Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fuel Tank Issue (with service ticket)

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/07, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I have an 05 GT built in June 05 and have never had the gas fill problem.
Old 2/6/07, 08:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has never had a fill problem, or brake fluid problem. The brake fluid over flow is most likly caused by over filling the resivior. If you dont have it filled by someonee smart or who knows the car such as a ford tech/yourself (if technically inclined) there wont be a problem.
Old 2/6/07, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

From the factory the brake resivoirs all leak a bit. I lowered the level a tad in mine from factory fill to reduce the leakage a bit. Between the cap having a slit in the middle (god only knows why as this goes against all common practice), and the gasket leaking a bit, it is a poor design. At this point the top of the master will be a tad wet after two weeks. I wipe it when I check the oil at that interval.
Old 2/6/07, 08:43 AM
Cobra R Member

hmm...as far as I know mine has never leaked, I have never seen it and check the entire car out twice a week. I have an early '05 GT, might be defective on later models?
Old 2/6/07, 10:00 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The gaskets all have a slit in the middle to allow the equalization of pressure in changing ambient temperatures. They've had slits since they first started using these type of reservoirs in Fords.
Old 2/6/07, 11:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I have an 05 GT built in December 04. I hated the first gas tank. They replaced it and I have not had the problem again.
Old 2/6/07, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 GT:

1) ditto on the brake fluid cap leak

2) Fuel tank fill: I've run into the fill problem on just 3 occasions during my first 4 months of ownership. For me, if I fill at the SLOWEST fill speed possible, no issue. Also, find a station that doesn't pump their fuel with higher pressure (i.e., even at the slowest fill setting, fuel still feeds to quickly).

I don't think swapping out the tank really addresses the issue... seems like an inherent design flaw.
Old 2/6/07, 11:53 AM
Cobra R Member

My GT was born in Nov. 04... had an issue once the gas station attendent told me to stop pumping and shake the handle, he said when the idiot before me topped his tank off the vapors somehow get into the nozzle, and during certain temperatures stay in the nozzle. So I shake out the nozzle everytime before filling after that and have never had it happen again unless i forget to shake. If thats the case I just shake it.

I don't know if this does anything for real but it seems to work. I dont get why a new tank would change the ability to fill. Unless your tank had something that shouldnt be inside it, or a broken sensor.
Old 2/6/07, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

The gaskets all have a slit in the middle to allow the equalization of pressure in changing ambient temperatures. They've had slits since they first started using these type of reservoirs in Fords
Yes. But I still preffer the sealed air bladder style masters where the bladder just gets pulled into the master as temperature and fluid level changes.

With the slit, air can pass in/out. And with the air comes moisture. And brake fluid loves moisture.

the slit is tiny. But I prefer the method I described. above.
Old 2/6/07, 12:58 PM
GTR Member

I have both (sealed air bladder master cylinder reservoir) styles of reservoirs and prefer the new style. The new plastic reservoir w/ a cap is cleaner and neater than the older style. The new reservoirs also have a much larger brake fluid capacity than the days of yore. I agree that the slit can allow moisture into the reservoir, but I flush out the system once a year anyhow,
Old 2/6/07, 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by classj
Have you tried a different station?

Lets leave the EPA/gov out of this. All we need is another Ralph Nader wannabe picking apart the stang and bankrupting ford, killing the stang forever or turning it into a tree hugger mobile. I will live with the occasional problem till ford fixes it.

On my 06 it has shut off early twice in 8 months. that it.

Also, I am in NJ, and despite the "law" have always fueled my own vehicles. Only once or twice was I told that I was not allowed to do so. And in those cases I simply left the station without buying gas and went to the next one. their loss.
I never said tell the EPA. I was just thinking if they are going to feed you a BS line like that is normal behavior. You could feed them a BS line like I don't think the EPA would Like it. If your car is an 05 there is a fix for it look in the TSB folder.
Old 2/6/07, 02:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Somewhat off topic, but someone posted this fix about the leaky reservoir... I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=49966
Old 2/8/07, 12:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 05 Gray GT
If your car is an 05 there is a fix for it look in the TSB folder.
You are incorrect. Mine is a 2005 model. I had the "fix" applied per the TSB and it did not fix my problem. I still have the problem and was told by Ford that this is a "normal characteristic" of the Mustangs and that there is no fix available.

Which leads me to wonder... why would anyone want a fix for something that is normal? Oh well. Maybe I'm just different.
Old 2/8/07, 12:19 PM
V6 Member

I just got a call from Ford. Apparently they have now done their research and have determined that they are not going to make any attempts to fix my vehicle.

