Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/11, 06:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackLead
I seem to recall similar issues with the introduction of the Tremec TR3650 in the early 2001 Mustang GTs and Bullits, and the later Machs. I don't know that it was ever actually resolved; at one point, I think that Ford was saying it was a bad Tremec design, and Tremec was saying that Ford dictated the requirements of the design, and took the low road (cheaper over better). Either way, the customer was left with a 2-3 grind and a sour outlook on Ford. I'd really thought they'd gotten this one right this time.
There was a rebuild kit that was issued for the T3650. Some of the internals were redesigned to eliminate the grind.

On my previous '03 Mach 1, that fix was attempted but the reverse gear was lost. I wound up with a new transmission that had the revised parts. No issues after that.

I suspect that there are some major revisions going on to address this for the 2013 model year, which would be the next chance to see this corrected without getting into trying to introduce a change as a part of 2012, which will most likely end in a few months.

Between the NHTSA investigation and what I believe is probably going on in the engineering end, I expect to see a satisfactory resolution.
Old 8/9/11, 06:42 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is too similar to the whole Toyota mess. Back then everyone knew that Toyotas were accelerating out of control for no reason and people were coming out of the woodworks claiming it happened to them too, but after an investigation driver error was cited. What is going to happen here if the NHTSA finds nothing? The forums will explode...

I for one am glad there is an official investigation. Hopefully this will end all the "I have 30+ years experience on a manual so it can't be my fault" or "the forum poll says 50% of owners have problems so 50% of all MT82s must be faulty" crap we are seeing every day from people with problems. We will finally see something official. This will either vindicate jmatero or blacklist him, we will see. I am still skeptical about how widespread it is, but time will tell.
Old 8/9/11, 06:49 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jmatero

Because I have no idea how you do it

LOLOL

Actually, as my Mustang is no longer safe to drive, I work a lot from home.

That's how I'm able to post
Valid point. Good luck to you, sir!
Old 8/9/11, 06:54 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by falhulk
Ok, thats unlike anything I have seen any one claim. How does the transmission lock him out AND the wheels lock???
Several of these claims make no sense... A few say they were sitting at a light and saw someone barreling down on them. They then couldn't engage first and were afraid they would be hit from behind as the other car slammed on their brakes and barely stopped in time. What was the person in the Mustang going to do anyways? Shift into first and pull into an intersection when their light was red and there were probably people coming the other way?

There is no doubt people are having problems, but when stuff like this is posted it does not help. It probably gums up the works as the NHTSA has to then sift through the crap to get to the real complaints...

Last edited by JobeNole44; 8/9/11 at 06:56 AM.
Old 8/9/11, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
How do you manage read all those forums? Do YOU ever sleep?
Touchè salesman, touchè
Old 8/9/11, 07:04 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hello my awesome members!!

Well, we all know about this NHTSA investigation going on about these transmissions. No one knows how long this investigation will take. I am still here to help you guys. If anyone is experiencing any concerns with their vehicle, please make an appointment with your Ford dealer as soon as possible. Then, private message me with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer info. This way, I can get this escalated and get this situation worked out. Please, continue to stay strong and thank you for your support!

Deysha
Old 8/9/11, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Overnight, the following new reports were submitted to the NHTSA. It appears some service departments are submitting reports on behalf of customers now that the investigation is under way:

