Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hood Rusting On My 05 !

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/08, 07:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
I've seen this TSB before and I think it pertains to paint damage on the outside of the paint.
"This reaction creates an acid,causing the iron to corrode and etch into the paint"
The current problems relates to the metal surface prep prior to paint.
Just my take on it.
That is what my drivers door fell under I believe.
Old 2/26/08, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My salesman's motto is "I service what I sell". I showed him the problem, and we drove over to service together. We talked to a service writer who said other Ford's had been brought in with the same problem, only worse. As it is, it is covered under the 36/36. IF it had a hole, it would be covered 5 years 100,000 miles(I think 100,000). While I finished talking to the s/w, my salesman went inside and talked to the warranty clerk. She confirmed the TSB# I had given him. She also mentioned that Ford thought it had something to do with how owners were treating their cars. My salesman told me that he told her my car was well cared for, and could in no way be my fault. We all agreed to wait until May and have her fixed. My 36/36 is up 06-03-08.
Old 2/26/08, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello

I need to get a confirmation as to what i am looking for. I would describe it as welding splatter right at the seem where the panels roll to the back edge. With the worst parts are 1/4in bubbles near or on the seam

So far i have found spots on bolth doors the hood and trunk deck,

I guess my question is:

are the smaller specs that go across the seams considered the corrosion also? of just the larger bubbles?

so does this mean they are going to have to repaint the doors? if so will ford cover the cost to replace my graphics?

check you cars
Attached Thumbnails Hood Rusting On My 05 !-hood-3.jpg   Hood Rusting On My 05 !-pass-door-1.jpg   Hood Rusting On My 05 !-trunk1.jpg   Hood Rusting On My 05 !-trunk-2.jpg  
Old 2/26/08, 03:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

My bubbling is on BOTH the inside AND the outside of the hood lip. Go back to the first page of this thread and check the pics I posted. You can see that those are on the outside of the front of the hood. Now, that being said, there is a lot of that same stuff that you have in your pics on the inside of my hood as well.
Old 2/27/08, 12:12 AM

I wonder if the small bubbles following the seam is part of the manufacturing process or the corrosion.

you have it bad with it being on the topside. I am concerned if it does not get taken care of it may continue to spread to the outer edges.

That is pretty bad that ford will say your SOL if you over the 3-36 but if it creates a hole in the panel in 5-10000 then will cover it. really if its not actual rust then will it ever go through the panel or will it continue to just leave a trail of blistered paint all up and down the car? sounds like a good way for ford to get out of a warranty claim to me

this calls for a supper unhappy smile
Old 2/27/08, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Everyone keeps referring to it as rust, but it isn't really that. Mine looks more like the way aluminum flips over onto itself and is somehow welded or brazed together - however aluminum is bonded. No bubbling present, just a rather weird krinkled look along the seam under the hood. Well, if the recall for the restraint system comes through and mine is affected (it will be) I will have the dealership take a look. So far, they've been good to me - hope that continues. The car isn't 7 months old and it only has 2,278 on the odometer.
Old 2/27/08, 09:41 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by flight96
The more I see this the madder I get
If you would Send Me all your Contact info, Mileage on Vehicle and Vin Number My Service Manager will make some Contacts at Ford to Look into this. clevparts@aol.com

KC
Old 2/27/08, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks 05stangkc !! I will send you the info when I get home from work. I have contacted Ford customer service and she promised me that they would get back to me on Monday or Tuesday...Today is Wednesday....sooooooooo ???

And yes, JayHawk, I agree that it can't be rust. It's corrosion from whatever cause. The fact is, there is a problem. And a car 3 years old should not have this problem. I have only 24,777 KM's on this car and I am meticulous on keeping it clean.
Old 2/27/08, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

flight96, is your visible on the top side of the hood? I just have it underneath where the overlap occurs. It isn't bubbling, though. I am afraid if I take it to the dealer, they'll laugh at me for being obsessive. Maybe when I take it for the recall, we'll have a chat.
Old 2/27/08, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, Mine is bubbling in 3 or 4 different spots on the outside of the hood. If you look at post #6 in this thread you will see the pics. The thing is, it is just as bad on the other (Under)side. It's like the corrosion starts underneath then creeps to the top side.

And if you look at pic #1, you can see on that bubble that the paint has already started to crack from the bubbling. Meaning that now water/rain will get underneath it making it much worse.
Old 2/27/08, 03:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Isn't customer support wonderful? Nice way to treat customers. I bought an extended warranty for my '05 Focus and a month later the alternator needed to be replaced....lucky..... for me.

Building brand loyality is not something Ford seems to practice well. In the end we all make decisions based on the local guy.
Old 2/27/08, 06:47 PM

with mine being on the underside of the hood. I am afraid that over time 1-2-3-4 years it my travel and eventually get goto the top side of the panels.

I am going to take her in tomorrow and see what they have to say. My dad has a recall on his 00 F250. i will just go pick him up and talk to service. If they don't want to do anything about it i will make it clear that if i have issues a year or two down the road, then they will warranty or i will have to trade her off(not that i ever would, shes my first new car. i will have her tell i die)
Old 2/27/08, 11:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
If you would Send Me all your Contact info, Mileage on Vehicle and Vin Number My Service Manager will make some Contacts at Ford to Look into this. clevparts@aol.com

KC
Email sent....Thanks !
Old 2/29/08, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well...It's been a week since I called Ford and nothing !!! No response at all. What horrible customer service. And they wonder why they keep losing customers AND millions of dollars.
Old 3/2/08, 12:36 PM

Talked to service yesterday. After having to run it to the body shop they use. the guy i talked to said that the larger bubbles would have a good chance of being corrosion, but the smaller bubbles that follow the seam would probably be the epoxy that they bond the panels with. He went on to say that he could not say for sure if it is corrosion with out sanding it down and looking. So i went back and talked to the service manager and told him that the guy could not be for sure until he gets into it. The Service managers told me "well this is a slippery slope" If its not corrosion then he would have to charge me to do the work. He suggested i out line the bubbles with a pen and after 6 months see if they get bigger.

