Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Talk me out of changing my order again to get a GT

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/10, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gene K
Chevys the one thing Ive noticed is the split between 5 and 6 is relatively wide. This is one area 3.73 might help. With 3.55 I have to go to about 1800 rpm in 5th (40 mph) before shifting to 6th to keep it from feeling labored at moderaet throttle. With 3.31 you would likely need to get up to 45 mph or so before it would be comfortable in 6th.

That said the engine is so smooth and utterly unstrained sounding at 40 mph you have to look at the tach to tell if you are in 4th, 5th, or 6th with the 3.55. I would think 45 mph would be similar with 3.31.
Gene, I totally understand what you are saying. I am used to a Mach 1 with 3.55 gears and a 3650 trans. The 5th gear in it is a .62 instead of the .67 in the GT's. Its like a six speed with no 5th. There is a big gap between 4th and 5th.

So far most of the discussion has revolved around drag racing and what rpm you go through the traps with ect... For an everyday driver I am still unsure what would be best for me. I have no gripes with the gearing on my Mach 1. Initially, I though it would be geared too high but I am very satisfied with it overall.

As I said before, gas mileage does matter. Most people who went to 4.10 in the mach 1s claim they may have picked up a mpg in town and lost a mpg on the road. Give or take of course. I almost wonder if 3.73's dont make 1st gear almost useless also. I have never waffled so bad on something in my life. If I buy one of these cars it will not be modded to any extent and be driven on trips and on the street as its main purpose.

I dont want to short change myself in performance but dont want to get killed at the gas pump either. Truth be known, I bet there is not much difference in performance or gas mileage with any of the three gears. Still leaning at 3.55 but I want to hear from owners of all.
Old 5/18/10, 09:58 PM
V6 Member

So 3.55's would be best for a DD?
Old 5/18/10, 10:38 PM
V6 Member

Chevys,

Glad you are asking.

Gene, thank you for your thoughts.

I too am watching this thread and wondering what is best for something that is more freeway than city, glad it is being discussed.
Old 5/19/10, 12:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by treygil
Chevys,

Glad you are asking.

Gene, thank you for your thoughts.

I too am watching this thread and wondering what is best for something that is more freeway than city, glad it is being discussed.
I didnt mean to hijack the original posters thread. I have done a search and read every single gear thread. Most, if not all pertain to drag racing. Perhaps we should start a thread about gears for DD only with stock cars and maybe minor bolt ons?
Old 5/19/10, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars

I love a girl who can work a pole.

Talk me out of changing my order again to get a GT-apolo_ohno.jpg
Old 5/19/10, 09:01 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by m4reapr
Finally figured out that was Apolo Anton Ohno. Thought for the longest time that was an old picture of Joey Lawrence.
Old 5/19/10, 09:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chevys
I didnt mean to hijack the original posters thread. I have done a search and read every single gear thread. Most, if not all pertain to drag racing. Perhaps we should start a thread about gears for DD only with stock cars and maybe minor bolt ons?
I am with you on this. I care about the performance AND the fuel mileage since I will be DD over 80 miles a day in it. From reading Gene's earlier posts I am sticking with the 3.31. So I can't quite catch the Z06 Vette like one of the articles posted, sure seems like I'll come close enough...IN A MUSTANG! I also agree that from other reports the gearing is becoming a minute issue with this car/engine/transmission. Sounds like it's a winners game all around. As my car will spend more time on the road then on a track. I may never track the car but I would love to do some track time, just for enthusiasts. I think it will be fine. Just my opinions though. Still a daily driver and that's what's important to what seems like many of us.

Originally Posted by tmclaugh
Finally figured out that was Apolo Anton Ohno. Thought for the longest time that was an old picture of Joey Lawrence.
I thought Justin Bieber.
Old 5/19/10, 09:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
I am with you on this. I care about the performance AND the fuel mileage since I will be DD over 80 miles a day in it. From reading Gene's earlier posts I am sticking with the 3.31. So I can't quite catch the Z06 Vette like one of the articles posted, sure seems like I'll come close enough...IN A MUSTANG!
What? Z06 is 505HP (470lb-ft) and has a curb weight under 3200lbs. It's not even close.
Old 5/19/10, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
What? Z06 is 505HP (470lb-ft) and has a curb weight under 3200lbs. It's not even close.
There was some article where they were discussing how a new 2011 5.0 was keeping up with a c5 z06 vette.
Old 5/19/10, 09:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
There was some article where they were discussing how a new 2011 5.0 was keeping up with a c5 z06 vette.
Oh, C5. 2001 - 2004 Z06.
Old 5/19/10, 09:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I don't think anyone should be embarassed about getting the 3.31's.
It was more of an elaboration to exaggerate my point. Not really literal.

