Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hood Rusting On My 05 !

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/09, 08:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd love to try this the dealer said come on by well swap it out for yah ! and then maybe have one or two get a ride to the lot and swap hoods with a new one on the lot if you get busted well the dealer said and I was just trying to help them out by saving time. yah like that would fly huh
Old 10/30/09, 10:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pray for anyone else with this problem. I have since swapped my hood for a cervinis M1 hood kit but when i took my stock hood back to the dealership they called ford and ford told them that the hood was repaired once and there should not be any more problems. Well i called Ford myself and they told me that the hood was SUPPOSTED to be fixed and if i was having the problems again that i should take it up with the dealership for the shoty work. I ended up selling my hood to a friend of mine and he had to strip the entire hood and dip it in some POR solution to remove any contaminates and now he is going to repaint it and maybe sell it. I am just glad to be rid of the dang thing.
Old 11/17/09, 12:05 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my hood is getting sandblasted and repainted in the spring, it's all chipped and stuff now along the front, showing bare aluminum
Old 12/19/09, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Was wondering why no takeoff hoods are available they probably all peeled in the warehouse! Saleen was selling them for $399 two years ago.
Old 1/25/10, 10:24 AM
GT Member

I had this issue, and the dealer re-sealed and painted the affected area. I went to Mike Naughton Ford in Aurora, CO.
-Jim
Old 1/25/10, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw some signs of this on the front, passenger side, under the lip of the hood this past summer.. It hasn't gotten any worse, but still ticks me off.

2008 Mustang GT - 22k mile on the clock.

What's worse is I don't know of a dealership in my area that I can trust with my car... I mean I've seen first hand the **** they do to customers cars and I can just see some pimple faced retard banging gears in my 550hp baby..
Old 3/11/10, 08:02 PM

I just discovered this corrosion problem with my 05's hood two days ago. The dealer checked
with Ford, who said it wasn't under warranty because it wasn't rusted through. And my rust
warranty runs out in three days! I contacted Ford customer service and they said they would
get back to me tomorrow. Let's see what they say.
Old 3/11/10, 09:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Do all cars with aluminum panels have this issue, and if so, is it standard practice by the original painters to not stand by their work?

There's a class action if the answer is 'no' here... Why should we, after 3 or 4 years, need to pay to repaint hoods simply because they don't know how to paint them right in the first place?

I don't wanna screw Ford, but then, we're being screwed if we're paying for what is in effect a bad factory paint job.

Any lawyers got a take on this?

/just found another bubble on mine... and it's crawling topside.
Old 3/11/10, 09:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

So you have an 05 and the warenty is done , can't you pay 100.00 for it or is that with extended after the 3 yr 60 k but as you point out why should anyone even have to pay because some dip is doing it wrong and painting over contamination ? When I had mine done about a year ago or one year of owning the car did it show up ? Everytime I see a fellow mustang owner I get into discussions of issues they know nothing about but do now.
Old 3/11/10, 11:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine had a bubble on the lip. Took it to the dealer and it was approved for a fix. Dealership farms out their paint work and they are probably not familiar with the proper TSB fix.

I thought that I don't want them to touch it and screw up the whole hood.

Sanded it and used some touch up. Bubble gone..for now.

I'll wait until it has a hole and then have them screw it up.
Old 3/12/10, 04:19 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
That pics tell's it all...hope you get it taken care off.
Old 3/12/10, 04:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
Mine had a bubble on the lip. Took it to the dealer and it was approved for a fix. Dealership farms out their paint work and they are probably not familiar with the proper TSB fix.

I thought that I don't want them to touch it and screw up the whole hood.

Sanded it and used some touch up. Bubble gone..for now.

I'll wait until it has a hole and then have them screw it up.
if there was only a bubble on the lip and that's all that was fixed I'd put money on it showing up first along the edging , if the Dealer farmed it out they are still on the hook for it and hopefully before warenty ends , still watch I wonder if what ever is causing the bubble will show up under differnt lighting conditions ?
Old 3/12/10, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
if there was only a bubble on the lip and that's all that was fixed I'd put money on it showing up first along the edging , if the Dealer farmed it out they are still on the hook for it and hopefully before warenty ends , still watch I wonder if what ever is causing the bubble will show up under differnt lighting conditions ?
The bubble was right along the seam in the front. Next time a bubble shows up, I'll do the same thing until there is a hole. Then they can get a new hood, paint it, and put it on. If not, I have an excuse for a new hood of my choosing and I'll have the shop of my choice paint it.
Old 3/13/10, 09:00 PM

An update to my problem. Between Ford and my dealer, I will only have to pay
around $100.00 to get my car fixed. I will also look into buying a fiberglass hood
in case the problem comes back.
Old 3/13/10, 09:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by packard400
An update to my problem. Between Ford and my dealer, I will only have to pay
around $100.00 to get my car fixed. I will also look into buying a fiberglass hood
in case the problem comes back.
sounds like an extended warrenty & Ford maybe agreed to wash thier hands of it. It`ll be good to be solved !
Old 3/14/10, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

The disturbing issue is that the problem is still hanging out there, even with '08-'09 cars.
Old 3/14/10, 09:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

It would seem to me that they need to first treat the aluminum before paint can be applied , Hey this is one to have Submitted to Myth Busters !
Old 3/14/10, 10:21 AM
GT Member

bubbles

The bubbles you see on these hoods is not corrosion. During the paint process in the assembly plant, the vehicles are dipped in e-coat (aka ED, electrocoat paint). This is primarly for the steel panels (the aluminum hood is installed with the steel body shell (it is going along for the ride basically). The wet ecoated body is then baked to 350degF to cure the ecoating dry. If the oven is not setup correctly, or the panel hem is not designed correctly, the ecoating paint can "boil out" of the hems during the bake process causing the crusted boil defect shown . . . . . the assembly plant should sand these "boils" out prior to basecoat application, but when the plant is lazy they will tend to just paint over the boil! Obviously the basecoat over crusted boiled ecoat will not adhere or "stick" very well either. Hopefully the new 2011 hoods have a better hem design to prevent the issue from occuring in the 1st place.
Old 3/14/10, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks. Makes sense.

If that is the case then why is there corrosion under the bubbles? The process should be more robust.

My hood did not have any bubbles when I bought it and now it does. I am familiar with aluminum corrosion from working on a couple airplanes in the past. And this is corrosion. Flakey white powder under the bubble. I hope I'm wrong though.

I'll just have to keep an eye on it.
Old 3/14/10, 12:40 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
best avatar ever!

Quick Reply: Hood Rusting On My 05 !