ! But if you tell them you want it fixed under warranty , they probably won't give you a hard time about it .
Old 4/4/08, 09:23 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by red pony
From past experience ( I recently retired as a body tech at a local dealership ) that is not corrosion , but rather , a small amount of factory pinch-weld sealant that oozed out when the outer door skin was crimped around the door box. True , it looks unsightly , but it may never change in appearance the whole time you own the car ! But if you tell them you want it fixed under warranty , they probably won't give you a hard time about it .
gotta strongly(and sadly) disagree here...I'll get pics of mine up too- the whole underside is blistered, halfway up the front of the hood- and it was NOT like that when I waxed it before putting it away for the winter...

3rd time out this spring, coming home on some backroads tonight I hit the gas a bit too hard going into second, lifted instead of pressing the clutch and rears skidded- offroad out in the sticks- banged into a rusty old chain link fence...so much for my 2 year old car not having a scratch on it...fender/bumper tore up, edge of hood scratched...at least nobody was hurt(alone- out in the middle of nowhere), but shoulda known better...got home and was checking out the damage and could NOT believe how bad the blistering/bubbling had raced under the paint while it just sat over the winter in the garage...
I scraped it bad enough Ford wont have to fix mine, but they are lucky I tore it up before noticing this or I'd be fuming at them right now more than myself...never had it out in the snow, kept it clean top and bottom, yet the friggin aluminum wasnt sealed along the edge and oxidation is creeping under the paint...theres a spot near the latch about 3" x 1" blistered all to hell- and it WAS NOT there last fall when I wiped down under the hood...

Last edited by ford4v429; 4/4/08 at 09:33 PM.
Old 4/4/08, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Knowledge is power . Let me help you .

Originally Posted by flight96
In the pictures that I have seen, you are entitled to a new hood from Ford . I am a retired body tech and have seen these conditions countless times before . The bubbles across the front outer leading edge do not appear to have holes in the paint . That being said, if no hole is in the paint, something pushed the paint from BENEATH the paint at metal-level . Moisture ! How did moisture get there ? If you were to pick open a bubble, about dead center of the bubble , you will find a very tiny pin hole in the metal . That is a perforation - or as we say,
rust-through ! Paint over it, and in weeks it will be back . An easy way to see if it is a hole is to take a dull pin punch and push on the tiny hole . If it is a hole, it will push through the metal, but it has to be a dull punch so they can't say you "pierced " the metal. --- Here is the game plan . First, go in and tell them you "suspect " a rust-through . Then, if you get the verbal run-around, you say to them "let's check this together right now ". Take a pocket knife and lay open the bubble. Even if you don't find a pin-hole , push the metal at the center of the bubble. Even if it doesn't go through, you will show them you have jewels the size of bowling ***** and won't take no for an answer. Then calmly but firmly ascert you want Ford to warranty a new hood .
Old 4/4/08, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
gotta strongly(and sadly) disagree here...I'll get pics of mine up too- the whole underside is blistered, halfway up the front of the hood- and it was NOT like that when I waxed it before putting it away for the winter...

3rd time out this spring, coming home on some backroads tonight I hit the gas a bit too hard going into second, lifted instead of pressing the clutch and rears skidded- offroad out in the sticks- banged into a rusty old chain link fence...so much for my 2 year old car not having a scratch on it...fender/bumper tore up, edge of hood scratched...at least nobody was hurt(alone- out in the middle of nowhere), but shoulda known better...got home and was checking out the damage and could NOT believe how bad the blistering/bubbling had raced under the paint while it just sat over the winter in the garage...
I scraped it bad enough Ford wont have to fix mine, but they are lucky I tore it up before noticing this or I'd be fuming at them right now more than myself...never had it out in the snow, kept it clean top and bottom, yet the friggin aluminum wasnt sealed along the edge and oxidation is creeping under the paint...theres a spot near the latch about 3" x 1" blistered all to hell- and it WAS NOT there last fall when I wiped down under the hood...
I was referring to the bottom of a steel door bottom of a yellow car in this post ,not a hood. flight96 has a lengthy answer to his issue.edit- my bad. yellow hood! It still looks like sealer tracks to me.

Last edited by red pony; 4/4/08 at 10:11 PM.
Old 4/4/08, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429

My apologies to you for not getting it right on the yellow hood in this post - you could be right . There is only one way to find out.Dig into it and see what it is. Aluminum is such a pain to use for body panels because it is more chemically reactive to corrosion than steel is. They use it because it's supposed to be lighter. Although, it still feels as heavy as steel to me. Unfortunately for you , that is a tough way to get a new hood . Sorry for your mishap .
Old 4/5/08, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

After reading last night's posts, this morning I found the same thing starting on my 08 GT/CS ! ! That is just too sad . Looks like a trip to the dealership on Monday . Almost 6200 miles on the car and it looks like my first and only issue with the car . This looks like the yellow hood in this post but not near as bad. I checked around with a magnet, and found that the hood is the only panel on the car made of aluminum . How retarded ! It seems FoMoCo just has to have something corroding in their cars -- why ?? When you spend 30,000+ on a car, you don't need to see this 4 months after its purchase . Not even 4 years ! The problem is getting chemical adhesion to the aluminum . Whatever they used is not bonding to the aluminum .
Old 4/5/08, 05:53 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
heres a pic of the corrosion on mine- its starting on the side seams too, but under 1/4" diameter blisters on the sides- this front area is like 3x1"
Attached Thumbnails Hood Rusting On My 05 !-06-hood-corrosion.jpg  

Quick Reply: Hood Rusting On My 05 !