They said that if they put another fuel tank on the car that there is no guarantee that I won't still have the problem and for that reason, they are not going to do it.

She suggested that I either select a different gas station, or pump the fuel slower.

By the way, pumping the fuel slower DOES prevent it from clicking the pump off... however, it still doesn't allow the fuel to flow into the tank. Apparently, if I pump it slowly the fuel reverses directions and pumps out onto the side of the car and down into the parking lot.

However, both the dealership and the Ford representative said that this is a normal characteristic for this vehicle and is not indicative of any problem with the car.

For now, that's where I am.
Old 2/8/07, 12:27 PM
GTR Member

They just want to avoid the lemon law...
Old 2/8/07, 12:42 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
They just want to avoid the lemon law...
Correct. In order to qualify as a lemon they have to have attempted the repair x number or times or it had to spend y number of days in the shop over the last z months or weeks or whatever. Either way, if they refuse to attempt repair and send it straight home, how would it ever meet those requirements?
Old 2/8/07, 05:39 PM

Ford is giving you the run-around as they drown in red ink. The problem is not with the tank itself, but with the filler neck. The angle of the filler neck causes air to build up in it and click the pump off. This is why the guys that turn the pump upside down have success.
Old 2/8/07, 06:21 PM
V6 Member

The woman working my case, Rosanne, wasn't much help, either.

If you wind up with a problem with your vehicle, be sure to give her a call: 866-631-3788 x7290.
Old 2/13/07, 04:33 PM
V6 Member

I tried fueling with the pump upside-down (NASCAR-style) today. No premature shutoff, which is good. But it did pump about $0.60 worth of fuel onto the ground before it did shut off. Still spews the fuel that way I guess.
Old 3/16/07, 08:12 AM
GT Member

Old posting but still relavent and STILL having problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This really ****es me off!!!!!!!!!!!! I can;t go 1 gallon without it shutting off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I decided NOT to take it in to the dealer because I wasn't confident they knew what the problem was.

This morning I went to put some gas in after letting the tank run almost dry. I started to put gas in it and about 2 secs later, yes I said 2 secs, gas comes spurting out all over the car and it continued for like 3 secs. I proceeded to do what I normally would do to bypass this issue and it didn't work. I then tried what other people suggested and that was to turn the nozzle upside down, still no good! I could only put about 2-3 secs of gas in each time. I immediately drove up to the dealership.

The tech came with me to a different station and the same thing happened again except this time it just clicked off instead of exploding all over my car.

The first thing he says is that he would contact Ford engineering and ask them. After we get back to the dealer and he looks up some stuff, he says that they wanted to "check it out" to see what the problem was. THEN he tells me that he remembers another person having a similar issue and they discovered that he had a spider web in the tank causing the issue and thinks that maybe I have a similar problem. WHAT???????????? How the hell does a spider even GET into the tank much less survive long enough to build a house? That's crazy!!!!

So I told him NO, I'm not going to let your guys experiment on my car. Call Ford, ask them and we'll do what they suggest. That's what the tech said he'd do and that's what I want. He then gets all huffy and goes and gets a manager who also gets huffy because I stick to my guns and keep saying no. Then the manager asks me where I bought it, and my reply was that I didn't really understand what that had to do with anything. Then he asked me what I wanted them to do. So I proceeded to tell then yet again.

GEEZ!!!!!!!! What's up with these people? This is a legitamate problem and it needs to be fixed! I understand that there may be a little frustration on their part no being able to fix something but don't you think it's slightly easier saying that? "Um, we're sorry sir, Ford engineering hasn't provided us with a fix as of yet for this problem." I mean how freakin hard is that to say???

It sure is a lot easier on the ears than "Maybe you have a spider in your tank and we want you to give us your baby for a few days so we can take it apart and try to find it."

On the different sation note....That's crap!!!! When was the last time any one of you had someone that told you "hey dude, had a problem with the quik trip down the road...try the P66 station over there by the grocery store, it worked fine" That's just dumb!!!! YES it might work but come on. How many cars of different make and model are on the road? How many millions??? How many have this problem??? Only 05 06 and maybe 07 Ford mustangs????

For me, I was lucky. For the first year, 3700 miles and roughly 20 or so fillups, I didn't have this problem. Why now? I don't know. Maybe the spider got a hooker, knocked her up and now the kids live at home!

Anyone have any Ford engineering contacts?

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Issue (with service ticket)