See: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tra...brembo-brakes/

"I perhaps foolishly opined that “C5 Z06 pilots will need to find a twisty road lest they be run nose-to-tail down long freeway sprints.” Now I’ve found myself fifty feet behind an enthusiastically-driven C5 Z06, and it’s squatting with full throttle up Shenandoah’s Bridge Straight. This will be a straight drag race, and for extra irony it’s going to occur on a road course. Four tires chirp. Sixteen cylinders sing. Forty to one hundred and ten miles per hour. Up a hill. Was I wrong? Can the mighty five-point-oh hunt for Corvettes?"
"Yes. It can. At least when said five-point-oh is equipped with the optional 3.73 axle ratio that, along with a pricey set of Brembo front brakes...No measurable gap appeared between the two cars before both went briefly airborne at the end of the sharply peaked Bridge Straight. Once we landed, the Z06 driver did the sensible thing and signaled for us to pass before the entrance to the Nurburgring-replica Karussell which is Shenandoah’s trademark feature."

Last edited by Automagically; 5/19/10 at 09:54 AM.
Old 5/19/10, 09:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
I don't think anyone should be embarassed about getting the 3.31's.
It was more of an elaboration to exaggerate my point. Not really literal.

See: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tra...brembo-brakes/

"I perhaps foolishly opined that “C5 Z06 pilots will need to find a twisty road lest they be run nose-to-tail down long freeway sprints.” Now I’ve found myself fifty feet behind an enthusiastically-driven C5 Z06, and it’s squatting with full throttle up Shenandoah’s Bridge Straight. This will be a straight drag race, and for extra irony it’s going to occur on a road course. Four tires chirp. Sixteen cylinders sing. Forty to one hundred and ten miles per hour. Up a hill. Was I wrong? Can the mighty five-point-oh hunt for Corvettes?"
"Yes. It can. At least when said five-point-oh is equipped with the optional 3.73 axle ratio that, along with a pricey set of Brembo front brakes...No measurable gap appeared between the two cars before both went briefly airborne at the end of the sharply peaked Bridge Straight. Once we landed, the Z06 driver did the sensible thing and signaled for us to pass before the entrance to the Nurburgring-replica Karussell which is Shenandoah’s trademark feature."
C5 Z06 makes sense, they are rated pretty similarly. 2001 Z06 is 385HP. 2002 - 2004 are 405HP. Z06 still has the weight advantage at around 3250.
Old 5/19/10, 10:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

C5 Z06 makes sense, they are rated pretty similarly. 2001 Z06 is 385HP. 2002 - 2004 are 405HP. Z06 still has the weight advantage at around 3250.
Yeah, I remember when the '01 Z06's were comming out, quite the beast for what it was. Still no lame duck. Finally a C5 that didn't rattle to death.
Old 5/19/10, 11:04 AM
V6 Member

Man, get whatever you truly want to get. If having the GT is truly important, you can always cut back on some misc. expenses you probably incur every month to pay for the car. Three years will fly by and if you are getting the 0%, you should be good to go man.

In terms of living in DC, I commute into Northern VA from MD every day (40+ miles each way). My CS already has close to 41,000 miles in two years. Some people tell me I should buy a beater and park the CS, but personally, a car was made to be driven and I could not see it just sitting in the garage. I drive it every day rain or shine and really enjoy it. The car is still bone stock and if you are going to be commuting around here, just make sure you take care of the car and paint. I make sure it gets waxed at least 4 times per year and washed every other week. I did that for my 2001 V6 ever since I bought it 9 years ago, and today at 110xxxx miles, it still looks pretty **** sharp.
Old 5/19/10, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

I plan to claybar/klasse high glaze sealant my new Stang at least twice a year, and wash it every few weeks (car is kept in a garage all week except on weekends).
Old 5/20/10, 11:50 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
I plan to claybar/klasse high glaze sealant my new Stang at least twice a year, and wash it every few weeks (car is kept in a garage all week except on weekends).
Funny you mention that. I just claybared my car last week for the first time ever in my life. The paint feels really nice now. Very very smooth. I am not sure if I did it correctly, but based on what I saw in the instructions, sounded like a no brainer so I gave it a go.
Old 5/20/10, 12:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by lutador83
Funny you mention that. I just claybared my car last week for the first time ever in my life. The paint feels really nice now. Very very smooth. I am not sure if I did it correctly, but based on what I saw in the instructions, sounded like a no brainer so I gave it a go.
I guess it's a little late now, but read this page and watch the video.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html