Component: POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Summary:
TL- THE CONTACT OWNS A 2012 FORD MUSTANG. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE VEHICLE GETS STUCK WHEN TRYING TO SHIFT IN AND OUT OF FIFTH GEAR. THE CONTACT HAS TAKEN THE VEHICLE TO THE DEALER AND WAS TOLD THIS A KNOWN ISSUE, BUT THERE NOT A FIX AT THIS TIME. THE VIN WAS UNKNOWN. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 1,700. RL
Summary:
2011 MUSTANG GT, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, WITH 11,000 MILES ON IT. STARTED HAVING SOME TROUBLE SHIFTING GEARS WITH GRINDING NOTED AROUND 10,000 MILES AT 11,800 MILES WHILE ON VACATION, CLUTCH LOCKED UP COMPLETELY AND WOULDN'T GO INTO GEAR AT ALL. THE PRESSURE PLATE BOLTS HAD WORKED OUT AND SHEARED OFF VARIOUS PIECES. THE ENTIRE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY HAD TO BE REPLACED. MUSTANG FORUMS HAD WARNED US THAT THIS COULD HAPPEN. DEALER TOLD US ALL THE PARTS WERE ON BACKORDER FOR UNKNOWN TIME BUT WAS ABLE TO HAVE THE PARTS SHIPPED FROM ANOTHER DEALER 1500 MILES AWAY.
Summary:
2011 FORD MUSTANG 6 SP MANUAL TRANSMISSION. SPROATIC PROBLEMS SHIFTING INTO AND FROM HIGHER GEAAR. CAR HAS A TENDENCY TO ALMOST STALL FROM STOP. I HAVE LONG EXPERIENCE WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS. VEHICLE DELIVERED 09/10/2010-SPECIAL ORDER MUSTANG PREMIUM V-6.
Summary:
TRANSMISSION GRINDS 1-2, 2-3,3-4 SHIFTS INTERMITTENTLY. OCCASIONALLY LOCKED OUT OF GEARS. TRANSMISSION REBUILT AT FORD DEALER ONLY TO HAVE THE PROBLEM RETURN. AFTER MY TRANSMISSION WAS REBUILT IT SHIFTED NICELY FOR ABOUT A MONTH. NOW IT IS BEGINNING TO GRIND AGAIN AND TODAY I WAS LOCKED OUT OF SECOND GEAR AND THIRD GEAR. I WAS LEAVING A LIGHT ON A HILL IN FIRST GEAR, WENT TO SHIFT INTO SECOND AND COULDN'T ENGAGE IT (NOT SKIP SHIFT RELATED AS I WAS OVER 3000 RPM), WENT FOR THIRD AND NO LUCK THERE, BY THIS TIME THE CAR WAS ALMOST BACK TO A COMPLETE STOP AND PEOPLE WERE SWERVING AROUND ME (VERY FRIGHTENING WITH MY 4 YEAR OLD IN THE CAR). I PUT THE CAR BACK IN FIRST GEAR AND WAS ABLE TO SHIFT NORMALLY THROUGH 6TH GEAR. SINCE REBUILD DEALER CLAIMS TO BE UNABLE TO REPLICATE THE PROBLEM. WHEN THE TRANSMISSION WAS APART I WAS ABLE TO SEE THAT 2ND GEAR WAS MISSING MORE THAN HALF OF THE DOG TEETH ON THE SYNCHRO RING.
Summary:
CAR: 2011 MUSTANG V6 WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION MILES: 3600 THE PROBLEM: THE GEAR SHIFT IS VERY NOTCHY AND ROUGH, ESPECIALLY FROM 1-2 AND 2-3. THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES WHEN I WANTED TO MAKE A LEFT TURN AT A LIGHT AND MISTAKENLY GONE INTO THIRD GEAR FROM NEUTRAL BECAUSE THE GEAR REFUSES TO GO INTO 1 EASILY. SO I END UP NOT HAVING ENOUGH ACCELERATION TO BEAT ONCOMING TRAFFIC. I HAVE ALMOST HAD THREE CRASHES THIS WAY. OTHER TIMES SHIFTING FROM 1-2 OR 2-3 CAUSES AN INCOMPLETE SHIFT BECAUSE OF SOME RESISTANCE IN THE GEAR BOX. THIS LEADS TO A JARRING, LOUD GRINDING NOISE EMANATING FROM THE GEAR BOX. THIS ALSO LEADS TO LOSS OF ACCELERATION AND I HAVE BEEN ALMOST REAR ENDED A FEW TIMES. THESE PROBLEMS OCCUR ON AND OFF MOSTLY WHEN STARTING OFF FROM A STOP (FROM NEUTRAL) AND AT HIGH RPM GEAR CHANGES. RESOLUTION: I'VE TAKEN THE CAR INTO THE DEALERSHIP AND THEY CHANGED THE TRANSMISSION FLUID AS PER THE FORD TSB. THIS FIXED THE PROBLEM FOR A MILE AND THE PROBLEM STARTED OCCURRING AGAIN. I TOOK THE CAR IN AGAIN ON THE INSISTENCE OF THE SERVICE MANAGER AND HE DROVE IT AROUND AND ACKNOWLEDGED THE ISSUE AS WELL. HE SAID HE WOULD GET IN TOUCH WITH FORD TO SEE IF THERE WAS ANY FIX. HE GOT BACK TO ME A FEW