The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2010-2014 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/)
-   -   Talk me out of changing my order again to get a GT (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/talk-me-out-changing-my-order-again-get-gt-483080/)

jokerstars 5/9/10 06:36 PM

Talk me out of changing my order again to get a GT

The monthly payment difference for 36 months 0% apr would be $765 for the GT versus $632 for the V6. They'd both have the glass room and rear cam. I know you're not supposed to look at cars as monthly payments over a whole...but how can I turn down a GT for an extra 130 bucks a month?

I'm not joking. Talk me out of this. I have no VIN/build date yet so I'm driving myself mad by tweaking my order. My dealer's gonna kill me if I call him to change it again.

houtex 5/9/10 06:46 PM

Get the GT. If you're going to pay $632/month for teh v6, then you have money to burn, my friend, and I say, burn it all for something you're gonna have fun with! :metal:

However, I got a money saving idea. Get 0% for 48, and the V6, and send a few bucks to me because I've saved you some money each month? That's $158 back in your pocket each month vs the 36/month on the v6 alone. I'll take $25/month as a consulting fee for the term, leaving you with $133 each month for gas money! What do you say? :nice:

/If you're looking at it from a money standpoint, anyway...
//If you can't get 0%/48, well... ****, what's up with them?
///New wheels, here I come!... in 48 months :)

mustangfan123 5/9/10 06:48 PM

Well I think it depends on if you really want the additional 107 HP and 5.0 4V V8 engine with more aftermarket capability and a better exhaust note. Will you be able to enjoy the 5.0 enough more than the V6 to dish out 130$ extra a month? I think it would be best to test drive both, but if that's not an option then oh well.

As long as you can comfortably afford the 5.0 and want it a lot then I'd say buy it. You only live once and don't worry about your dealer because even if he gets mad, the customer comes first. ;)

jokerstars 5/9/10 06:49 PM

If I could get 48 months at 0% I'd DEFINITELY get the GT.

jokerstars 5/9/10 06:50 PM

I take the metro to work every day. I drive my car literally maybe twice or three times a week on the weekend, to go less than 15 miles. Year mileage on this baby would probably be less than 4,000 miles.

That's part of the reason I can't justify a GT to myself. I don't drive enough and where I live is so congested it's ALWAYS stop and go traffic. No cool twisty mountain roads. I test drove a 2007 GT and I loved the V8 acceleration feeling. The 2007 4.0L V6 couldn't even compare. I'm ordering a 2011 V6 gambling that it's going to be a lot better than the old V6.

Ltngdrvr 5/9/10 06:53 PM

The insureance will cost a LOT more for the GT, probably almost twice as much owing to the fact that you seem to be VERY young by what you have posted.

So, taking that into consideration, can you still afford the GT?

mustangfan123 5/9/10 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by jokerstars (Post 5865150)
I take the metro to work every day. I drive my car literally maybe twice or three times a week on the weekend, to go less than 15 miles. Year mileage on this baby would probably be less than 4,000 miles.

That's part of the reason I can't justify a GT to myself. I don't drive enough and where I live is so congested it's ALWAYS stop and go traffic.

In that case the V6 sounds better for you. If it's always congested on the roads you won't be able to enjoy the extra 107 HP so it doesn't make sense to spend 130 extra a month. I was all for you upgrading your order to the GT until I saw how little and unspirited driving you would get to do in your car. :(

jokerstars 5/9/10 06:55 PM

I got a quote from USAA for both models. The 2011 V6 is 380 dollars for 6 months, the V8 is 475 dollars for 6 months.

mustangfan123 5/9/10 06:56 PM

That's actually not bad on insurance for both of them. :dunno:

m4reapr 5/9/10 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by jokerstars (Post 5865150)

to me your situation with not driving much is ALL the more reason to get a GT
mileage can't be justification for the V6 due to the small amount of commuting miles
the insurance you quoted is not much more, just the difference between an 8 and a 6

i grew up and lived in Mont. County, Rockville outskirts
i know what you're talking about with traffic, my parents still live there
but...get out of the city and there's plenty of roaming available

lots of money in the MD and Va suburbs, you need a car like the GT to compete

elvism 5/9/10 07:13 PM

for an extra $4.25 a day ??? think about all the excitement

go for it!!!!

