Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What did you do to your '10-'14 today?

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/15, 10:14 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
She's looking fantastic Tom! That black with silver stripes and wheels all work together perfectly. you have a beauty there
Thanks Darren...and the rest of you guys.

The way you see it is usually how it looks at all times. Being retired affords me the opportunity to tend to it every day, even if it means just removing overnight garage dust or an errant smudge.

But I couldn't touch it the last 4-5 weeks. It's amazing how it can all go to hell in such a short period of time without even driving it much. Now that it's back to perfect and I'm feeling a little better, it'll be so much easier keeping it the way I want it to.

My eyes are still burning from all the sweat, my knuckles are bruised from cleaning inside the wheels, and my back is letting me know that it got a workout. And I loved every minute of it. I'm certain I'm not alone...all of you are probably just as **** as me.
Old 9/2/15, 10:21 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Thanks Darren...and the rest of you guys.

The way you see it is usually how it looks at all times. Being retired affords me the opportunity to tend to it every day, even if it means just removing overnight garage dust or an errant smudge.

But I couldn't touch it the last 4-5 weeks. It's amazing how it can all go to hell in such a short period of time without even driving it much. Now that it's back to perfect and I'm feeling a little better, it'll be so much easier keeping it the way I want it to.

My eyes are still burning from all the sweat, my knuckles are bruised from cleaning inside the wheels, and my back is letting me know that it got a workout. And I loved every minute of it. I'm certain I'm not alone...all of you are probably just as **** as me.
I don't know if mine would look that great. I am still working but try to do a little every night. Work on the inside detailing. A bit on the outside. Then of course the weekly wash and polish and tires etc. And still I don't think mine would look as good as yours - she looks MINT! Nice job! The one thing we haven't tackled that we do before storage is the rag top. I don't have a decent vacuum cleaner to start with but have the brush and the cleaner and the sealer. I think that will be a job just in itself and then - the wash and polish afterwards to the car as the water will drip down. Not looking forward to that one. But it can use it and I want to keep that top as good as new as I can so we can put off buying a new one 8 years from now.
Old 9/2/15, 11:01 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by pretender
The one thing we haven't tackled that we do before storage is the rag top. I don't have a decent vacuum cleaner to start with but have the brush and the cleaner and the sealer.
I use a stiff brush on the top after I've wet it down as part of my wash routine. After it's dry it still has residual lint on it, and I use a roller tape lint brush like you'd use on clothing. Works pretty well.

I know a lot of rag top owners don't like to use the boot. My Mustang is driven primarily in the summer, and it's kept in the garage top down, so my boot is almost always on it.

Aside from my preferred aesthetic reasons for keeping it on, it also protects the roof. I find I don't have to clean it that often.

The worst part is the inside of the back glass. You have to be a gymnast to get back there. Mine stays dirty most of the time except when I can bribe my tiny, 13 year niece to do it for me.

Check this out....I replaced the cheap nylon boot with a vinyl but leather look-a-like and it makes so much more of a difference.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your '10-'14 today?-csam_1034.jpg   What did you do to your '10-'14 today?-csam_1037.jpg  
Old 9/2/15, 11:24 AM
GT Member

I use a stiff brush on the top after I've wet it down as part of my wash routine. After it's dry it still has residual lint on it, and I use a roller tape lint brush like you'd use on clothing. Works pretty well.

I know a lot of rag top owners don't like to use the boot. My Mustang is driven primarily in the summer, and it's kept in the garage top down, so my boot is almost always on it.

Aside from my preferred aesthetic reasons for keeping it on, it also protects the roof. I find I don't have to clean it that often.

The worst part is the inside of the back glass. You have to be a gymnast to get back there. Mine stays dirty most of the time except when I can bribe my tiny, 13 year niece to do it for me.

Check this out....I replaced the cheap nylon boot with a vinyl but leather look-a-like and it makes so much more of a difference.
Wow that does look nice. Can I ask where you got it and about how much? We haven't used the boot yet. How easy is yours to put on and off. Usually if I drive to work I keep the top up during the day and put it down when driving home, we are a bit paranoid about leaving it down unattended and in the garage as well and then the interior as well as the exterior would get pretty dusty. I think we will try the brush when we wash the vehicle and do what you do. When it is dry we can coat it with the Ragtop sealer/protector. They say if you do it once or twice a year - in our case like yours only once as it is stored during the winter.

