Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hood Rusting On My 05 !

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/10, 06:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry guys I forgot about you..I will post receipt of my brothers 07 Hood that was fixed Free!!
Old 4/2/10, 06:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Well, I gotta tell ya, 10-07=3 years... it would be under warranty due tot the TSB, in all likihood. Still, any information is going to be helpful, and I thank ya very much in advance.
Old 4/15/10, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add my 08 Bullitt to the list

4300 Miles, NEVER stored outdoors, been waxed what, 15 times since I got it?

Not a happy camper
Old 4/15/10, 06:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Madpoodle
Add my 08 Bullitt to the list

4300 Miles, NEVER stored outdoors, been waxed what, 15 times since I got it?

Not a happy camper
You're still covered under bumper-to-bumper...get it fixed NOW. I first saw mine at 33k, but didn't get around to taking it to the dealer until after I hit 36 and then the dealer wouldn't cover it

Last edited by Cavero; 4/15/10 at 06:46 AM.
Old 4/16/10, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'09 Bullitt...3,000 miles. So far, so good. But seems to me if the iron oxide is in all the aluminum hoods? It's only a matter of time...even with Ford's warranty repair.

Aluminum panels are non magnetic...an easy check for those who want to know.
Old 5/11/10, 07:12 PM
GT Member

FORD GIVING A CREDIT ON NEXT PURCHASE !!

]My 06 GT has crazy bubbles on the lip of the hood. The paint is cracking and starting to chip away!!
This will take away the value of the car when I go to sell it this summer. MY CAR CONDITION JUST WENT FROM EXCELLENT TO GOOD AT BEST!

I have to agree !! This is not a very good way to treat the most loyal car owners on earth!!!

[B]If ford does not want to fix the problem they should GIVE ALL 05-09 MUSTANG OWNERS A CREDIT TOWARDS THEIR NEXT PURCHASE - (CREDIT SHOULD = THE PRICE OF GETTING THE HOOD REPAINTED OR LOSS VALUE OF CAR CONDITION)

SHOULD APPLY TO X PLAN AND Z PLAN BUYERS ALSO !
[/B]

ALL THAT AGREE SAY I
Old 5/12/10, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I
Old 5/12/10, 07:12 PM

I currently have 20,000 miles on my '05. The first hood was replaced when the car was just over 2 years old. The replacement hood started showing the same blisters in the same location about 6 months ago. I just replaced it with a GT500 hood. Obviously, the problem was not solved with later parts and procedures.
Old 5/17/10, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

More bubbles on mine and I really don't want some hack painter orange peeling or running the paint on my hood.

What to do? Risk it or live with sand paper and touch up paint.
Old 5/17/10, 06:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
More bubbles on mine and I really don't want some hack painter orange peeling or running the paint on my hood.

What to do? Risk it or live with sand paper and touch up paint.
08 warrenty work ! or strike a deal for them to share replace the hood cost so it never happens again ?
Old 5/17/10, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
08 warrenty work ! or strike a deal for them to share replace the hood cost so it never happens again ?
My warranty is still in effect so I'm good there.

I just don't want a hood that looks like an orange. The dealership I bought the car from does not have a body shop. I'd rather have them get me a new hood and have a freind of mine do the paint. I know his work.
Old 5/17/10, 06:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
My warranty is still in effect so I'm good there.

I just don't want a hood that looks like an orange. The dealership I bought the car from does not have a body shop. I'd rather have them get me a new hood and have a freind of mine do the paint. I know his work.
would then the dealership or Ford require like 3 estimates to get a go ahead for work ? I lucked out as Mine did have a shop right there !
or even write Ford to see what they can do for you .
Old 6/2/10, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey guys... I just stumbled across this thread and wanted to give some feedback from an engineering basis. What I see are two different, unrelated issues occuring on your cars.
The first issue, with the large bubbles on the outside painted surface, is in fact a paint defect. There may have been an underlying issue that was not so visible prior to the bubble forming, but has gotten worse over time.
The second issue I am seeing is where you are seeing small "bubbles" around the hem joint. This is a very common paint issue called "e-coat boil-out." Ford uses an Electro-coat primer on all bodies. The body is electrically charged, dipped in a bath of the solution, and the electrical charge pulls the primer to the body. Some of that solution gets caught in the flanges and does not fully drain out. When it goes thru the ovens to cure, it "boils out" and those bubbles are the result. We try our best to minimize that, but when we build many thousands of cars, there is still the chance of that happening. We fight this phenomenon on just about all of our products, but it is NOT the beginning of corrosion.