jokerstars 5/9/10 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by m4reapr (Post 5865164)
lots of money in the MD and Va suburbs, you need a car like the GT to compete

Tell me about it. Everyone here drives a Benz, BMW, or Infiniti.

m4reapr 5/9/10 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by jokerstars (Post 5865169)
Tell me about it. Everyone here drives a Benz, BMW, or Infiniti.

yeah and you need to be able to go around them when they're parked in the left lane doing 60 and when you change lanes they speed up, never fails, i've been commuting down to Gaithersburg, Md for the last 11 years

jokerstars 5/9/10 07:24 PM

You all are supposed to talk me OUT of this. If I change to a GT I'll never get my car. It'll probably push me back in the queue and change my order code.

Rjaniz 5/9/10 07:28 PM

Here's my take...
This early "uncertainty" will grow into regret. It might take some time as you will probably be quite content with a V6, but in a year, two, maybe even 10, you will look back at not getting a GT and be kicking yourself that you didn't get what you REALLY wanted.

You're clearly at a time in your life where you can make these things happen, so why not make them happen your way?

2005GTDELUXE 5/9/10 07:37 PM

go 48 months with the GT and have the same payment or close, or if you can afford the 36 month $700+ payment on a GT , why in the world would you even consider less? :fear:

John H 5/9/10 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by elvism (Post 5865167)
for an extra $4.25 a day ???...go for it!!!!

Spoken like a true car salesman. :shame: No offense to any car salesmen on here.

I say, if you liked what you felt with the 2007 GT you test drove, then go with the V6. It's a much better car (from what I've heard/read) than the '05-'09s. It's got much better power than the previous V6 that you drove, so between the enhanced power, all around better vehicle and quality that it is, and the fact that the money saved over buying the GT could go to some performance mods here and there to make the V6 even better, why not?

I look at it this way: unless you would be able to EASILY afford the difference in payment and insurance costs for the GT, don't stretch yourself too far financially. You never know what the future may hold in terms of your job. Who knows if you'll be needing/wanting to make a large purchase like a house or something before you'd have it paid off. And even if left bone stock, the new V6 cars are in a different league than the previous ones. Just because you CAN afford something when crunching the numbers, that doesn't always mean you SHOULD do it. That's one of the things that got this economy so screwed up over the last several years, myself included.

2010MustangGT 5/9/10 07:56 PM

Just keep the V6. It'll be solid for a first Mustang.
If you originally questioned the extra 5k+ did you consider the grade of fuel needed and mileage they offer? You'll get more bang out of the v6. And you can pocket the 140/month and mod the hell out of it. Plus your insurance will/should... be less as well.

cdynaco 5/9/10 08:03 PM

Why worry about 36 months?? If its 0%, take the 60 and bank the diff. Danversbank in Boston pays 4% on a freakin' checking account! (if you jump thru a few hoops)
http://ratebrain.com/

The 5.0 GT will hold better value that the V6. And the V8 fun factor is in a different league (even though its a great V6).

Since you take public trans, you're just extending its lifetime (unless your a frequent trader).

Because of snow, my 08 B sits garaged for 5 months and I reduce the ins. Only have 10k after 2 yrs.

Although I have 2 lane twisties all around me, you may have to drive to WV, or VA or NC for yours. But those weekend drives are worth it - just like only getting to drive mine for half a year, the thrill is worth it!! I throw a backpack and a cooler in the backseat down/trunk and I'm gone for an overnighter.

Or get a Prius. :fear: ;)

2k7gtcs 5/9/10 08:03 PM

Stick with the V6. It's a great car. You'll love it. I saw a Race Red one on the dealer lot today and I gotta say its badass to finally see factory dual exhaust on a V6 Mustang. :metal:

What's another $4.25 a day? Gas in the car? And insurance too?

Why stop at a GT? Why not go to GT500? :jester:

Seriously though. You chose a V6 to start with based on your gut. Stick with it. You will be happy.