Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hood Rusting On My 05 !

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/08, 11:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
BTW I put a few Zink bars on my cars on the edge of the Mighty Pacific Ocean here like the boat owners no nothing on my 05 that it's new owner has now nor my 07 it's metal right so I thought Zinc would be useful
Old 9/18/08, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too!

Well, I wish I would have found this thread BEFORE I bought a new 08 black mustang in April 08. I looked under my hood and noticed some small bubbly/rash like appearance. Its under the hood at the seam line, also a few spots on the sides of the hood seams. Its not as bad as some of the pictures I've seen here and upon examining my entire car I found no others. So what I did was to circle the bad areas with a magic marker(it don't show much cuz my car is black and the problem is under the hood) and will keep my eye on it. If it grows I'll be contacting a dealer. I live in a northern state that gets lots of snow and my car will be garaged(as it always has) and only driven when no snow/ice/salt is present. It only has 375 miles on it, gargage kept and never driven in the rain.

I have gone through all the headaches many of you have with trying to get the manufacturer to act and honor their warranties. Its not just Ford its ALL of them that play this game. They are all fast talkers before you buy a car from them but after you do and you encounter something like this they change their tune. If this problem on my vehicle grows and I get no action it will be the last American made car I'll buy ever! Even if its repaired, I'm not so sure how long it will last or where it will appear next! The tsb talks about the aluminum hood but just look at all the other areas that have this same problem. You'd think that after 5 or more years of this same problem it would have been addressed at the factory level and fixed for good. But no, everytime a new mustang is sold they know this problem will most likely arised, if it isn't present already, to this honest customer.
I mean how many people would spot these problems when looking to purchase a new car?

This is just another long time worry as well as the cowl leak issues! Geez-O-Petez!

Good luck to all...........

Last edited by sting22; 9/18/08 at 03:28 PM.
Old 9/19/08, 01:01 AM

I also have some small bubbly/rash like appearance at the seam line of the hood but no bubbles on the paint at the lip of the hood like some of you. Did anyone with the same issue had it fixed by Ford. For those who didn't do anything, did this bubbly seam expanded after some time?
I have an 08 GT vert bought last november and have only 3000 miles on it (live in Los Angeles so no much rain here) and as I'm moving to France in 1 1/2 mth with the mustang, I want to make that if I have to do something I'll do it while in the US.
Old 9/19/08, 10:04 AM

From reading this thread the affected area does migrate as time goes on but I haven't read anything about the seam expanding but my guess would be it would if its not taken care of. One other thing, being there is a
tsb 06-25-15 which says 2005-2007 mustang. Will they still cover a 2008? I don't know if there is an updated tsb that includes 2008. The 06-25-15 was probably released in 2007.
Old 10/3/08, 11:19 AM
GT Member