There is a special tool for cleaning inside of windows that might help - especially on the back - its made by Invisible Glass and I have seen it at some Walmarts - I think I bought mine from AutoGeek.

Cheapest at Walmart around 14 dollars.

My husband thought I was a fool to buy it and he used it and then told me it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Made it so much easier to clean. He was shocked. LOL - but yes the inside back window is hard to get at - but this gives you more reach! It might help that back window LOL.

Last edited by pretender; 9/2/15 at 11:32 AM.
Old 9/2/15, 12:23 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by pretender
Can I ask where you got it and about how much? We haven't used the boot yet. How easy is yours to put on and off. Usually if I drive to work I keep the top up during the day and put it down when driving home, we are a bit paranoid about leaving it down unattended and in the garage as well and then the interior as well as the exterior would get pretty dusty.

I got the boot from these guys:

http://hillbankmotorsports.com/conve...05-14-all.html

It was $289, and you can specify the stitching color. I chose white since I have the 401A interior with cashmere stripe.

Frankly, putting the boot on can be a PITA at first. It's a little awkward, especially the OEM nylon boot which is stiffer than my vinyl replacement. But like anything else it gets easier each time you do it. It takes me about a minute.

As far as leaving the top down/boot on in the garage, I figured that the less I use the top, the longer I preserve it. The GT Premium 'vert top is cloth, as is yours on the CS I believe and I'm sure it's not cheap to replace. I still give my top a workout occasionally to keep it in shape, but by leaving it down most of the time I figure it's easier to wipe down interior dust that go through the expense of wearing out the top and mechanism. It's just a matter of personal choice....we all do things differently and there really is no right or wrong. Of course winter storage dictates leaving it up for several months, but I keep a cover on the car as well.

I've tried those wand type glass tools, but it seems the handle is too flexible and I can't put any elbow grease into the cleaning process.

I like your CS a lot. Red is a great color on a coupe or 'vert. The dealer where I got mine had two GT convertibles in stock, the other being a RR GT/CS. I really fell in love with the way it looked, but it was an automatic and I wanted a stick.

Black looks amazing when it's done right and that means a full time commitment. However, I suspect that no matter what color I would have gotten, I'd be just as **** about keeping it looking better than new. My neighbors think I'm not right in the head.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 9/2/15, 12:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as leaving the top down/boot on in the garage, I figured that the less I use the top, the longer I preserve it. The GT Premium 'vert top is cloth, as is yours on the CS I believe and I'm sure it's not cheap to replace. I still give my top a workout occasionally to keep it in shape, but by leaving it down most of the time I figure it's easier to wipe down interior dust that go through the expense of wearing out the top and mechanism. It's just a matter of personal choice....we all do things differently and there really is no right or wrong. Of course winter storage dictates leaving it up for several months, but I keep a cover on the car as well.

I keep my top up any time it's in the garage, just cause I don't like the idea of it being all folded up (increase in wrinkles, especially around the rear quarter panel area) for long periods of time. Plus it keeps it stretched.

I don't know which is better, but like you said, we all do things a little differently...
Old 9/2/15, 12:49 PM
GT Member

I got the boot from these guys:

http://hillbankmotorsports.com/conve...05-14-all.html

It was $289, and you can specify the stitching color. I chose white since I have the 401A interior with cashmere stripe.

Frankly, putting the boot on can be a PITA at first. It's a little awkward, especially the OEM nylon boot which is stiffer than my vinyl replacement. But like anything else it gets easier each time you do it. It takes me about a minute.

I've tried those wand type glass tools, but it seems the handle is too flexible and I can't put any elbow grease into the cleaning process.

I like your CS a lot. Red is a great color on a coupe or 'vert. The dealer where I got mine had two GT convertibles in stock, the other being a RR GT/CS. I really fell in love with the way it looked, but it was an automatic and I wanted a stick.

Black looks amazing when it's done right and that means a full time commitment. However, I suspect that no matter what color I would have gotten, I'd be just as **** about keeping it looking better than new. My neighbors think I'm not right in the head.