WEEKS LATER AND SAID THAT FORD DOESN'T HAVE ANY RESOLUTION AND DOESN'T SEEM TO EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE THE ISSUE. FINAL THOUGHTS: I THINK THE TRASMISSION PROBLEMS IS AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN. I AM EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED THAT A NEW CAR HAS THESE ISSUES. IT IS A GREAT CAR OTHERWISE. FORD NEEDS TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE ISSUE AND FIX IT SOON. I'VE ALSO FOUND THAT SOME 2012 MUSTANGS HAVE THE SAME ISSUE WITH THE GEAR BOX. IT IS APPALLING TO THINK THAT THE COMPANY WOULD CONTINUE TO USE THE SAME TRANSMISSION PARTS IN SPITE OF THE ISSUES IN THE 2011 MODELS. THIS IS AMOUNTS TO A BLAZEN DISREGARD TO CONSUMER SAFETY AND EXPERIENCE. I STRONGLY SUGGEST THE NHTSA PRESSURES THE CAR COMPANY TO FIX THIS ISSUE AND IF NO SUCH RESOLUTION IS FORTHCOMING TO FORCE THEM TO ISSUE A RECALL. SINCERELY AN UNHAPPY FORD DRIVER
Summary:
TL- THE CONTACT OWNS A 2011 FORD MUSTANG. THE CONTACT STATED WHILE SHIFTING FROM FIRST GEAR TO SECOND GEAR THE SHIFT GET STUCK. THE CONTACT STATED THE SHIFT HAD TO BE FORCED INTO GEARS. THE CONTACT HAD NOT TAKEN THE VEHICLE TO DEALER NOR A MECHANIC. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 10,200. JO
omponent: UNKNOWN OR OTHER
Summary:
NORMAL EVERYDAY DRIVING, MOSTLY HIGHWAY DRIVING BACK AND FORTH TO WORK. I BOUGHT THE CAR BRAND NEW AND AT THIS TIME IT HAS ABOUT 10K MILES. SINCE I BOUGHT IT I NOTICED IT WAS HARD TO SHIFT INTO GEARS. OVER TIME IT GOT WORSE. IT GOT TO THE POINT THAT I COULD NOT PUT IT INTO REVERSE AND FIRST GEAR, I HAD TO START OUT IN SECOND GEAR. I TOOK MY CAR INTO THE SHOP TO REPAIR THE ITEM AND THEY SAID IT WAS THE CLUTCH PLATE. BOTTOM LINE IS THAT IT WAS A BRAND NEW CAR AND SHOULDN'T HAVE THIS KIND OF PROBLEM. I ALSO FEEL THAT IT COULD HAVE CAUSED DAMAGE TO THE TRANSMISSION WHICH THE DEALER WILL NOT ADMIT TO.
Summary:
6 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION HARD SHIFTING, ALSO PRONOUNCED VIBRATION ON DECELERATION AT APPROX 2500 RPM - 2200-RPM. DEALER CLAIMS IS NORMAL.
Summary:
TRANSMISSION GRINDS FROM 1ST-2ND WHEN COLD AND INTERMITTENTLY WHEN AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE. TSB FOR "ROUGH SHIFTING" HAS BEEN PERFORMED. WHINING FROM TRANSMISSION STARTED AROUND 800 MILES AND STILL REMAINS. WHEN ATTEMPTING TO SHIFT INTO 3RD GEAR VEHICLE FREQUENTLY LOCKS ME OUT LEAVING ME SLOWING DOWN IN TRAFFIC TO FIND A GEAR THAT WILL ENGAGE. ALSO EXPERIENCE LOCK OUT WHEN DOWN SHIFTING INTO EITHER 2ND OR 1ST GEAR. THESE ERRATIC SHIFTING ISSUES ARE A DAILY OCCURRENCE AND I'M CONCERNED FOR MY SAFETY IN THE VEHICLE.
Summary:
TRANSMISSION IN MY 2011 FORD MUSTANG GT 6-SPEED MANUAL, (PRESENTLY @ 4900 MILES)HAS ISSUES OF TRYING TO ENTER SECOND GEAR ON VARIOUS OCCASIONS. AS WELL AS A TERRIBLE WHINING NOISE STARTED AROUND LATE 3000MILES.
Summary:
VEHICLE TRANSMISSION REFUSES TO GO IN TO REVERSE AT TIMES. ALSO GRINDS EVERYTIME WHILE SHIFTING IN TO 2ND GEAR FROM 1ST GEAR, MAINLY WHILE TURNING CORNERS BUT ALSO WHEN GOING IN A STRAIGHT LINE. TRANSMISSIONS PERFORMANCE DOES NOT IMPROVE AFTER COMING TO NORMAL OPERATING TEMPATURE. TRANSMISSION IS CLUNKY AND JUST DOES NOT SHIFT PROPERLY. NOT SMOOTH, NOT NEW CAR LIKE.
Old 8/9/11, 08:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by chevys
PS I think the Boss 302 is the best Mustang every built but its a shame that Ford apparently cut a corner on the transmission. That just does not sit well with me and I bet the sale price of them will tank very soon. Be patient if you want to purchase one.