I told him that my warrenty was up in 4 months and he sees that the corrosion warrenty is good for 5yrs unlimited miles. I then said but according to that the panel has to get a hole in it to be covered and i told him being aluminum it wont go through the panel it will just keep blitering the paint.

He told me as long as they can say it was corrosion then they could fudge on the paperwork.

When i first talked to him he told me that he was sure it was not corrosion on the hood because it was plastic. He got a magnet out and said look it not metal. I said i think it is aluminum. I could not believe he said plastic. He could have said fiberglass and maybe, but no plastic. Then he goes on to say that there was not a issue with mustangs. I looked at him and said 06-25-15 thats the tsb. He ran off and came back with it printed out and say this is more or a tip. The way he read it was, if a car is goes in for body shoppe work and some one is grinding. Iron particles could get on the paint and it not cleaned off prior to painting then this is what could happen and what should be done. Ok so its not the fact that are aluminum supply is not as pure as it has been in the past. I have had a chrome full door that begin to pit after 6 months due to contamination in the aluminum and even les schwabe has reported that allot of chrome plated aluminum rims have pitted.

So any way i will look it to it in a few months
Old 3/3/08, 02:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOUR WARRANTY EXPIRES!!!! I'm not saying the dealer is trying to jack you but even if your condition worsens there is no guarantee they will fix it after your 3/36 expires. I would take it to another dealer if you can and get a 2nd opinion.

Originally Posted by Blustang05
Talked to service yesterday. After having to run it to the body shop they use. the guy i talked to said that the larger bubbles would have a good chance of being corrosion, but the smaller bubbles that follow the seam would probably be the epoxy that they bond the panels with. He went on to say that he could not say for sure if it is corrosion with out sanding it down and looking. So i went back and talked to the service manager and told him that the guy could not be for sure until he gets into it. The Service managers told me "well this is a slippery slope" If its not corrosion then he would have to charge me to do the work. He suggested i out line the bubbles with a pen and after 6 months see if they get bigger.

I told him that my warrenty was up in 4 months and he sees that the corrosion warrenty is good for 5yrs unlimited miles. I then said but according to that the panel has to get a hole in it to be covered and i told him being aluminum it wont go through the panel it will just keep blitering the paint.

He told me as long as they can say it was corrosion then they could fudge on the paperwork.

When i first talked to him he told me that he was sure it was not corrosion on the hood because it was plastic. He got a magnet out and said look it not metal. I said i think it is aluminum. I could not believe he said plastic. He could have said fiberglass and maybe, but no plastic. Then he goes on to say that there was not a issue with mustangs. I looked at him and said 06-25-15 thats the tsb. He ran off and came back with it printed out and say this is more or a tip. The way he read it was, if a car is goes in for body shoppe work and some one is grinding. Iron particles could get on the paint and it not cleaned off prior to painting then this is what could happen and what should be done. Ok so its not the fact that are aluminum supply is not as pure as it has been in the past. I have had a chrome full door that begin to pit after 6 months due to contamination in the aluminum and even les schwabe has reported that allot of chrome plated aluminum rims have pitted.

Old 3/3/08, 06:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
NO
They sell magnetic panels to put on the back.
OK, thanks...I haven't been looking for any magnetic panels, so I was not aware of this. If you would be so kind as to mention a product name, I will add to my knowledge base.

"I believe" is my standard qualifier for "I think I know but I could be wrong"

EDIT - Never mind...found one!
Old 3/3/08, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by flight96
Well...It's been a week since I called Ford and nothing !!! No response at all. What horrible customer service. And they wonder why they keep losing customers AND millions of dollars.
I am not sure why it is so hard these days to get reliable service. For them to say your warranty is up is a complete joke to me. Not only the auto section but, it seems like everywhere you go today you have to ask if anyone knows of a GOOD etc...They are all trained and we still have no Fiat in them...Keep us updated. This is a no brainer for them to fix PERIOD...
Old 3/3/08, 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blustang05

Again...Look how they read only what they want to hear...What a @@@@@ Joke. I really can not believe this...And Plastic??? This guy has no clue on what Planet he is on...Just shows you how stupid they are...No Customer service at all...Go somewhere else, I can not believe what I am hearing...Keep us updated...
Old 3/5/08, 09:04 PM
V6 Member

flight96

Don't take it personally. I got the same "warm fuzzy feeling" from the Carson group of dealers ("Less than" Uban Motors and Glen "wood" Ford) even when the car was still under the first year's warranty...

** They all do that
** That's normal
** Ford won't cover that under warranty
** We'll look at it, but if Ford say's it's not under warranty, you'll have to pay for the service.

Ford took weeks to get back to me, took down my information and concerns then never called back.

Any way, I've now taken care of every last issue I had with the car, the transmission the whined louder than the radio, would not go into gear, the rattles and squeeks, the wobbly radio ****, the pitted steering wheel, the pitted rims... all gone.

Good luck on your venture.

Mike

Quick Reply: Hood Rusting On My 05 !