Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fuel Tank Issue (with service ticket)

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/07, 12:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuel Tank Issue (with service ticket)

I had my fuel tank replaced back in 2005 when it would not fill. The tank is still experiencing the same problem, though I don't fill it up that often.

I took the vehicle back to the dealership explaining to them that when I put fuel in the vehicle, the pump continuously shuts off and that the fuel spews from the tank.

I received a call five days later from the dealership indicating that it is normal behavior on a Mustang and that the problem will not be corrected and that I should pick my vehicle up.

So, for anyone else who is having a fuel tank issue, don't bother.

I have spoken with the service manager and Ford Customer Care and am waiting to hear back from them to see if they can make this right. I'll let you guys know.

If you would like to see the service ticket for yourselves, please click here.
Old 2/4/07, 01:17 PM

This is certainly not normal. I had occasional problems with the original fuel tank at some gas pumps. A dealer replaced it over a year ago and the new tank fills fine every time every pump!!!
Old 2/4/07, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my 05 Mustang since 12/28/04 and have only had problems filling my tank a few times, and when I did all I had to do was turn the nozzle upside down and it would fill the tank with no problems.
I have found a station by my house where I have no problems with filling the tank so that's where I try and go most of the time.

I decided against taking the car in to replace the gas tank per the TSB as many people continued to have the same problem filling the tank after replacement, and some new problems developed like the gas gauge giving false readings, so I decided to keep the tank that came with the car.
Old 2/4/07, 08:37 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Do they have those GD big accordian thingys on the spout down there?
Up here we just have a splash shield at the most.
Old 2/4/07, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

My 07 has this same issue occationally. I wonder if it might have something to do with the line pressure comming out of the gas pump? I can't think of any other reason why it might be doing it.
Old 2/5/07, 05:04 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The problem is with the Mustang fuel tank and filler neck design, not the gas pumps. If the gas pumps and nozzles work on all of my other vehicles (with or without accordion thingies) then it logically should work on the Mustang. We all know how logic and common sense works within Ford...
Old 2/5/07, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I've had my 2007 Mustang since September and I haven't had any problems with the gas tank fill up. Mine works normally.
Old 2/5/07, 10:34 AM
GTR Member

I actually haven't filled the gas in the Stang yet, but the first thing I plan to try is to pull the nozzle out a bit more if it clicks off too soon. I had this problem with my Crown Vic when I first moved here. NJ was mandatory full service so it was illegal for me to fill my own tank. Here, it is all self-serve (which I like), but the first few times I jammed the nozzle into the filler too deep so it would always click off too soon. Now I just leave it somewhat dangling in the neck so there is enough room for the gasoline to displace the air in the gas tank.
Old 2/5/07, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had mine replaced in 05 and have had no more problems. Maybe they screwed up the first time and don't want to admit it. I would tell them that this is a safety issue and it is not normal. Maybe say somthing about dumping fuel on the ground and the EPA. I don't think the EPA would like that this would be normal behavior for a mass production car.
Old 2/5/07, 11:19 AM
GTR Member

The EPA would prefer you not to drive any cars or own any cars.
The NHTSA/DOT would probably care about a large number of fuel tank issues with the Mustang GT.
Old 2/5/07, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Have you tried a different station?

Lets leave the EPA/gov out of this. All we need is another Ralph Nader wannabe picking apart the stang and bankrupting ford, killing the stang forever or turning it into a tree hugger mobile. I will live with the occasional problem till ford fixes it.

On my 06 it has shut off early twice in 8 months. that it.

Also, I am in NJ, and despite the "law" have always fueled my own vehicles. Only once or twice was I told that I was not allowed to do so. And in those cases I simply left the station without buying gas and went to the next one. their loss.
Old 2/5/07, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had this problem twice since i got my gt. Solved by turning it upside down as well.

havnt had it in a long time... jsut those two in probably the first month.
Old 2/5/07, 02:27 PM
GTR Member

Turning it upside down might allow the gas to flow into the filler neck at a straight angle, like pouring used engine oil into the funnel's exit versus the walls of the funnel.
Old 2/5/07, 02:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by classj
I will live with the occasional problem till ford fixes it.
Well, if you have an 07, I believe Ford has already fixed it. The people with 2005-06 models have to live with the problem. I do not believe Ford plans to fix it.

And as far as the EPA bankrupting Ford, I believe Ford is doing a good job of bankrupting themselves, to the tune of 5+ billion dollars a quarter.

They're going to add another $600 to that when they replace my fuel tank again.
Old 2/5/07, 03:12 PM
GT Member

Wow, they put 20 miles on it to check those two issues? Someone going for a joy ride over there?
Old 2/5/07, 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

This is a well known problem. Don't give up just because one dealer won't take care of it. Dealers are staffed by humans. Humans are unpredictable. Humans are all different. Try another dealer.
Old 2/5/07, 05:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bigkbull
Wow, they put 20 miles on it to check those two issues? Someone going for a joy ride over there?
That is a good point. They actually claim that they didn't do anything other than pull it into the shop. In fact, they admittedly didn't even verify my problem before returning it to me.
Old 2/5/07, 05:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 281GT
This is a well known problem. Don't give up just because one dealer won't take care of it. Dealers are staffed by humans. Humans are unpredictable. Humans are all different. Try another dealer.
I got a call back from Ford Customer Care this evening. They are going to escalate it to their "Customer Solutions Team" or something like that. They said it typically takes about two days to hear back from them, but they will try to speed up that process.

Spewing gas is not only an inconvenience, but it is also unsafe and environmentally unfriendly. Admittedly, the former is more important to me than the latter, but either way, they need to fix this issue.

The Ford rep told me today that the problem is that there is no known fix for the issue.

Either way, it is unsafe and they need to do SOMETHING about it.
Old 2/5/07, 06:12 PM
GTR Member

Don't forget the S197 GTs love to spew brake fluid near the exhaust manifolds.
Old 2/5/07, 07:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jfrayzier
That is a good point. They actually claim that they didn't do anything other than pull it into the shop. In fact, they admittedly didn't even verify my problem before returning it to me.
Little more fuel for the fire if they keep giving you a hard time about your problems.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Issue (with service ticket)