Last edited by JScottGT; 6/3/10 at 11:10 AM.
Old 6/2/10, 05:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thank-You Jason.

That's good to know , you think Ford would now be aware & change a tact so it does drain, I can understand them not being aware for some time , but should be responsible for it none the less ! *& now they do know rectify what have you to save on repair !
Old 6/2/10, 09:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JScottGT
Hey guys... I just stumbled across this thread and wanted to give some feedback from an engineering basis. What I see are two different, unrelated issues occuring on your cars.
The first issue, with the large bubbles on the outside painted surface, is in fact a paint defect. There may have been an underlying issue that was not so visible prior to the bubble forming, but has gotten worse over time.
The second issue I am seeing is where you are seeing small "bubbles" around the hem joint. This is a very common paint issue called "e-coat boil-out." Ford uses an Electro-coat primer on all bodies. The body is electrically charged, dipped in a bath of the solution, and the electrical charge pulls the primer to the body. Some of that solution gets caught in the flanges and does not fully drain out. When it goes thru the ovens to cure, it "boils out" and those bubbles are the result. We try our best to minimize that, but when we build many thousands of cars, there is still the chance of that happening. We fight this phenomenon on just about all of our products, but it is NOT the beginning of corrosion.
I agree, good to know... I also want to say that it was previously iterated in this thread somewhere.

In any case, Jason, your opinion is something I'd like to extract from you, but a bit of questioning is required..

First, in regards to the hem bubbles caused by the solution... The unfortunate effect, in my hood, is that it eventually wraps around to the top side, and causes the paint to bubble and peel off. This means that while it may have *started* at the hem, it's moved on like a cancer to the top. Water then gets in there and does it's work too when the peel/chip flies off, and the next thing you know, naked hood bits.

The opinion needed: If this is a known defect caused by a manufacturing process that otherwise has *never* been seen on any plastic or sheet metal steel hoods in my past Fords... why is it allowable on this car, with the aluminum hood? Why is Ford going to deny the hood paint defective and fix it?

Second, if this is a provable defect caused by said solution and process... No other body part exhibits this problem. Only the hoods.

Opinion: Why is this the case? I take it that it's complicated to explain, and it involves the aluminum, but please do try.

Third. Since it's only the hood, and it's a production issue, the process itself is defective.

Opinion: Can this be proven?
Query: If so, can we get the technical data, please?

Thanks in advance, kind sir!

Last edited by houtex; 6/3/10 at 08:14 PM.
Old 6/3/10, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I will try my best to answer this. From what I can see here, it appears to be a combination effect of poor drainage in the hood as well as it being aluminum. When the bodies go thru the paint shop, the doors and hoods are slightly propped open to allow better coverage as well as aid in the draining of the e-coat fluid. I really dont know what is going on with your hood seeing that the bubbles did in fact lead to actual water penetration under the paint causing the bubbles you are seeing.
You are not alone in this issue though, after walking thru the parking lot this morning I was specifically looking for other S197's (05-09 MY) with this same phenomenon, and I did see two others that showed the same bubbles on the leading edge of the hood.

Last edited by JScottGT; 6/3/10 at 11:14 AM.
Old 6/3/10, 08:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No, the problem is that the bubbles from the hems start, and when they wrap around to the top, and the paint gets knocked off by whatever action, then the water gets under the paint and starts a bigger mess, over time.

I do have a wrap bubble on the leading edge, but the one I'm more concered about is the one at the back. It wrapped, and got knocked off at some point, and there's exposed metal now. Yay.

/yes, I'll touch it up, but...
//Still think Ford should give us a 'one time' repaint coupon or such.
///I mean... don't they have any pride? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 6/7/10, 04:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Unbelievable, still not resolved by Ford.

Even after years of discussing this issue and bringing it forward to their attention.

I am extremely disappointed.
Old 6/7/10, 05:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by JScottGT
...Some of that solution gets caught in the flanges and does not fully drain out. When it goes thru the ovens to cure, it "boils out" and those bubbles are the result. We try our best to minimize that, but when we build many thousands of cars, there is still the chance of that happening. We fight this phenomenon on just about all of our products, but it is NOT the beginning of corrosion.
If it's not corrosion, is it just a primer bubble and will it ever be an issue?
Old 6/7/10, 08:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The bubble will be an issue, yes, as it's paint that is not sticking to the surface, is weak, and will eventually 'break'.

Quick Reply: Hood Rusting On My 05 !