Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fuel Tank Issue (with service ticket)

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/15, 02:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my car new in 2005 and have delt with this problem every fill up since. For me it didnt seem to
matter how or where it was filled with gas it always did it. but since i wont let Ford work on it i just delt with it.
Im retired now and I have a lot more time on my hands and figured I would tackle it. ive done a lot of reasearch and this is how I fixed it without
getting the tank replaced. I spend $150 in parts and the results are pricesless
full blast at the pumps and no more click, click, and click at the gas pumps.
I checked all of the canister and assiated fuel plumbing for obstructiuons first.
I think the problem lies with the filler neck and the way Ford Designed it. its to small in diamater (less than an inch) and the gas
is forced to flow upwards over the axel and its causing back pressure and the gas pump is sensing this and thinking the tanks full.
I tried to make it as straight as possable and take out some of the angle bends expecially over the axle. the old filler neck is
less than 1 inch in diamater while the tank will accept a 1 1/4 line so i bought some 1 1/4 marine filler hose wrapped it with
stainless steel braded wire sleeve for protection. I also wrapped the hose with some refective heat tape before i put the stainless steel braded wire sleeve protection over the hose. i cut off the gas cap filler tube from the old filler neck at 5 inches and clamped it to the hose. it may look like there are some kinks in the hose but thats the heat shrink. there are no kinks in this set up. Here are a few pics of the Mod.
Old 9/12/15, 02:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 9/13/15, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent write up. You should have worked for Ford. I'm surprised their own engineers couldn't come up with something like your design.