So I took in my car 3 weeks ago for its 30k service. I also asked them to do a through check because the warranty was going to expire 5 days later. So after replacing the brakes and getting the service done I picked up my car and left. I got a call from the dealership saying that my hood was there. I called the service department and told them that I didn't order a hood. He told me that the tech noticed corrosion under the lip and he put an order in for a new hood. So now I have a hood sitting there that I have to go get installed. I'm happy about the new hood, but I wish the service advisor would have told me they ordered a new hood when I went to go pick up my car. We'll see how it goes in a couple of days when I go pick up a new one.
Old 10/3/08, 08:45 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I noticed my hood was bubbling along the seam when I was getting ready for a show in August. Unfortunately I have more than 36,000 miles on the car so the dealer said my hood isn't covered unless it rusts through.
Old 10/7/08, 11:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I noticed my hood is bubbling. I am over the 36K warranty, but my dealer might be able to help me out. I am going to bring the TSB in and talk with the service advisor.
Old 10/9/08, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is obviously an ugly issue that will only get worse over time. Max2000jp be sure to pressure your dealer. I did and though I did pay a bit, it was no where near what it would cost to fix in a shop. If they try to tell you in needs to rust through because your over the 3 year 36,000 warranty, just ask them how much its gonna cost them to fix it when it does go through. Its a lot cheaper to fix it now when its still managable, then to wait for when its so bad that you need a whole new hood !!
Old 10/12/08, 06:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add me to the totally p*ssed list on this one. I've noticed a small bubble on my hood, but its on the TOP NOT the underside of the hood. I'm no where near 36000 miles, but the car is an '05. I'm going to see what I can get them to do here shortly. I sure hope they come up withi some solution.
Old 10/13/08, 10:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by flight96
This is obviously an ugly issue that will only get worse over time. Max2000jp be sure to pressure your dealer. I did and though I did pay a bit, it was no where near what it would cost to fix in a shop. If they try to tell you in needs to rust through because your over the 3 year 36,000 warranty, just ask them how much its gonna cost them to fix it when it does go through. Its a lot cheaper to fix it now when its still managable, then to wait for when its so bad that you need a whole new hood !!
I went to the dealer and they said it wasn't covered, for the reason being it needs to rust through. I am going to call Ford's 800 number and complain. This is totally un-acceptable given that I pamper my car. This is a known Ford defect and they won't go to bat for a customer. Great customer service!
Old 10/24/08, 06:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Any news on this?
Old 10/31/08, 02:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Bump
Old 11/10/08, 02:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Any news on this?
I called Ford and they gave me the run-around. I then called my salesmen and asked for his help. He spoke with the service manager and they are going to take a look at the car. They have an on-site bodyshop and asked that I brought it there for a "customer goodwill" estimate. I am going to take the car in tomorrow morning.
Old 12/15/08, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bumpsky
Old 12/23/08, 12:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok guys i think i posted this a LONG time ago, i believe when i first bought my car in march of 06. Ford covered my rust problem, since it was covered under their lifetime rust coverage. The body shop repainted my hood and ford footed the bill. well now i have to go in again, because it started rusting again. But this will be the last time and i am taking my factory hood off and replacing it with a Steeda race hood.
Old 12/23/08, 07:40 PM

I had to have the hood replaced on my '05 GT after 2 years, with less than 10,000 miles on the clock because of corrosion on the front lip. Have had no issues so far since the replacement.
Old 12/27/08, 06:01 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
even our 09 has a couple little bubbles staring right along the edge(like my 06 did- till they blossomed into several square inch 'blisters'), I'm going to find some kind of clear sealant to put over the edge- the corrosion Ive seen on every one Ive looked at all started on the outermost edge of the outer panel, where its 'crimped' to the lower panel edge, reading they say its from blah, blah, blah...on the edge- but whatever they want to call it, improper prep on the edge is not preventing moisture from creeping under the paint, corroding the aluminum. theres a rubbery 'non-silicone' clear glue (goop mapbe) I use on model airplanes, that I think would be a good sealer to seal off that edge without being too visible...heck, maybe just downspout caulking would help...long term, I'd rather have a white ribbon of caulking underneath than blisters creeping up onto the hood surface- however something easy to strip off(goop peels pretty cleanly if I remember right) so it could be checked or redone...just gotta try on some hidden area to be sure it dont melt the paint
Old 12/30/08, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

my 08 has this issue, honestly Im glad now I am getting my hood repainted and it will cover up all of the rock chips I have aquired..
I should look into that 3m clear bra material for the front end after this gets painted.
Old 10/21/09, 04:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by flight96
Does anyone know what the warranty is for rust ? My 05 hood lip has rust... !!!...I'll post pics when I get some but this is ridiculous that a car 2 or 3 years old is rusting !!
the hood is aluminum , they say that contamination gets or was in there and they had to redo my whole hood for it so Best look real good before warrenty expiration!
Old 10/21/09, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

My Triple Black had this same issue. My body shop said that it was oxidation caused by the aluminum coming into contact with a contaminant prior to being painted. They sanded it out and re-painted it, but no guarantees it won't come back...

Quick Reply: Hood Rusting On My 05 !