2007-2008 Shelby GT The Third S197 Shelby Mustang

Third Shelby Mustang: Shelby GT Joins GT-H and GT500!

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/06, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, and I'm probably going to get flamed for this, I actually like the car. It's simple, clean looking and doesn't scream "Hey, yo, every body look at me!!!". My only requests would be a little more power, blend the hood scoop into the hood and not attach it with rivets, and offer some optional Shelby wheels. It seems every body and their brother has Bullit style wheels now.
Old 8/9/06, 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by StangFreak
Personally, and I'm probably going to get flamed for this, I actually like the car. It's simple, clean looking and doesn't scream "Hey, yo, every body look at me!!!". My only requests would be a little more power, blend the hood scoop into the hood and not attach it with rivets, and offer some optional Shelby wheels. It seems every body and their brother has Bullit style wheels now.
I agree. It may not be the end-all be-all of Mustangs, but it is a fine first step, especially if it is appropriately priced. If Amy's promise that this will not be the last Shelby Mustang proves true, the Shelby GT is only a stepping-stone towards whatever is coming out next.

It's impossible to know what's coming, therefore making it very difficult to accurately guage the place of this model. If it is only the little brother to a 400+ hp road warrior, then I am perfectly content with this Mustang the way that it is. There are plenty of people who will be happy to own this car.

Also, Amy is gracious enough to share infromation with us, something she certainly doesnt have to do. She isnt the complaint desk, and it's unfair to complain about the Shelby GT to her without a knowledge of what else Ford and Shelby are working on.
Old 8/9/06, 04:03 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
... My only requests would be a little more power
It's more than enough unless you need Terminator performance to shave half a second on the quarter mile. The '03 / '04 Mach 1s proved to be a lot of fun, so is the current GT, and the Shelby GT will be even better.
Old 8/9/06, 04:17 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by amyb
... I dont usually respond to posts like these...

... Not everything is zero to 60 in 3.2...

... not everyone wants or needs 600Hp
It's about time you did... straight and to the point, no BS. You've earned your stripes. Welcome to TMS!

BTW, in case you didn't know, I've had every Ford Mustang SE since 1999. Anyone who has experienced the best Ford has offered in Mustangs will understand the Shelby GT is a winner.

Now, how about some old fashioned Shelby side and window scoops?
Old 8/9/06, 04:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You said It!! Not the Flamed part but every word after.
Old 8/9/06, 05:00 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
It's more than enough unless you need Terminator performance to shave half a second on the quarter mile. The '03 / '04 Mach 1s proved to be a lot of fun, so is the current GT, and the Shelby GT will be even better.
Easy to say when you have one
Old 8/9/06, 05:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

I actually like this car and will be looking at them ina few years when I get a new one, just gotta wait and see what the boss will have, heh.

Any idea of production numbers on the Shelby GT by the way? I hears a lot, and i've also heard it will be strictly limited again.
Old 8/9/06, 06:05 PM
President of Shelby Autos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
It's about time you did... straight and to the point, no BS. You've earned your stripes. Welcome to TMS!

BTW, in case you didn't know, I've had every Ford Mustang SE since 1999. Anyone who has experienced the best Ford has offered in Mustangs will understand the Shelby GT is a winner.

Now, how about some old fashioned Shelby side and window scoops?
I think you can tell, I am absolutely no BS.... It has always worked and I am way too old to change now, lol

There will be many cool things coming, and the yes, side window scoops too...

Amy
Old 8/9/06, 06:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I applaud this new edition, matter of fact any new edition Mustang and the fact that it comes from Shelby American even better
Old 8/9/06, 06:33 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Hang in there Amy!

I for one, am very grateful to have a direct link to the President of the Company. You provide valuable insight and have handled yourself very professionally in these forums.

The 1966 GT-350 is probably my all time favorite mustang and I think you have done a great job of providing an updated version of this classic.

Compare these photoshops of my ideal S-197 mustang to the actual Shelby GT and you can see why I'm liking this car. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=50692

And no I didn't have any inside info on the Shelby GT announcement when I made the photoshops.

I was disappointed that the GT-H was not available to the public, only came in an automatic, and had a spoiler. The Shelby GT solves all these issues for me.

If I can get one for a reasonable price (no dealer markups), a Shelby GT just may be in my garage in the not too distant future.

Please don't let the those who are not fans of the Shelby GT scare you off with their comments.

I'm sure the Brad, (the site owner) is glad to have you onboard.

v/r

Mark
Old 8/9/06, 08:59 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by amyb
you know Stang, I dont usually respond to posts like these, but I will make an exception here, as I think it is important to level the field a bit.

It's easy to sit where you are and think or decide that we took an easy road or cut corners, But I suspect if you understood what it takes to work with a partner and meet the standards of a big corporation, and meet all the requirements, you might think this is a cool car and a good first step in solidifying Carrolls legacy and the future of Shelby Mustangs. Not everything is zero to 60 in 3.2, just like in life, you walk before you race. Ford is a great partner and as I have said before, not everyone wants or needs 600Hp, some people just want a car that they can ride in, gives a little more, looks cool, and is called Shelby.....I don't think there's anything wrong with that. And....Just my .02 cents, as only history will prove either of us right or wrong. If they don't sell, well, then we know

Amy
I was actually referring to Ford making the quick buck which is why I made the post directly below the press release. However, if you want to take this discussion there then, IMO, do it right or don't do it at all, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Not looking for 600hp by any means. (350-400 would be fine)

You hit the nail on the head when you said "some people just want a car that... is called a Shelby." That's the wrong attitude to have when designing something with the legendary Shelby name on it, IMO. And that's exactly why we have the Shelby GT as it is.