Due to Fords quality control issues they are by themselves driving the price down into the ground. Good job Ford.
Great news. When the price on the 302 plummets I will purchase another one and trust that it will have a flawless transmission similar to my current 302. My missed shifts have all been driver input error thus far. (now where did I put that rabbit foot?)
Old 8/9/11, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Here's the reality of the situation... Right down to brass tacks:

WHEN THE DRIVER OF A MANUAL TRANSMISSION VEHICLE FULLY DEPRESSES THE CLUTCH PEDAL... AND MOVES THE SHIFTER... IT SHOULD GO INTO GEAR. NOT GRIND. NOT BIND. PLAIN AND SIMPLE

Mustang owner's have been complaining for a year and a half now... And no response from Ford. This company has been designing and building rear wheel drive manual transmission vehicles for over 100 years.

FIX IT
+1 Amen to that. I am very glad I didn't buy a few months back. I'll wait and see if they resolve this issue.
Old 8/9/11, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow, these reports are all over the place. Not describing 1 issue or 1 way to reproduce the problem. If you are trying to diagnose and fix a problem this stuff is just noise. Hopefully the dealerships are passing along more targeted descriptions.
Old 8/9/11, 09:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
Great news. When the price on the 302 plummets I will purchase another one and trust that it will have a flawless transmission similar to my current 302. My missed shifts have all been driver input error thus far. (now where did I put that rabbit foot?)
See, mine has been perfect as well, but I dont doubt there are issues. I had a 2008 GT M5 that grinded from 2 to 3 with the clutch depressed fully to the floor when cold. Very similar to some of these descriptions. It went in for service and they acknowledged they were aware of the issue at Ford customer service. It still did this until I sold it.

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
What MT is in the GT500? Any problems there?
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by falhulk
Wow, these reports are all over the place. Not describing 1 issue or 1 way to reproduce the problem. If you are trying to diagnose and fix a problem this stuff is just noise. Hopefully the dealerships are passing along more targeted descriptions.
They're calling owners and scheduling inspections of cars. The folks reporting getting calls (fortunately) have cars where the problem is VERY easy to reproduce.
Old 8/9/11, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
What MT is in the GT500? Any problems there?
The GT500 along with the BOSS 302 R/S have the Tremec TR6060.

The V6, GT, and BOSS 302 have the Getrag-Ford MT82
Old 8/9/11, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by flySWA737
ShaneM,

That my friend is worst case scenario right there. I agree that situation was pretty dicey but the typical report that has been made to the NHTSA was talking about everyday driving in city or highway traffic, not the back roads in Texas.