Thanks for your comments.
Thanks for the information. I will have to look into that. I never thought about the wearing out from the constant up and down and it doesn't take too long to detail the inside for dust. I love the RR/Black but yes it has to be a manual - an automatic just doesn't cut it. I am also wondering if it is worthwhile to get a Raxiom Mustang Auto-Dim with rear camera to see what is happening behind the beast. I am having a hard time figuring out how the back would look with a camera someplace....I have been looking for pics but AM only has a pic of the mirror. I did find some 19 x 18.5 machined black and chrome wheels (GT500 wheels LOL) that would look pretty nice on the ol CS. But all this stuff is so pricey. The exhaust was 1200 with valance, got a GT/CS stainless foot rest to protect the carpet next to the clutch pedal - not much and a license plate holder not advertising the dealer - Mustang GT - too bad they didn't have a GT/CS one LOL. The mirror and camera runs 415 clearance price and the wheels also AM run 165 a piece. I think I could probably live without the wheels until we need tires. The mirror just seems like a good idea - we have a neighborhood full of kids and near schools so lots of traffic for a small thru street. I like the idea of knowing how far I can back up - bad enough I can't judge the hood length. LOL Despite the small problems - I LOVE THIS CAR! Truly a wonderful gift. Kudo's again on keeping that Beautiful Black Beast looking so mint!
Old 9/2/15, 01:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Iceknyght
I keep my top up any time it's in the garage, just cause I don't like the idea of it being all folded up (increase in wrinkles, especially around the rear quarter panel area) for long periods of time. Plus it keeps it stretched.

I don't know which is better, but like you said, we all do things a little differently...
Another good thought. I just like the look of the boot. But to take it off and on all the time seems like a lot of trouble for short drives. If we were doing a long trip I could see putting it on. I think I would tend to want to put the top up for the night at a hotel and locked - then put it down in the morning for the rest of your trip. Daily just seems to be a question of what is better for the top. Less up and down - or keep it stretched so the cloth stays taunt. Plus with the Ragtop cleaner and protector we bought I had hoped that would help the cloth. ??? Or did I fall into a marketing hole on that one.
Old 9/2/15, 11:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Met up with one of my S550 buddies tonight and got some amazing pics. I can't wait to post more!!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your '10-'14 today?-photo403.jpg  
Old 9/2/15, 11:45 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Met up with one of my S550 buddies tonight and got some amazing pics. I can't wait to post more!!

wow I LOVE that photo!
Old 9/2/15, 11:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Darren, just wait!!!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your '10-'14 today?-photo934.jpg  
Old 9/2/15, 11:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your '10-'14 today?-photo359.jpg  
Old 9/2/15, 11:51 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Finally got the big brake kit and the 410 gears installed today. Unfortunately the weather has been horrible all week so she got soiled when i dropped her off and it poured cats and dogs on the way home. so no play time to get used to any of the goodies yet. The bama tune had to relearn itself during the ride home too. The brakes definitely felt good.

Old 9/3/15, 04:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Darren, that looks good of course ... what size tires are you running on those BMC's ... front and rear?
Old 9/3/15, 05:38 AM
FR500 Member

Man, your Mustang looks low....is it bagged?

Great pic btw, Patrick.
Attached Images  
Old 9/3/15, 05:40 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Darren, looks awesome. Fits really nice
Old 9/3/15, 05:41 AM
FR500 Member

Finally got the big brake kit and the 410 gears installed today. The bama tune had to relearn itself during the ride home too. The brakes definitely felt good.

Good luck with the new performance mods Darren. And the more I see those wheels, the more I like them on your car.
Old 9/3/15, 07:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Man, your Mustang looks low....is it bagged?

Great pic btw, Patrick.
No...not yet...

I called my vinyl shop and tried to get in for the invasion stripes, but they don't have any openings until the end of the month oh well, stripes/stars and bars coming soon!
Old 9/3/15, 08:35 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
Darren, that looks good of course ... what size tires are you running on those BMC's ... front and rear?
thanks Gabe. I'm running 275/30/20 and 305/30/20.

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Darren, looks awesome. Fits really nice
Thank you Burton! I'll be detailing this weekend

Good luck with the new performance mods Darren. And the more I see those wheels, the more I like them on your car.
Thank you Tom. I plan on easing my way into it. whole new car...AGAIN
Old 9/3/15, 09:13 AM
FR500 Member

Thank you Tom. I plan on easing my way into it. whole new car...AGAIN
The 4.10's and Brembos are old news already, Darren. What's planned for next month?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your '10-'14 today?