And yes, they will sell. No doubt about that. But that will be more becuase of the name than anything else.
Old 8/9/06, 09:10 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
And for those who don't understand having passion and a preference for the direction the Mustang and Shelby should take, I am thrilled to have Amy here on TMS. Anyone doubting my Mustang or Shelby loyalties, I've had 5 Mustangs. One from every generation except the second gen.

65 Fastback - 16 years
88 LX 5.0L coupe - 3 years
88 LX 5.0L coupe - 5 years
03 GT coupe - 2 years
05 GT Fastback - 1+ years & counting
If I could afford an original Shelby, I would've had one of those also.

So I believe I have just as much right to give my negative opinions as anyone else does to make their positive comments. (and a little more right than a few)

Don't slam me because I'm not willing to settle for less.
Old 8/9/06, 09:10 PM

Amyb, thank you for taking the time to inform us of upcoming events at Shelby. I know there are other important matters that must be calling to you and still you make for us "mustang Nuts"!
Could you tell me, if you can, will the new Shelby GT by offered in a convertible?

Ron
Old 8/9/06, 10:14 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Thanks very very very much Amyb! I think a lot of people are just not patient enough. If they dont like the shelby gt, then dont buy it. You yourself said more shelbys have yet to be made. So they should just wait if they want more power. You guys have been in the business since before I was born, Im pretty sure you know what you're doing. Great job.
Old 8/9/06, 11:05 PM
V6 Member

Yes! Thank you very much for posting here at TMS forum

LB
Old 8/9/06, 11:19 PM
V6 Member

Amy, you guys at Shelby are doing a great job, keep up the good work. I currently own a 06-V6 and considering what you have done with the CS6, I cant wait to see what is in store for the GT version. BTW, I was just curious, what are you driving?
Old 8/9/06, 11:45 PM
President of Shelby Autos

Originally Posted by StangNut
I was actually referring to Ford making the quick buck which is why I made the post directly below the press release. However, if you want to take this discussion there then, IMO, do it right or don't do it at all, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Not looking for 600hp by any means. (350-400 would be fine)

You hit the nail on the head when you said "some people just want a car that... is called a Shelby." That's the wrong attitude to have when designing something with the legendary Shelby name on it, IMO. And that's exactly why we have the Shelby GT as it is.

And yes, they will sell. No doubt about that. But that will be more becuase of the name than anything else.
>>> The release is from us and Ford, so that why I responded. For 400HP naturally asperated would be a good base gt350, not sure you can get there with the 4.6, but time will tell. This is certainly better then the 69 and 70's that had the name and nothing more then stripe kit, so I think we are ok.

But what if you could have an entry level shelby and uy all the parts you wanted in aftermarket, by shelby and authorized by shelby? I think would be cool for those who just cant go out there and do the gt500. This way its done on your shedule, your time.just a thought

I agree you are certainly entitled to your opinions, as I am, lets agree to disagree on this one and see how it all unfolds, I will be the first to admit, I don't know everything, just trying to build a business and secure a legacy

Amy
Old 8/10/06, 03:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Tres explain to me why a GT/CS needs to have the mandatory comfort group package. More importantly why heated seats are mandatory for a car mainly sold in warmer climates. I am thinking this car besides 68 CS owners will have most of its appeal with california residents. Heated seats in a High Country Special I could understand.
Old 8/10/06, 10:02 AM

Thanks for your replies Amy. I've learned a lot about Shelby's future plans as a result. While the Shelby GT doesn't suit my needs for power and performance I'm salivating over the carrot dangling before us all with the whispers of a 600 HP+ car.

My hunch is it will come out right about the time I can afford it. Bring it on. I'll be waiting.

The Shelby GT is a great looking car that should sell very well. Better performance, Shelby name and looks, and full warranty.
Old 8/10/06, 10:08 AM
V6 Member

I'm sorry, but maybe it's because I'm an old fart, grew up in the '50's and '60's, lived the "muscle car" era, and respected the name Carroll Shelby when it came to performance oriented Ford automobiles.

I grew up in a household that was strictly GM. My first car was a 1962 Chevy Impala SS 409, and I owned a progression of Chevrolet cars, until a close friend of mine purchased a 1965 Shelby GT350! That car was unbelievable. It handled like it was on rails, even on those skinny 7.8 inch wide tires! I became a Ford guy that summer in 1969, all because of that Shelby Mustang!

Todays young people seem to be all about the horsepower, with very little consideration given to the overall "balance" of the car. To me, this Shelby GT represents the essence of the original Shelby Mustangs. While it's bump in horsepower is modest, so was the original, only 35 horsepower over the HiPo 289.

This new Shelby GT's beauty is in the balance between power and handling, just like in the original! It probably won't be a terror on the drag strip, but I bet it will be a blast to drive on back country roads! And if the Ford dealers can keep a grip on their greed, it should be an affordable entry level Shelby Mustang for those who have never experienced a Shelby enhanced vehicle.

Also keep in mind, this car, unlike the completely Ford manufactured GT500, will have final assembly at Shelby Autos in Las Vegas, making it MORE Shelby than the GT500! That alone will likely ratchet up the resale value down the road, when you feel the need to go for the top dog in the Shelby lineup!

Quick Reply: Third Shelby Mustang: Shelby GT Joins GT-H and GT500!