It most likely will be either a silly manufacturer defect or that Ford is not providing the right fluid in their Motorcraft brand. Hopefully this will just be resolved once and for all so we can all just enjoy our cars and stop talking about this dang tranny.
Are you serious, after all the problems with this tranny you think it might be wrong fluid???
Old 8/9/11, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jlc41
Are you serious, after all the problems with this tranny you think it might be wrong fluid???
It's possible but Land Rover Defender and Ford Transit Van owners with the MT82 have been trying every fluid in the BOOK since 2003 and NOTHING has kept these things from disintegrating.
Old 8/9/11, 10:46 AM
Bullitt Member

It's possible but Land Rover Defender and Ford Transit Van owners with the MT82 have been trying every fluid in the BOOK since 2003 and NOTHING has kept these things from disintegrating.
That's my point, this is beyond fluid IMO. I do hope that everyone with this problem gets it resloved.
Old 8/9/11, 12:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not arguing that there are issues with trannies out there although I have not talked to anyone locally in any of the car clubs that have issues.

I wonder at some comments....trying to beat oncoming traffic in a left turn....trying to merge onto the interstate in Cali.......trying to avoid being rear ended or broadsided in an intersection......passing in short zones.......

I guess one needs 412 HP to handle the traffic out there..... I have spent a lot of time in Cal. in the past and I guess those older, slower cars never can get on the road.....I take no more chances in turning at an intersection with this car than I do with my '93 Ranger.....I have seen very few, if any that can react fast enough once it is realized that a car is going to broadside you in an intersection. As fast as this car moves in any gear, seems like passing should not be a problem if proper gear selection is done. If the vehicle you are passing is so slow you are in 2nd, just how far does it take one to get past and pulled in.....do you need to hit 85mph or even WOT..... And, cars of all types stall at lights all the time without being rear ended.

There is a time and place to play with the horsepower these cars have....and I am not saying only the track because I do play..... Just saying...it looks like some are at a constant WOT situation. If my car ever develops a problem in the tranny, I will find it on an open road with no heavy traffic or on a track, not under a "oh crap" situation. I find all this a good excuse to tell the better half I must run thru the gears hard to ensure there is no problem.

FYI, my '11 GT/CS, 6 sp man, built June 25th, 9865 miles since bought new on Nov. 29th., TSB on fluid done at about 6000 miles, skip shift disconnected under at 1000 miles. Usually hit 1/2/3/4 pretty hard about 1 mile from the house.........just for fun.

What I am saying is it seems some should be blaming poor driving judgement for the close calls they are having, not the issues the faulty transmission is having.
Old 8/9/11, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Not arguing that there are issues with trannies out there although I have not talked to anyone locally in any of the car clubs that have issues.

I wonder at some comments....trying to beat oncoming traffic in a left turn....trying to merge onto the interstate in Cali.......trying to avoid being rear ended or broadsided in an intersection......passing in short zones.......

I guess one needs 412 HP to handle the traffic out there..... I have spent a lot of time in Cal. in the past and I guess those older, slower cars never can get on the road.....I take no more chances in turning at an intersection with this car than I do with my '93 Ranger.....I have seen very few, if any that can react fast enough once it is realized that a car is going to broadside you in an intersection. As fast as this car moves in any gear, seems like passing should not be a problem if proper gear selection is done. If the vehicle you are passing is so slow you are in 2nd, just how far does it take one to get past and pulled in.....do you need to hit 85mph or even WOT..... And, cars of all types stall at lights all the time without being rear ended.

There is a time and place to play with the horsepower these cars have....and I am not saying only the track because I do play..... Just saying...it looks like some are at a constant WOT situation. If my car ever develops a problem in the tranny, I will find it on an open road with no heavy traffic or on a track, not under a "oh crap" situation. I find all this a good excuse to tell the better half I must run thru the gears hard to ensure there is no problem.

FYI, my '11 GT/CS, 6 sp man, built June 25th, 9865 miles since bought new on Nov. 29th., TSB on fluid done at about 6000 miles, skip shift disconnected under at 1000 miles. Usually hit 1/2/3/4 pretty hard about 1 mile from the house.........just for fun.

What I am saying is it seems some should be blaming poor driving judgement for the close calls they are having, not the issues the faulty transmission is having.
Sir, the issue is not owner judgement while driving. The issue is really simple. When the owner of a manual transmission vehicle fully depresses the clutch pedal, the shift lever should move into position and the gear engage. That's not happening... rendering the car (and the driver) powerless. That is why the NHTSA is telling owners they consider this situation a "STALL ISSUE". It's no different than depressing the gas pedal in a car with an automatic and the car stalling.
Old 8/9/11, 12:52 PM

Complaints

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...l+Transmission

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...l+Transmission

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems